Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Highlands Inn - Hyatt Carmel REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Highlands Inn - Hyatt Carmel REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2016, 12:20 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, 2 mm, Marriott Gold
The smoke is really bad and I would avoid going down there until the fire is under control. Where I live the smoke is too high to smell but it's been pretty thick this week, it has blocked out the sun, like a fog. An on shore breeze has kicked in today so now the smoke is headed inland.... blue skies have returned. Looking inland from my deck it looks like a huge brownish ban of fog, thick and ugly.

Wild Fires are a part of life in California, 99% are caused by humans unfortunately.

Originally Posted by gaobest
We are scheduled for August 13. I'm also quite surprised - we own 2 weeks and I definitely never considered this devastating fire to get so massive.
Old Jul 31, 2016, 3:55 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, southwest A List Preferred, American Platinum
We were to have arrived today, but decided to cancel yesterday after the fire got even worse. I am older and have asthma, so there was no way we could stay there with how bad the smoke is. Hyatt Residence Club was great and waived the cancellation fee. Very sad we won't be there this week as we love it out there, but are making lemonade out of lemons and are gonna hop in the car tomorrow and drive 8 hours to see the grandkids. I feel so bad for the people who live out there.
Old Aug 5, 2016, 2:41 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
I booked a C&P reservation here which has a "Cancel within 14 days or pay 1 night" policy. If I cancel my C&P reservation will I still be charged for a night?
Old Aug 7, 2016, 11:39 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Amtrak Select
Just took a spur of the moment one night P+C trip down here. Nightly rate $540 otherwise for Garden view.Comped an upgrade as Diamond to King Ocean View. Called before I made the reservation to ask about quality, and agree with the front desk's assessment. It is clear right now, and no smoke problems (other than the usual smokiness of many people here using the fireplaces). But could change at any time with the weather. Front desk said much better this week than last. Check out today.
Old Aug 11, 2016, 8:05 pm

I've got 3 nights booked here over Labor Day weekend and we will likely get some of the wine tasting passports in Carmel. Although we will have a car, are taxis readily available or does the property have drivers available (obviously for a fee) in case we decide to make a day out of it?
Old Aug 11, 2016, 9:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by bmrisko
are taxis readily available or does the property have drivers available (obviously for a fee) in case we decide to make a day out of it?
Uber
Old Aug 12, 2016, 5:09 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
Uber
Good to know they operate in the area...thanks. ^
Old Aug 16, 2016, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
We are at the end of our stay here and it has been clear. Just depends on the wind. We've been lucky the past few days.
Highway 1 is definitely closed or limited when you go about 20+ miles south of highlands inn.
Incidentally the hot tub by the pool is drained / closed. They've been having problems with That hot tub for the past few stays we've had during 2014 and 2015!
Old Aug 22, 2016, 9:37 pm

Earlier posts on this thread mention that vacation club rooms can be booked for 15,000 points. Is this still possible?

I'm signed up for the 2-night Residence Club promo. Thinking to tack on an extra night but not sure if it's worth a Category 6 redemption.
Old Sep 1, 2016, 5:13 pm

We are here now and received Room 511, which is an ocean view king. That is the room we booked as Diamonds and I am perfectly happy with it. The views are pretty much unobstructed and it is one the highest level of rooms.

Does anyone know what kind of timeshare info I have to jump through to get the 10% off food voucher?
Old Sep 1, 2016, 9:05 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
We are here now and received Room 511, which is an ocean view king. That is the room we booked as Diamonds and I am perfectly happy with it. The views are pretty much unobstructed and it is one the highest level of rooms.

Does anyone know what kind of timeshare info I have to jump through to get the 10% off food voucher?
When we were there 2 weeks ago the timeshare people at the desk in the lobby just offered the discount coupon - no attendance was required.
Old Sep 1, 2016, 11:25 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Amtrak Select

Based on my experience, food isn't that great there... except breakfast. I wouldn't sit through 5 minutes of timeshare info for a 10% off voucher regardless of food quality though. If you're gonna subject yourself to a presentation, they have great offers for Hawaii, which includes a ton of bonus points.
Old Sep 2, 2016, 7:54 am

Originally Posted by joecool1885
Based on my experience, food isn't that great there... except breakfast. I wouldn't sit through 5 minutes of timeshare info for a 10% off voucher regardless of food quality though. If you're gonna subject yourself to a presentation, they have great offers for Hawaii, which includes a ton of bonus points.
We've had just the opposite experience. Our dinners at Pacific Edge have been outstanding, but not inexpensive. And you can't beat the view from there.
Old Sep 2, 2016, 5:58 pm

I took advantage of a free wine tasting last night and just had a few apps in the Sunset Lounge. We don't plan on doing dinner at Pacific Edge as we have been trying local spots in Carmel. The free breakfast in the market has been satisfactory so far.

Does anyone know what they use the patio outside of Pacific Edge for? There are a ton of couches, but I never see anyone out here. Not sure if they treat it as a lounge or what as it is in a pretty weird spot. My wife and I have just been using it to chill out during the day and no one has said anything. The main lounge area has always been closed for timeshare presentations which is pissing me off.
Old Sep 2, 2016, 6:02 pm

I took advantage of a free wine tasting last night and just had a few apps in the Sunset Lounge. We don't plan on doing dinner at Pacific Edge as we have been trying local spots in Carmel. The free breakfast in the market has been satisfactory so far.

Does anyone know what they use the patio outside of Pacific Edge for? There are a ton of couches, but I never see anyone out here. Not sure if they treat it as a lounge or what as it is in a pretty weird spot. My wife and I have just been using it to chill out during the day and no one has said anything. The main lounge area has always been closed for timeshare presentations which is pissing me off.
At some point, the California Market will be closed and relocated to the Pacific Edge. The outdoor area will be used for dining.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.