Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

[HYATT NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[HYATT NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2011, 9:24 pm

Programs: Nothing worth mentioning
Handicapped Parking Fee?

Does Hyatt offer a free &/or reduced rate for overnight handicapped parking?
Old Mar 31, 2011, 9:46 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by travelsavant
I have never heard of this benefit with any major hotel company and I have had handicapped family members.It certainly was never brought up......
If anyone else knows about a benefit that exists with any of the hotel chains please do share.
If it does exist its the best kept secret in town
Old Mar 31, 2011, 10:03 pm

Room upgrades

Hello,

I appreciate the other answer to my question and it being so prompt. As you can tell I am new to Hyatt after coming over from Marriott the last few years. Anyway, I am trying to figure out room upgrades through Hyatt. When I booked the room they had an eConcierge option where I can request room upgrades. I had a standard King and requested a SKY King through eConcierge. On this page it stated that it would cost me an extra 40ish dollars a night. My question is, if this room is available, will I truly have to pay for it, or will the platinum status make it free.

So in a long winded question, what exactly does the platinum room upgrade mean? Is going from a standard king, to a "Sky King" (which has a better view and is larger) a platinum benefit?

Do people request upgrades through the econcierge, or do you just wait until you arrive? If I request through the eConcierge, and my room is upgraded, will I get charged?

On a side note, if I book a room for me and my wife and another for my children, will they only upgrade one room even if they are confirmed to be attached rooms?

I appreciate any advice from the experts.

I have roughly 35 nights to book over the next 2 months at different locations (some business and some family), so I would like to know how to master the econcierge/the upgrades.
Old Mar 31, 2011, 11:05 pm

Originally Posted by BLAR
Hello,

I appreciate the other answer to my question and it being so prompt. As you can tell I am new to Hyatt after coming over from Marriott the last few years. Anyway, I am trying to figure out room upgrades through Hyatt. When I booked the room they had an eConcierge option where I can request room upgrades. I had a standard King and requested a SKY King through eConcierge. On this page it stated that it would cost me an extra 40ish dollars a night. My question is, if this room is available, will I truly have to pay for it, or will the platinum status make it free.

So in a long winded question, what exactly does the platinum room upgrade mean? Is going from a standard king, to a "Sky King" (which has a better view and is larger) a platinum benefit?

Do people request upgrades through the econcierge, or do you just wait until you arrive? If I request through the eConcierge, and my room is upgraded, will I get charged?

On a side note, if I book a room for me and my wife and another for my children, will they only upgrade one room even if they are confirmed to be attached rooms?

I appreciate any advice from the experts.

I have roughly 35 nights to book over the next 2 months at different locations (some business and some family), so I would like to know how to master the econcierge/the upgrades.
Welcome to Hyatt Gold Passport ^ Our Ambassador pleasure
To this traveler Hyatt compared to Marriott is alike a breath of fresh air when in a full service property.
That includes both the hotel and the program benefits.
I may have to duck when I say that as there remain a number of diehard Marriott fans out there
The requirements to acheive status are fairer and the benefits richer

Even as a Diamond member I see room upgrades for sale. The reason we stay loyal is to be upgraded.
Its of my opinion once they take away that benefit why bother to be loyal? Upgrades are subjective. it depends what your expectation is.I always check Flyertalk and Trip Advisor for a cross check of room types and other. I deal face to face or by phone in advance. I don't believe in paying online or checking in online and taking a room that happens to be available. If I have special requests they are in my comments box in the reservation or with the front office of the hotel. Why wing it for the upcoming stay experience?

If I haven't been to a hotel I may call them and say for example
"What might a Platinum member expect in the way of an upgrade?"
My other question would be is how high the occupancy is going to be during my stay? Taking all the above factors into account you can decide what they might upgrade you too upon arrival. My rule of thumb is to never pay for an upgrade unless something very special warrants such action.... (because if you pay it’s not an upgrade at that point. It’s an up sell on your room rate )
You are essentially buying it......and the difference in room types typically is marginal at most properties even when on a club or Gold Passport floor sometimes at least when regarding the actual room itself.

I wait till I get to the hotel and if I don't like my room I say something. It’s rare but when I have to I request a room change. In the hotels I personally frequent I know the room types so it’s easy to know what to expect.......Hyatt typically takes care of the guest in its full service properties. Usually they will block your preferred room type in advance if you become a regular. It is rare for the evil Hyatt property however they do exist.......! I am less concerned with an upgraded room typically as I am with quiet clean and well located in like new condition. That said we all have different needs.........

Typically most hotels many of the rooms are the same and the upgrade if any wil depend on a wide variety of factors.......with two rooms only the elite members occupied room should be upgraded. Sometimes the hotel will upgrade both or just put two of the same rooms together upgraded or not.
Once again the word upgrade is in the eyes of the beholder!

I have never used econcierge personally. If anyone has something positive or negative to share do tell.......Other than that Diamond is where the best treatment/recognition exists in almost any hotel program
Hopefully you too will join the ranks of the Diamond evangelists over time if that is your end goal....
Cheers

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; Apr 1, 2011 at 9:56 am
Old Apr 1, 2011, 7:32 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by travelsavant
Generally no - but at some properties the handicapped parking spaces are free since they are outside the garage area - the only one that I know of is the HR SFO.

Originally Posted by BLAR
Anyway, I am trying to figure out room upgrades through Hyatt. When I booked the room they had an eConcierge option where I can request room upgrades. I had a standard King and requested a SKY King through eConcierge. On this page it stated that it would cost me an extra 40ish dollars a night. My question is, if this room is available, will I truly have to pay for it, or will the platinum status make it free.

The upgrade you mention probably won't happen for you as a Platinum since the T&Cs call for upgrades to the "best room within the category reserved" unlike for Diamonds which T&Cs call for upgrades to the "best non-suite room". And the "SkyKing" is definitely not in the same category as the "standard King" since as you say its much larger and on a higher floor and the eConcierge upgrade charge is a hefty $40 (small upgrade charges are closer to $10).

I've never used the eConcierge (otherwise known around here as Nor1 - the name of the company that has this system put in place) at Hyatt but I've always assumed that if you put in for the upgrade that you will be charged for it (I recently did this at a Hilton property - I"m Gold at Hilton which is approximately the same or a little better than Plat at Hyatt - got the upgrade and was charged for it).

While Hyatt's T&Cs call for status perks only on one room, they usually will grant it for at least two rooms (I've only had one property decline that perk).

However, again, please do not expect "too much" as a Platinum in terms of upgrades etc (since even at the most generous properties the upgrades are very subtle).
Old Apr 8, 2011, 6:17 am

Programs: BA Gold, SK Gold
I've got some Hyatt points laying around but not enough to book a cat. 6, so considering topping off my account to book a night in Buenos Aires. Could some kind soul please check if there is any availability at the PH Buenos Aires from April 21-25? Thanks!
Old Apr 8, 2011, 6:37 am

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
Originally Posted by ikura
I've got some Hyatt points laying around but not enough to book a cat. 6, so considering topping off my account to book a night in Buenos Aires. Could some kind soul please check if there is any availability at the PH Buenos Aires from April 21-25? Thanks!
Night of the 21st is fully booked, only seeing Diamond Guaranteed Availability @ $450 22nd-25th are okay though.
Old Apr 8, 2011, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
There are no award rooms available for those dates. Sorry
Old Apr 9, 2011, 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
Greetings
No shame in not being a newbie here
It's been years since I have done a booking on PL
That said it's been my experience and that of many others I hear from that Hyatt Hotels are typically very customer friendly to Diamond members when booking on third party and opaque booking sites like
Hyatt remains the most fair and consistent program to offer benefits through the years of all major programs
In my own perception upgrades can be a bit more challenging if looking for a
suite upgrade however they are very good typically offering all other Diamond perks.The one exception to that would be earning stay credit ,miles and or points for your stay
The good news is welcome amenity points can be earned and any points earned on eligible charges posted to your room during your stay
Thanks for the question
if a diamond member did not get any benefit at a Hyatt hotel even he shows the front desk staff his diamond card, can he file a complaint to Hyatt?
Old Apr 9, 2011, 1:51 pm

Programs: MRSPG LT Tit, HH Diamond, Hertz Pres.
When you say "did not get any benefit" what are you referring to?

Of course you can claim points or breakfast. If you are going to try to complain about a lack of an upgrade, you will have a difficult time.
Old Apr 9, 2011, 4:53 pm

...and I think your "complaint" would be heard more clearly if you brought it up with the hotel management before going to corporate Hyatt/Gold Passport program. There's always the possibility that the front desk person wasn't familiar with the benefits accruing to Diamond guests, in which case hoel management might intervene to "make things right" if indeed you were not given everything to which you were entitled (e.g., breakfast).
Old Apr 9, 2011, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by etsmyers
When you say "did not get any benefit" what are you referring to?

Of course you can claim points or breakfast. If you are going to try to complain about a lack of an upgrade, you will have a difficult time.
I think it's discussed in more detail in this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt...hyatt-pit.html
Old Apr 10, 2011, 9:44 pm

Programs: HH Gold, GP Diamond, ICH Plat, SPG Gold, WN A List, National Exec
I made a reservation today for 2 nights with Diamond Suite Upgrade Confirmed.

ROOM(S) BOOKED: DELUXE 2 DBL
ROOM DESCRIPTION: 2 Double Grand bed:450 SQ FT:Floors 1-3: Patio or Balcony.

NIGHTLY RATE PER ROOM:

April 18, 19 - 289.00 US DOLLARS

RATE INFORMATION: Regularly published room rates.

TYPE OF RATE: HYATT DAILY RATE

CANCELLATION POLICY: CANCEL 4PM CST 72 HOURS PRIOR TO ARRIVAL
Additional Information: DIAMOND SUITE UPGRADE CONFIRMED

Then I logged into my account and added some comments to the reservation and the new email no longer has the additional information listed. Do you think my Suite upgrade dropped off the reservation?

NIGHTLY RATE PER ROOM:

Changes to the dates of stay, number of guests per room or number of rooms confirmed will be subject to current pricing which may be different than previously confirmed rates.
Old Apr 10, 2011, 11:51 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by bradj

NIGHTLY RATE PER ROOM:

Additional Information: DIAMOND SUITE UPGRADE CONFIRMED

Then I logged into my account and added some comments to the reservation and the new email no longer has the additional information listed. Do you think my Suite upgrade dropped off the reservation?

NIGHTLY RATE PER ROOM:

Changes to the dates of stay, number of guests per room or number of rooms confirmed will be subject to current pricing which may be different than previously confirmed rates.
I wouldn't think so because they block off your suite at the hotel. You can always call GP to make sure!
Old Apr 11, 2011, 8:47 am

Programs: UA, AA, LH, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, Hertz
Originally Posted by bradj

IME, suite upgrades show on the reservation summary only sporadically but every time I call GP to confirm that I am still upgraded everything turns out OK. I guess we can attribute this inconsistency to the "stellar" GP website. I'd suggest you call them and confirm but I wouldn't worry about it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.