Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Mainz - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2004, 11:27 pm
Original Poster

As a Diamond Member for consecetive 6 years I thought that I had received every bad recognition that an hotel employee can give to a guest but this hotel has exceeded it.
With a confirmed suite upgrade for a paid room, a second paid connecting room, both for 2 nights (including my birthday), dinner appointment for 12 family members (total amount nearly 1.500 Euro) and as a guest who stayed there over 30 times they kicked me out of the suite one week before the arrival. Only a lady of the sales department called me to advise me that the suite should be sold to somenone who stays there already for 2 weeks and who wants to stay their 2 more weeks.
Hey, this would be acceptable, but the strange thing is: a minute later and three days later I called the Hyatt Reservation and asked for a Regency King Suite (they only have 2 of them) for the same dates and always they offered me this type of suite for a regular rate. So the only reason for the Hyatt Mainz was to save money on the upgrade, dumped me to two normal rooms (which they do not wanted to confirm as Rhine View) and show me want they think is the "Hyatt Touch". They offered me for my next stay the presidential suite as an compensation, but this time I use 6.000 Points Suite upgrade only for one night and pay for both rooms a higher rate (including this is a Sunday night comparing to the other weekday nights). I cancelled the reservation and stay since yesterday at the Sheraton Towers Frankfurt Airport and enjoy a treatment three times better then the normal Hyatt Mainz stay. The Tower lounge is great with food and drinks the whole day :-: :-: :-: .
I only can hope that they will open as fast as they can the Grand Hyatt Frankfurt to get out of this hotel.
Old Apr 2, 2004, 1:42 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Gold
Originally Posted by jscenturion
I only can hope that they will open as fast as they can the Grand Hyatt Frankfurt to get out of this hotel.
Well, I'm a regular at this property and I have never had any sort of trouble staying over there. NEVER! I think what you experienced is a one-time issue. In your place I would have accepted their apology and would have gone for a presidential suite on an upcoming stay. That one alone is worth about 2000€ per night!

By the way... The Frankfurt Grand isn't that sure yet. And: Hyatt will not give up management of the Mainz property which in my opinion is simply awesome!
Old Apr 4, 2004, 5:20 am

Programs: KLM FB plat / Hertz Pres Circle / AB EB Gold
Angry HR Mainz

sorry Muerz to disagree with you. I always stayed at the HR Mainz when I was in the Frankfurt/Wiesbaden area and after many stays I think about changing to another hotel. Lately everything goes wrong with this hotel.

View rooms: garbage belt. no Rhineblick room offered for Diam.

Regency club: worst service. When you arrive NO FOOD LEFT, NO REFILL, begging for a drink !

In Bellpepper last time, they did not even have a decent bottle of white wine, nor a simple 7up.

The Reservations department: punishes you to be a loyal guest and try to ask as much as possible, despite lower market rates being available in their system.

And the presidential suite, worth €2000,- ? No way. 400 euro is already to much for the pres.suite.

It is time for a thorough change at this hotel for me to return to this hotel !
Old Apr 15, 2004, 4:34 pm

Location: LH SEN, SPG Gold(SCI Gold), Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold
Eventhough I think that some things could be improved at the Hyatt in Mainz (like giving out a real Diamond amenity and sometimes better selection in the RC), much has already improved in the last 2 years (e.g. the RC is staffed during the main times now). Bellpeper nearly always offered good service to us.
Old May 10, 2004, 1:59 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
Hmm...

I have a early morning flight from FRA and just booked here, to save my beloved family from having to drive me from the outskirts of K-town to FRA.

Did I just make a big mistake?

I take it its pretty self explanatory to take the train from Mainz to the airport?

thanks,

lala
Old May 10, 2004, 2:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, United IK, AA LifPLT, Hyatt Globalist, IHG PLT AMB, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton G
Stay at the Sheraton Arabella Grand A Luxury Collection

Originally Posted by lalala
Hmm...

I have a early morning flight from FRA and just booked here, to save my beloved family from having to drive me from the outskirts of K-town to FRA.

Did I just make a big mistake?

I take it its pretty self explanatory to take the train from Mainz to the airport?

thanks,

lala
The Hyatt inMainz is the worst, you are better off at the Arabella SHeraton Grand, part of the Luxury Collection. I havenever paid morethan130 Euro and it is 5 trainstops from FRA flughafen. train stops right outside th ehotel, Konrad Adenauer Strasse.
Old May 10, 2004, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
How much luggage?

Hmm...

Have you got? It's a bit of a walk (well, 5-7 minutes at a reasonable pace) to the S-bahn station for FRA.
Old May 10, 2004, 7:30 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
no luggage to speak of, but i'll stay at the arabella if its that bad.

Thanks!

lala
Old May 10, 2004, 9:27 pm

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
I did not have a particularly bad experience at HR Mainz, though I wouldn't classify it as a particualrly good one either. Even though I handed the front desk staff my DIA card, they still got my name wrong and checked me in as someone else, which was apparent when I told them I was using a FFN for the stay. They would not (or could not) give me a river view room, though I had club access. Snacks and drinks, just so-so. The breakfast, same. I had stayed at the Hilton the night before on an award stay, and they gave me a river view room and full breakfast, as a Gold HH member.

If you do stay in Mainz, check to see if the train you want stops at Mainz Sud as this is the closest station to HR.

Frankfurt, and the Arabella Grand, probably would be the better choice, as the weekend rates are similar to HR Mainz's. Not sure about weekday rates, which can be quite high in Frankfurt.
Old May 11, 2004, 2:38 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Gold
no luggage to speak of, but i'll stay at the arabella if its that bad.

As far as the train access to FRA is concerned, I am not able to help you but as far as the hotel is concerned, I am afraid I have to report the opposite of SethLevy. This is a wonderful Hyatt! Check out my review at the Hyatt Review Page: http://www.hotelreview.de.vu
Old May 11, 2004, 9:04 am

I vote for the HR Mainz too.
Just take the train S8 (takes about 20min) to Mainz Süd. From there it is either a 5 minute walk or 2 minutes by cab.

And try their open kitchen restaurant.
Old Jun 17, 2004, 1:28 pm

Location: LH HON Circle, SQ PPS, BA Gold, Hyatt Diamond, ShangriLa Elite
I stay regularly in the hotel since 2 years. U still get the full Diamond benefits (upgrade, water, fruit plate) but U have often 2 ask/remind them. The rooms view view 2 the Rhine/Main are nice and the showers are excellent.

The restaurant is good but can be a problem if the restaurant is full: the service is very weak then. If there are only a few guests, the service is very attentive. I also find the wine selection poor in the restaurant but better compared to the Graugans in Cologne which has so many Riessling on the wine list. Terrible, sorry. Otherwise the Graugans is better organised and offers the better food (Ur mileage may vary of course).

lalala mentioned that he has an early morning flight. I would recommend 2 stay at the Sheraton Airport Hotel. This hotel has an outstanding lounge and nice rooms (+ decent wines ). The hotel is directlz connected 2 the airport - perfect 4 earlz departures.
Old Jun 22, 2004, 11:56 am

My stay was excellent. Nice room - 635 will give muerz some more pics for his site. Amenity was in room and the bed was very comfortable.

Nicely equipped Regency Club and the view from the room was stunning. I wish I had more time to spend puttering around Mainz.

I took the train in the am to the airport -- I think I paid 6 euros and it was pretty easy to get to.
Old Jun 23, 2004, 8:52 am

My stay was excellent. Nice room - 635 will give muerz some more pics for his site. Amenity was in room and the bed was very comfortable.

Nicely equipped Regency Club and the view from the room was stunning. I wish I had more time to spend puttering around Mainz.

I took the train in the am to the airport -- I think I paid 6 euros and it was pretty easy to get to.
The train is 3,25€ OW. What amenity did you get?
Old Jun 23, 2004, 10:38 am

Originally Posted by peter42
The train is 3,25€ OW. What amenity did you get?

Hmm. I have no idea why I paid so much for the train.

I received a plate of unripe apricots and a bottle of water already in my room. I spent the weekend at my cousin's big fat german-persian wedding, so I was ready for some detox. The amenity suited me fine, I didn't have to fight for it and didn't have to tip anyone who delivered it.

lala

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.