Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Sydney (Post-Reno) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2016, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: bhrubin
I have an upcoming stay and read the entire thread. I saw some common themes, and thought it would be useful to start a wiki. Please feel free to update or correct anything. I haven't stayed here, so the information is based on the contents of the thread:

- Diamond Suite Upgrades are NOT available at this property.
- Diamond members receive a complimentary full breakfast for up to 4 guests.
- The beds are very firm platform beds. I saw a few posts where a foam pad for the top of the bed was requested.
- Docked cruise ships that may obstruct the view from the Harbour view rooms.
- The hotel is 4 stories.

The concierge desk offers a weekly tour of the Rocks on Saturday.

Link that shows when cruise ships will be docked opposite the hotel:
https://www.portauthoritynsw.com.au/...ruise-schedule

Room Types and Floorplans:
https://www.scribd.com/document/3404...t-Sydney-Rooms

Expert Review posted in Luxury Forum: http://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-reviews/r-wonderful-park-hyatt-sydney-stay-and-city-harbor-view-with-a-few-caveats-1943
Print Wikipost

Park Hyatt Sydney (Post-Reno) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2021, 12:34 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Marc would always welcome us at check in, upgrade us in advance and always ensure we were looked after.

Very sad to see him go.

I originally booked NYE on points. I asked to pay to upgrade to not get stuck in a Park King and they quoted me $2,350 per night from the King to Harbour view (it’s normally $150). I thought they were mistaking my quoting a new reservation, but no they essentially deemed my points worthless and said tough luck.

I should have known then…
Old Dec 30, 2021, 2:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by m0hamed
Marc would always welcome us at check in, upgrade us in advance and always ensure we were looked after.

Very sad to see him go.

I originally booked NYE on points. I asked to pay to upgrade to not get stuck in a Park King and they quoted me $2,350 per night from the King to Harbour view (it’s normally $150). I thought they were mistaking my quoting a new reservation, but no they essentially deemed my points worthless and said tough luck.

I should have known then…
Did you know Marc was gone at the time of your Christmas stay? That really does show greed, especially, to long time guests like yourselves.

Last edited by Aventine; Dec 30, 2021 at 2:22 am
Old Dec 30, 2021, 6:01 am
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Aventine
Did you know Marc was gone at the time of your Christmas stay? That really does show greed, especially, to long time guests like yourselves.
I didn’t and I didn’t want to bother him with such a small request.

When I responded to the offer stating I think they misunderstood they said there are no upgrades offered on NYE and the upgrade rate for each room category would be the full RACK rate. I was shocked.

Never have I heard of any hotel doing this. Why would I use 30k points per night just to pay the same rate as someone who didn’t?
Old Dec 30, 2021, 6:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I didn’t and I didn’t want to bother him with such a small request.

When I responded to the offer stating I think they misunderstood they said there are no upgrades offered on NYE and the upgrade rate for each room category would be the full RACK rate. I was shocked.

Never have I heard of any hotel doing this. Why would I use 30k points per night just to pay the same rate as someone who didn’t?
As I said, I'm shocked they would deal with a guest with your number of stays in this manner. 30000 points are not trivial at all.

Last edited by Aventine; Dec 30, 2021 at 6:39 am
Old Jan 28, 2022, 5:07 pm

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, SQ PPS Solitaire

Very sad to see him go.
Marc von Arnim was certainly someone with polished manners. That shouldn't distract from he fact that it was also him who implemented the "You get what you pay for" policy that undid all the goodwill for Globalists and returning guests staying at the property on points.

In the good old days returning Globalists (back then still Diamond members) regularly got upgrades to Opera Deluxe Rooms. Marc was the one who came up with the spectacular idea to book points redemptions into a category called "KIng Rooms" that are not even on sale for regular rates just to be able to tell everyone they got upgraded.

A questionable legacy - at least for World of Hyatt members.
Old Jan 28, 2022, 6:13 pm

By most accounts of Australian based Globs on a private Facebook group, the standard upgrade has been Opera Deluxe.

As an update, Consumer Affairs finally responded and credited me 30,000 points in compensation.
Aventine likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2022, 9:06 pm

By most accounts of Australian based Globs on a private Facebook group, the standard upgrade has been Opera Deluxe.

As an update, Consumer Affairs finally responded and credited me 30,000 points in compensation.
Are there twin bed opera deluxe rooms? I booked a twin base room and am hoping my choice of twin beds won't prevent me from getting an upgrade higher than harbour view.
Old Jan 28, 2022, 10:53 pm

Originally Posted by iluvdoco
Are there twin bed opera deluxe rooms? I booked a twin base room and am hoping my choice of twin beds won't prevent me from getting an upgrade higher than harbour view.
I’ve never requested one. Perhaps email and ask, though it seems Hyatt has begun having hotel emails answered by central reservations.
Old Jan 29, 2022, 3:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Congratulations on countering the Dabinett effect.
Old Jan 30, 2022, 10:35 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Off topic I suppose something I'm well noted for in this forum.
Was wondering if Marc might turn up at another Hyatt.Unfortunately not
He will however take on the GM position at the new Capella Hotel in Sydney opening sometime in 2023.
I believe it was supposed to be open earlier than that originally
Their website is a bit creepy if you ask me.I almost clicked off it felt so sketchy.Seems to be working better now though
May have been my computer security at work

https://www.capellahotels.com/en/capella-sydney
Old Jan 30, 2022, 10:57 pm

Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
He will however take on the GM position at the new Capella Hotel in Sydney opening sometime in 2023.
Their website is a bit creepy if you ask me.I almost clicked off it felt so sketchy.Seems to be working better now though

It's two separate government buildings - The Department of Lands and Department of Education. They had to scale back the number of rooms, recently https://latteluxurynews.com/2019/07/...ney-downsizes/

Keen to see how many rooms have Harbour Views as they are quite low buildings on that end of town with the Intercon (currently closed) and a number of other office buildings in front of them toward the Quay.
Old Jan 30, 2022, 11:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound

I posted his new hotel choice in the Luxury Forum and I can understand wanting a new challenge with a rising luxury brand.
Old Feb 17, 2022, 12:41 am

Hey all,

I’m planning my first stay at the Park Hyatt Sydney, and I’ve read through the thread as I evaluated my stay options. Can someone check to make sure my understanding of the state of things is up to date? It looks like a lot of things have changed recently, especially with the change in GM.

I’m a Globalist and I’m considering staying for about a week.

1) If I book one of the standard rooms with all points, I run the risk of getting stuck in a “tree room” if I’m not upgraded.
2) Points bookings, including cash and points bookings, do get upgrades for Globalists, but it’s not a guarantee.
3) If it’s not a special occasion, like NYE’s, it seems like Globalists are still offered an upgrade up to the Opera Deluxe room at best, if it’s available?
4) The standard room rate includes breakfast but the Hyatt member’s rate does not. Nonetheless, I assume the Globalist breakfast benefit should be the same as the standard room rate?
5) I should not expect that they would offer me a very good deal if I booked a points booking and then tried to upgrade with cash if my Globalist upgrade failed.
6) I assume they’d honor the Prive upgrade benefit more reliably than they’d honor the Globalist upgrade benefit?
7) You do need to watch out for the cancelation policy, because it is often strict and you may be charged hundreds of dollars if you violate it, even for a points stay.
8) There’s basically no reasonable way to book a Suite without paying ~$2000 USD/nt. Because the hotel claims to only have Premium Suites, the Hyatt Upgrade Certificates won’t work, the Globalist upgrade benefit won’t work, and a Prive upgrade can’t jump you from a room to a suite. They don’t even offer a Premium Suite redemption option with points.
9) Also, final note, does someone have an updated link to the website where you can see if a cruise ship will block the view? If so, I might as well just book into the Four Seasons or the Shangri-La.

Does this all sound right? When it comes down to brass tacks, what are folks booking to stay at the Park Hyatt Sydney?

I’m considering a few options:

1) Book a Prive rate with a travel agent, for the confirmed upgrade at booking. This would let me book the 1 King Bed Deluxe in order to confirm the 1 King Bed Opera View Deluxe, which could save ~$200USD/nt.
2) Book a standard points redemptions for the tree room and hope for a Globalist upgrade.
3) Book a points with cash redemption for a King Bed Harbour View, which would at least guarantee I’m not stuck in the tree room, and then hope for an upgrade from there.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give!
Old Feb 17, 2022, 1:04 am

Originally Posted by RememberTheConcord
Hey all,

I’m planning my first stay at the Park Hyatt Sydney, and I’ve read through the thread as I evaluated my stay options. Can someone check to make sure my understanding of the state of things is up to date? It looks like a lot of things have changed recently, especially with the change in GM.

I’m a Globalist and I’m considering staying for about a week.

1) If I book one of the standard rooms with all points, I run the risk of getting stuck in a “tree room” if I’m not upgraded.
2) Points bookings, including cash and points bookings, do get upgrades for Globalists, but it’s not a guarantee.
3) If it’s not a special occasion, like NYE’s, it seems like Globalists are still offered an upgrade up to the Opera Deluxe room at best, if it’s available?
4) The standard room rate includes breakfast but the Hyatt member’s rate does not. Nonetheless, I assume the Globalist breakfast benefit should be the same as the standard room rate?
5) I should not expect that they would offer me a very good deal if I booked a points booking and then tried to upgrade with cash if my Globalist upgrade failed.
6) I assume they’d honor the Prive upgrade benefit more reliably than they’d honor the Globalist upgrade benefit?
7) You do need to watch out for the cancelation policy, because it is often strict and you may be charged hundreds of dollars if you violate it, even for a points stay.
8) There’s basically no reasonable way to book a Suite without paying ~$2000 USD/nt. Because the hotel claims to only have Premium Suites, the Hyatt Upgrade Certificates won’t work, the Globalist upgrade benefit won’t work, and a Prive upgrade can’t jump you from a room to a suite. They don’t even offer a Premium Suite redemption option with points.
9) Also, final note, does someone have an updated link to the website where you can see if a cruise ship will block the view? If so, I might as well just book into the Four Seasons or the Shangri-La.

Does this all sound right? When it comes down to brass tacks, what are folks booking to stay at the Park Hyatt Sydney?

I’m considering a few options:

1) Book a Prive rate with a travel agent, for the confirmed upgrade at booking. This would let me book the 1 King Bed Deluxe in order to confirm the 1 King Bed Opera View Deluxe, which could save ~$200USD/nt.
2) Book a standard points redemptions for the tree room and hope for a Globalist upgrade.
3) Book a points with cash redemption for a King Bed Harbour View, which would at least guarantee I’m not stuck in the tree room, and then hope for an upgrade from there.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give!
You are mostly correct, however you will not get a free room or dreaded Park King unless sold out.

The Hotel plays with inventory. Upgrades went from Deluxe to Opera Deluxe, then they recategorised them and Deluxe simply went to Opera View. Unsure what they are now.

They have also been claiming they can’t confirm Privè upgrades in advance due to “forecast availability.”

It really comes down to how much you want to spend and how much space you want.

Don’t forget you will also get in app upgrade offers ahead of check in for higher room categories.

Cruise ships are currently still banned in Australia. A crazy billionaire Clive Palmer (who constantly tries to run Senate candidates) currently has his yacht outside the hotel.
RememberTheConcord likes this.

Last edited by m0hamed; Feb 17, 2022 at 1:36 am
Old Feb 17, 2022, 1:13 am

Thanks!

Do you have any clue how they’re justifying playing with the Globalist upgrade? The Hyatt program terms seem quite clear that the best available standard room available for sale at check in must be given to a Globalist:

(c) Best Room Available: Globalists will receive the best room available at the time of check-in at Hyatt hotels and resorts, including Standard Suites and rooms with Club lounge-access. The best room available will be determined by the applicable hotel or resort in its sole discretion and may vary from stay-to-stay. The “best room” may, but will not necessarily be, of a room type/category higher than that booked by the Member. Best-room-available benefit includes only Standard Suites (where available), which are defined as rooms within each participating hotel’s or resort’s introductory suite category. Premium, Specialty, Premier, Presidential, Diplomatic, and other suites other than Standard Suites are not included in this benefit. Not valid at Caption by Hyatt, Hyatt Place, Hyatt House, Destination Residences, or Hyatt Residence Club hotels and resorts.
It seems like if I booked a full points rate, and then a better room (non-suite) was available for sale at check-in, I’d have a pretty clear case for compensation if they did not upgrade me to it. It seems like View from the Wing hit a similar thing in their stay a few years ago: https://viewfromthewing.com/review-park-hyatt-sydney/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.