Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Sydney (Post-Reno) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2016, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: bhrubin
I have an upcoming stay and read the entire thread. I saw some common themes, and thought it would be useful to start a wiki. Please feel free to update or correct anything. I haven't stayed here, so the information is based on the contents of the thread:

- Diamond Suite Upgrades are NOT available at this property.
- Diamond members receive a complimentary full breakfast for up to 4 guests.
- The beds are very firm platform beds. I saw a few posts where a foam pad for the top of the bed was requested.
- Docked cruise ships that may obstruct the view from the Harbour view rooms.
- The hotel is 4 stories.

The concierge desk offers a weekly tour of the Rocks on Saturday.

Link that shows when cruise ships will be docked opposite the hotel:
https://www.portauthoritynsw.com.au/...ruise-schedule

Room Types and Floorplans:
https://www.scribd.com/document/3404...t-Sydney-Rooms

Expert Review posted in Luxury Forum: http://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-reviews/r-wonderful-park-hyatt-sydney-stay-and-city-harbor-view-with-a-few-caveats-1943
Print Wikipost

Park Hyatt Sydney (Post-Reno) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2014, 4:29 pm

Programs: SPG Gold/HH Diamond/CC Gold/Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by lewende
The three nights on C+P are best to apply a DSU. I guess there are no suite availability at that time?
PH Sydney is one of the few properties that does not allow use of DSUs.
Old Dec 6, 2014, 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by frogss29
Ditto. I used them repeatedly.
Old Dec 6, 2014, 5:58 pm

Programs: Hyatt D/HHonors D/ SPG P/ Marriott P/ IHG P/ UA 1K/ AA EXP/ DL D
Originally Posted by Nehawk
PH Sydney is one of the few properties that does not allow use of DSUs.
Oops, forgot that...should have used my Chase Suite Night there.
Old Dec 6, 2014, 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by lewende
Oops, forgot that...should have used my Chase Suite Night there.
I don't think PH Sydney allows Chase Suite night redemptions either.
Old Mar 7, 2015, 1:35 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Mucci Champion des Champions, BAG4L, *A Gold, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz Gold, Avis President
Just checked in for 2 nights. I night free for 75 unique stays and one night paid. Check in was very brief. Thanked for being a diamond but no mention of breakfast, wi fi, etc - strange it was so rushed when we were the only people checking in.

Normal city view room. Requested high floor, away from elevator and as usual on 1st floor and next to elevator - you would think at a PH they could get the basics right. We were treated better at a DoubleTree last night
Old Mar 7, 2015, 3:05 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by BAGoldBoy
Just checked in for 2 nights. I night free for 75 unique stays and one night paid. Check in was very brief. Thanked for being a diamond but no mention of breakfast, wi fi, etc - strange it was so rushed when we were the only people checking in.

Normal city view room. Requested high floor, away from elevator and as usual on 1st floor and next to elevator - you would think at a PH they could get the basics right. We were treated better at a DoubleTree last night
What's availability like? They may be 100% with Mardi Gras, ICC cricket and Lunar New Year.

Regardless, I would go to front desk and demand to be moved away from the elevator.
Old Mar 7, 2015, 3:47 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Mucci Champion des Champions, BAG4L, *A Gold, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz Gold, Avis President
It looks to be about 80% full. To be honest I am done with the PH Sydney after a number of disappointing stays. We have been in Oz for nearly 3 weeks staying at a variety of accommodation from B&B's to high end resorts from $150 to $700 a night and given the cost of staying here we are underwhelmed completely. We have already decided we are not coming back here on our next trip. Compared to other PH's around the world that we have stayed at this is no longer a great example of the brand.
Old Mar 7, 2015, 4:28 am
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Talk to the Duty Manager. It's a shame to have a holiday spoiled. I have called the US Dimond line and had then intervene when they didn't give me the best available room benefit. I guess it depends if you have unpacked and can be bothered moving.
Old Mar 7, 2015, 7:39 am

Unfortunately, a number of Hyatt's don't abide by the Diamond "best available room" benefit (HR Waikiki, I'm looking at you ).
Old Mar 7, 2015, 11:32 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

It looks to be about 80% full. To be honest I am done with the PH Sydney after a number of disappointing stays. We have been in Oz for nearly 3 weeks staying at a variety of accommodation from B&B's to high end resorts from $150 to $700 a night and given the cost of staying here we are underwhelmed completely. We have already decided we are not coming back here on our next trip. Compared to other PH's around the world that we have stayed at this is no longer a great example of the brand.
I am really sorry to hear this about your experiences.
This has over time become my favorite property in Sydney.
I'd be very interested to hear more details about your concerns if you are sharing publically or privately.
With the glaring unfortunate exception of the hotel not participating in any kind of suite upgrade benefit through Gold Passport I can't think
of a much more wonderful property within the Hyatt collection of hotels anywhere in the world. Easily in my top 10

My last stay was sensational
and the team bent over backwards to insure a memorable experience in almost every detail
I didn't receive my favorite dead on Opera view room I have received in the past but overall I couldn't be much happier with my stay and only wished I stayed longer.
The from the heart service and recognition simply compares favorably with the best in and out of the Park Hyatt brand
It was a pleasure to meet the new GM on board who has been with Hyatt at least 15 or 20 years and like his excellent predecessor greeted me shortly after arrival
Old Mar 7, 2015, 11:46 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

I did notice a few new faces at check in fairly common at most hotels sadly
One of their best concierges has departed to another property as well
I can say that as a Diamond for over 20 plus years I'm pretty familiar with my benefits and personally don't want to have them recited
so its interesting how we all differ in our perceptions as well as expectations

A welcome letter with the details of individual elite benefits is of course always appreciated as each hotel may vary.
As far as room position when I am not happy with a room assignment I am always happy to speak up.
In this hotel I can safely say no reasonable request has virtually ever been refused only expectations exceeded
The breakfast even if not always to my liking is typically reasonably good as far as the main goes
And is always fully complimentary as a Diamond.It truly seems generous as well as hospitable in every way with no nickel and diming
even sparkling water is included

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; Mar 15, 2015 at 5:30 pm
Old Mar 7, 2015, 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
I did notice a few new faces at check in fairly common at most hotels sadly
One of their best concierges has departed to another property as well
Is that Johnathan and if so, can you share where he went?
Old Mar 15, 2015, 4:39 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
As a Park Hyatt should be

I want to believe that my overwhelmingly positive experience at this property didn't benefit from the relatively dismal experience I had immediately prior at the Park Hyatt Melbourne, but I found this Park Hyatt to be exceptional in virtually every respect.

Service was first-rate from beginning to end. Gracious, relaxed and helpful. Every request handled quickly and seemingly effortlessly. I recall a recent trip report on this property on the blog One Mile at a Time, where Lucky gushed about the exceptional service. My experience paralleled his.

I'm not one typically impressed by people remembering my name. It's a nice touch, but that's as far as it goes. Here, though, people who I'd not met knew my name, especially at the Concierge desk. They didn't throw it around, but when I'd make a request for a reservation, or to locate a particular type of boutique retailer, they'd casually, say something like, "Let me look into that for you, Mr. AZ Travels -- you are in room 3XX, right?" I imagine, given the proximity of the Concierge desk to the guest elevators, that the various team members inform and quiz each other on the guests they know as we pass by. After a while, assuming we pass by a few times, they learn the names. I have no idea really, but it's impressive that they know, and they just use the information in helping you -- not in simply trying to impress you with the fact they know it. Very classy touch.

As a Diamond member, I received exactly the room I booked. The check-in agent acknowledged my status right at the start and explained that the hotel was fully booked for the weekend and they were not able to provide me with the upgrade they try to provide to Diamond members. I get that. I firmly believe that one should book and pay for what they really want -- and be pleased with anything beyond. In this case, my room, a third-floor, water/city view, was exceptional. It was in the longer of the two wings, facing the city and small harbor in front of the hotel. Walking out on the very functional patio and looking to the left, I could clearly see the Opera House across the harbor.

I really liked the privacy aspect of rooms in this portion of the hotel. No one can see into this room with the window blinds fully open. On the other hand, by walking out onto the balcony and looking to the right I could look right into virtually every room in the shorter wing of the property. Those rooms face the Opera House directly, and thus are more coveted. But that comes with a lot of people being able to look straight into them. I dare say, all things considered, I preferred the room we had. We had plenty of opportunities to stare at the Opera House and found the water and city skyline view to be beautiful and calming.

The design of the rooms was truly exceptional, as good Park Hyatts tend to be. The balance of form and function was optimum. The choice of furniture for the available space was functional and comfortable. We utilized all of it, inside and outside, over the four days we were there. It get inspiration for my home from properties like this. Their recent remodel was time and money well spent.

WiFi was lightening fast; butler service was quick, efficient and helpful.

We dined twice in the Living Room. They serve a casual menu all day that we found more to our taste on this occasion than the Dining Room's more elaborate and higher-end offerings. The atmosphere in the Living Room was inviting to us and a comfortable place to have a drink, snack or meal. Tables by the window being the best.

The one experience counter to everything else was breakfast the first morning (a Saturday) in the Dining Room. It was crazy busy and the room was clearly understaffed, as service was sorely lacking. Management from elsewhere in the hotel (based on their suits) appeared to have eventually jumped in to help, but they seemed a bit like fish out of water. A couple of staff members were flying around the room almost frantically -- clearly working very hard to make things happen, but flying through the room with a figurative cloud of dust behind them. It was anything but the calm, relaxing breakfast that I'm sure the hotel strives for. I found it leaving me a little on edge. I wanted to grab one of them in particular by the arm and suggest that he slow down for a moment and breathe; his fury wasn't helping anyone and likely raising the tension.

From that point forward, we had breakfast delivered by room service. Each time they were hot, perfect and prompt. Diamond status comes with breakfast and we were told at the time of check-in that we had our choice of the Dining Room, Living Room, or in our room. Each room service breakfast was charged to our bill, however, but the charges quickly removed at check-out.

I can't say enough about my overall experience at this property. They seemed to get virtually all the important things, even small important things, exactly right. This is the type of place I will go out of my way to return to -- and that's a pretty small list when it comes to chain properties. I really, really enjoyed my stay here.
Old Mar 15, 2015, 11:04 pm

Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World
I want to believe that my overwhelmingly positive experience at this property didn't benefit from the relatively dismal experience I had immediately prior at the Park Hyatt Melbourne, but I found this Park Hyatt to be exceptional in virtually every respect.

Service was first-rate from beginning to end. Gracious, relaxed and helpful. Every request handled quickly and seemingly effortlessly. I recall a recent trip report on this property on the blog One Mile at a Time, where Lucky gushed about the exceptional service. My experience paralleled his.

I'm not one typically impressed by people remembering my name. It's a nice touch, but that's as far as it goes. Here, though, people who I'd not met knew my name, especially at the Concierge desk. They didn't throw it around, but when I'd make a request for a reservation, or to locate a particular type of boutique retailer, they'd casually, say something like, "Let me look into that for you, Mr. AZ Travels -- you are in room 3XX, right?" I imagine, given the proximity of the Concierge desk to the guest elevators, that the various team members inform and quiz each other on the guests they know as we pass by. After a while, assuming we pass by a few times, they learn the names. I have no idea really, but it's impressive that they know, and they just use the information in helping you -- not in simply trying to impress you with the fact they know it. Very classy touch.

As a Diamond member, I received exactly the room I booked. The check-in agent acknowledged my status right at the start and explained that the hotel was fully booked for the weekend and they were not able to provide me with the upgrade they try to provide to Diamond members. I get that. I firmly believe that one should book and pay for what they really want -- and be pleased with anything beyond. In this case, my room, a third-floor, water/city view, was exceptional. It was in the longer of the two wings, facing the city and small harbor in front of the hotel. Walking out on the very functional patio and looking to the left, I could clearly see the Opera House across the harbor.

I really liked the privacy aspect of rooms in this portion of the hotel. No one can see into this room with the window blinds fully open. On the other hand, by walking out onto the balcony and looking to the right I could look right into virtually every room in the shorter wing of the property. Those rooms face the Opera House directly, and thus are more coveted. But that comes with a lot of people being able to look straight into them. I dare say, all things considered, I preferred the room we had. We had plenty of opportunities to stare at the Opera House and found the water and city skyline view to be beautiful and calming.

The design of the rooms was truly exceptional, as good Park Hyatts tend to be. The balance of form and function was optimum. The choice of furniture for the available space was functional and comfortable. We utilized all of it, inside and outside, over the four days we were there. It get inspiration for my home from properties like this. Their recent remodel was time and money well spent.

WiFi was lightening fast; butler service was quick, efficient and helpful.

We dined twice in the Living Room. They serve a casual menu all day that we found more to our taste on this occasion than the Dining Room's more elaborate and higher-end offerings. The atmosphere in the Living Room was inviting to us and a comfortable place to have a drink, snack or meal. Tables by the window being the best.

The one experience counter to everything else was breakfast the first morning (a Saturday) in the Dining Room. It was crazy busy and the room was clearly understaffed, as service was sorely lacking. Management from elsewhere in the hotel (based on their suits) appeared to have eventually jumped in to help, but they seemed a bit like fish out of water. A couple of staff members were flying around the room almost frantically -- clearly working very hard to make things happen, but flying through the room with a figurative cloud of dust behind them. It was anything but the calm, relaxing breakfast that I'm sure the hotel strives for. I found it leaving me a little on edge. I wanted to grab one of them in particular by the arm and suggest that he slow down for a moment and breathe; his fury wasn't helping anyone and likely raising the tension.

From that point forward, we had breakfast delivered by room service. Each time they were hot, perfect and prompt. Diamond status comes with breakfast and we were told at the time of check-in that we had our choice of the Dining Room, Living Room, or in our room. Each room service breakfast was charged to our bill, however, but the charges quickly removed at check-out.

I can't say enough about my overall experience at this property. They seemed to get virtually all the important things, even small important things, exactly right. This is the type of place I will go out of my way to return to -- and that's a pretty small list when it comes to chain properties. I really, really enjoyed my stay here.
I just came back from both Sydney and Melbourne PHs. Both perfectly fine hotels, but nothing worth gushing about. For the price you should get good service, clean rooms, good dining.

Frankly, I found the PH Sydney location was irritating due to the proximity of the bridge and the resulting noise level (particularly when trains passed by), or when down in the Living Room/Concierge/Front Desk when the sliding doors opened and allowed a wall of traffic noise in. You could hear the trains rumble by no matter which room you were in. You couldn't hold a quiet conversation whenever the doors were open.

As a lowly Plat, appeared to get the same 3rd floor city/harbour view as you - were upgraded from the standard room despite the hotel being fully booked. Except the room wasn't ready at 2PM and we sat, exhausted, in the Living Room for over an hour (perhaps that explains the upgrade - we were irritated at the long delay). No complimentary offer of refreshments, no update on the long delay and had to pester the front desk several times - not a 5 star experience. Nor was the traffic noise coming from the bridge every time the doors were opened. The noise alone makes the hotel less than 5 star. Should have had double doors to prevent the noise from intruding into guest spaces/relaxation.

As for the concierges "remembering" our names, that was simply due to them asking for our room number and looking up our names while pretending to search for something on the internet. It was smoothly done, so if you didn't pay attention, you could easily have assumed they remembered you somehow. No other staff person knew our names (granted, we spent very little time in the hotel). Overall, the service was efficient, the rooms/views were nice, but the noise from the bridge traffic (especially the trains) didn't allow a completely relaxing stay.

I'd give them a 4.5. The deduction being for the noise.
Old Mar 15, 2015, 11:54 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by farwest101
Frankly, I found the PH Sydney location was irritating due to the proximity of the bridge and the resulting noise level (particularly when trains passed by). . .You couldn't hold a quiet conversation whenever the doors were open.
Differing experiences of the same situation always fascinate me. Same week, same bridge, same cars and trains -- and it sounds like very similar rooms. Yet I have no negative recollection of noise from the bridge.

I recall hearing a train on a couple of occasions and wondered where on the bridge the tracks were. One of them, while outside, I looked up to see where the train was but the sun was in my eyes so my attention diverted elsewhere. I don't recall thinking about it again.

I'm glad you had a 'perfectly fine' experience at the PH Melbourne. I was certainly hoping for one. I agree that, for the price, you should be able to expect at least that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.