Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Sydney (Post-Reno) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2016, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: bhrubin
I have an upcoming stay and read the entire thread. I saw some common themes, and thought it would be useful to start a wiki. Please feel free to update or correct anything. I haven't stayed here, so the information is based on the contents of the thread:

- Diamond Suite Upgrades are NOT available at this property.
- Diamond members receive a complimentary full breakfast for up to 4 guests.
- The beds are very firm platform beds. I saw a few posts where a foam pad for the top of the bed was requested.
- Docked cruise ships that may obstruct the view from the Harbour view rooms.
- The hotel is 4 stories.

The concierge desk offers a weekly tour of the Rocks on Saturday.

Link that shows when cruise ships will be docked opposite the hotel:
https://www.portauthoritynsw.com.au/...ruise-schedule

Room Types and Floorplans:
https://www.scribd.com/document/3404...t-Sydney-Rooms

Expert Review posted in Luxury Forum: http://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-reviews/r-wonderful-park-hyatt-sydney-stay-and-city-harbor-view-with-a-few-caveats-1943
Print Wikipost

Park Hyatt Sydney (Post-Reno) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2014, 12:45 am

Is it true PH SYD isn't allowing in-room breakfast for diamonds anymore? That's what it says on the other thread...
Old Sep 4, 2014, 10:46 am

New Year's Eve

Staying here over New Year's Eve. The rates are crazy at AU$1,300 for a Park King, and AU$1,900 for a City Harbour King. Is the additional AU$600 worth it for the View room? I have been told it will have a balcony and views of the city skyline from the City Harbour room, but not views of the Sydney Harbour. Are there actually any City Harbour Kings that don't have a view of the water (I think they meant there are no views of the fireworks, but if its called a Harbour room it must face the water or opera house, right)?
Old Sep 4, 2014, 11:31 am

"Opera Deluxe" would have a double balcony and dead on views of the Opera House. The photo is taken from the balcony to look back at the curvature of the building. I can not speak to the location/view of the fireworks.

Old Sep 4, 2014, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by saaveraward
"Opera Deluxe" would have a double balcony and dead on views of the Opera House. The photo is taken from the balcony to look back at the curvature of the building. I can not speak to the location/view of the fireworks.
There are very few places I would pay extra for a view. This would be one of them.

Some other ones off the top of my head:
Hyatt Regency Jersey City - View of NY skyline is incredible on the other side of the Hudson.
Highlands Inn - Ocean view from balcony is breathtaking.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 6:19 am

What happened to their suites? I can`t find availability for on any date this and next year. Did they permanently rent them to someone? Or can you just not book them via the website anymore?
Old Sep 11, 2014, 6:32 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Hosserunda
What happened to their suites? I can`t find availability for on any date this and next year. Did they permanently rent them to someone? Or can you just not book them via the website anymore?
Looks like a 2 night minimum stay. They don't show up for 27-28 March, but 27-29/30/31 are available.

You call call direct if you're planning on paying AUD $2000+/night
Old Sep 11, 2014, 4:55 pm

I would - if I could! I was actually just wondering, I`m more a "standard room with cash and points" kinda guy
Old Sep 11, 2014, 5:25 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Hosserunda
I would - if I could! I was actually just wondering, I`m more a "standard room with cash and points" kinda guy
So why ask?
Old Sep 11, 2014, 11:47 pm

Originally Posted by JunkDiver
There are very few places I would pay extra for a view. This would be one of them.
Amen. Honestly, top to bottom, this may be my favorite property in the world, regardless of brand or status.
Old Sep 13, 2014, 6:19 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Just finished our5 night stay there, received a bottle of champagne and a hand written note congratulating us on our anniversary, service was great and as far as the view ..wow--we finished a couple of nights in the jacuzzi w/the champagne one night and a bottle of wine the other overlooking the opera house... wow
Old Sep 21, 2014, 2:59 am

Programs: BA Gold Guest List; HH Diamond; Hyatt Diamond; SPG Gold
I have an upcoming stay planned here for six nights, early October. I would like to stay in either an Opera King or Opera Deluxe room. The matrix of options and costs is all over the place, so would appreciate input on best options.

On my corporate rate, I can book the basic Park King at 595 AUD. From reading the thread, this is a no-view room from which the hotel is loth to upgrade. However, I am Hyatt Diamond, and I suppose I could make a huge fuss at checkin to get the programme benefits. Even then, not in any sense guaranteed.

Also on my corporate rate, I can book the City Harbour King at 745 AUD and the Opera King at 845 AUD. Given the relatively small price difference, it would seem perverse to book the City Harbour room and hope for the upgrade, unless it were more or less guaranteed. My corporate rate doesn't include any of the Deluxe rooms.

The next best available rate plan is the Hyatt Daily Rate. Opera King is 950 AUD (no obvious reason to book this) and the Opera Deluxe is 1370 AUD per night.

At the moment, I'm holding a reservation for the Opera King on my corporate rate and keeping fingers crossed for an upgrade to the Opera Deluxe. What would others do? I'm not a frequent guest here; stayed a couple of times before pre-renovation.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 3:17 am
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by NickW
I have an upcoming stay planned here for six nights, early October. I would like to stay in either an Opera King or Opera Deluxe room. The matrix of options and costs is all over the place, so would appreciate input on best options.

On my corporate rate, I can book the basic Park King at 595 AUD. From reading the thread, this is a no-view room from which the hotel is loth to upgrade. However, I am Hyatt Diamond, and I suppose I could make a huge fuss at checkin to get the programme benefits. Even then, not in any sense guaranteed.

Also on my corporate rate, I can book the City Harbour King at 745 AUD and the Opera King at 845 AUD. Given the relatively small price difference, it would seem perverse to book the City Harbour room and hope for the upgrade, unless it were more or less guaranteed. My corporate rate doesn't include any of the Deluxe rooms.

The next best available rate plan is the Hyatt Daily Rate. Opera King is 950 AUD (no obvious reason to book this) and the Opera Deluxe is 1370 AUD per night.

At the moment, I'm holding a reservation for the Opera King on my corporate rate and keeping fingers crossed for an upgrade to the Opera Deluxe. What would others do? I'm not a frequent guest here; stayed a couple of times before pre-renovation.
I highly doubt if you book a Park King on a corporate rate and are Diamond that the hotel will allocate that room type.

If it was me I would keep this booking and then see what happens at check in. You are a repeat guest and the property will recognise this. Your chance of an upgrade is better than the other Diamonds.

It seems you're not worried about price so my old motto is: Book the room you want to stay in.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 10:58 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

I have reached out to the hotel on occasion in the past if its important to me.
Have found nothing but excellence overall in kind helpful attitude and cooperation/concern in the past years with communication or requests just before renovation and after
Most reasonable expectations are truly fulfilled.
This wasn't always the case. The property has been very Diamond friendly in recent years.
That certainly can't be said for all Hyatt properties I travel too however most are highly cooperative ^
As long as one knows they have a strict policy of no suites whatsoever unless paying
Unless I am traveling with someone (where the view is critical for the fuller experience) and the room is one of great renovated standards in a good reasonably quiet location
I am not going to get bent out of shape if I don't get the best view.
When it truly matters reach out to the hotel to see how occupancy is and what your chances are.
My many years on the road have shown me when it matters to you/any guest and they are clear of your hopeful expectations they may try harder to get you the upgraded accommodations you are seeking.
Do not be a pest nor ever make a fuss unless you have truly been wronged
This is almost always unnecessary, a waste of energy and typically will work against you in the long run.
This property has an exceptional management team on board here and really tries in my own perception to make guests happy
As a Diamond member/guest I have been treated well on every imaginable kind of paid rate, points or stay certificates. Even Hyatt Visa complimentary nights.
Book what you like at the end of the day that works best for you.
I'm back in Late January early February and looking forward. They have never let me down yet even with a few of the service bumps that do happen out there.
Every day is a new show when your on the road and so YMMV!
Old Sep 22, 2014, 11:56 am
Used to be 'thiti'

Programs: UA-PP 1MM, Hyatt-Globalist, Bonvoy-LT Titanium, Hertz-Pres Cir

I had a corporate rate of 235AUD and spent three nights there last year. They assigned me a park king with view facing the back of the building. I asked the hotel politely and they were able to move me on the second night to a suite with Opera House view (#323 I believe).

Coupon months later, I had a one-night stay and got upgraded to the same type of room without asking.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by Sawasdee
I had a corporate rate of 235AUD.
Holy cow. Can I work for your company?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.