Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

[GONE] Costco selling Hyatt Check Certificates (Not Applicable to Pre-paid Rates)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[GONE] Costco selling Hyatt Check Certificates (Not Applicable to Pre-paid Rates)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2009, 8:30 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold; IHG Platinum; Insomnia Cookies
The Louisville Costco has the certificates - I got them tonight. I will be happy to use some this weekend in San Diego. Thanks, flyertalk folks!
Old Dec 9, 2009, 9:26 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

I'm always on the lookout for things like this at Costco. Last year we bought the heck out of the $100 Starbucks cards for $80.

I rarely see these deals outside of the December holiday period, so get 'em while they're out there!
Old Dec 9, 2009, 9:28 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jimmychang
Ok. This is what I figured out.
Let's say as a diamond, I spend at least $2500 a year at Hyatt worldwide ( 25 nights) .

With a 5% annual discount rate, 5% - in 1 year; 10.25% - in 2 years; 15.76%- in 3 years

I should buy at least $2500 *3 = $7500 of this and save (NPV):
1st year $500- 2500*5%= $375
2nd year $500-$2500*10.25% = $244
3rd year $500-$2500*15.76%=$106
Total: $725
Originally Posted by peteropny
Good calculation - you must be in finance.
If I were grading Jimmy I'd give him a B for that work.

His calculations assume you receive the benefit in year 1 at the end of the year and each subsequent year one year after that, a more appropriate way to approach it would be that the year 1 benefit occurs throughout the year and for simplicity we'll assume it averages out to six months (we won't try and compound monthly, though I wouldn't penalize someone's grade who wants to), so the sebsequent years would then be one year after that first six month period, so the benefit would be more like $500 - $2500 * 2.5% = $437.50, year 2 being $500 - $2500 * 7.63% = $309.38, and year 3 being $500 - $2500 * 13.01% = $174.84.

Good work none-the-less Jimmy, nothing wrong with a B.
Old Dec 9, 2009, 10:27 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime PP ; Hyatt Globalist ; Nexus
Cool

Thank you for your grading. I thought about averaging the rate by half but again the discount rate is subjective. Also, people already thought I'm in finace which I never want to be in. So I'm happy with a B.

Originally Posted by Beckles
If I were grading Jimmy I'd give him a B for that work.

His calculations assume you receive the benefit in year 1 at the end of the year and each subsequent year one year after that, a more appropriate way to approach it would be that the year 1 benefit occurs throughout the year and for simplicity we'll assume it averages out to six months (we won't try and compound monthly, though I wouldn't penalize someone's grade who wants to), so the sebsequent years would then be one year after that first six month period, so the benefit would be more like $500 - $2500 * 2.5% = $437.50, year 2 being $500 - $2500 * 7.63% = $309.38, and year 3 being $500 - $2500 * 13.01% = $174.84.

Good work none-the-less Jimmy, nothing wrong with a B.
Old Dec 9, 2009, 10:31 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime PP ; Hyatt Globalist ; Nexus
Do you guys think the certs would be good for payment of everything charged to your room? Let's say I ask concierge to buy concert tickets and flowers for me I know it should be good for room charge and incidental like F&B ,movie ,and spa.
Old Dec 10, 2009, 5:45 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, Hyatt Lifetime Glob, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Platinum
Do you guys think the certs would be good for payment of everything charged to your room? Let's say I ask concierge to buy concert tickets and flowers for me I know it should be good for room charge and incidental like F&B ,movie ,and spa.
I am wondering the same thing. It would be a way to save 20% off of incidentals on a reward reservation. Margaritas are expensive in Aruba, I imagine.
Old Dec 10, 2009, 7:22 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

I tend to think not since that payment must be passed on to an entity completely outside of Hyatt. In August at the PH Vendome, we booked a tour out to Versailles through the concierge (directly on the link for activities), we were asked to pay directly to the tour operator. But having said that I'm sure at "some" properties, you would be able to pay for "everything" using these certs.

Originally Posted by CopperSteve
I am wondering the same thing. It would be a way to save 20% off of incidentals on a reward reservation. Margaritas are expensive in Aruba, I imagine.
I'm sure you would be able to use the certs on F&B on an award stay. I'm not sure what the currency is in Aruba but having hotels convert currency is often very expensive (although less than 20% most likely).
Old Dec 10, 2009, 10:23 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

We have used Hyatt certs at various properties and were able to pay for everything we charged to the room, including food, drinks, spa services, and even activities booked through the hotel concierge. Payment with certs only works for items charged to the room, so if you can't charge an activity to the room, then you won't be able to get the 20% discount.
Old Dec 10, 2009, 11:42 am

Can you think of good reasons not to buy / use these?
Old Dec 10, 2009, 12:10 pm

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Originally Posted by best
I would not buy them to use as kindling or for shredder fodder.

But beyond that it's really up to you. Costco affords a generous return policy so even if you don't get around to using all of them, you can still return them for a complete refund.

Not quite sure how you can loose on this one, short of actually loosing the sheets.
Old Dec 10, 2009, 12:44 pm

Programs: HH Dia, Hyatt Plat
How is the cert reflected on the bill?

How are these certs reflected on the final bill? Are they shown as partial payment for the charges or do they just show as a redution in the rate charged?

I'll be traveling for business and need the full room rate to show for the expense reports.
Old Dec 10, 2009, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
They show as a payment against the charges on the bill.
Old Dec 10, 2009, 2:01 pm

Programs: UA IK, HGP Diamond, AA, KF, Hhonnors Gold, Carlson Gold, PC Plat, Accor Gold
Gift Card or Check or ?

Hi All,

I am just wondering if you know whether this certificates is a gift card or a check. It seems based on the link below, Gift card and check can be used on most all Hyatt property in US and Canada. Gift card certificate does not seems to be widely available in ASIA PACIFIC property.

https://www.certificates.hyatt.com/w...lidhotels.aspx

If any of you have the certificates handy, can you help to check?

Thanks
Old Dec 10, 2009, 2:34 pm

Programs: Platinum: Delta, Starwood, Priority Club. Hyatt-Diamond, TA
Yes:
1. You never stay at a Hyatt
2. You have no money!

Originally Posted by best
Old Dec 10, 2009, 2:34 pm

Programs: UA1k3.00mm;AAex-EXP;Hy Glob;Acc Plt;HH Dia;Onyx Plt;Mar LT Tit;IHG DiAm;RR P;RRA G;BW D;Hcom G
They are checks.

Be careful abroad to ask about the exchange rate used before you use them at check-out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.