Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Highlands Inn - Hyatt Carmel REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Highlands Inn - Hyatt Carmel REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2022, 11:26 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
We're staying here now as we do every year for about the past 20. Staying in one of our favorite rooms (a Ocean View Townhouse Spa Suite) in the 500 series block. The room has been completely renovated- new carpeting, furniture, wall coverings, light colored paint that makes the room much lighter. All wood surfaces and cabinets have been refinished or replaced. It no longer has the "tired" look that many have complained about. Only downside is that the wood burning fireplace has been replaced with a gas log one, I guess in response to complaints about smoke. Breakfast was outstanding as always and they still serve my favorite, the Point Lobos with Dungeness crab.

We checked in a few minutes before 4 p.m. and the room wasn't ready but said housekeeping was working in it and it was ready for us about 20 minutes later. Full housekeeping every day has been restored.

We couldn't be happier with the changes that have taken place.
Old Aug 10, 2022, 10:01 pm

Do you know/can you ask if all the rooms have been renovated? Thanks!
Old Aug 26, 2022, 10:31 pm
eh9

Globalist breakfast

For globalist I saw 1 entrée and drink per person, has anyone had more comped or is it pretty strict?
Old Aug 27, 2022, 9:31 pm

For my Globalist breakfast, mid-July, it was coffee, and juice and entrée. I was charged for an additional side. Fair enough.
Old Aug 28, 2022, 1:26 am
Suspended

This morning i ordered 1 regular larger entree plus juice, but my wife ordered several smaller items (oatmeal, berry plate, side of toast, cold non juice beverage and hot beverage) and they zeroed out everything at checkout including the 20% tip i left. Food was all excellent and view was gorgeous.

Only complaint with breakfast is service ends at 10am and still no room service at all post covid. We slept through it yesterday but found a fantastic breakfast spot in Carmel (From Scratch Restaurant in the Barnyard center which has breakfast until 2pm for the late risers out there)
joecool1885 likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2022, 10:15 pm

Programs: AA PP, UA 1K/MM, WoH Globalist, HH Gold
Any recent reviews/stays and in particular breakfast for globalists and room upgrades?
Old Oct 22, 2022, 4:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP 4MM, Piper Dakota, Admirals Club, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Gold, Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by Infinite1K
Any recent reviews/stays and in particular breakfast for globalists and room upgrades?
I am also interested in this information.
Old Oct 25, 2022, 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by 236Dakota
I am also interested in this information.
We stayed here in August, no room upgrade as the property was full. The unit had not been renovated, however, my understanding is they intend to do this next year. The landscaping / grounds maintenance looked nice. We had a maintenance issue in the unit and it was repaired less than an hour from when I told the front desk.

Regarding breakfast, we had four people (wife, two kiddos, and myself) and breakfast was 100% taken care of at time of checkout.
Infinite1K likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2022, 9:50 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Amtrak Select
Stayed 1 night last night. Third visit in the last 7 years. I wouldn't normally be inclined to stay here, but the government rate was the same as the government rate at the Regency, so I decided to try it once more.

Arrived several minutes past 9, and found the restaurant was already closed. Was fine since we already ate, though. Asked the front desk about the bar, they said it too closed at 9. We would shortly after see on the welcome paperwork and the website that bar closed at 10. Unsure what the reality was.

No upgrade offer, even though we're globalists and Horizon View Suite was showing on the app. Given the history of complaints about service here, I didn't feel like pushing.

Breakfast was in a different spot then in the past, and we preferred the new location. The menu, however, was not what it used to be. Asked about adding crab to the omelette, and server said it would be $20 (as shown on the menu for a side of crab), and it wouldn't be included in my free breakfast.
Wife and I both ordered Point Lobos benedict, which we enjoyed. But I went through some of my photos and found the menu from our 2015 visit... much better options including french toast. Back then I loved my omelet with artichoke and crab ($4 surcharge, and IIRC included as part of free breakfast).

Room was as it always was... unimpressive/borderline dingy, with a view that beats out any other NorCal Hyatt.

Man that view, though! It's so good it's frustrating, because it makes you resent just how mediocre the rest of the hotel is.

I mean, they were storing a vacuum cleaner in our closet. Really? 🙄

Fix the rooms to have decent, solid bathrooms (heat the floor, put the sink in with the rest of it, get rid of the tub since it's cheap and leave a solid sized shower instead, etc).
Then find some James Beard type chef and completely revamp the restaurant.

Get a doorman and round-the-clock valet.
​Make check-in more elegant.

And some other things. This place has the potential to be one of the "it" properties, but seems they have no interest in making it nice.

That view though!

ETA: I forgot to mention the most ridiculous aspect of this place... a note on the welcome paper saying that as a precautionary measure, late checkout is not available due to enhanced cleaning protocols. 🤣🤣🤣 Glad we weren't planning on checking out late, or I'd be pissed.

Last edited by joecool1885; Dec 2, 2022 at 10:09 pm
Old Dec 2, 2022, 9:55 pm

Originally Posted by joecool1885
Stayed 1 night last night. Third visit in the last 7 years. I wouldn't normally be inclined to stay here, but the government rate was the same as the government rate at the Regency, so I decided to try it once more.

Arrived several minutes past 9, and found the restaurant was already closed. Was fine since we already ate, though. Asked the front desk about the bar, they said it too closed at 9. We would shortly after see on the welcome paperwork and the website that bar closed at 10. Unsure what the reality was.

No upgrade offer, even though we're globalists and Horizon View Suite was showing on the app. Given the history of complaints about service here, I didn't feel like pushing.

Breakfast was in a different spot then in the past, and we preferred the new location. The menu, however, was not what it used to be. Asked about adding crab to the omelette, and server said it would be $20 (as shown on the menu for a side of crab), and it wouldn't be included in my free breakfast.
Wife and I both ordered Point Lobos benedict, which we enjoyed. But I went through some of my photos and found the menu from our 2015 visit... much better options including french toast. Back then I loved my omelet with artichoke and crab ($4 surcharge, and IIRC included as part of free breakfast).

Room was as it always was... unimpressive/borderline dingy, with a view that beats out any other NorCal Hyatt.

Man that view, though! It's so good it's frustrating, because it makes you resent just how mediocre the rest of the hotel is.

I mean, they were storing a vacuum cleaner in our closet. Really? 🙄

Fix the rooms to have decent, solid bathrooms (heat the floor, put the sink in with the rest of it, get rid of the tub since it's cheap and leave a solid sized shower instead, etc).
Then find some James Beard type chef and completely revamp the restaurant.

Get a doorman and round-the-clock valet.
​Make check-in more elegant.

And some other things. This place has the potential to be one of the "it" properties, but seems they have no interest in making it nice.
half the property is timeshare and i’m sure each owner doesn’t want to pony up the $$$ to cover a quarter mil tab per room
Old Dec 2, 2022, 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by Colin
half the property is timeshare and i’m sure each owner doesn’t want to pony up the $$$ to cover a quarter mil tab per room
Yeah, I forgot about the timeshare part. Isn't that owned and/or run by Marriott? If so, the crappy parts of the hotel make a lot more sense 😉
Old Apr 26, 2023, 2:09 pm

It appears this has gone back to a Cat 7.
Old Apr 26, 2023, 2:25 pm

Yes, Cat 7. The whole property (not just the timeshare portion) is managed by HRC, now owned by MVC. Technically not “Marriott Hotels”, but a lot of close ties.
Old Apr 26, 2023, 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by bcampbell1324
It appears this has gone back to a Cat 7.
an Aubergine dinner w/ a Cat7 cert is in my future
Old Apr 26, 2023, 4:44 pm

Didn't know Hyatt backtracked these things. Glad to hear, but now I hope CVR does the same (seems doubtful).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.