Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

[GONE] Costco selling Hyatt Check Certificates (Not Applicable to Pre-paid Rates)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[GONE] Costco selling Hyatt Check Certificates (Not Applicable to Pre-paid Rates)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2009, 6:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP 4MM, Piper Dakota, Admirals Club, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Gold, Wyndham Diamond
It gets better....

Just purchased $3,000 worth of GCs for $2399.70 (no sales tax). Costco customer service says, "Let me save you some money. If you upgrade to Executive, $50, this purchase will just about pay for it because you'll begin getting 2% cash back begining with this purchase for whole your membership year, and we'll extend it another 2 months."

We shop at Costco quite a bit so I went for it. I've got about $2,000 worth of business Hyatt stays planned for January alone.
Old Dec 8, 2009, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: National Executive Elite, none of the others matter
Originally Posted by jimmychang
It's more a way for them to generate cash or to hit an year end sales goal.
Understand "generate cash" and there's a fair percentage of expiring certificates that are never redeemed. However, the sales of gift certificates doesn't reflect as sales or revenue - they are cash flow but a liability until redeemed or expired. Once redeemed, they become revenue / sales.
Old Dec 8, 2009, 6:23 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime PP ; Hyatt Globalist ; Nexus
That's true. But they might have an annual goal for selling this.

Originally Posted by icurhere2
However, the sales of gift certificates doesn't reflect as sales or revenue - they are cash flow but a liability until redeemed or expired. Once redeemed, they become revenue / sales.
Old Dec 8, 2009, 6:46 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by DealDetective
Does anyone know if the Executive members would earn the 2% rebate on these purchases? If so, consider upgrading if you are making a significant purchase.
All gift cards at Costco have always earned the two percent in the past and I can not see why these would be any different
Essentially 5k in gift checks would pay the 100 dollar membership off for the year
Old Dec 8, 2009, 7:44 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by icurhere2
Understand "generate cash" and there's a fair percentage of expiring certificates that are never redeemed. However, the sales of gift certificates doesn't reflect as sales or revenue - they are cash flow but a liability until redeemed or expired. Once redeemed, they become revenue / sales.
Sure it's a liability on the books (until it's decided what % will never be redeemed), but there's a reason companies push their GC's so hard. It improves free cash flow and locks the customer into a transaction with the company.
Old Dec 8, 2009, 8:07 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by ctownflyer
Sure it's a liability on the books (until it's decided what % will never be redeemed), but there's a reason companies push their GC's so hard. It improves free cash flow and locks the customer into a transaction with the company.
Yes I agree - but normally companies don't give 20% + discount on selling their GCs.
Old Dec 8, 2009, 8:21 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
FWIW to my Boston colleagues, in the greater BOS area:

Yes:
Danvers
Dedham

No:
Avon
Everett (and won't be getting them, per the manager who looked all this up)

Was told at Everett that Danvers and Dedham each have ~ 70 in stock, have sold ~ 70, and ~ 150 on order. Got her attention. As did the fact that I was the third person to ask her about them in the last two days. (The FT underground at work?)

oswaldjacoby, sorry for casting aspersions. Will advise brother, who also doesn't have a computer.

And jumpdogjump, brilliant. I've long said that FlyerTalk ought to have a special place for multiple deals that leverage, one on another -- and for those who figure them out and share.

By the way, the person I spoke with said there's a similar Costco/Travelocity 20%-off deal.
Old Dec 8, 2009, 8:54 pm

I noticed the T&C used the standard "participating" properties verbiage. According to GP, the only two hotels that do not accept them are Hyatt Regency Trinidad and Hyatt Regency Tianjin in China.
Old Dec 8, 2009, 9:41 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by peteropny
Yes I agree - but normally companies don't give 20% + discount on selling their GCs.
I've actually never seen GC's sold at Costco with a discount less than 20%.
There are GC's for restaurants, amusement parks, spas, etc. and all had at least a 20% discount.

These are hard times, free cash flow on the balance sheet looks good.
Old Dec 9, 2009, 2:13 pm
sy7

Originally Posted by peteropny
With these kind of numbers ($70,000 face value in certs at one store alone), I really wonder how much Hyatt is getting for each $100 in certs (certainly less than $80 since that is what Costco is chargning) but how much less is the question.
I think Costco states that they only markup their items by 5-8%, so they probably aren't getting an enormous additional discount from Hyatt for these gift certificates.

I actually still have some remaining gift cards from the last promo. Plus, my experience with the gift certificates/gift cards is that they are significantly more hassle to use than simply charging on your credit card. So I'm not sure how much I'd want to stock up on these, though I'd probably still get some if I see these in my local Costco.
Old Dec 9, 2009, 3:03 pm

Programs: UA GM/Hyatt Diamond/SPG Gold/HI Plat/HHonor Gold/Delta GM
Found the actual Hyatt Gift Cards st Costco Schaumburg, IL today. They just got the box containing the certificates. They handed out the certificate with generic white envelope with my purchase. Unlike the Gift Cards purchased from Hyatt.com, these are supposed usable worldwide. Will try to see how acceptable this is at a Summerfield suite this weekend.
Old Dec 9, 2009, 4:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP & AAirpass, Hyatt Courtesy Card, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by 236Dakota
Just purchased $3,000 worth of GCs for $2399.70 (no sales tax).
I just bought $5,100 worth of Hyatt certs. Awesome deal.
Old Dec 9, 2009, 5:22 pm

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
Just picked up some today at the Fresno North location in CA. Plenty left there.
Old Dec 9, 2009, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is a decent deal for Hyatt and sure beats offloading nights on Priceline.
For all practical purposes these will mostly be used on leisure stays (I assume a relatively small percentage of the overall revenue flow) and yet they may attract new clients. Most people I know shop at Costco but very few stay at Hyatts.

The only question is how much to buy... Last december I bought $1K worth of starbucks cards at costco and promptly ran out of them by september. Now regret not buying at least $3K...
Old Dec 9, 2009, 7:08 pm

Programs: Hyatt LIFETIME Globalist
Got some today at Modesto, ca...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.