Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Mainz - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency Mainz - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2011, 8:35 pm

Programs: UA GS, Avis CHM, Marriott & SPG & PC Plat., Hyatt & Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by lucky9876coins
I wrote a review of the hotel with pictures on my blog, which can be found here.
That's an excellent travel report with great pictures. Thanks!
Old Jan 3, 2011, 10:18 pm

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
Originally Posted by lucky9876coins
I stayed at the Hyatt Regency a couple of weeks ago and had a great stay. The club lounge was closed for breakfast because they were short staffed (it was the week before Christmas), so we got complimentary restaurant breakfast, which was awesome. I wrote a review of the hotel with pictures on my blog, which can be found here.
Nice, thanks for the link.
Old Jan 7, 2011, 5:00 pm

Programs: UA-Silver; Hyatt Platinum; SPG Gold
I had a great 1 night stay at the Mainz Hyatt last month. I was passing through Frankfurt and decided to see a little of Mainz.

I used a Diamond Suite Upgrade to be confirmed in the Regency Suite. The suite was fantastic. Very large living room, full size dining table for 8, nice size bedroom and very large bathroom. The room wasn't quite ready when I arrived so the front desk person took me to the Regency Club and I made a coffee. She said she would come and get me in less than 30 minutes. She was back in 15 and took me to the suite to make sure everything as ok.

There was a bottle of wine, plate of fruit and 2 containers with pastries. I thought this was the diamond amenity but after reading this thread all of this could have been for being in the suite but I only paid 225 euros so not sure.

The room could use some flat screen TV's but there was a great Nespresso machine and I made some great coffee !

All in all a really nice stay at a very nice Hyatt.

Last edited by TMOTEE; Jan 7, 2011 at 5:11 pm
Old Jan 8, 2011, 2:17 am
Suspended

Programs: Everything is refundable
Originally Posted by TMOTEE
I used a Diamond Suite Upgrade to be confirmed in the Regency Suite. The suite was fantastic. Very large living room, full size dining table for 8, nice size bedroom and very large bathroom.

There was a bottle of wine, plate of fruit and 2 containers with pastries. I thought this was the diamond amenity but after reading this thread all of this could have been for being in the suite but I only paid 225 euros so not sure.

The room could use some flat screen TV's but there was a great Nespresso machine and I made some great coffee !

All in all a really nice stay at a very nice Hyatt.
Normally, a suite at a Hyatt in Europe comes with at least a bottle of wine and some other food items, a fruit plate or some goodies from the hotel bakery. At the Regency Mainz, the RC Concierge is in charge of stocking the suites with some extra amenities, so he/she might just take what is available in the RC kitchen or kitchen downstairs.

One should forget that this is a full suite, normally selling for ~ Euro 800-900.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 5:43 am

Programs: True Blue Mosaic, Southwest companion pass, Hyatt gold passport Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Very Nice stay in Mainz

We had a layover in Frankfurt on our way back from Africa and I decided it would be worth the 20 minute train ride to stay at the Hyatt Regency in Mainz (vs the airport Sheraton which didn't have good reveiws)

I read some of the reviews on this thread and decided it seemed like a much better option.

I was very, very impressed! We were upgraded to a suite because of our Diamond status and had a lovely bottle of wine and a fruit plate waiting for us.

We arrived late, so we were tired and decided to order room service. The weiner schnitzel was outstanding, and served very quickly.

Overall, the staff was very friendly and helpful. We wish we could have stayed longer to explore the city, but we had an 8 am flight, so we checked out before breakfast to catch an early train.

For those considering this property for a layover, the train is very convenient from the airport and only a couple of minutes to walk to the hotel.

I highly recommend this property!
Old Jan 12, 2011, 5:03 pm

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
Originally Posted by adccruise
We had a layover in Frankfurt on our way back from Africa and I decided it would be worth the 20 minute train ride to stay at the Hyatt Regency in Mainz (vs the airport Sheraton which didn't have good reveiws)
I absolutely agree that the Hyatt in Mainz is a better hotel than the Sheraton at the airport. That said, if my only consideration was quality of hotel - that is, the only thing I was planning to do was grab a meal, a shower, and some sleep - I wouldn't bother with the journey. This is partially because it is not just a 20 minute train ride, but a walk to the train station in the airport, waiting for a train for up to 30 minutes, and then walking from the train station to the hotel, and a repeat of the process on the return.

The Sheraton is a perfectly adequate hotel, with comfortable beds and a reasonable restaurant. Yes, it is uninspired and soulless, but I don't need those things for a purely functional layover. Tripadvisor reviews seem quite high for this hotel, despite your comments to the contrary.

In your case, you arrived late enough that you just ordered room service, and left to catch an 8:00am flight. Unless the price difference was significant, I would have rather spent the to-and-fro time resting up in the Sheraton, as much as I like Mainz and think the Hyatt is a good hotel. Getting a suite upgrade is nice, as is the amenity, but I don't know that I would feel that I got enough use out of it to make it worth it.

However, I would agree with your recommendation if you have a longer layover as the Hyatt has fine accommodations with access to spa facilities (if that's your thing), a decent restaurant (although not spectacular) and a much better location if you want to take a walk, do some sightseeing, or simply spend time looking out the window (assuming a Rhine view). I do highly recommend exploring Mainz as it is pleasant town with some great churches.

Last edited by You want to go where?; Jan 12, 2011 at 5:19 pm
Old Feb 9, 2011, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
I'll be staying at this property, next month. I understand the hotel has a car service to FRA, which I may use for my return flight.. Are there any other options for getting from FRA to the Hyatt?
Old Feb 9, 2011, 5:32 pm

Programs: Phoenician Airlines
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
I'll be staying at this property, next month. I understand the hotel has a car service to FRA, which I may use for my return flight.. Are there any other options for getting from FRA to the Hyatt?
Follow the signs in the terminal to get to the trains. You want the regional trains area not the long-distance trains (the signs will so indicate once you are in the train station). Buy a ticket from the machine to Mainz (I think it's around 6 euros, not sure though). Take the S8 train to the "Mainz Rmisches Theater" stop. Note this is one stop before the main Mainz station. Train runs every half-hour, takes 23 minutes. Only about a 5-minute walk to the hotel from the Rmisches Theater station. Turn right when you exit the station, walk past the movie theater on your right, a block or two to Rheinstrasse, cross over, the hotel is to your left and directly on the river so your view of it is obscured by the buildings on Rheinstrasse.

Here's a link to a map:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...,0.026157&z=16
Old Feb 9, 2011, 9:32 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Cab is about 50 Euros - we took a cab to FRA from the hotel since we didn't really feel like dragging the bags to the train etc.
Old Feb 9, 2011, 11:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by Phlebas
Follow the signs in the terminal to get to the trains. You want the regional trains area not the long-distance trains (the signs will so indicate once you are in the train station). Buy a ticket from the machine to Mainz (I think it's around 6 euros, not sure though). Take the S8 train to the "Mainz Rmisches Theater" stop. Note this is one stop before the main Mainz station. Train runs every half-hour, takes 23 minutes. Only about a 5-minute walk to the hotel from the Rmisches Theater station. Turn right when you exit the station, walk past the movie theater on your right, a block or two to Rheinstrasse, cross over, the hotel is to your left and directly on the river so your view of it is obscured by the buildings on Rheinstrasse.

Here's a link to a map:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...,0.026157&z=16
Thank you for the information ^ Do you know what time the trains start running? I'll land at 5:45am on Saturday.

Originally Posted by peteropny
Cab is about 50 Euros - we took a cab to FRA from the hotel since we didn't really feel like dragging the bags to the train etc.
Thanks! I'm debating using the hotel car service.. I took it with some friends from the Andaz Liverpool ST.. Great driver.
Old Feb 10, 2011, 11:57 pm

Programs: Phoenician Airlines
s8 train times

1st S8 train from Frankfurt Flughafen is is 4:59 a.m. daily except Sunday, then every 30 minutes (5:29, 5:59, 6:29, etc.).

On Sunday first train is 5:29 a.m. then every thirty minutes.

The english DB rail site is very useful for checking schedules:

http://www.bahn.com/i/view/USA/en/index.shtml
Old Feb 20, 2011, 7:18 am

Originally Posted by Phlebas
1st S8 train from Frankfurt Flughafen is is 4:59 a.m. daily except Sunday, then every 30 minutes (5:29, 5:59, 6:29, etc.).

On Sunday first train is 5:29 a.m. then every thirty minutes.

The english DB rail site is very useful for checking schedules:

http://www.bahn.com/i/view/USA/en/index.shtml
Here now for a few nights. Upgraded to a corner room x01. Think it may be jr. suite. Looking at the map in the lounge, room 601 looks huge. Staff is great. No amenity
Old Feb 20, 2011, 11:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chanp
Here now for a few nights. Upgraded to a corner room x01. Think it may be jr. suite. Looking at the map in the lounge, room 601 looks huge. Staff is great. No amenity
Were there no apples left in your room?
Old Feb 21, 2011, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
Were there no apples left in your room?
Second night there was. Were you in room 601.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 2:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, AA, BA, US
I got a diamond upgrade to a regency suite in April for 7 nights, though most of my business will be in Frankfurt.

Does anyone who's been there have an opinion whether the suite at an average of EUR 115 per night is worth commuting to Frankfurt for?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.