Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Mainz - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency Mainz - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2012, 1:12 pm

Diamond Welcome Amenity

Is it really true that they recently reduced the Diamond Welcome Amenity from 3 green apples to 2 green apples only?
Old Mar 16, 2012, 6:47 am

Location: LH SEN, SPG Gold(SCI Gold), Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold
We got a bootle of a good local red wine.
Old Mar 17, 2012, 4:55 am
hch

I'm in the hotel right now, and I can't find anything marked as a Diamond amenity. The two green apples are there (unmarked), and two tiny bits of Toblerone. I'm defintively going to mention that during checkout later today.
Old Mar 17, 2012, 5:11 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Toblerone!!

Consider yourself blessed...
Old Mar 17, 2012, 7:07 am

Well, you must be a VVIP at this hotel to get two bits of Toblerone ...

Originally Posted by hch
I'm in the hotel right now, and I can't find anything marked as a Diamond amenity. The two green apples are there (unmarked), and two tiny bits of Toblerone. I'm defintively going to mention that during checkout later today.
Old Mar 17, 2012, 10:35 am
hch

Just a challenge Diamond on an award stay. According to the front desk a bit of a fruit is the normal treatment for Diamonds in all European hotels, and the two tiny bits of Toblerone are a special.

I normally stay at non-chain or Hilton hotels in Europe so don't have a comparism, but the few times I didn't take the points in the US I got something much better.

A bottel of Wine is only reserved to Platinums with the each 3rd stay voucher according to the frontdesk..
Old Apr 2, 2012, 10:44 am

Programs: BA GGL, FB PLAT, TK ELPL, HYATT GLOB, HILTON DIAM, IHG SPIRE EL
Originally Posted by peter42
The newly renovated Bellpepper looks very nice (reminds me somewhat of the Victor).
The Bellpepper's stylish new look is indeed pleasant and creates a comfy atmosphere although they might have gotten their ideas for the decor from Duesseldorf rather than Miami. Now if there was a weird bluish jellyfish tank...

While the food is fairly reasonably priced, (some) beverages are clearly not. A tasting menu that includes corresponding wines is not available but they offer a 3-/4-course set menu (59/69 EUR +- 10 EUR) excl. beverages. The dessert was unimpressive, except for the selection of delicious home-made sherbet. Their wine menu should focus much more on the excellent regional wines.

The loud repetition (shouting) of each and every order is something you might want to tone down a bit in an open kitchen. Certainly maintains a bustling atmosphere though.

All in all, still the best German Hyatt Restaurant IMO. Will give the renovated Apples another try soon...

As for the amenity items - these were clearly indicated with black cards: a decent fruit platter (not just apples & tangerines...) and a beverage. The room was perfectly pepared (welcome card, RC info, current newspapers & magazines, fresh flowers, etc.) upon arrival and Regency Club staff even brought some giant yummy chocolate chip cookies later on.

The bottle of wine Peter mentioned is primarily a suite or voucher amenity I guess. That being said, I don't fully understand the fuss about an (undoubtedly) stingy amenity policy. As long as there is a welcome card and something out of the ordinary (maybe some fresh grapes on top of the apples or two miniature toblerones), I am never disappointed. The personal touch is the important point after all, not actual added value.
Remember that we're not talking about a top dollar Park Hyatt here.

In the end I have to say that the overall service level regarding this last stay was truly top notch and way better than I remembered.
Personal service and attention to detail were absolutely remarkable. Almost too good to be true.
Definitely worth a weekend (weekday rates are often crazy) stopover in the FRA area.
Old Apr 3, 2012, 3:33 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
Originally Posted by Nachtmeister

That being said, I don't fully understand the fuss about an (undoubtedly) stingy amenity policy. ... The personal touch is the important point after all, not actual added value.

In the end I have to say that the overall service level regarding this last stay was truly top notch and way better than I remembered.
Personal service and attention to detail were absolutely remarkable. Almost too good to be true.
I have been guilty upthread of making a fuss about the amenity, but mostly tongue-in-cheek. I totally agree with you regarding your last point - the service and attention to detail here are absolutely remarkable.

As I keep telling them, my equal favourite Hyatt (with PH Istanbul).
Old Apr 3, 2012, 4:44 am
Suspended

Programs: Everything is refundable
As pointed out before, the fresh fruit is an official amenity of a room on the Regency floor and not the actual Diamond Amenity.

It used to be listed under the amenities of club floor rooms...and still is today e.g. at the Regency Cologne.

Since years, however, the three green apples are also used as an ersatz-amenity for Diamond guests.

The normal amenity used to at least a bottle of wine and/or some local delights ( maybe even Toblerone )

The additional amenity might appear, if you stay more than one night, pay a higher rate or just out of random luck, same with the card signed by the GM, also random luck...unfortunately.

This is really my only negative point about Mainz..., it is so cheap and somehow lame and not in line with the official GPP rules.

Aside from that, a top notch hotel, very smooth and classy operation since years and the number one address in Mainz.
Old Jun 28, 2012, 10:12 am

has anyone experience with the possibility of a diamond suite upgrade at the HR Mainz?

I know that they only got 2 regency suites, but the july and august were already "reserved"

again i looked for january[2013] (no suites available), and in march and april[2013] no suites available ...

they offer me a club deluxe room for a diamond suite upgrade, but this is not really a good "deal".
as diamond we should always get the "best available room"

its really disappointing...
Old Jul 4, 2012, 9:35 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by Marevna
Is it really true that they recently reduced the Diamond Welcome Amenity from 3 green apples to 2 green apples only?
This week it is 5 pieces of fruit:
  1. apple
  2. pear
  3. peach
  4. 2 apricots

Parking is 20 euros per night.

The TV is an old tube CRT and is in a stand reminiscent of the half round swivel stand used at Parker Meridien in NYC. The upperhalf is a mirror and the TV is barely above bed level. I'm sure in its time it was a great design choice. Today, not so much.
Old Jul 5, 2012, 12:43 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K

Parking is 20 euros per night.

The TV is an old tube CRT and is in a stand reminiscent of the half round swivel stand used at Parker Meridien in NYC. The upperhalf is a mirror and the TV is barely above bed level. I'm sure in its time it was a great design choice. Today, not so much.
The hotel offers parking in their own garage, but the Q-Park garage is more or less right below the property, a quick elevator ride to the Malakoff Passage and if you have a key card, you can access the hotel via the conference center entrance. Street parking is mostly residents only, but there are some spots around 300-400m away from the property.

The TV stand is an original Interluebke piece, the sofas/chairs are Mies van der Rohe designs by Walter Knoll. The TV stand is a brilliant piece of upscale furniture design, but indeed a bit out of fashion, same with the Black Trinitron 16/9 CRT TV's by Sony and the selection of TV channels, which is way too limited ( a general Hyatt problem in Germany )

In general, the Regency Mainz is probably still superior to 90-95% of all properties on US soil, but a light renovation would make it more comparable with Cologne or Duesseldorf.

Last edited by FD1971; Jul 5, 2012 at 6:24 am
Old Jul 5, 2012, 12:51 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by cs1985
has anyone experience with the possibility of a diamond suite upgrade at the HR Mainz?

I know that they only got 2 regency suites, but the july and august were already "reserved"

again i looked for january[2013] (no suites available), and in march and april[2013] no suites available ...

they offer me a club deluxe room for a diamond suite upgrade, but this is not really a good "deal".

The club deluxe room is one of the rooms, which is 'inofficially' off-limits for Diamond upgrades or at least very hard to come by. One has to give the property a lot of credit for not selling it as a suite..., effectively it is larger than the entry level suites at the Park Hamburg.

If you want the best room, use the suite upgrade. Depending on your arrival date and Diamond leverage power, you might end up in a city view room..., the property has very high occupancy levels on certain dates.
Old Jul 9, 2012, 9:17 am

Location: LH SEN, SPG Gold(SCI Gold), Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold

They are hard to come by, but we managed to do so twice.
Old Jul 9, 2012, 2:02 pm
Community Director Emerita

We are finding in both European and Asian travels that suites are heavily booked by Middle Eastern families in June/July/August. We were at the Heidelberg Marriott a few days ago and each of their 14 suites were booked by paying guests. We've been finding this a lot in the past 3 or 4 years.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.