Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

[GONE] Costco selling Hyatt Check Certificates (Not Applicable to Pre-paid Rates)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[GONE] Costco selling Hyatt Check Certificates (Not Applicable to Pre-paid Rates)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2009, 8:00 pm

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat
I assume these are good in payment of all hotel taxes and gratuities?
Old Dec 7, 2009, 10:15 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime PP ; Hyatt Globalist ; Nexus
Ok. This is what I figured out.
Let's say as a diamond, I spend at least $2500 a year at Hyatt worldwide ( 25 nights) .

With a 5% annual discount rate, 5% - in 1 year; 10.25% - in 2 years; 15.76%- in 3 years

I should buy at least $2500 *3 = $7500 of this and save (NPV):
1st year $500- 2500*5%= $375
2nd year $500-$2500*10.25% = $244
3rd year $500-$2500*15.76%=$106
Total: $725

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I was told that it is a seasonal item for Costco. They have a LOT of gift card selections for the holidays. My local Costco has no plans to reorder when they exhaust current inventory. They had 63 envelopes when I left yesterday. I have no idea if there are other Hyatt afficionados in the neighborhood, but I wouldn't count on them still having the certs in January.

Last edited by jimmychang; Dec 8, 2009 at 6:20 pm
Old Dec 7, 2009, 10:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP 4MM, Piper Dakota, Admirals Club, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Gold, Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by drjazz
Madison Heights, MI has them. Computer said 73 (x2) in stock.
How did you find out the # in stock at a particular store? I keep trying and it doesn't recognize the code.

Thank you
Old Dec 7, 2009, 11:03 pm

Originally Posted by 236Dakota
How did you find out the # in stock at a particular store? I keep trying and it doesn't recognize the code.

Thank you
Costco inventory is not open for public to check, but Costco staff can retrieve the information in their system.

These gift certificates loos like a good investment, but there is a risk of loss, and you cannot register them like say Starbucks cards and get a refund if lost or stolen. Speaking about Starbucks, last year Costco were selling 80$ for 100$ of the latter's gift-cards. It was a seasonal item and this year it's not available. I have regretted not buying more ever since I ran out of them, and we only used them for plain black coffee....
Old Dec 7, 2009, 11:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by J.Edward
Applying the cert at check-in has not been an issue for me at the HP or SS.
At HP and SS hotels I HAVE had a problem applying a gift card at check-in about half the time. The issue seems to be that the sole desk employee does not know how to do the (unnecessarily complicated) telephone procedure. Haven't tried it in a few months, and I expect at some point HP and SS staff will be able to apply a gift card by swiping the card like a credit card, which is how it works at Hyatt Regency hotels
Old Dec 7, 2009, 11:30 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
It seems like everyone here is a Costco member. I am not. Is there any way to get a free short term membership (like BJ's is offering right now)?
Old Dec 8, 2009, 7:57 am

Programs: AS MVPG, Hyatt Discoverist, Hilton Gold
Sales Tax

Are these gift card purchases subject to sales tax? I suppose it depends on the rules for each state. If you lived in a state with a 9.5% sales tax and the gift cards were taxable, you would lose about half of the savings.

In Washington state, they don't tax groceries but they tax other items. Did anyone out there who purchased these Hyatt gift card have to pay sales tax.
Old Dec 8, 2009, 8:05 am

Originally Posted by Jeeves
Are these gift card purchases subject to sales tax? I suppose it depends on the rules for each state. If you lived in a state with a 9.5% sales tax and the gift cards were taxable, you would lose about half of the savings.

In Washington state, they don't tax groceries but they tax other items. Did anyone out there who purchased these Hyatt gift card have to pay sales tax.
No sales tax for California.
Old Dec 8, 2009, 8:17 am

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Originally Posted by imm2b
No sales tax for California.

Is this because if you're charged sales tax when you purchase them, and then you're paying it again (tax is part of what they're covering) when you use them, it would be a double tax hit? (In California, where the sales tax is ~8.5%, depending on the county, that would be.....)

Last edited by Firewind; Dec 8, 2009 at 8:30 am Reason: Clarification, maybe...
Old Dec 8, 2009, 8:27 am

Programs: AS MVPG, Hyatt Discoverist, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Firewind

Is this because if you're charged sales tax when you purchase them, and then you're paying it again (tax is part of what they're covering) when you use them, it would be a double tax hit?
I think you are right. Good point.
Old Dec 8, 2009, 8:42 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by jimmychang
Ok. This is what I figured out.
Let's say as a diamond, I spend at least $2500 a year at Hyatt worldwide ( 25 nights) .

With a 5% annual discount rate, 5% - in 1 year; 10.25% - in 2 years; 15.76%- in 3 years

I should buy at least $2500 *3 = $7500 of this and save (NPV):
1st year $500- 2500*5%= $375
2nd year $500-$2500*10.25% = $244
3rd year $500-$2500*15.76%=$106
Total: $850
Good calculation - you must be in finance.

Originally Posted by LilZeppelin
These gift certificates loos like a good investment, but there is a risk of loss, and you cannot register them like say Starbucks cards and get a refund if lost or stolen.
I agree which is why I'm considering buying perhaps about $2000 worth only. And we also need to keep in mind that we don't know what kind of promotions that Hyatt has coming down the line - like those tied to payment via a particular credit card (AMEX or MC like former FFNs) or bonus points for buying gift cards (like they did a few years ago).

Originally Posted by srodr
It seems like everyone here is a Costco member. I am not. Is there any way to get a free short term membership (like BJ's is offering right now)?
This is probably the biggest hurdle for me since buying a Costco membership is $50 which eats up the savings on $250 of certs.

Also, there is the hassle factor in using these paper certs. I used to use some years ago and it usually created mass confusion at checkout (this was full service properties). I'm willing to bet that HP & SS properties won't have a clue how to work with these. So using these certs can cause checkout to take a lot longer.

OK - I think I've just talked myself out of taking advantage of these certs

Last edited by peteropny; Dec 8, 2009 at 8:47 am
Old Dec 8, 2009, 8:51 am

Does anyone know if the Executive members would earn the 2% rebate on these purchases? If so, consider upgrading if you are making a significant purchase.
Old Dec 8, 2009, 10:21 am

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
To jummychang and others figuring this down to the finest points, keep in mind that in many cases, this won't be 20% off your bill, but $10 off - of the one $50 cert you use - say, on an $80 bill. Conversely, if you use two certs on an $80 bill, you lose the markdown of the last $20, as illustrated above. The certs are still nothing to sneeze at, and I'm headed over to pick up some. Wish I'd seen this before my last MR, in which I tried to use the gift card at the Hyatt Places...

DealDetective, I'm sure it would qualify. It doesn't seem to come in under any exclusion that I am aware of in the Costco scheme.

Peter, I strongly believe you'll find other things at Costco that appeal. I wouldn't go into them for years, not least because I don't need a closetful of toilet paper or 10 lbs of ground chuck etc. - and without going in for that reason, I just assumed their quality had to be bad, too. Then my son turned me on to them, and their quality (their "Kirkland" brand) turns out to be surprisingly good, IMO. To say nothing of the prices even on things that don't require you to buy a houseful. (All this said, brother still won't go into them because they're intimidating and maybe anti-union.)

...not to take this off on an OT tangent, and I'm not a shill for them.
Old Dec 8, 2009, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Originally Posted by peteropny
This is probably the biggest hurdle for me since buying a Costco membership is $50 which eats up the savings on $250 of certs.
You don't actually need a membership.

If someone buys you a Costco gift card, in any amount, you will be allowed in to shop.
Old Dec 8, 2009, 10:35 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by J.Edward
Evening all --

My Costco (greater IAH area) carries the Hyatt GC's and I've used them at SS and HP's -- T&Cs
Thanks for posting T&C's J.Edward^

Very strange, Mount Prospect IL Costco did not have the Hyatt Gift Checks, store mgr looked on his "system" and said that it looks like the Chicago area Costcos are not carrying them.

Got home and placed a call to the Glenview store (less than 10 miles from the Mount Prospect store) and voila, they have them. So I'd suggest if the Costco you normally visit doesn't have them, call other locations.@:-)

--

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.