Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton London Tower Bridge {GBR}

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2014, 7:26 am

Originally Posted by turtlemichael
We are thinking of a 6 night point stay at this hotel. At just about any hotel in the chain there will be no upgrade on a lengthy stay and that is fine. However, I'm concerned that I'll end up in a smaller room in a smaller than king bed. Does this hotel treat their Diamond reward stayers well and has anybody had experience of the sort of room allocated on a reward stay?
The front desk crew at this hotel have varied experience levels and there is a lack of consistency in their approach to treating high tier loyalty guests.

Case in point: one previous check-in (as a Diamond) I was told I had been upgraded to “access” to the Exec Lounge and ”free internet”, but no room upgrade to the Exec Floor was possible. My assigned room was on a low floor facing the ‘scintillating’ view of the offices of a top four consulting firm. The room had no bath in the bathroom.

I returned to the desk and requested to speak with the DM and explained to him some basic facts about the HHonors’ program, specifically, that I regarded access to the EL and free internet as an entitlement as per my Hilton status and not an “upgrade”, as the check-in clerk had indicated and that the room I had been assigned was of poor inventory quality. The result, was my room assignment was changed to a room with a bath and shower.

The DM apologised for the lack of experience of the FD clerk who checked me in in the first instance.

I learned from that experience with that hotel and now make contact with the FOM before check-in advising of my room preference, ie, any other view rather than looking at the workstations and to ensure I am assigned a room with a bath, regardless of whether I am located on the Exec Floor.

This approach has not failed in subsequent check-ins. I also suggest that when you arrive at the hotel you check-in on the ninth floor EL as those staff are usually better trained than some on the FD, especially if you are an early arrival.

However, despite these glitches, I really rate the hotel. Its location, close to Bermondsey Street, for great food and wine options, transport and general amenities, plus excellent housekeeping and a solid b/fast at “The Larder”, it’s hard to beat. I also believe the standard of F&B in the Larder and EL has improved over the past 12 months and while that continues I will keep returning.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 7:28 am

Programs: BMI Diamond Club refugee: BA-Br; HH-D
Originally Posted by BotB
... it is a great location for other sites in London, has a good lounge and as a diamond, free breakfast in the restaurant which is very good with lots of options for order items.

Still remains my personal top choice in London, nothing outstanding, however, everything better than average with no negatives (as a diamond) ...

I would echo BotB's comments here. A consistently well-performing hotel with a great lounge a stone's throw from London Bridge station. I always choose to stay there when their rates are within my range!
Old Jul 23, 2014, 8:46 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH D, Rad VIP, Marriott G
Originally Posted by OnTheCentreline
The front desk crew at this hotel have varied experience levels and there is a lack of consistency in their approach to treating high tier loyalty guests.
This is actually a good point...I would recommend ONLY checking in at the lounge as a Diamond, you will get better service there.

My experiences with the front desk staff has always been good but I realise that I may have just been lucky...lately I just go to the lounge and check in there where the service is better and you can have a drink while you wait.

HTH.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I completed another stay here this week. The location as many have noted is very convenient for both business visitors as well as for leisure stays.

Public Transport wise you are close to many of the hubs of London which is excellent if you need to move around.

The hotel is well maintained, the rooms are quiet, the service is good, and the lounge staff are conscientious and helpful.

I agree with other posters on this thread that the breakfast is good- note if you are booking here that often the bed and breakfast rates are good value so do check those out.

As a gold member I was able to login to multiple devices at the same time with no costs charged which is a good value as I think Internet is quite pricey here otherwise. FWIW I did also receive an upgrade to the executive floor on this stay although on the last stay I did not. I imagine the upgrades to the executive floor are tied to how many guests have booked this- it seems quite popular and people do pay the extra or have an inclusion in their company rates.

The bar had good staff although I think there beer selection is a bit weak- no microbrews at all which is a bit of shame in London.

Nearby you have the Borough Market area which has a good number of restaurants, pubs, etc in every budget range- I am a regular visitor to Feng Sushi, Brew Wharf, and then also if you want something more "meaty" the Black & Blue provides good quality meat and service. The hotel also highly recommends Gauchos which is just a couple of blocks away in the other direction.

My opinion is that the price/value ratio of this hotel remains good and the service has improved- this is a solid 4 star option with a very good location in central london. Note the area is somewhat corporate- although that may well be why you are staying there anyway.

On a final note- I did use split cards for payments as I had a charge from the bar which I do not charge to my company accounts- the split was no problem at all and was correctly recorded.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 1:54 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Accor Plat, Pucci Fan Club
Hi,
Tried searching but can't seem to find the answer... What time are the evening drinks served in the exec lounge?

Thanks
Old Oct 17, 2014, 3:10 pm

Programs: HH Diamond BA Blue
1800-2100
Old Oct 19, 2014, 2:42 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Accor Plat, Pucci Fan Club
Thanks Russ.

Really like this hotel. Lovely location. Very friendly and engaged staff. Lounge was nice. Room was good (1210).

Similar to Canary Wharf in style i thought.

We sat outside for evening drinks in the lounge.. Very warm for mid October. Beautiful views of the London skyline.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 5:23 am

Programs: HH Diamond BA Blue
Your welcome Oxtail Soup
I must admit I really enjoy this hotel. It is my favourite London property
Old Oct 31, 2014, 8:58 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond
Fun game!

For the next few hours I accept guesses at what the new afternoon tea option looks like at Hilton Tower Bridge Executive Lounge, a hotel that I today specifically chose for the combination of sunny terrace and sandwich/scone.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 10:25 am

Programs: HHonors (Diamond), SPG, Marriott Rewards, ALoyalty, Club Carlson, M&M
What is it? I didn't see anything a few minutes ago.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 10:44 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Unfortunately correct. Afternoon tea has been replaced by a jar of biscuits and cereal bars.
The fridges also radically emptied - the beers have disappeared, as have most other drinks except coke, diet coke, Schweppes lemonade, Schweppes Tonic, jars of orange and apple juice, as well as big bottles of water.

I was really looking forward to this previously excellent afternoon tea option, which I normally made use of (whilst in the evenings I am normally away for dinner). It was fun, there was great choice, and it was enjoyable and felt luxurious. Excitement is now truly over.

Unfortunately Tower Bridge and Hilton have dropped considerably in my personal perception, now that even top properties are starting to behave like any other average Hilton.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 1:08 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, Hilton LT Diamond, AA LT Platinum
Originally Posted by treppenlaeufer
Unfortunately correct. Afternoon tea has been replaced by a jar of biscuits and cereal bars.
The fridges also radically emptied - the beers have disappeared, as have most other drinks except coke, diet coke, Schweppes lemonade, Schweppes Tonic, jars of orange and apple juice, as well as big bottles of water.

I was really looking forward to this previously excellent afternoon tea option, which I normally made use of (whilst in the evenings I am normally away for dinner). It was fun, there was great choice, and it was enjoyable and felt luxurious. Excitement is now truly over.

Unfortunately Tower Bridge and Hilton have dropped considerably in my personal perception, now that even top properties are starting to behave like any other average Hilton.

I am shocked by your description. Could it just be an one-off occurrence? Did you ask if this is the new afternoon tea they will offer from now on?
Old Nov 1, 2014, 2:28 am

Programs: hhonors diamond
Originally Posted by HookEm
I am shocked by your description. Could it just be an one-off occurrence? Did you ask if this is the new afternoon tea they will offer from now on?
Surely a " one- off"?....... That sounds horrendous !
Old Nov 1, 2014, 7:18 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

No one off. New service offer, see their little letter... pay attention to middle section ; 12.00-18.00 "Snacks"

And this is the sad scene during afternoon tea hours now...

Staff I spoke to suggested that I am not the first one to comment on this enhancement... they are logging all feedback. However, unless bookings and sell-ups to Exec level are affected not much will revert back (as was the case at Birmingham Metropole a while ago, when there was a storm of protest and people voting with their feet - I understand the Hilton Canary Wharf also returned to offering full afternoon tea).

I mean look at these sad fridges... not a very "executive" luxurious feel to it! certainly no excitement.

Last edited by treppenlaeufer; Nov 1, 2014 at 9:10 am
Old Nov 1, 2014, 5:15 pm

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Absolutely no need to pennypinch like this now, or any other London (or major city) hotel, unlike 12months ago when the recession had yet to lift.

Since 12months ago, Hilton-TB room rates have really firmed up, especially since April , ++25-50% or more per night for rooms , no cheap weekends here for me, as no more £99 pr13cb's, more like £170/night at weekends, and higher occupany rates too.

I will not stay here again until lounge service, which I advocated as being one of best for offerings for London Hilton is reinstated.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.