Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Sydney (Post-Reno) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2016, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: bhrubin
I have an upcoming stay and read the entire thread. I saw some common themes, and thought it would be useful to start a wiki. Please feel free to update or correct anything. I haven't stayed here, so the information is based on the contents of the thread:

- Diamond Suite Upgrades are NOT available at this property.
- Diamond members receive a complimentary full breakfast for up to 4 guests.
- The beds are very firm platform beds. I saw a few posts where a foam pad for the top of the bed was requested.
- Docked cruise ships that may obstruct the view from the Harbour view rooms.
- The hotel is 4 stories.

The concierge desk offers a weekly tour of the Rocks on Saturday.

Link that shows when cruise ships will be docked opposite the hotel:
https://www.portauthoritynsw.com.au/...ruise-schedule

Room Types and Floorplans:
https://www.scribd.com/document/3404...t-Sydney-Rooms

Expert Review posted in Luxury Forum: http://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-reviews/r-wonderful-park-hyatt-sydney-stay-and-city-harbor-view-with-a-few-caveats-1943
Print Wikipost

Park Hyatt Sydney (Post-Reno) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2024, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by billyhoho
Which I wouldn’t mind if not for the email ON the plane as opposed to a week earlier (or any welcome email a week earlier)

also asked if I could be upgraded for the other two days (where availability exists) but I just got read T&Cs and figured whatever ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
This is really a book what you can live with kind of property.
Old Mar 16, 2024, 12:09 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Aventine
I agree. I'm so glad I was able to stay here a couple times and enjoy beautiful harbor and SOH views - albeit with a great deal of work upon arrival the second visit, having been placed in a dated, un-renovated room with a view of the underside of the bridge. That was years ago and it's only gotten worse.

If I ever return, which is highly unlikely, I'll definitely book what I want and be prepared to pay for it.
Old Mar 16, 2024, 1:16 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by Aventine
yeah it’s nbd, my fault at the end
Old Mar 26, 2024, 10:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K/1MM; Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist,
Should have listened to the negative reviews

I made the mistake of not listening to more of the warnings in the negative reviews. We just arrived on a cruise, and had booked a paid stay for a 1 King Bed with Opera view. Since the prearrival email I received asked for the arrival time, I wrote book and said we were arriving early on a cruise and did not expect anything ready so early, but wanted to let them know in case something was available at that hour. I received a nice response that they would prioritize, and would have other facilities available if the room were not ready. We arrived around 8:30 AM. The front desk person was friendly, but no mention of any Globalist benefits, or much of anything other than asking for a credit card and ID. We were told room was not ready, but would be "prioritized".

Wife was not feeling well, so she just wanted a place to sit and relax till the room was ready. That was when we found out there is really no lobby or anyplace to sit, other than one bench in front of the reception desk. There is an area with many seats and lounges behind the reception desk, but we were told it is one of the restuarants and not a lobby to sit in. She ordered some tea so she could stay. Around 2:45 someone in that restuarant area asked why we were there, and we explained the situation, and that person went to see what was going on since the front desk just kept saying they were working on the room. About ten minutes later, somone came over and handed us keys to a temporary room till ours was ready.

The frustrating part was this "temporary room" was the same toom type I had booked, and was actually very nice. The frustrating part? A half hour later they knocked on the door and said our actual room was ready, which turned out to be a few doors down, narrower, with just one chair on the balcony instead of two, and a view that was not as nice. The bellman who came to get us and give us the key was also very nice, but we never heard a word from the front desk about it. We totally understand rooms are not gauranteed until 3, which was when they gave us the temporary room, but why in the word put us in a temp room that is nicer then move us again a half hour later?

Otherwise, as others have noted, the property is ok, nothing special. It admit I am not used to a hotel of this level with essentially no lobby to sit and wait in at all. I am really regretting not just booking the Four Seasons or one of the other nearby choices for a fraction of the price. Lesson learned.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 10:55 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by InHouseCounsel
I made the mistake of not listening to more of the warnings in the negative reviews. We just arrived on a cruise, and had booked a paid stay for a 1 King Bed with Opera view. Since the prearrival email I received asked for the arrival time, I wrote book and said we were arriving early on a cruise and did not expect anything ready so early, but wanted to let them know in case something was available at that hour. I received a nice response that they would prioritize, and would have other facilities available if the room were not ready. We arrived around 8:30 AM. The front desk person was friendly, but no mention of any Globalist benefits, or much of anything other than asking for a credit card and ID. We were told room was not ready, but would be "prioritized".

Wife was not feeling well, so she just wanted a place to sit and relax till the room was ready. That was when we found out there is really no lobby or anyplace to sit, other than one bench in front of the reception desk. There is an area with many seats and lounges behind the reception desk, but we were told it is one of the restuarants and not a lobby to sit in. She ordered some tea so she could stay. Around 2:45 someone in that restuarant area asked why we were there, and we explained the situation, and that person went to see what was going on since the front desk just kept saying they were working on the room. About ten minutes later, somone came over and handed us keys to a temporary room till ours was ready.

The frustrating part was this "temporary room" was the same toom type I had booked, and was actually very nice. The frustrating part? A half hour later they knocked on the door and said our actual room was ready, which turned out to be a few doors down, narrower, with just one chair on the balcony instead of two, and a view that was not as nice. The bellman who came to get us and give us the key was also very nice, but we never heard a word from the front desk about it. We totally understand rooms are not gauranteed until 3, which was when they gave us the temporary room, but why in the word put us in a temp room that is nicer then move us again a half hour later?

Otherwise, as others have noted, the property is ok, nothing special. It admit I am not used to a hotel of this level with essentially no lobby to sit and wait in at all. I am really regretting not just booking the Four Seasons or one of the other nearby choices for a fraction of the price. Lesson learned.
Sadly management has lost their touch. While I would never expect a room to be ready at 08:30 without rebooking, the fact they had another room is rather appalling.

I would ask for the duty manager. Some lazy room allocation going on. I do know some rooms have a half balcony and other full.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 12:56 am

Programs: UA 1K/1MM; Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist,
Originally Posted by m0hamed
Sadly management has lost their touch. While I would never expect a room to be ready at 08:30 without rebooking, the fact they had another room is rather appalling.

I would ask for the duty manager. Some lazy room allocation going on. I do know some rooms have a half balcony and other full.
Thanks for the perspective. I just went down and asked nicely why we could not stay in the nicer room with the full balcony. The person at the front desk said he was not sure why we had the issues, though he did say what looked like a king bed was actually two twins pushed together, and he said we could move tomorrow to a full balcony Opera view room, which is what I thought I booked. Good to know there are both full and half balconies in the same category.

Last edited by InHouseCounsel; Mar 27, 2024 at 6:06 pm
Old Mar 27, 2024, 3:37 am
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by InHouseCounsel
Thanks for the perspective. I just went down and asked nicely why we could not stay in the nicer room with the full balcony. The person at the front desk said he was not sure why we had the issues, though he did say what looked like a king bed was actually two twins pushed together, and he said we could move tomorrow to a full balcony Opera view room, which is what I thought I booked. Good to know there are both full and half balcponies in the same cateogry.
It's nice weather. Put this behind you and enjoy the rooftop pool and glorious Sydney!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.