Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Highlands Inn - Hyatt Carmel REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Highlands Inn - Hyatt Carmel REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2021, 1:53 pm
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG, SBB-CFF-FFS First Class GA
Originally Posted by JIMCHI
Yes, TSU's are good here only because this property is both a resort and a Residence Club. The view all depends upon where your room is located, although almost all of them have some view. Just some might have some partial obstruction from another building. We prefer the Ocean View Townhouse Spa Suites numbered 501 to 506 the best. So you're not disappointed, keep in mind this is quite an old property. While the interiors have been updated, they still don't have furnishings that you would expect in a hotel with rates as high as they are here. We just think the location can't be beat - near Carmel, great views, and a very good restaurant (which is still closed for dinner, but great for breakfast).
I‘m confirmed in a Townhouse Spa Suite with TSU, and have requested a room in the 501-506 range. Since it is more than 3 months out they obviously cannot guarantee.
thanks for your help.
Old Sep 28, 2021, 2:28 pm
formerly a193991

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG, SBB-CFF-FFS First Class GA
Would I get the HRC brand badge for staying here?
Old Sep 28, 2021, 2:30 pm

Programs: Globalist, Diamond via Aspire
Originally Posted by 59Impala
Would I get the HRC brand badge for staying here?
No, HYATT.
Old Oct 16, 2021, 2:41 pm
formerly a193991

I actually just cancelled my reservation here and moved to Carmel Valley Ranch.
while the view may be spectacular, we cannot imagine staying in a room (used TSU) that most probably will smell old and grouchy/muffy,

Recent TA reviews are quite negative in this respect. Downgraded from a PH to Hyatt… I presume a renovation is due.
Old Oct 21, 2021, 5:53 pm

while the view may be spectacular, we cannot imagine staying in a room (used TSU) that most probably will smell old and grouchy/muffy,

Recent TA reviews are quite negative in this respect. Downgraded from a PH to Hyatt… I presume a renovation is due.
i enjoy Rancho Sante Fe and Maui Upcountry and Carmel Valley. i wouldn’t base a trip around them. a long weekend maybe. maybe.
Old Oct 21, 2021, 6:24 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS

All depends upon what you're looking for. For us, Carmel and Monterey mean the ocean. We wouldn't think about staying anyplace in that area that didn't have a direct ocean view. I can find hotels with the ambiance of Carmel Valley many places in the country. Of course, you can drive from Carmel Valley to the ocean, but being on the ocean and being able to sit outside our hotel room and view it makes all the difference to us. Hyatt Carmel Valley is certainly a more polished resort but the suites at Highlands Inn are certainly much older but not run down.
Colin and 59Impala like this.
Old Jan 8, 2022, 6:34 pm

Stayed here for two nights using certificates right after Christmas. Actually really enjoyed the stay. The room was large and had a great view. Yes, it was a little dated, but with character. The wood fireplace was great and we used it nightly. Everything you needed to start the fire was in the room at arrival. I don't think we saw other guests the entire time we were there.
I considered a move to Ventana (better positioned for photography) after last minute points availability opened but we were really happy we stayed here. Highlands is closer to town for getting food.
Was told globalist get whatever they want from menu but we're not hotel restaurant people and we were glad we could get into Carmel quickly for a coffee in the morning.
Old Jan 31, 2022, 9:34 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
I'd have to agree with the One Mile At A Time review of this place, which is 1/5 stars. Truly the most disappointing Hyatt stay I have had in a long time.

I burned a TSU on a cash+points room here. Normal rate for a suite was around $1000. I booked this by phone — there was no word about 'reduced services' though I always assume some things are limited due to the pandemic, of course.

Getting there, we checked in no problem. A man told us they'd lead us to our room (which is a short drive from the check-in desk). Upon returning from reception to our car, the person was just... gone. OK, we have a map.

The room had all its windows and doors opened, putting it at a balmy 59 degrees. That's fine, we'll turn the heat on. I don't mind the room being a bit dated; it's nice that you have a full kitchen and a big soaking tub (we got the Spa Suite). The two story layout is nice. Once we ran a bath we noticed a horrendous grinding and loud noise coming out of two speakers in the ceiling. I tried to fix it myself (circuit breakers, switches) but to no avail. I called the front desk who sent a tech over — about 30 minutes later he arrived and told us it's a known issue with the entire block of rooms and the front desk was aware of it.

OK then.

I called the front desk to ask for another room. After a good 30 minute wait on hold the front desk assured me someone was on the way to get us moved to another room. Great. 45 or so minutes later, someone showed up. It was a man with an incredibly annoyed attitude, holding out room keys at me. Here's your keys, he said, and just left. Grabbed our stuff out of our room and drove ourself there. Top notch service.

We moved to find out next room and drove our stuff over. It was late at this point so we hoped to get some food — but no, the restaurant is closed. No advance notice of this on the site or when called or checking in either. We ordered UberEats. Definitely a quality $1000/night experience so far.

In the morning, the room was entered around 9 by housekeeping. My problem, I suppose, I never left the door card on. I put the 'do not disturb' tag on, at which point we were again bothered at 10, 10:30, 11 and a little past that. At 11 I even got a call from someone who angrily said 'you guys have to check out' - verbatim, those words. Not even a hint of politeness or service minded attitude in a single moment. Somewhere that morning we also ordered 'in room dining' only to be told we have to pick it up from the restaurant. OK. I suppose you should be happy, because I can't imagine how they'd deliver the food short of literally throwing it at you.

We left and we won't be back. There's far better properties around here at half the price point. I have no idea how this place has managed to create such a horrendously abrasive culture that almost everyone I interacted with, save for reception and the kind folks working the breakfast restaurant who I picked up the food from. For what it's worth, I always kindly address people and treat them as my peers, was never demanding or otherwise disagreeable. I've never had experiences like this at any Hyatt property, honestly. If you're considering this spot, maybe just go to CVR instead. Maybe you won't get a view, but you'll at least feel a lot better
Thunderroad likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2022, 10:43 am

We stay there once a year for our anniversary. Fortunately have never had anything as bad as this happen. But their rates are absolutely outrageous for what you get. Their cheapest room is now almost $800 a night during the summer. I guess there must be some people silly enough to pay this. I use a points + cash plus a TSU which brings the rate down by 50% but even that is steep for the condition of the property.
joecool1885 likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2022, 1:28 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by caliform
I'd have to agree with the One Mile At A Time review of this place, which is 1/5 stars. Truly the most disappointing Hyatt stay I have had in a long time.

I burned a TSU on a cash+points room here. Normal rate for a suite was around $1000. I booked this by phone — there was no word about 'reduced services' though I always assume some things are limited due to the pandemic, of course.

Getting there, we checked in no problem. A man told us they'd lead us to our room (which is a short drive from the check-in desk). Upon returning from reception to our car, the person was just... gone. OK, we have a map.

The room had all its windows and doors opened, putting it at a balmy 59 degrees. That's fine, we'll turn the heat on. I don't mind the room being a bit dated; it's nice that you have a full kitchen and a big soaking tub (we got the Spa Suite). The two story layout is nice. Once we ran a bath we noticed a horrendous grinding and loud noise coming out of two speakers in the ceiling. I tried to fix it myself (circuit breakers, switches) but to no avail. I called the front desk who sent a tech over — about 30 minutes later he arrived and told us it's a known issue with the entire block of rooms and the front desk was aware of it.

OK then.

I called the front desk to ask for another room. After a good 30 minute wait on hold the front desk assured me someone was on the way to get us moved to another room. Great. 45 or so minutes later, someone showed up. It was a man with an incredibly annoyed attitude, holding out room keys at me. Here's your keys, he said, and just left. Grabbed our stuff out of our room and drove ourself there. Top notch service.

We moved to find out next room and drove our stuff over. It was late at this point so we hoped to get some food — but no, the restaurant is closed. No advance notice of this on the site or when called or checking in either. We ordered UberEats. Definitely a quality $1000/night experience so far.

In the morning, the room was entered around 9 by housekeeping. My problem, I suppose, I never left the door card on. I put the 'do not disturb' tag on, at which point we were again bothered at 10, 10:30, 11 and a little past that. At 11 I even got a call from someone who angrily said 'you guys have to check out' - verbatim, those words. Not even a hint of politeness or service minded attitude in a single moment. Somewhere that morning we also ordered 'in room dining' only to be told we have to pick it up from the restaurant. OK. I suppose you should be happy, because I can't imagine how they'd deliver the food short of literally throwing it at you.

We left and we won't be back. There's far better properties around here at half the price point. I have no idea how this place has managed to create such a horrendously abrasive culture that almost everyone I interacted with, save for reception and the kind folks working the breakfast restaurant who I picked up the food from. For what it's worth, I always kindly address people and treat them as my peers, was never demanding or otherwise disagreeable. I've never had experiences like this at any Hyatt property, honestly. If you're considering this spot, maybe just go to CVR instead. Maybe you won't get a view, but you'll at least feel a lot better
I have to make a mental note never to return there. Not because I've had such a terrible experience (mine were all.... decent), but simply because I can't get behind a hotel that would do this to customers. If it were a one-off, maybe I could let it go, but their general terrible service is reportedly pretty consistent.

Call me when they have new management and fire their current staff.

Meanwhile at CVR, I've enjoyed every stay (though my first visit right at the start of the pandemic was far superior to any of my subsequent stays). Fireplace, outdoor tub, lovely hiking in the area. Will return there a dozen times over.
Frankly, even HR Monterey seems to be a better choice.
Thunderroad and caliform like this.
Old Jan 31, 2022, 10:48 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
I first went there in 2014. At that time, I really liked this hotel - the view, the service, the food and the high quality room. We stayed at a studio at that time and was amazed by the large hot tub in the room, and the shared one outside. We went there again in late 2020 and stayed at a townhouse. The view was still unbeatable and the common area of the hotel was very beautiful. But the room had become really dated and there was NOT much to do within this hotel (compared with Ventana Big Sur). It definitely need some remodel at certain point. I published a youtube video of this hotel if you would like to learn more about this hotel.

JIMCHI, Thunderroad, bbbb and 3 others like this.
Old Feb 1, 2022, 9:36 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt GP Platinum
I really want to love this hotel..... because I enjoyed it so much when it was a Park Hyatt. But it's been 20 years, and nothing has been done to upgrade this hotel. I think the furnishings are probably 20+ years old. But is there any other hotels that offer in room fireplace?

During my latest stay, I was scolded by the front desk that my kids were too loud and I need to keep it down because people are trying to sleep. What she didn't realize was that the hot water circuit breaker tripped, so the room had no hot water since check-in.... hence why my kids were still up, waiting for hot water so we can shower!

Really nice location, and the hotel has so much potential. But this hotel lacks customer service & rooms are really outdated.
Old Feb 1, 2022, 9:41 am

Believe it or not, the furniture -at least in the ocean view spa suites- was updated just a couple of years ago but is of very low quality.
caliform likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2022, 2:23 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by fishy21
But is there any other hotels that offer in room fireplace?
Ventana has in-room wood-burning fireplace.
Carmel Valley Ranch has in-room gas fireplace.
fishy21 likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2022, 7:45 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
Originally Posted by JIMCHI
Believe it or not, the furniture -at least in the ocean view spa suites- was updated just a couple of years ago but is of very low quality.
Oh, I absolutely believe it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.