Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Sydney (Post-Reno) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2016, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: bhrubin
I have an upcoming stay and read the entire thread. I saw some common themes, and thought it would be useful to start a wiki. Please feel free to update or correct anything. I haven't stayed here, so the information is based on the contents of the thread:

- Diamond Suite Upgrades are NOT available at this property.
- Diamond members receive a complimentary full breakfast for up to 4 guests.
- The beds are very firm platform beds. I saw a few posts where a foam pad for the top of the bed was requested.
- Docked cruise ships that may obstruct the view from the Harbour view rooms.
- The hotel is 4 stories.

The concierge desk offers a weekly tour of the Rocks on Saturday.

Link that shows when cruise ships will be docked opposite the hotel:
https://www.portauthoritynsw.com.au/...ruise-schedule

Room Types and Floorplans:
https://www.scribd.com/document/3404...t-Sydney-Rooms

Expert Review posted in Luxury Forum: http://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-reviews/r-wonderful-park-hyatt-sydney-stay-and-city-harbor-view-with-a-few-caveats-1943
Print Wikipost

Park Hyatt Sydney (Post-Reno) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2019, 7:22 am

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Hawkeyefan
Have a two fold question...1) is this PH a good deal for Chase UR transfer to Hyatt at 30k pts per night? Cash rate for my dates in next March seems to be 1250 AUD per nt. 2) it seems I can only book a room with 2 adults and one child on pts....but I have two kids. Can you not get a room on pts for a family of 4? Can a rollaway be brought in?

Thx!
Bump per above....
Old Dec 6, 2019, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by Hawkeyefan
Have a two fold question...1) is this PH a good deal for Chase UR transfer to Hyatt at 30k pts per night? Cash rate for my dates in next March seems to be 1250 AUD per nt. 2) it seems I can only book a room with 2 adults and one child on pts....but I have two kids. Can you not get a room on pts for a family of 4? Can a rollaway be brought in?
While my experience with Sydney has been limited relative to other places, the PH Sydney is the only hotel I'd choose in that entire city. While there may be better 30K redemptions, if you're going to be in Sydney with your family, then I think it's well worth the 30K points. The hotel is situated in that circular harbor (they call it Circular Quay, if memory serves), and the morning runs there are breathtaking, not to mention the view of the Opera house. Also, it's near the train station where one can easily take it to and fro from the Airport.

The rooms are spacious enough where I don't see why an extra cot or two would be an issue, but you may want to check with them when making your reservations. There should be no issues fitting 4 in any of their rooms. Of course, try to ask for a room with an Opera view, or at least near it; and, do try to avoid where they have a few rooms with the view of some Trees or the Bridge.
Old Dec 31, 2019, 9:56 pm

Programs: UA GS; AF Plat; AA EXP
Am staying here now, in Room 012 (King with Opera View Premier, I believe), as a Globalist over from the New Year onwards, for two days.

Originally Posted by m0hamed
What on Earth are you planning on doing?!

There's a reason this is where artist management and record companies have international celebrities stay.

Obviously higher floors are better, but there is a boardwalk around the perimeter of the hotel.
Originally Posted by sydneyflyer12
If someone wanted to make a concerted effort to see into your room they probably could but I certainly wouldn't say that I've ever actually been concerned about privacy when staying at the PH. The hotel is elevated above the boardwalk enough that someone would probably have to be using binoculars to really see into your room. If you're staying in an opera view room, I suppose it's possible that if people in harbor view rooms went out onto their balconies and instead of looking at the opera house, turned and craned their necks to get a view of your room they might be able to vaguely see in if the doors were open.

In general I'd say the privacy in the room is more than adequate. The balcony is definitely more exposed but I can't imagine how/why that would be an issue.

After reading those two quotes, I wasn't overly worried about passerby being able to see inside our room. But wow, after walking in, I'm certainly going to be asking for a non-first-floor room in the future. Ms. sfosin said she felt like "in a zoo", with many people walking right outside our window, and people accidentally looking in every few minutes.

The whole room is visible to passerby outside — there's almost no privacy in the room. Passerby, if they tried, can even see inside the bathroom (yes, even inside the shower enclosure!). I've attached a few photos, one from inside the shower enclosure, the other two from inside the room.

I called the front desk a few minutes after checking in to attempt to swap to a higher-floor room, but the hotel was fully booked for my whole stay (two nights), and they weren't able to do anything. Too bad! We paid around $1500 / night, and this stay was a real disappointment. Lesson learned: in the future, I'll email them after booking to ask for a higher-floor room.

Edit: since this is my first post, I can't post any photos yet. I'll post them after I've posted a few other times elsewhere.

Edit 2: am staying from the new year year, not over. Corrected!

Last edited by sfosin; Dec 31, 2019 at 11:46 pm
Old Dec 31, 2019, 10:15 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
How did you manage to score a two night reservation? The hotel is rather strict at ensuring a 7 night minimum stay over NYE.
Old Dec 31, 2019, 10:16 pm

Programs: UA GS; AF Plat; AA EXP
How did you manage to score a two night reservation? The hotel is rather strict at ensuring a 7 night minimum stay over NYE.
Ah yes, that might be why there's very little flexibility in moving rooms! I'm staying from 1/1 to 1/3, for two nights.

I booked this fairly last minute around 2 days ago. That, combined with the minimum stay requirement for most other rooms, might be why they weren't able to assign me a better room during check-in (as a Globalist).
Old Dec 31, 2019, 11:21 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
The hotel runs at 100% from the 25th.

The 31st invokes the minimum stay, checking in on the 1st avoids this.
Old Jan 1, 2020, 10:08 am

The hotel runs at 100% from the 25th.
I was pondering spending New Years here in the future. Is this 5 day a longstanding condition? Any suggestions on how early one should make reservations to ensure a room in a suitable area of the property?

Thanks.
Old Jan 1, 2020, 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by Visconti
I was pondering spending New Years here in the future. Is this 5 day a longstanding condition? Any suggestions on how early one should make reservations to ensure a room in a suitable area of the property?

Thanks.
It used to be 5 nights, might be 7 now, you’ll have to check.

Generally they require you to book direct and you will not receive any upgrade. Those who book the lowest category room will overlook Hickson Road.
Visconti likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 9:57 pm

Made a points reservation and asked for upgrade costs. These seem to have increased and hotel email now handled by Pacific Reservations:

to 1 King Bed Harbour View - additional $300 AUD per night

to 1 King Bed Deluxe - additional $700 AUD per night

to 1 King Bed Opera Deluxe additional $950.00 AUD per night

They have also indicated can only be organised on arrival.

I'm just going to email the GM who I have contact with.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 12:36 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Made a points reservation and asked for upgrade costs. These seem to have increased and hotel email now handled by Pacific Reservations:

to 1 King Bed Harbour View - additional $300 AUD per night

to 1 King Bed Deluxe - additional $700 AUD per night

to 1 King Bed Opera Deluxe additional $950.00 AUD per night

They have also indicated can only be organised on arrival.

I'm just going to email the GM who I have contact with.

The hotel doesn't upgrade Globalists? I have a one night reservation coming up in a few weeks.

Last edited by SHLTP; Jan 22, 2020 at 4:30 am
Old Jan 22, 2020, 2:26 am

Originally Posted by SHLTP
The hotel doesn't upgrade Globalists? I have a one night certificate reservation coming up in a few weeks.
They do but I don't want to risk the hotel being at 100% for the Australia/Invasion Day Long Weekend.
SHLTP likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 4:19 am

I just called the hotel which said they don't participate in suite upgrade program. I spoke with the concierge team and they said the same

Disappointing. If I had known I would not have booked. Oh well. It is a short stay anyway
Old Jan 22, 2020, 4:29 am

Originally Posted by SHLTP
I just called the hotel which said they don't participate in suite upgrade program. I spoke with the concierge team and they said the same

Disappointing. If I had known I would not have booked. Oh well. It is a short stay anyway
They never have. It’s one of the properties specifically mentioned in the TSU T/Cs.

To be fair, the rooftop suites are higher then Premium and start at several thousand per night. But they could honour TSUs for Opera Deluxe rooms.

Last edited by m0hamed; Jan 22, 2020 at 4:36 am
Old Jan 22, 2020, 4:54 am

They never have. It’s one of the properties specifically mentioned in the TSU T/Cs.

To be fair, the rooftop suites are higher then Premium and start at several thousand per night. But they could honour TSUs for Opera Deluxe rooms.
Thanks. I didn't realize - I am new to Hyatt. But good to know you like as I have taken some of your other suggestions over the years
Old Jan 22, 2020, 4:59 am

If the property isn't too full, you'll likely be upgraded to a room with the Opera House view. If the hotel is full, then you may get one facing the street or the bridge. In either case, if possible, ask for a higher floor and not the first floor.

It's a wonderful property and excellent use of the free night, in my view.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.