Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

[GONE] Costco selling Hyatt Check Certificates (Not Applicable to Pre-paid Rates)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[GONE] Costco selling Hyatt Check Certificates (Not Applicable to Pre-paid Rates)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2009, 2:39 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime PP ; Hyatt Globalist ; Nexus
"Outside of the United States, the total charges will be reduced by converting the USD value of the Hyatt Check Certificate into local currency according to the daily foreign exchange board rate. "

I assume this means whatever the bank rate is not the one the hotel is selling at.

Originally Posted by kevino
They are checks.

Be careful abroad to ask about the exchange rate used before you use them at check-out.
Old Dec 10, 2009, 3:12 pm

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Originally Posted by jowo
If any of you have the certificates handy, can you help to check?
It's a check.
Old Dec 10, 2009, 3:55 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
Can these be used to pay for pre-paid rates or only for rates where you pay at check out? I ask, because my local Hyatts have pretty decent weekend rates (prepaid) and any discount these cards give would be lost by the BAR. I'd love to get an additional discount off the prepaid rate though...
Old Dec 10, 2009, 4:43 pm

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by stephem
Can these be used to pay for pre-paid rates or only for rates where you pay at check out? I ask, because my local Hyatts have pretty decent weekend rates (prepaid) and any discount these cards give would be lost by the BAR. I'd love to get an additional discount off the prepaid rate though...
I'm gonna find out tonight and this weekend. Just last night we booked a long weekend's worth of mattress runs, all pre-paid. Today, on my own, I saw the GC's at Costco, and was like 'grrrrr'. So I bought a bunch, and will try to switch the payment on our pre-paid room from a CC to these.

And I can confirm -- Arvada and Sheridan, CO, have them. In fact, they have a huge rack of them. But considering that I only brought one cardboard flyer to the front, yet bought 7, I wonder what happens when they run out of certs, but still have the flyers out on the floor? I can imagine some unhappy folks.
Old Dec 10, 2009, 4:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP 4MM, Piper Dakota, Admirals Club, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Gold, Wyndham Diamond
Per the T&C's on the back of the check, "Not valid.... for advance purchased packages"

But who knows, YMMV.
Old Dec 10, 2009, 10:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 236Dakota
Per the T&C's on the back of the check, "Not valid.... for advance purchased packages"

But who knows, YMMV.
I think "packages" are not meant as prepaid rates but rather some third party arrangements.

I just had a refund posted to my cc after paying with GC at check out on a prepaid rate.
12/07/2009 Mon HYATT HOTELS -51.84
Old Dec 10, 2009, 10:55 pm

Programs: UA1k3.00mm;AAex-EXP;Hy Glob;Acc Plt;HH Dia;Onyx Plt;Mar LT Tit;IHG DiAm;RR P;RRA G;BW D;Hcom G
Originally Posted by jimmychang
"Outside of the United States, the total charges will be reduced by converting the USD value of the Hyatt Check Certificate into local currency according to the daily foreign exchange board rate. "

I assume this means whatever the bank rate is not the one the hotel is selling at.
Jimmy, that would be great if it's true. ^^ Thanks for pointing out it says that on the back of the checks.
Old Dec 11, 2009, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
I picked up a bunch of these last night. The 3 Costcos in my area each have around 100 packages in stock.

Will be nice to get a 20% discount on my stays, etc. - particularly for the spa charges
Old Dec 11, 2009, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by jimmychang

The way I read that is the Hotel cashier's foreign exchange board... Does anyone have experience using these certificates overseas and shed some light? Thanks!
Old Dec 11, 2009, 10:04 am

Programs: WN A+/CP, UA1K, AA PP; Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, SPG Plat; National EE
Austin Costco - None left

I called the South Austin location yesterday around 5 pm and they had 48 in stock. Went at 8 pm to buy - out of stock. Someone just beat me
Called North Austin this morning, out of stock too.
So sad, b/c I had a MR this weekend. Oh well, the stores both have some more on order, so maybe next time.
Old Dec 11, 2009, 10:57 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by honey4life12
I called the South Austin location yesterday around 5 pm and they had 48 in stock. Went at 8 pm to buy - out of stock. Someone just beat me
Called North Austin this morning, out of stock too.
So sad, b/c I had a MR this weekend. Oh well, the stores both have some more on order, so maybe next time.
I was at North Austin last night around 8, out of stock until 12/16...they said South Austin had 40 some at that time....and I was about to go drive down there - glad to see this post before I left!
Old Dec 11, 2009, 11:35 am

Programs: AA-UA-AS IHG-SPG-Carlson
Originally Posted by gooseman13
I was at North Austin last night around 8, out of stock until 12/16...!
It wasn't me buying them !

I stayed home and worked on my five qualifying purchases
for US Airways shopping promotion.
A number of people are laying down $7K++ on that one.
edit: now its $10K++
edit: $15K

What is the largest purchase anyone has made of these Hyatt cards?
I saw $5100 posted so far...

Last edited by MrHalliday; Dec 11, 2009 at 12:49 pm
Old Dec 11, 2009, 2:49 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Hyatt Discoverist, Hilton Gold
I just bought $1,800 of gift checks. It will cover most of my known personal travel for next year.

I didn't buy any for my business travel - seems kind of unethical to pocket the savings for client expenses. Nor do I want to go through the hassle of saving the client 20%.

I went to the Aurora Village Costco, north of Seattle. They didn't have any out on display. I asked one of the managers and he said they had just received 500 packets that morning. He was surprised they hadn't sold any yet. He finally figured out it was because they weren't on display.

He wrote down the product number and said the cashier could ring me up that way. I overhead a woman buying a couple Hyatt packets at the adjacent cashier. Perhaps a Flyertalker.
Old Dec 11, 2009, 4:45 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
When is 20% 20%, and when is it not?

With all great respect for the careful financial analyses and conclusions above, this is not a straight "20%-off" coupon. The savings are nothing to sneeze at, but...

And I know I'm repeating myself.
Old Dec 11, 2009, 5:10 pm

Programs: AA mm, Hilton Dime, Hyatt Xpl.& PC Plat, Miracle Fruit-su club
Diamond line transferred me to the Gift Check/card/cert/etc. center - they told me prepaid rates like LTO wouldn't qualify. Not sure how you could do it, anyway.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.