Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Sydney (Post-Reno) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2016, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: bhrubin
I have an upcoming stay and read the entire thread. I saw some common themes, and thought it would be useful to start a wiki. Please feel free to update or correct anything. I haven't stayed here, so the information is based on the contents of the thread:

- Diamond Suite Upgrades are NOT available at this property.
- Diamond members receive a complimentary full breakfast for up to 4 guests.
- The beds are very firm platform beds. I saw a few posts where a foam pad for the top of the bed was requested.
- Docked cruise ships that may obstruct the view from the Harbour view rooms.
- The hotel is 4 stories.

The concierge desk offers a weekly tour of the Rocks on Saturday.

Link that shows when cruise ships will be docked opposite the hotel:
https://www.portauthoritynsw.com.au/...ruise-schedule

Room Types and Floorplans:
https://www.scribd.com/document/3404...t-Sydney-Rooms

Expert Review posted in Luxury Forum: http://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-reviews/r-wonderful-park-hyatt-sydney-stay-and-city-harbor-view-with-a-few-caveats-1943
Print Wikipost

Park Hyatt Sydney (Post-Reno) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2015, 7:24 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I really don't mean this to sound the way that it inevitably will, but sometimes you just have to 'pay to play'. If you can't afford a particular hotel room, just stay somewhere else. Your description of 'mid-20s with not much in the bank' does not reconcile with spending hundred of A$ on 5* hotel rooms. If you can get it on points, great, if not, stay somewhere else and enjoy the city just as much. You won't miss the PH Sydney (psst...it's not that great)!

Last edited by LondonElite; Dec 2, 2015 at 12:25 pm Reason: Spelling
Old Dec 2, 2015, 8:16 am

Programs: "But, I'm a GLOBALIST guest...."
Originally Posted by LondonElite
I really don't mean this to sound the way that it inevitable will, but sometimes you just have to 'pay to play'. If you can't afford a particular hotel room, just stay somewhere else. Your description of 'mid-20s with not much in the bank' does not reconcile with spending hundred of A$ on 5* hotel rooms. If you can get it on points, great, if not, stay somewhere else and enjoy the city just as much. You won't miss the PH Sydney (psst...it's not that great)!
But what makes america great is spending more than you have.... the thirty thousand dollar millionaire crowd is strong here. Very strong.
Old Dec 2, 2015, 10:07 am

Seems like the perfect case anyway for using up the Chase free award nights, wont really get more value elsewhere as its in the max category.

Also since the hotel anyways doesnt do diamond suite upgrades, using 30k points straight up per night is also an option I'd consider, in fact would prefer it over cash and points with the huge copay. By using the techniques I do for point generation, the net cost to me would be about $170 a night for straight points.
Old Dec 2, 2015, 10:11 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite
I really don't mean this to sound the way that it inevitable will, but sometimes you just have to 'pay to play'. If you can't afford a particular hotel room, just stay somewhere else. Your description of 'mid-20s with not much in the bank' does not reconcile with spending hundred of A$ on 5* hotel rooms. If you can get it on points, great, if not, stay somewhere else and enjoy the city just as much. You won't miss the PH Sydney (psst...it's not that great)!
Ya but theres ways to be points rich and cash poor. Theres so much I've done in several years that wouldn't have dreamed of if had to actually pay for.
Old Dec 2, 2015, 12:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
With 'not much money in the bank' would you spend A$300 (+points) on a hotel room?
Old Dec 2, 2015, 3:17 pm

Programs: Try to be elite again... :)
Or corporate rate merely costs only 400 USD - do some google search

with this, I would just pay cash...
Old Dec 2, 2015, 3:49 pm

Trying to save money <> asking for VIP status. Am I missing something here?
Old Dec 2, 2015, 8:14 pm
Formerly known as jlars77

Keep in mind it's AUD, so only ~$210 USD for P+C unless exchange rates change drastically before your stay.
Old Dec 2, 2015, 8:53 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Most economical way? Both of you apply for the Chase Hyatt CC and redeem for four nights (two nights each).

If not, I'd probably go elsewhere and stay at a Virtuoso/AMEX property, especially if they're doing a Stay 3-Pay 2 or Stay 4-Pay 3.
Old Dec 2, 2015, 9:26 pm

Originally Posted by njdealguy
Seems like the perfect case anyway for using up the Chase free award nights, wont really get more value elsewhere as its in the max category.

Also since the hotel anyways doesnt do diamond suite upgrades, using 30k points straight up per night is also an option I'd consider, in fact would prefer it over cash and points with the huge copay. By using the techniques I do for point generation, the net cost to me would be about $170 a night for straight points.
For the chase free award nights. As long as a standard room is available, I should be able to book it right(I have not applied for the cc yet and not sure if there should be a sense of urgency). My travel is in June of next year.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 12:28 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
To be clear: This hotel isn't known to treat Diamonds as they should.

Remember that when you check in as a Diamond the manifest all staff sees states how many Hyatt room nights you have at that property and over your lifetime. IME, the former counts much more than anything else.

Also, Sydney is quite expensive. But the hotel is stunning so worth it if you can.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by m0hamed
To be clear: This hotel isn't known to treat Diamonds as they should.

Remember that when you check in as a Diamond the manifest all staff sees states how many Hyatt room nights you have at that property and over your lifetime. IME, the former counts much more than anything else.

Also, Sydney is quite expensive. But the hotel is stunning so worth it if you can.
Good to know. Will definitely stay there due to the positive reviews of the overall hotel even if Diamonds are not much recognized.
Old Dec 4, 2015, 6:24 am

Same situation here. In my 20s without little $ in the bank. But my stay in PHS with my wife was absolutely amazing, so plan ahead and I am sure you will enjoy it.

Redeemed 2 free night from Chase Hyatt CC in June this year.

Free upgrade to opera dulex room with a free bottle of French red wine and a plate of chocolate dipped fresh fruit. Free breakfast for sure.

Spent 90 AUD for some fresh flowers in room. My wife loved them very much.

All you need to do is to email them.

I would suggest you do 2 CC free nights and book your other nights in nearby nice hotels.
Old Dec 4, 2015, 8:01 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by dlwstc
Same situation here. In my 20s without little $ in the bank. But my stay in PHS with my wife was absolutely amazing, so plan ahead and I am sure you will enjoy it.

Redeemed 2 free night from Chase Hyatt CC in June this year.

Free upgrade to opera dulex room with a free bottle of French red wine and a plate of chocolate dipped fresh fruit. Free breakfast for sure.

Spent 90 AUD for some fresh flowers in room. My wife loved them very much.

All you need to do is to email them.

I would suggest you do 2 CC free nights and book your other nights in nearby nice hotels.
You must be a Diamond, free breakfast is a Diamond perk and few Diamonds actually get upgraded to the opera deluxe room.
Old Dec 4, 2015, 8:21 am

Originally Posted by peteropny
You must be a Diamond, free breakfast is a Diamond perk and few Diamonds actually get upgraded to the opera deluxe room.
Yes. That's why I sent an email before our arrival, and big surprise!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.