Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

[GONE] Costco selling Hyatt Check Certificates (Not Applicable to Pre-paid Rates)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[GONE] Costco selling Hyatt Check Certificates (Not Applicable to Pre-paid Rates)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2009, 10:44 am

Programs: Hyatt Courtesy Card, CO Gold, Hertz President's Circle, Amex Centurion and its perks...
Originally Posted by jimmychang
Ok. This is what I figured out.
Let's say as a diamond, I spend at least $2500 a year at Hyatt worldwide ( 25 nights) .

With a 5% annual discount rate, 5% - in 1 year; 10.25% - in 2 years; 15.76%- in 3 years

I should buy at least $2500 *3 = $7500 of this and save (NPV):
1st year $500- 2500*5%= $375
2nd year $500-$2500*10.25% = $244
3rd year $500-$2500*15.76%=$106
Total: $850
For us non finance people, could you please explain your logic as I and two colleagues cannot figure it out!

Thanks.
Old Dec 8, 2009, 11:45 am

Programs: AS MVPG, Hyatt Discoverist, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by bas5838
For us non finance people, could you please explain your logic as I and two colleagues cannot figure it out!

Thanks.
I wouldn't worry about it too much. It has to do with the time value of money and alternative investment returns. Just buy the gift cards if you feel the savings are worth the upfront costs.
Old Dec 8, 2009, 11:58 am

Ok. This is what I figured out.
Let's say as a diamond, I spend at least $2500 a year at Hyatt worldwide ( 25 nights) .

With a 5% annual discount rate, 5% - in 1 year; 10.25% - in 2 years; 15.76%- in 3 years

I should buy at least $2500 *3 = $7500 of this and save (NPV):
1st year $500- 2500*5%= $375
2nd year $500-$2500*10.25% = $244
3rd year $500-$2500*15.76%=$106
Total: $850
Originally Posted by bas5838

Thanks.
What he is saying is you can save $500 a year (20% off of $2500). But because you buy $7500 dollars worth of certificates today, you have to subtract out the time value of money (or opportunity cost).

So the "true" savings is $850, based on his assumptions. Hope this helps
Old Dec 8, 2009, 12:12 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime PP ; Hyatt Globalist ; Nexus
Well, if it's a $80 bill, you may just considering having some incidnetal charges. In my case, the bill is usually a few hundred dollars. Besides, since it's transferable, you can also pay for others or even trade at CC.

Originally Posted by Firewind
To jummychang and others figuring this down to the finest points, keep in mind that in many cases, this won't be 20% off your bill, but $10 off - of the one $50 cert you use - say, on an $80 bill. Conversely, if you use two certs on an $80 bill, you lose the markdown of the last $20, as illustrated above. The certs are still nothing to sneeze at, and I'm headed over to pick up some. Wish I'd seen this before my last MR, in which I tried to use the gift card at the Hyatt Places...
Old Dec 8, 2009, 1:41 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, Hyatt Lifetime Glob, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Platinum
I didn't see Caribbean properties on the list. Am I missing something? I have a reward reservation planned in Aruba and could use 20% savings on meals and other charges (which, I assume, the certificates could be used for).

Edit: I see that Bridgewater, NJ has the certificates. Nice!
Old Dec 8, 2009, 2:20 pm

Smile

Originally Posted by Firewind
To jummychang
Peter, I strongly believe you'll find other things at Costco that appeal. I wouldn't go into them for years, not least because I don't need a closetful of toilet paper or 10 lbs of ground chuck etc. - and without going in for that reason, I just assumed their quality had to be bad, too. Then my son turned me on to them, and their quality (their "Kirkland" brand) turns out to be surprisingly good, IMO. To say nothing of the prices even on things that don't require you to buy a houseful. (All this said, brother still won't go into them because they're intimidating and maybe anti-union.)

...not to take this off on an OT tangent, and I'm not a shill for them.
Just to clarify, Costco is not anti-union. Quite the opposite, they are known as one of the most worker friendly retailers. They pay good wages, and their employees get health insurance. They have by far the lowest rate of employee turnover in the industry.

Part of the reason for this is their CEO, Jim Sinegal is model for ethical business practices. Costco is highly profitable, but they have been criticized by some analysts for paying their employees too much. I guess some analysts feel that if Costco paid Walmart style wages, they could be even more profitable. Sinegal, in addition to noting that treating his employees well is the right thing to do, has also noted that dividends of having a happy workforce ultimately has very positive effects on the bottom line.

http://www.fastcompany.com/magazine/...e-big-box.html
Old Dec 8, 2009, 2:46 pm

Just bought all the stock they have in my local Costco ( 19 of those but 150 on order).
2 findings: 1. NO SALES TAX ( I'm in WA, the tax would be 9.5%) 2. It's eligible for 2% Costco Executive rebate ( Executive is only $50 more than the standard one)

What a deal!

Originally Posted by Jeeves
I think you are right. Good point.
Old Dec 8, 2009, 3:38 pm

Programs: DL Silver, HH Gold, PC Plat, Marriott Silver
Just bought all the stock they have in my local Costco ( 19 of those but 150 on order).
2 findings: 1. NO SALES TAX ( I'm in WA, the tax would be 9.5%) 2. It's eligible for 2% Costco Executive rebate ( Executive is only $50 more than the standard one)

What a deal!
There really should never be sales tax on a gift card purchase. You are not buying a tangible good or a service that is taxable.

Great point on the 2% Executive rebate sweetens the pot even more!
Old Dec 8, 2009, 4:23 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, AA Lifetime ExecPlat, LH HON Circle, SQ PPS Solitaire, Hyatt Courtesy Card
Bought $5,000 last night at Costco in Novato, Ca and they had plenty more on hand.

Great thread, many thanks. ^
Old Dec 8, 2009, 4:38 pm

When I called the Costco in San Francisco (10th St). They had 700 of these in stock.
Old Dec 8, 2009, 5:01 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by imm2b
When I called the Costco in San Francisco (10th St). They had 700 of these in stock.
With these kind of numbers ($70,000 face value in certs at one store alone), I really wonder how much Hyatt is getting for each $100 in certs (certainly less than $80 since that is what Costco is chargning) but how much less is the question.
Old Dec 8, 2009, 5:39 pm

My Costco membership expired last week. I told my wife we should not renew as they only take Amex and we should concentrate on using our new BA Chase Visa cards (from Miles Buzz). I say we will buy shopping cards with our Visa at Walmart and use them at Sam's Club instead of going to Costco. First 2K on hers now and then in January all on mine so we could hit the 30K for a free (+taxes and fees) companion ticket thanks to my company letting me use my personal CC for business travel.

So today I read this thread and have two business stays at Hyatt's later this week. The savings will pay for my Costco membership. I call the local Costco (Castleton, IN). They say they have 50 in stock. I have to give them the stock number at the checkout as they don't have the display up yet. I purchased five and told them not to put up the display as I will be back to buy some more!

Used my Starwood Amex.Thanks Flyertalk.
Old Dec 8, 2009, 5:55 pm

It's more a way for them to generate cash or to hit an year end sales goal.

Originally Posted by peteropny
With these kind of numbers ($70,000 face value in certs at one store alone), I really wonder how much Hyatt is getting for each $100 in certs (certainly less than $80 since that is what Costco is chargning) but how much less is the question.
Old Dec 8, 2009, 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by CopperSteve
I didn't see Caribbean properties on the list. Am I missing something?
It's because Caribbean is listed between California and Colorado
Old Dec 8, 2009, 5:58 pm

Programs: AA mm, Hilton Dime, Hyatt Xpl.& PC Plat, Miracle Fruit-su club
Let the games begin...

OK, Who is going to buy AMEX gift cards with their shiny new BA Visa to buy Hyatt gift cards at Costco? Seems a certain Points Wizard blogged about an offer on Nov. 16, and they're offering 2-day air for $5.95. Time to transfer some credit line over?

And they say this game isn't as fun as it used to be? (at least until the Visa bill comes due).

P.S. Good thing my Wife is the only one in my family who got the BA Visa.

Last edited by jumpdogjump; Dec 8, 2009 at 6:29 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.