Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Highlands Inn - Hyatt Carmel REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Highlands Inn - Hyatt Carmel REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2015, 10:35 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
Originally Posted by booberroad
We stayed on my birthday in May this year. Front desk staff are nice but they suck in terms of showing you a map unless you ask, telling you what activities are happening at the hotel, they don't tell you squat unless you ask ie about the Diamond amenity and when I said it was my birthday (I mean they even saw it on my license and I verbally casually mentioned it) and asked if they do anything I was told no. No biggie but somewhat disappointed, not even a card? Other places like Park Hyatt Tokyo offer cake!

We do love the area this property is located.
We checked in last night same thing. No acknowledgement of diamond until you ask. Other than that, we love the somewhat dated town home suite we find it rustic and charming. The breakfast is ok nothing to write home about but it was decent. The views at breakfast are gorgeous. Turn down service provides generic Hyatt branded water which is fine as well. Better than nothing. Everyone is nice. We plan on returning. Just don't expect them to appreciate you as a diamond or explain the property upon check in and you will not be disappointed.
I had just the opposite experience during my 2 stays. Promptly recognized as a Diamond and asked about the amenity and was also given a map with our room circled and closest parking lot noted.
Old Mar 28, 2016, 10:53 pm

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Hmmm, so have a 3 night stay here coming up this weekend. Very cheap corporate rate, DSU applied on top with the help of my PL agent. Just tried to call in to pre-assign a room per advice in this thread. No dice...won't pre-assign, just know it is going to be in the 501-508 range because that's where the townhouses are. Said I could try again day of check-in.... Did something change or do I need to call back when the day shift is on duty?
Old Mar 29, 2016, 8:44 am

Programs: UA-GS, Hyatt-Defiantly Diamond, Marriott-Platinum, SPG-Platinum
Originally Posted by jasonvr
Hmmm, so have a 3 night stay here coming up this weekend. Very cheap corporate rate, DSU applied on top with the help of my PL agent. Just tried to call in to pre-assign a room per advice in this thread. No dice...won't pre-assign, just know it is going to be in the 501-508 range because that's where the townhouses are. Said I could try again day of check-in.... Did something change or do I need to call back when the day shift is on duty?
I don't think this was ever a documented option, meaning it's all who you get on the phone, hit and miss, not predictable. I'd HUACA on day shift, yes.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 10:56 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
The townhouses extend well beyond #508. Also they told me they assign the rooms 2-3 days in advance. I'd call the Front Office Manager 3 days ahead and request what you want.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 8:28 pm

I was there late Feb and sent an email to them about 1 week before our stay. Ended up with room 501
Old Mar 29, 2016, 9:01 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold.
501 is probably the best, only downsides I can think of would be proximity to the pool and number of people passing by your front door. I'd say 501-505 are all pretty solid.
Old Apr 3, 2016, 8:52 pm

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
3 night getaway

Hyatt Carmel Highlands

Map| 1 Review | 100% Recommended

Hyatt Carmel Highlands

120 Highland Dr Carmel, CA US 93923

3 night getaway (18 Photos)

Hyatt Carmel Highlands

Just finished up a three night stay here with my wife.  Some observations from my stay (some new, some possibly unmentioned before, some already stated)

• Spent three nights in a townhouse suite using a DSU to upgrade from a cheap corporate rate
  • Tried to call in ahead to get 502 assigned based on the advice in this thread, but when I checked in was assigned 508.
  • Wasn't until I inquired about breakfast that I was given my breakfast coupons and asked about my amenity or points
  • Inquired about breakfast via room service - no longer allowed.  Confirmed by another agent the next day.
  • The suite had air conditioning contrary to earlier reports.  It is a split system with AC both in the living room upstairs as well as in the bedroom downstairs.  More on this later
  • Decent LG TVs both upstairs and downstairs, including a BluRay player upstairs.  Decent selection of HD stations available.  Oddly only one remote between the two though...
  • Decor is not nearly as dated as I was led to believe based on reviews here.  I was half expecting to walk in to wall-to-wall olive green, linoleum, etc.  While the furnishings are showing their age in some areas, it is still quite sufficient
  • The shower downstairs is really small.  It still isn't the smallest shower I've ever seen (that honor still goes to the Hilton in Florence), but I did accidentally change the temperature just by trying to bend over and wash my legs....
  • There are stashes of firewood all over the place for use in the fireplace which was just great to use at night.
  • Breakfast until 11am on weekdays and 11:30 on weekends.  Breakfast menu is actually more limited on weekends though (less breakfast items but more lunch items available).  Everything is ala carte.  Don't expect a side of bacon to come with your omelet.
  • Got the obligatory phone call from Hyatt Residence Club offering discounts, etc.  Politely declined
  • When we checked in we were told the bar stayed open until 10.  First night tried to go down at about 940pm for a night cap and it was buttoned up tight.  Everything long since put away, door pulled over all the booze etc.  Informed the front desk and they just shrugged and said they would inform management
  • Valet parking is complimentary
  • There is complimentary laundry on site.  3 different locations.  Free single use soap provided
  • There is a ping pong table available for use next to the gym
  • Breakfast initially showed up on my bill but was removed without me asking
  • Was charged full resort fee of $20/night, but I also didn't try to fight it
  • Contrary to other reports, do not disturb sign was respected.  Actually forgot to take it down when we left the first day and came back to a voicemail informing us when last possible service was.
  • No hair dryer in the room.  Asked at the front desk on the first day and one was delivered within minutes

And now in the news category: they are renovating.  They are starting with AC but will also be revamping the rooms.  Could explain why I thought the decor was much less dated than others had reported.  All rooms will get AC.  California Market will move upstairs where Pacific's Edge currently is. They'll be making a new outdoor dining area as well.  

Breakfast coupon that violates HGP policies by trying to exclude gratuity and tax (wound up not being an issue)

View from Breakfast

Upstairs TV and BluRay Player

Fireplace

Couch Upstairs

Various Interior Photos

Air Conditioning

Bikes Available for Complimentary Guest Use

View from the Balcony of 508

3 night getaway

Would you like to write a review on the Hyatt Carmel Highlands?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Apr 4, 2016, 3:23 am

Wasn't until I inquired about breakfast that I was given my breakfast coupons and asked about my amenity or points Inquired about breakfast via room service - no longer allowed.  Confirmed by another agent the next day.
Sounds like things are changing. I was there in late Feb and there were no breakfast certificates. They told us at check-in that the breakfast would be automatically removed from our bill (which it was). We didn't order room service, but we were told room service could be ordered, but the room service fee would not be covered. Gratuity was covered, but tax was not fit breakfast
Old Apr 4, 2016, 5:41 am

Programs: AA EXP & AAirpass, Hyatt Courtesy Card, SPG Platinum
The breakfast coupon shown above looks like one of the old ones that were phased out a while back. Maybe just a mistake? We stayed here not too long ago and just charged breakfast to the room--and it was promptly removed at check out.

Originally Posted by bjk497
Sounds like things are changing. I was there in late Feb and there were no breakfast certificates. They told us at check-in that the breakfast would be automatically removed from our bill (which it was). We didn't order room service, but we were told room service could be ordered, but the room service fee would not be covered. Gratuity was covered, but tax was not fit breakfast
Old Apr 4, 2016, 11:55 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold.
I am hoping they don't go they way of breakfast vouchers. We were there back in October, mix of CA market and room service, all charges were removed including room service charge, tax and gratuity.

I'd hate to see the room service option disappear.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 10:47 pm

Originally Posted by tyvoodoo
I am hoping they don't go they way of breakfast vouchers. We were there back in October, mix of CA market and room service, all charges were removed including room service charge, tax and gratuity.

I'd hate to see the room service option disappear.
Well we'll have to wait for someone else to stay there to confirm or dispel what I was told. And if the next person gets told something different I'm gonna be a little ticked since I asked two different people at two different times and got the same answer.

Also - my points have already posted even though I only checked out yesterday! However they didn't post my 1000pt Diamond amenity Oh well, even more points for me for the retro bonus.
Old Apr 5, 2016, 12:47 pm

I was there a month ago an was informed no more room service option for diamond breakfast an very basic food / beverage amenity (seltzer water an fruit ) no wine option. Full breakfast tab from CA MKT was removed each morning.
Old Apr 5, 2016, 1:00 pm

Programs: Hyatt globalist, Alaska mvp gold, Marriott platinum, ihg diamond
All of the Hyatt residence Clubs and the Hyatt highlands Inn hotel were purchased by Interval Leisure Group/Interval International, a timeshare management company. The new management has made many changes with the operation of the residence club at Carmel, and none are the benefit of the customer. They have reduced housekeeping and newspaper delivery which were once touted as justification for the high maintenance fees. On my last visit in january the staff were uninformed and inconsistent. Will be staying again in the hotel in a few weeks and will report back.
Old Apr 5, 2016, 10:12 pm

Programs: AA Plt 3MM; UA 1K 2 MM; MR Lifetime Plat; HH Lifetime Diamond; HH Diamond; IGH Spire Ambas; SPG Gold
They are starting with AC but will also be revamping the rooms.
Do all rooms and suites now have the updated AC units?
Old Apr 5, 2016, 11:04 pm

Originally Posted by travelexpert
Do all rooms and suites now have the updated AC units?
I don't believe so. The only ones I know for sure are 507 and 508 since I could see both units from my window. My guess would be that 501-508 are guaranteed since they are all together. Unknown about the rest.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.