Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton London Tower Bridge {GBR}

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2018, 4:21 pm

Programs: hhonors diamond
Originally Posted by TomMM
My last stay was in a non-executive room and it had bathrobes.
​​​​​​​ok...cheers...handy to know.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 4:13 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond
stay report summary July 2018

A quick one night stay at the TB Hilton.
I am a Diamond.

The good:
1) pre-stay email received, to which I replied when I had seen that I had been assigned a family room - saying that I'd much prefer a room that wasn't full with beds. Received a response that the room had been altered (I received an Exec room). Having noted that I may arrive before check-in time, I was proactively texted at 1130 that my room was ready for my arrival - good service!
- recently refurbished like all rooms, it was a good room.
- they still have proper newspapers, which combined with a tea from the exec lounge make for a couple of enjoyable hours on their roof terrace - this really being the reason why I like coming back here

The not so good:
- Shower leaking as often in this hotel though, and cold water from the tab was more of a trickle
- no (!) room service after 11pm I was informed, and the food at the bar coming from Jamie Oliver's (before 11pm) was really average and uninspiring. Not enjoyable.
- Gin Tonic served in a huge fish ball glass drowned in ice, making it a very watery affair.
- the self-service coffee machines for breakfast in Jamie Oliver's need replacing, they look dirty, scratched, and have clearly been used more often than what they had been designed for
- I find the public areas, whether bar, exec lounge or restaurant all a couple if degrees too chilly
- there was forgotten food in the minibar. When housekeeping knocked during the day and asked if everything was fine with my room, I mentioned this, and she simply said she cannot do minibars and disappeared. No follow-up action initiated - the food remained.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 4:47 am

Programs: Hilton Honors diamond
Thanks for your report, very informative. I'm often tempted to stay there, but never do mainly because of Jamie's and the hygiene there, cleaning the coffee machine really is a pet hate in many hotels ( The Waldorf springs to mind ). Leaving left over food in the minibar is quite unexceptable. I had that in Conrad St James once, but at least the cheese and milk was swiftly removed when I mentioned this.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 1:57 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, HH Diamond, Radisson Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold, Shangri La Jade
this is why i get deliveroo rather than hotel room service!
Old Jul 14, 2018, 3:59 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond
I already hate that housekeeping is often outsourced at effectively below minimum wage - but I have strong views on not supporting companies that work with "self-employed" workers and deny having any responsibility for them. Plus delivery drivers (cyclists) tend to break most traffic rules (starting with having no lights in the pitch black) where I live, which is another reason I cannot supprt that model ;p

Enough OT - for the Hilton TB my vote is strongly for Jamie Oliver's being replaced by an in-house solution that works.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 11:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just finished a 3 night stay and noticed that the bath towels have RFID tags.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 1:44 am

Originally Posted by TomMM
Just finished a 3 night stay and noticed that the bath towels have RFID tags.
I think it's being rolled out to all properties. I've noticed it in three or four different properties in the last month or so.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 5:35 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, HH Diamond, Radisson Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold, Shangri La Jade
Originally Posted by treppenlaeufer
I already hate that housekeeping is often outsourced at effectively below minimum wage - but I have strong views on not supporting companies that work with "self-employed" workers and deny having any responsibility for them. Plus delivery drivers (cyclists) tend to break most traffic rules (starting with having no lights in the pitch black) where I live, which is another reason I cannot supprt that model ;p

Enough OT - for the Hilton TB my vote is strongly for Jamie Oliver's being replaced by an in-house solution that works.
the workers still need to eat though and haven't called for a boycott. give them a big tip and donate to their union fund.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 2:37 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club refugee: BA-Br; HH-D
Back again this weekend

I can see there's a bit of lukewarm emotion to Hilton TB - well maybe more cool than lukewarm, actually...
... but I continue to like this place a lot.

Back here over this weekend and very pleased with:
usual upgrade to an exec room
online checkin allowed me to snaffle a room on floor 9 - near the lounge
Usual good sweet afternoon tea with cream scones and two cakes (no sandwiches anymore)
Great evening canapés - tonight had 'fishfinger' and roast potato, veg pasta, samosas and the usual crudités, bread, cheeses, and a few topped crostini-type things...
Good selection of drinks
Very pleasant and helpful staff.

I sensed a bit of Jamie's-hating in recent posts too - but I'm not ashamed to say that I'm looking forward to breakfast there in the morning. Damn fine omelettes. I am less bothered by the state of the coffee machines and more bothered by the queue to get at them - they make very good coffee there, though ... unusually, this is one hotel that does better coffee in the restaurant than in the lounge!
Old Sep 14, 2018, 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by diamond club freeloader
I can see there's a bit of lukewarm emotion to Hilton TB - well maybe more cool than lukewarm, actually...
... but I continue to like this place a lot.

Back here over this weekend and very pleased with:
usual upgrade to an exec room
online checkin allowed me to snaffle a room on floor 9 - near the lounge
Usual good sweet afternoon tea with cream scones and two cakes (no sandwiches anymore)
Great evening canapés - tonight had 'fishfinger' and roast potato, veg pasta, samosas and the usual crudités, bread, cheeses, and a few topped crostini-type things...
Good selection of drinks
Very pleasant and helpful staff.

I sensed a bit of Jamie's-hating in recent posts too - but I'm not ashamed to say that I'm looking forward to breakfast there in the morning. Damn fine omelettes. I am less bothered by the state of the coffee machines and more bothered by the queue to get at them - they make very good coffee there, though ... unusually, this is one hotel that does better coffee in the restaurant than in the lounge!
Glad you are enjoying your stay, I like it there too although I prefer Bankside...... Jamie's is great for breakfast, last ime I stayed the granola was very similar to Bankside and the breakfast itself was one of the best I've ever had at a Hilton .....if only it had a spa it would be perfect.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 10:41 am

Originally Posted by wizla
Glad you are enjoying your stay, I like it there too although I prefer Bankside...... Jamie's is great for breakfast, last ime I stayed the granola was very similar to Bankside and the breakfast itself was one of the best I've ever had at a Hilton .....if only it had a spa it would be perfect.
Yes - had great breakfast at Jamie's this morning. The granola this morning was actually very different from Bankside, perhaps it has changed since you were last here, wizla - decent quality but not the honey-nutty joy of Bankside!

Perhaps I think of this place so fondly because I only ever stay at weekends, when rates are very reasonable. It is easier to become dissatisfied when paying >£300. But overall I really like the property and the area - and the lounge is a particularly good one too.

Last edited by diamond club freeloader; Sep 15, 2018 at 4:00 pm
Old Sep 15, 2018, 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by diamond club freeloader
Yes - had great breakfast at Jamie's this morning. The granola this morning was actually very different from Bankside, perhaps it has changed since you were last here, wizla - decent quality but not the honey-nutty joy of Bankside!

Perhaps I think of this place so fondly because I only ever stay at weekends, when rates are very reasonable. It is easier to become dissatisfied when paying >£300. But overall I really like the property and the area - and the lounge is a particularly good one to.
Thinking back, it's actually been about three years since I actually stayed here, I've popped in for a coffee a few times recently ( ish ) , your post has stirred something inside me to give it another go if that makes sense......it reminds me of Hilton Canary Wharf somewhat but without the rowdy lounge......gotta find an excuse to stay ....... I have a provisional gig to do in Brixton on the 5th October , might be worth a look.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 9:22 am

Programs: AC50k, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Club
I recently spent 10 nights in this hotel, all in all a great stay. Ate at Jamie‘s several nights, the food was consistently great. Very good breakfast selection also in Jamie's including a custom egg station. For those guests with executive lounge access, Jamie's is a far better option. The views of the Shard, and of the City, from the executive lounge are great. I found all of the staff, both in the restaurant and in the hotel proper, very friendly, and they made me feel very welcome. Housekeeping was spotless. I did find the bed a bit worn out and not as supportive as I would like.

Convenient to transit, Borough Market is 5 minutes away, the City is a 10 minutes walk across London Bridge, and a great view of Tower Bridge is a couple of minutes walk.

And yes, the granola at Bankside is better. But I found what Jamie's was offering very decent.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 9:30 am

I've changed a booking from Bankside to here for early November, does anyone remember they have jack Daniels whisky during happy hour in the lounge....many thanks.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 2:21 pm

I can't give you a definitive answer here wizla since I don't pay attention to this, as a non-drinker. I dug out a shot of the drinks selection that I took a few years ago - based on which the answer is 'no' ... but this may not reflect the current situation. Hopefully somebody will be able to give you a more up-to-date answer.

I think the bankside switch is not a bad one if it suits in terms of price/location. I definitely like bankside, but the evening food in the lounge and breakfast in Jamie's are strengths in TB. Plus (very) early check-in is often easily obtained at TB which can also be handy.

Last edited by diamond club freeloader; Oct 16, 2018 at 2:30 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.