Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Sydney (Post-Reno) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2016, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: bhrubin
I have an upcoming stay and read the entire thread. I saw some common themes, and thought it would be useful to start a wiki. Please feel free to update or correct anything. I haven't stayed here, so the information is based on the contents of the thread:

- Diamond Suite Upgrades are NOT available at this property.
- Diamond members receive a complimentary full breakfast for up to 4 guests.
- The beds are very firm platform beds. I saw a few posts where a foam pad for the top of the bed was requested.
- Docked cruise ships that may obstruct the view from the Harbour view rooms.
- The hotel is 4 stories.

The concierge desk offers a weekly tour of the Rocks on Saturday.

Link that shows when cruise ships will be docked opposite the hotel:
https://www.portauthoritynsw.com.au/...ruise-schedule

Room Types and Floorplans:
https://www.scribd.com/document/3404...t-Sydney-Rooms

Expert Review posted in Luxury Forum: http://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-reviews/r-wonderful-park-hyatt-sydney-stay-and-city-harbor-view-with-a-few-caveats-1943
Print Wikipost

Park Hyatt Sydney (Post-Reno) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2014, 1:56 pm

Programs: CX DM, BA G4L, QR PLT, EK PLT, Hyatt CourtesyC, HH DM, SQ PPS, BonvoyTit, UK, VS, UA, DL, AA
the service here is all about the details.. the GM in charge of this property right now is one of the finest in the Hyatt system and its clear that the results show in the details
Old Apr 11, 2014, 2:22 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by avm2806
the service here is all about the details.. the GM in charge of this property right now is one of the finest in the Hyatt system and its clear that the results show in the details

I agree ^

And a number of the superb heartfelt team members
There will always be bumps in the road however the property always seems ready to make things right when they can and be pro-active even if guests don't report the issues.
Perfection may be in heaven but for earth as it stands today this is pretty darn good for those that can afford it or cough up a large volume of points to pay for it
Old Apr 14, 2014, 5:18 am

Programs: UA nada, Hyatt Disc, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by avm2806
I agree. I've never stayed anywhere else where the GM ensures a hand-written greeting card is left in your room when you arrive. We also noted that the staff across the board were polished, professional, polite, and amazingly helpful.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 6:33 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by SeaRaptor
I agree. I've never stayed anywhere else where the GM ensures a hand-written greeting card is left in your room when you arrive. We also noted that the staff across the board were polished, professional, polite, and amazingly helpful.
IME, this is standard at all PHs for Diamonds... except the PH MEL when Sholto left and Jenny Soo took over. Nothing makes you feel less at home than getting a lovely handwritten note for over 5 years for it to be replaced by a printed one, with your first name spelt incorrect...
Old Apr 14, 2014, 6:37 am

Programs: UA nada, Hyatt Disc, Hilton Gold
We weren't super-impressed with the PH Toronto when compared to the PHS, but I did get a nice note from the GM after I filled out my post-stay survey.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 6:40 am
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by SeaRaptor
We weren't super-impressed with the PH Toronto when compared to the PHS, but I did get a nice note from the GM after I filled out my post-stay survey.
The difference being that a handwritten welcome note is truly personal. Especially if you're a repeat guest and it's individualised. A post survey response is required by Hyatt policies as part of the follow up process.

The simplest, and cheapest of practices can have the largest impact.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 7:13 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by m0hamed
Yeah, but it works both ways... Those automated thank you e-mails are nothing to me but spam, especially when I get two at the same time because I booked two rooms.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 9:49 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

The difference being that a handwritten welcome note is truly personal. Especially if you're a repeat guest and it's individualised. A post survey response is required by Hyatt policies as part of the follow up process.

Not to drag this further off topic of this thread (which is the PHS itself and not the global issues of welcome notes or survey follow up) but the survey responses are indeed read, in dec I stayed at the HR MSP applying a DSU and was assigned a room that was legitimately called a suite but unsatisfactory in many other respects (windowless living area, low floor - 3 - 1st floor of guest rooms, no view, long distance from elevator - very disappointing especially compared with the previous suite above the club floor with views from both rooms spacious and not awkward). I noted this in the survey and received a response within 2 hours even though it was outside of business hours asking for more details. After I had written back they followed up a few days later (after internal meetings I'm sure) saying that such suite will not be assigned when a suite upgrade has been applied (or presumably a suite booked). This was not a compensation issue since none was expected or offerred. The whole series of events was strictly from the survey since I didn't really complain on site just mentioned to the checkout agent (same agent at checkin).
Old Apr 14, 2014, 3:22 pm

Perhaps I wasn't clear: The survey metrics of extreme importance to properties and management, they are rated on them. As such, should an issue be raised in a survey, or low numbers be given, there is a set process that requires the property to respond and resolve the issue. To bring it back to the PHS, I wonder if Diamonds all wrote about not receiving the 'best available room' benefit, whether it would have a larger impact that raising it at check in, given that Hyatt corporate would be involved?

Last edited by m0hamed; Apr 15, 2014 at 6:02 pm
Old Apr 15, 2014, 9:30 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hertz 5*, IHG RA, Hyatt Diamond, Amex Plat, SPG Gold
Stayed at the PHS last month. At check in the agent apologized for lack of upgrade availability (stayed on points) but mentioned other diamond benefits. Also apologized for GM being away. Only issue was a checkout when the agent said I had breakfast overages. Took 30 minutes for her to remove them when the car was waiting outside. She finally asked someone how to remove and he took care of it in 1 min.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 9:57 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hertz Plat, Centurion, too many airlines
IME, this is standard at all PHs for Diamonds... except the PH MEL when Sholto left and Jenny Soo took over. Nothing makes you feel less at home than getting a lovely handwritten note for over 5 years for it to be replaced by a printed one, with your first name spelt incorrect...
nothing makes you feel less at home? really? also, the inclusion of names should not be permitted.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by taipeiflyer
nothing makes you feel less at home? really? also, the inclusion of names should not be permitted.
Why should names not be permitted? You do realise it's on your folio, and other communications you may receive during your stay?

When the PH GM meets you on every stay for a drink, without fail, and writes you a handwritten note that is truly personal it is an incredible shift to a new GM who chooses to print them, and can't even spell your name correctly. That is the point.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 11:40 pm

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, SQ PPS Solitaire
Originally Posted by taipeiflyer
Personalized written messages without a name? Ground-breaking!

"To whom it may concern: Welcome!"

^
Old Apr 15, 2014, 11:41 pm

Programs: LH, United, Hyatt, Air France
Funny you would mention that. I recently stayed at the PH Melbourne and also notice the absence of personal handwritten note which is quite common at most Hyatt's worldwide. There was one at the PH Sydney and one at the GH Melbourne though so I tend to agree with you: it is a new management issue at PH Melbourne. The good new is that there one manager who transferred from the GH Berlin so at least, someone knew Hyatt standards.

My stay in Sydney was great - there is a new Chef coming from Paris Madeleine and PH Dubai which made dinner quite memorable.

Last edited by Ducatibiker; Apr 15, 2014 at 11:47 pm
Old Apr 19, 2014, 9:17 am

Just completed a five-night stay at this hotel, and wow, what an amazing property. This has got to be hyatt's most physically beautiful property. The attention to detail is amazing, down to the thinner Onsen towel placed next to the bathtub in our opera deluxe room. And the pearl necklaces for the housekeepers? Wow. With the rainy Sydney weather thwarting many of our beach plans, we pretty much just spent too much time holed up in the room and enjoying the view.

Big kudos to the staff at the hotel, who are obviously extremely well trained and seem to enjoy their job. The balance between being friendly yet polished at the same time is a difficult one to achieve, and yet everyone I interacted with seemed to have got it right.

This is going off topic a little, but imagine my horror when I arrived at the park hyatt Melbourne after leaving Sydney. The tacky neon lights at the radii restaurant, the front desk agent who was extremely eager to get rid of me, and the 1980s saxophone elevator music playing in the lobby. And one more: the dressing room stool would have been quite fashionable in 1990. Finally, since somebody mentioned this, not having a welcome card at a park hyatt appears quite poor when even some regencies do it for diamonds. Yes, I didn't get one.

Last edited by carmy; Apr 19, 2014 at 9:26 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.