Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

[GONE] Costco selling Hyatt Check Certificates (Not Applicable to Pre-paid Rates)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[GONE] Costco selling Hyatt Check Certificates (Not Applicable to Pre-paid Rates)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2009, 11:05 pm

Programs: Amex Centurion
Originally Posted by Firewind
But "spending" them earns points, no?
Yes "spending" them does earn points for the recipient. Not if you are giving them as is usually the intent. It seems with this kind of promotion it is encouraging buyers to save 20% on their purchases which is great for the buyer wanting to save 20%. From a marketing perspective it seems a little weak that Hyatt is just giving away 20% to 30% to gift buyers who in most cases are redeeming the certs on purchases they were going to make anyway. Most companies issue certs with the understanding that many cards/certs are never redeemed. That's why for the "true" gift card buyer giving points (to the buyer) makes more sense from a marketing perspective.
Old Dec 7, 2009, 12:23 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist
Thanks for your post S-Man. I was just at Costco tonight, then came home and am now reading your info. Will have to go back now. Besides saving 20% kind of amusing that we can also get *Wood, Hilton, etc. points for the purchase by using our Amex cards.
Old Dec 7, 2009, 1:06 am

Programs: AA-UA-AS IHG-SPG-Carlson
Costco has such a friendly return policy on most products,
some electronics being one obvious exception.

Are these $80 packs returnable?
That would be nice "flexibility".

Costco might take back unopened packs,
even if Hyatt T&C says no refund on unused portion, etc.

Also, what expiration dates are purchasers finding printed on the cards?
Thanks in advance.

Last edited by MrHalliday; Dec 7, 2009 at 7:21 am Reason: spelling
Old Dec 7, 2009, 6:34 am

Programs: Affiliated with all, participate in some
Planning to ramp up my Hyatt stays over next 8 weeks. These cards will certainly be a nice savings to go with all the bonuses.
Old Dec 7, 2009, 6:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Originally Posted by mnmag
That's what I thought! They are available here at the Costcos here in NJ!^
Which one(s)?
Old Dec 7, 2009, 7:12 am

Programs: AA LT Plat (AA 2mm +), Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold; Hilton Gold
Purchasing with Amex Business Cards (Open Network)?

Originally Posted by Steph58
Thanks for your post S-Man. I was just at Costco tonight, then came home and am now reading your info. Will have to go back now. Besides saving 20% kind of amusing that we can also get *Wood, Hilton, etc. points for the purchase by using our Amex cards.
Would you still get the Hyatt 3% discount for using an Amex Business Card?

Thanks!
Bob
Old Dec 7, 2009, 8:02 am

Originally Posted by Kaanapali
Would you still get the Hyatt 3% discount for using an Amex Business Card?

Thanks!
Bob

A great ? that I was just about 2 ask!
Old Dec 7, 2009, 8:48 am

I was just informed by a CSR w/ "gift cards" that u receive no discount 4 using ur bus. card.
Old Dec 7, 2009, 9:16 am

Programs: UA GS, Avis CHM, Marriott & SPG & PC Plat., Hyatt & Hilton Diamond
Anyone have good answers to these questions:

1. Can I use multiple gift cards for a stay?
2. Do I need to use full value, or just say $20 and use the rest later?
3. Is there an underlying Credit Card? Marriott's gift cards are processed as VISA.
Old Dec 7, 2009, 9:25 am

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
1. Can I use multiple gift cards for a stay?

Yes.

2. Do I need to use full value, or just say $20 and use the rest later?

There is no residual value.

3. Is there an underlying Credit Card? Marriott's gift cards are processed as VISA.

No, they're paper certificates.

Full T&Cs
Old Dec 7, 2009, 10:20 am

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Does anyone have the costco item number from their receipt?
Thanks!
Old Dec 7, 2009, 10:22 am

It's Costco item 485271 and is advertised among "new items". In costco store locator, select a store and a page with new items comes up. Lincoln Park Store in Chicago still have not heard of them.

If paid for business stays, these cards would not be processed any other way than regular cards presumably.
Old Dec 7, 2009, 10:25 am

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by LilZeppelin
It's Costco item 485271 and is advertised among "new items". In costco store locator, select a store and a page with new items comes up. Lincoln Park Store in Chicago still have not heard of them.

If paid for business stays, these cards would not be processed any other way than regular cards presumably.
That's awesome, thanks!
Old Dec 7, 2009, 10:29 am

Programs: US2, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by LilZeppelin
Weird - at my Costco they show up under "Sporting Goods"... well I suppose finding the best deal is somewhat of a sport, but still...
Old Dec 7, 2009, 10:33 am

If you are buying a slew of these (as I did) make sure you take the time to go through each envelope and make sure there are two $50 certificates in each envelope. The Costco supervisors are usually pretty good about doing this, but since you are going to leave with a bunch of envelopes, it is wise to take the time to methodically check them all. That $20% discount will disappear pretty quickly if you get shortchanged.

I discovered these on Friday night at the Dedham, MA location, and bought a stack - first time I saw the check-out register flashing "verify customer signature".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.