Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Sydney (Post-Reno) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2016, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: bhrubin
I have an upcoming stay and read the entire thread. I saw some common themes, and thought it would be useful to start a wiki. Please feel free to update or correct anything. I haven't stayed here, so the information is based on the contents of the thread:

- Diamond Suite Upgrades are NOT available at this property.
- Diamond members receive a complimentary full breakfast for up to 4 guests.
- The beds are very firm platform beds. I saw a few posts where a foam pad for the top of the bed was requested.
- Docked cruise ships that may obstruct the view from the Harbour view rooms.
- The hotel is 4 stories.

The concierge desk offers a weekly tour of the Rocks on Saturday.

Link that shows when cruise ships will be docked opposite the hotel:
https://www.portauthoritynsw.com.au/...ruise-schedule

Room Types and Floorplans:
https://www.scribd.com/document/3404...t-Sydney-Rooms

Expert Review posted in Luxury Forum: http://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-reviews/r-wonderful-park-hyatt-sydney-stay-and-city-harbor-view-with-a-few-caveats-1943
Print Wikipost

Park Hyatt Sydney (Post-Reno) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2014, 2:19 pm

Programs: AS; Hyatt; Bonvoy
Originally Posted by SFOPhD
As a heads up, there is some seriously noisy construction near the PH Sydney at the moment. From a note in my room upon arrival:

"We would like to advise that the Sydney Ports Corporation is carrying out extension works to the Overseas Passenger Terminal wharf at Circular Quay, directly across the hotel. During their construction hours, piling work may cause some noise and vibration."

"Some noise" is an understatement. Not sure when this ends, but it is super disruptive during work hours, which is 0800-1200 and 1400-1800.
Thanks for the heads up notice, SFOPhD. I guess my plan to get some writing done while enjoying an inspiring view of the Sydney Opera House from my room next week may end up being scrapped ...
Old Jul 29, 2014, 9:48 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by AKCuisine
Thanks for the heads up notice, SFOPhD. I guess my plan to get some writing done while enjoying an inspiring view of the Sydney Opera House from my room next week may end up being scrapped ...
I just had lunch there, the construction site is rather quiet today so it's not constant.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 3:06 am

Originally Posted by m0hamed
I just had lunch there, the construction site is rather quiet today so it's not constant.
That's good news, m0hamed. Thank you.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 6:11 pm

Received, thanks!

Last edited by yerffej201; Aug 7, 2014 at 8:39 pm
Old Aug 8, 2014, 6:19 am

Programs: UA MM, HH Gold, SPG LT Gold
Diamond nenefits?

Does Diamond member get the room upgrade to a suite or club level rooms on award stays? free breakfast included?
Old Aug 8, 2014, 6:25 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

The standard Diamond benefits do apply here, just as they do everywhere... even on awards.
So yes to a free breakfast (in the restaurant as there is no club) and possibly a room upgrade to the best in the booking class if available (no club rooms since there is no club, and an upgrade to a suite is never a standard upgrade). So best you can hope for is a Deluxe room, but probably a View room.
Old Aug 8, 2014, 7:26 am

Yes, I recently received an opera view room and free breakfast in hotel restaurant as a Diamond. I stayed last month on weekdays.
Old Aug 10, 2014, 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by pm6163
Does Diamond member get the room upgrade to a suite or club level rooms on award stays? free breakfast included?
There is no Club at the PH Sydney, so that means no evening canapes or drinks. Most other Diamond benefits apply - a welcome amenity, complimentary full breakfast in The Dining Room restaurant and room upgrades.

I booked my recent stay using points, booked at the lower rate prior to the award chart reorganization earlier this year. The original booking was for a City/Harbor View King (40 sq m), but I was upgraded 3 categories to the Deluxe Opera View King (70+ sq m) with a view to die for.

The room was huge - what would count as a junior suite at many properties - and it had full-on views of the Opera House that could be seen from the desk/table, bed and even from the enormous soaking tub.
Old Aug 10, 2014, 7:35 pm

I had the same kind of room. Stunning.
Old Aug 10, 2014, 7:40 pm

I will be there is November - hoping our diamond will get us the same room!
Old Aug 10, 2014, 10:34 pm

Programs: QF PL (OW Emerald) Lifetime Gold; HGP Explorist; SPG Gold; HH Diamond
until 2 weeks ago, of the past 10 or so stays (over the past 12 mths), only 1 of those was not an upgrade to a deluxe opera view, and that was because they were almost full.

2 weeks ago, I was upgraded to a opera view room (the std upgrade to which I am entitled). I noticed on the welcome card that there is a new GM. I wonder whether it was just co-incidence re the room, or whether the hotel has a new policy of not upgrading to deluxe opera view (if available).

Time will tell. Am back in a couple of weeks, so will see then.
Old Aug 10, 2014, 10:44 pm

Originally Posted by dtm1
until 2 weeks ago, of the past 10 or so stays (over the past 12 mths), only 1 of those was not an upgrade to a deluxe opera view, and that was because they were almost full.

2 weeks ago, I was upgraded to a opera view room (the std upgrade to which I am entitled). I noticed on the welcome card that there is a new GM. I wonder whether it was just co-incidence re the room, or whether the hotel has a new policy of not upgrading to deluxe opera view (if available).

Time will tell. Am back in a couple of weeks, so will see then.
I was just there for a 4 day stay last week. As a Diamond I received a 3 category upgrade from regular City/Harbor King up to a huge Deluxe Opera View room.

Perhaps your upgrade was limited to a regular Opera View (rather than deluxe) based on the property being full due to a meeting or other function - it's clear that they still are providing Diamond upgrades to deluxe accommodations.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 3:41 am

All good hotels in Sydney are regularly full on Saturday nights even throughout most of the winter. During the summer, things kick up a gear, so I am surprised at the number of reports of always getting an Opera Deluxe room as a Diamond without buying one...
Old Aug 12, 2014, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by everywhere
All good hotels in Sydney are regularly full on Saturday nights even throughout most of the winter. During the summer, things kick up a gear, so I am surprised at the number of reports of always getting an Opera Deluxe room as a Diamond without buying one...
You sound a bit dubious ... do you need photographic evidence?

Kidding aside, upgrades do happen. Perhaps the fact that it's winter may be making it a bit easier for some of us to score better rooms.

I checked into the Park Hyatt Sydney on Sunday and departed last Thursday, so no Saturday night stay was involved. FWIW, I was in Melbourne the previous week and had also been upgraded several categories to a deluxe club fireplace room at the PH-MEL where I did stay over a Saturday night.

At the PH-SYD I was upgraded to the Deluxe Opera View on my pure-points stay without even asking for the perk. The room had already been preassigned before my arrival. How do I know? My usual room requests that I put into my reservation (foam pillows, extra hangers and other items) had already been taken care of by the time the assistant manager walked me up to the room to complete the check-in

So yes, upgrades do happen.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 6:02 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Two weekends ago most hotels in SYD were at 100%.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.