Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Sydney (Post-Reno) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2016, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: bhrubin
I have an upcoming stay and read the entire thread. I saw some common themes, and thought it would be useful to start a wiki. Please feel free to update or correct anything. I haven't stayed here, so the information is based on the contents of the thread:

- Diamond Suite Upgrades are NOT available at this property.
- Diamond members receive a complimentary full breakfast for up to 4 guests.
- The beds are very firm platform beds. I saw a few posts where a foam pad for the top of the bed was requested.
- Docked cruise ships that may obstruct the view from the Harbour view rooms.
- The hotel is 4 stories.

The concierge desk offers a weekly tour of the Rocks on Saturday.

Link that shows when cruise ships will be docked opposite the hotel:
https://www.portauthoritynsw.com.au/...ruise-schedule

Room Types and Floorplans:
https://www.scribd.com/document/3404...t-Sydney-Rooms

Expert Review posted in Luxury Forum: http://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-reviews/r-wonderful-park-hyatt-sydney-stay-and-city-harbor-view-with-a-few-caveats-1943
Print Wikipost

Park Hyatt Sydney (Post-Reno) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2014, 1:10 pm

Programs: Qantas, American Airlines, Hyatt, Accor
Bring some clothing suitable for hot weather - it's going to be 38 degrees C. in Sydney today and it looks like we're in for a hot, dry summer. Enjoy!
Old Nov 20, 2014, 1:31 pm
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
I need to bring a body that is suitable for this weather....

Beautiful here but too hot for my taste!
Old Nov 22, 2014, 3:47 pm

Just finished a stay here and was satisfied. No upgrade due to hotel was full and we had two connecting rooms. Had city/harbor view, which was originally booked. We were able to see the opera house sitting on one of the room balconies. Cruise ship very noisy when arriving or leaving or making public announcement, which was annoying. Diamond breakfast was good (no Asian choice though) but they do seem to be short handed from time to time. We had to stack our used plates to make room after main course. Pancakes/waffles were very good. They provided chocolate cakes (personal size) for our birthdays, yummy! We moved to another hotel after 3 days since It's supposed to be one of the better options to use that chain's points. and boy, night and day difference n wish I'm back in the hyatt!
Old Nov 23, 2014, 9:07 pm

We just checked in for the final four evening of our Sydney anniversary.

We are staying here with the credit card certificates. We just checked in. We had to wait for two hours since we got here early. However, it was worth it! Our Park King room was upgraded to a Harbour King with a great view of the Sydney Opera House!

We are so pleased.... and my partner is soooooooooo happy!
Old Nov 23, 2014, 9:44 pm

Programs: Qantas, American Airlines, Hyatt, Accor
Enjoy, wharvey. The weather should be a bit more hospitable from now on!
Old Nov 24, 2014, 6:19 am
jmw

It's a VERY nice hotel and all.... but I also think it's very overrated.

I'm there right now, and I don't think it's worth $1k a night. If I were to peg a value for points, $400 a night would be max due to the pretty good location. As a points redemption, that doesn't quite meet the 2CPM that most of us want. The breakfast is good, which is not what I expect from a $1k/30k GP a night hotel. I expect top notch at this price level and not messing up the breakfast order twice. I need to see more breakfast options such as Asian choices. Service at the restaurant and hotel is inconsistent. Again, I expect top notch consistency. Sorry for the rant folks.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 7:41 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by wharvey
We just checked in for the final four evening of our Sydney anniversary.

We are staying here with the credit card certificates. We just checked in. We had to wait for two hours since we got here early. However, it was worth it! Our Park King room was upgraded to a Harbour King with a great view of the Sydney Opera House!

We are so pleased.... and my partner is soooooooooo happy!

Yay!! Told you that you were likely to be upgraded from the booked Park King.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 1:35 pm

Did not hurt that I reached out to the hotel a few times in advance. Property is sold out so not sure it would have happened otherwise.

We are not complaining... We used our credit card free night certificates for our four nights.... Great use of the certificates for us.

Thanks for recommending that back in January Peter!

Originally Posted by peteropny
Yay!! Told you that you were likely to be upgraded from the booked Park King.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 2:05 pm

Programs: UA nada, Hyatt Disc, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jmw
I'm there right now, and I don't think it's worth $1k a night.
Having stayed at the PHS immediately after the Ritz-Carlton Hong Kong, I have to disagree. My wife and I enjoyed our stay at the PHS much more. I admit that we enjoyed Sydney more than Hong Kong so that might color our opinions a bit, but the service we received at the Park Hyatt was more personable than what we received at the Ritz.

To each their own, though.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 5:47 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jmw

I'm there right now, and I don't think it's worth $1k a night. If I were to peg a value for points, $400 a night would be max due to the pretty good location. As a points redemption, that doesn't quite meet the 2CPM that most of us want. The breakfast is good, which is not what I expect from a $1k/30k GP a night hotel. I expect top notch at this price level and not messing up the breakfast order twice. I need to see more breakfast options such as Asian choices. Service at the restaurant and hotel is inconsistent. Again, I expect top notch consistency. Sorry for the rant folks.
$400 a night due to location? The PH SYD is the ONLY property on Sydney Harbour with direct views of the Sydney Opera House and is an exceptional property.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 6:04 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by jmw
Being the only property with such a spectacular location tends to command a premium. It's useless comparing prices between properties, it's all about location and demand. And people are willing to pay these prices, so it's an extremely good use of points if you want to stay there. And the people that complain the most about the rates are the ones that never pay them anyway :-).

Service might be a bit of a hit-and-miss sometimes, but in general I found it to be an excelent property.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 7:05 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by RTW1
Being the only property with such a spectacular location tends to command a premium. It's useless comparing prices between properties, it's all about location and demand. And people are willing to pay these prices, so it's an extremely good use of points if you want to stay there. And the people that complain the most about the rates are the ones that never pay them anyway :-).

Service might be a bit of a hit-and-miss sometimes, but in general I found it to be an excelent property.
+1. Given how often the hotel is sold out, clearly others don't agree with his sentiments.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 2:38 am

Programs: UA, SPG, Hyatt, Hilton
Originally Posted by m0hamed
$400 a night due to location? The PH SYD is the ONLY property on Sydney Harbour with direct views of the Sydney Opera House and is an exceptional property.
People will disagree with you; get over it. At least OP (whose comment you responded to) detailed why they thought it wasn't an exceptional property, independent of the location. I'm on your side--I love this property--but you have to allow for some variation in opinion.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 2:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RTW1

Australia in general I don't think about as a luxury property destination for hotels- I do agree that out of everywhere I have stayed in Sydney the Park Hyatt is the most consistent- not perfect however better than the alternatives. There is simply not a service culture in Australia on par with some of the Asian alternatives.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 3:17 am
Suspended

Programs: SQ TPPS, EK Gold, IHG RA, Marriott Gold Hyatt Diamond, HHonors Gold, UA Premier Gold, TG Silver
Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
Australia in general I don't think about as a luxury property destination for hotels- I do agree that out of everywhere I have stayed in Sydney the Park Hyatt is the most consistent- not perfect however better than the alternatives. There is simply not a service culture in Australia on par with some of the Asian alternatives.
Agreed, and so as not to risk a trans-Tasman war of words, I'll include NZ too. Somehow we just don't "get it" in providing top quality service. The Park Hyatt, the IC and a few others are very nice hotels location-wise but they are let down by service. They're not a patch on equivalent hotels in Asia or Europe, IMHO.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.