Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

[GONE] Costco selling Hyatt Check Certificates (Not Applicable to Pre-paid Rates)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[GONE] Costco selling Hyatt Check Certificates (Not Applicable to Pre-paid Rates)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2011, 12:45 pm
pdb

Originally Posted by Robt760
Unfortunately, I 'lost' 2 of these certificates due to my own misfortune. It was a good deal, but a lost certificate is definitely to the favor of the company selling them. I'm sure Hyatt knows this and dare I say 10% or so of sales will be lost or never used?
If you kept a record of the serial numbers, I would think that you should be able to get replacements from the Hyatt Fulfillment Center.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Unfortunately, I 'lost' 2 of these certificates due to my own misfortune. It was a good deal, but a lost certificate is definitely to the favor of the company selling them. I'm sure Hyatt knows this and dare I say 10% or so of sales will be lost or never used?
Sorry to hear that, but I think you are sol.

From Hyatt T&C:
.... The Hyatt Check Certificate is not replaceable if lost, destroyed or stolen......
They are processed like cash in most properties. Some enter serial numbers into your folio, some don't. Companies take breakage into account when accounting for costs of selling GCs.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 9:05 pm

A member of my family lost $350 worth of the certs. It was misplaced and never found.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
If you lose cash, do you expect the US Treasury to replace it? I think not.

You saved at least 10% on these. I'd guess Hyatt gave up 20-25% of the face value, so I'm sure breakage was built into it.

I had hundreds of these and lost exactly 0 of them.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 10:01 pm

Programs: Various
As a follow up....I didn't intend for my post to draw any sympathy for my error. I was mostly stating that it works (well) to the advantage of the company that sells certificates for whatever the percentage of lost/misplaced/never used gift certificates and cards are. I don't expect them to be replaced...I lost them, so it's my loss.

Not sure if 'breakage' is the right word, as I believe that refers to spoiled, broken, or stolen merchandise; which is NOT to the benefit of the company. A lost/misplaced/never used gift certificate certainly IS to the benefit of the company.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 10:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

...Not sure if 'breakage' is the right word, as I believe that refers to spoiled, broken, or stolen merchandise; which is NOT to the benefit of the company. A lost/misplaced/never used gift certificate certainly IS to the benefit of the company.
I was just following standard accounting term.@:-)

For example:
GIFT CARD BREAKAGE
The apparently material percentage of gift card value that goes unused creates additional accounting complications.
http://www.journalofaccountancy.com/...rgiftcards.htm

Income derived from unused giftcards are usually listed under Breakage Income.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 9:57 am
pdb

Originally Posted by TerryK
Sorry to hear that, but I think you are sol.

From Hyatt T&C:

They are processed like cash in most properties. Some enter serial numbers into your folio, some don't. Companies take breakage into account when accounting for costs of selling GCs.
Thanks for that clarification.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 11:45 am

Programs: Platinum: Delta, Starwood, Priority Club. Hyatt-Diamond, TA
BUMP!
Any news if Costco will return the certs?
Old Sep 21, 2012, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Hyatt had said it was a marketing promotion that they had not decided to return.

I suspect it won't come back. They did it when they were about to go public.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 12:59 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Originally Posted by drjazz
BUMP!
Any news if Costco will return the certs?
Or if you meant this another way - Costco says they will accept returns on everything that they've sold. But if you're thinking of doing that there are probably many here who would be glad to meet you over in the Coupon Connection forum.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 1:14 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

I'll lock this thread. Should the Hyatt certs return to Costco in the future (with a discount), feel free to start a new thread on the subject.

peteropny - co-mod - Hyatt

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.