Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Highlands Inn - Hyatt Carmel REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Highlands Inn - Hyatt Carmel REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2018, 9:46 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by JIMCHI
I have a property map and it shows the two suites in the main lodge are 102 and 105. It appears that 105 is the one below the dining room
Thanks JIMCHI for this information. My Hyatt Concierge was able to pre-block me into 105 for a paid stay in a few months.

I did a little digging and 105 appears to be the "Sunset Suite" while 102 is the "Point Lobos Suite." There are photos of both on Trip Advisor and also a couple of YouTube videos.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 11:43 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium Elite, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Southwest AL CP, Hyatt Globalist
I have booked a room here for the US Open at Pebble Beach in June 2019. I am looking for some restaurant recommendations for both breakfast and "later" night options, as we'll be returning from the golf. I will have a car, but also concerned about traffic during this event. Thanks in advance for any pointers.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 4:49 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by pageboy
I am looking for some restaurant recommendations for both breakfast and "later" night options, as we'll be returning from the golf. I will have a car, but also concerned about traffic during this event.
Here's a list that I started for my own stays at the hotel.

Great dining in Monterey/Carmel
pageboy likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 9:50 pm

I used a category 1-7 certificate for a 1 night stay. Leading up to the stay there were plenty of suites available but the day before check in there were none. I was hoping they blocked out a suite for me but no. I reserved an ocean view room and that is what I received.

good: I arrived very early around 8:45 am. The room the booked me into was a ocean view room on a top floor. That room was not ready yet but the same room on a middle level was available and I accepted. It was nice to be able to check in so early.

Breakfast: very good and high quality ingredients. Amazing view from the restaurant.

Front desk staff: very nice and knowledgeable.

Fireplace: loved having a wood burning fire place in the room.

View: dead center ocean view, unobstructed, very nice.

Cons: room itself was very dated and had a noticeable amount of wear and tear. I would be upset if paying 500+ per night. It seems like a category 5 hotel with great views and a restaurant. It should not be a 7. This is not in the same league as Paris vendom or other 7s. Also, there was no blow dryer in our room.

I am currently at the other hyatt, regency Monterey, was upgraded to the Monterey Suite and even though there are no ocean views, I much prefer this large, nice space to the old outdated room I had at the much more expensive highlands inn. They also provide two drinks for free at the bar, which is a nice touch.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 11:55 pm

Programs: SQ*PPS, QF-WP1 & LTG, VA-Gold, Marriott*LTT, Hilton*Gold, Accor*Platinum
Given the "age" of Highlands and Category 7 vs 6, it would seems that the Carmel Valley Ranch is preferred over the Highlands Inn Hyatt Carmel?
Old Jun 23, 2019, 8:11 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
Originally Posted by shuuy
Given the "age" of Highlands and Category 7 vs 6, it would seems that the Carmel Valley Ranch is preferred over the Highlands Inn Hyatt Carmel?
Depends upon what's important to you. Highlands Inn is pretty much all about the spectacular ocean view. Carmel Valley Ranch is more focused on golf and is a long ways from the ocean. I've stayed at both. As I don't play golf, Carmel Valley Ranch offered me very little.
365RoadWarrior likes this.
Old Oct 20, 2019, 3:04 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, DL PM, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Has anyone had luck as an Explorist with upgrades or using the Club passes?
Old Oct 20, 2019, 3:55 pm

Programs: Hyatt LIFETIME Globalist
Originally Posted by jediwho
Has anyone had luck as an Explorist with upgrades or using the Club passes?
There is no Club at that property.
Old Feb 18, 2020, 9:47 pm

Very good Globalist stay - Feb 2020

Just finished a 3-night stay here on a combination of Cat 7 certificate and points. I really enjoyed it and would recommend it as an aspirational Globalist redemption option, with a few relatively minor nits to call out.

I stayed in one of the two "speciality suites" that are located in the main lodge building, underneath the Sunset Lounge area of the main floor.

(Some background: I originally paid a cash rate for a speciality suite stay in Jan 2019, but got caught up in the government shutdown (couldn't leave town because I was an "essential" employee...don't get me started) and thus had to cancel. The front desk manager, Ozzy, was very understanding at that time and asked me to get in touch when I rescheduled. He very graciously upgraded my Feb 2020 cert-and-points stay into that same specialty suite at no additional charge, which I'm sure would be next to impossible in the summer season.)

Of the two, the "Sunset Suite" (Room 105) where I stayed fronts the ocean and has been recently renovated, but has no fireplace and is located entirely beneath the Lounge and is thus subject to the sounds of footsteps and moving furniture even in the middle of the night when the cleaners are in action. There is also an outdoor stairway that goes past the bedroom and bathroom/hot tub window areas, and while I didn't see anyone use it (it appears to be an "exit only" option from the Lounge that dead-ends into a storage closet), it's still a bit unnerving knowing that people could walk right past you while engaged in all of your business. The other speciality suite, the "Point Lobos Suite" (Room 102), is larger, has a fireplace, is only partially underneath the Lounge, and also has a full ocean view from the living room and adjoining outdoor patio. If I went back I would try to get into Room 102.

The grounds themselves were superbly kept. There are several fire pits and hot tubs located around the property and while I didn't partake seemed quite inviting as spaces to relax. The heated pool is a nice enough space as well, although too small to have any poolside services available (bar etc.). There is an outdoor deck area that serves as a special events space, most commonly for weddings I would guess based on the rose petal debris that I saw one morning LOL. I didn't use the gym on this trip but it seemed well-equipped enough.

As it is a small property, there is only one restaurant and bar in the main lodge building, the former serving breakfast (brunch on Sat-Sun), lunch, and dinner and the latter serving a lighter fare evening food menu. It is definitely pricey to eat and drink here so plan accordingly. The food was outstanding across the board; the chef's daily pasta was one of the best things I've eaten in 2020, and the Dungeness Crab Eggs Benedict was so good I had it two mornings in a row. I only wish there were more options on the dinner menu; having access to the bar menu helped a bit in that respect. It would also be nice if coffee was available in the main lodge in the mornings, and/or if they introduced even a basic grab-and-go option for folks heading out in the morning. Globalist breakfast benefit was applied at checkout and all charges (entree + side + coffee) were wiped; I presume there is a max daily $ limit but clearly I didn't hit it.

The views are, not surprisingly, spectacular from all areas of the dining and drinking complex, and it's quite busy leading up to and just after sunset. Things calm down a bit after it gets dark, and it winds down fairly early during the week. There is cheesy live piano and pre-recorded rhythm section music (think dance hits of the 70s/80s/90s) on the weekends; management would do well to junk that and bring in a classier jazz trio or something similar. The dress code at all times is casual enough where jeans will work.

Service was uniformly friendly and helpful, including (free) valet, front desk, housekeeping, and restaurant/bar. That being said, there were a few hiccups. Housekeeping did turndown service 2 out of 3 nights; some, but not all, toiletries were restocked; and I never received any replacement bottles of water (a quick trip to the front desk provided as many as I wanted, fortunately). One night I ordered a chopped wedge salad, which was great, but when I tried to order it another night the bartender told me the kitchen doesn't pre-chop its salads. But these were small misses within the grander scheme of a really nice stay in a spectacular physical setting.

A few miscellaneous tips:

- A car is an absolute must if you stay here. You can Uber to Carmel and Monterey but the price will add up and the availability of rides can vary significantly during the day. I can't imagine how isolated Alila Ventana must be in comparison.
- Point Lobos State Reserve is worth every minute you spend there, BUT it gets insanely crowded on the weekends and holidays. Best to arrive by 7:45am (gate opens at 8:00am) so that you can get a coveted parking space inside the Reserve and have some quiet time on the trails.
- Carmel-by-the-Sea is really lovely and a great option for lunch.
- I hadn't been to the Monterey Aquarium in 30 years and decided to go back. Definitely not worth the $50 (!!) adult admission fee, especially with the number of screaming kids afoot. Monterey itself (Cannery Row etc.) is super-touristy and overall best avoided IMO.
- Monterey Airport is small but increasingly functional, with multiple nonstops a day to SFO, LAX, PHX, and now DFW among others. Save yourself the hassle of a 2-hour drive from San Jose and fly to MRY if the price is right.

Half of fitness center

Other half of fitness center

Pool complex

One of the hot tubs

Outdoor event space

Property map

Main restaurant and bar

Sunset Lounge "indoor" area (fireplaces on either side of the room)

Sunset Lounge "viewing area"

Pathway access from front entrance (around the bend) to Rooms 102 and 105

Sunset Suite bedroom

Giant hot tub

Apparently renovated shower

Sunset Suite living room

Sunset Suite balcony

Directly beneath the Sunset Lounge
italdesign likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2020, 11:32 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum (LTG), Hilton Gold, United 1K, AA EXP, AS MVP 75K
Post-COVID stay

We stayed on the first day of the hotel reopening (the Residence was opened a week prior I believe) and not surprisingly the experience was lacking. For some context, we originally booked to arrive on 6/16 (the prior grand reopening) which was pushed to 6/19. Our initial booking was confirmed into a Townhouse with a DSU. The opening was pushed to 6/18 and we were given only 28 hours notice. No prob, we pivoted and cut the first two days off our trip. The next day we received a cancelation that stated the resort was now opening on 6/19. Unfortunately we lost our upgrade this time around. No problem, we will just go for the weekend. Oddly, we received no other correspondence from the Highlands team ahead of our arrival and since no one was manning the front desk prior to opening, we could not get any info to manage expectations.

We arrived early at noon. The front desk area looks like a bank counter now with plexiglass everywhere. We were upgraded from our Garden view room to an Oceanview room as a Globalist. We were informed that the restaurant was closed so we would be compensated with 500 points (yay...). The pool was open, the hot tub was closed. The gym has been moved to the second floor of the main building. The fire pits are also still available for use. The hotel was not providing housekeeping to maintain social distancing protocols which we were fine with. Requests to housekeeping was quicker than usual. The staff all wore masks. We felt “safe” during our stay which at this stage is perhaps the most important.

We still enjoyed our stay and the views cannot be beat. But the seclusion of the resort also exacerbated the lack of a restaurant. While we often eat off site, we typically enjoy our free Globalist breakfast at Pacific Edge because we are too lazy in the morning to rush into our day. There are no delivery options in the morning so we (I) had to trek 15-20 minutes each morning to pick up breakfast which was a pain. Most restaurants in the Carmel/ Monterey area were doing a brisk take-out business but be prepared to wait if you do not pre-order. In the end we think the hotel did the best given the circumstances. However, the lack for communication beforehand needs to be corrected (eg. HR Lake Tahoe sent us an email several weeks before to give us a heads up on conditions). We hope to be back when things are somewhat back to normal.
Old Jun 26, 2020, 3:16 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Great review, thanks!
Old Jun 26, 2020, 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by tigerwong
We still enjoyed our stay and the views cannot be beat. But the seclusion of the resort also exacerbated the lack of a restaurant.
I think you are too kind. I cannot imagine staying here without some semblance of food service being available.
Old Jun 26, 2020, 9:11 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
Originally Posted by dpb132
I think you are too kind. I cannot imagine staying here without some semblance of food service being available.
We have a stay for our 40th anniversary at the beginning of August. Have stayed there for our "celebration" for many, many years. But if it is the way it is now, with the restaurant closed, we will cancel and celebrate somewhere else. Unfortunately, maybe just at home
Old Jun 26, 2020, 9:33 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum (LTG), Hilton Gold, United 1K, AA EXP, AS MVP 75K
The staff didn’t know when the kitchen would reopen but the hope was by July.

Originally Posted by JIMCHI
We have a stay for our 40th anniversary at the beginning of August. Have stayed there for our "celebration" for many, many years. But if it is the way it is now, with the restaurant closed, we will cancel and celebrate somewhere else. Unfortunately, maybe just at home
Old Jun 27, 2020, 12:03 am

Programs: Hilton LTD, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LTTE, AA LTP, Avis PC, National EE, Seabourn DE
I couldn't figure out the (yay) for getting 500 points for the restaurant being closed. Missing breakfast for two = 10 dollars? I don't think so. Good report. Unless you're in a residence, this is not the place to be without a restaurant..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.