Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2019, 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by pinniped
I forget if I asked this question years ago, so apologies if it's a dupe or simply a known thing to the regulars in this thread. I'm getting close to a booking a trip for a Feb 2020 travel date.

Is this Conrad considered the best hotel in the world to book a guaranteed overwater bungalow using a sane amount of hotel points, possibly with a sane amount of cash to upgrade? (By "sane", I'm accepting 95k for the base overwater villa plus the upgrade rates posted here if I want something better.)

I have plenty of Hilton and Marriott points to cover a 5-night stay. This is kind of a bucket list thing that will be part of a broader Asia trip, but being in the Maldives specifically isn't a requirement.

The Marriott options seem to be Garden Villas with *huge* upgrade premiums (thousands of dollars over 5 nights) to get to an overwater villa. The W=A option looks like it will cost 4x as many points.
If you book 4 nights on points, you get the 5th night free. I booked a water villa at Conrad for 5 nights for 380k points (Sept '19). I asked for upgrade to superior water villa which was confirmed for around $100 per night. Lucky to be able to book accommodations with points as I'm expecting to spend a few thousand dollars on food, bev, transfers, & excursions.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 1:15 pm

Well, you've got Bora Bora and Rangali. Having never been to Bora Bora I can't compare OWVs but AFAIK I don't think their base room is OW. The Conrad is the best deal IMO. There are a couple of folks here who have been to both but the only one I can remember who has posted in this thread in the last few years was upgraded to the Presidential OW suite in Bora Bora so that's hardly a comparison of base OWVs.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 1:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
Well, you've got Bora Bora and Rangali. Having never been to Bora Bora I can't compare OWVs but AFAIK I don't think their base room is OW. The Conrad is the best deal IMO. There are a couple of folks here who have been to both but the only one I can remember who has posted in this thread in the last few years was upgraded to the Presidential OW suite in Bora Bora so that's hardly a comparison of base OWVs.
Bora Bora has everything as a premium room award - even garden villas. The lowest overwater category is 400k points/night!!

Looks like this property is my best bet. As a bonus, getting there in CX J looks do-able with as much advance booking as I'm looking at.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by elpee1979
If you book 4 nights on points, you get the 5th night free. I booked a water villa at Conrad for 5 nights for 380k points (Sept '19). I asked for upgrade to superior water villa which was confirmed for around $100 per night. Lucky to be able to book accommodations with points as I'm expecting to spend a few thousand dollars on food, bev, transfers, & excursions.
as you should this is not a destination for the cheap of wallet unless you want to be counting every penny when there and if that is your motivation there are far better places in the Hilton Network for you starting perhaps with the Conrad Samui.

Personally I could never stay at tne Rangali again after staying at the St Regis Vomuuli.

The Conrad rooms are just too small and basic compared to the better competition. Last time I stayed at Rangali I spent circa $12000 on upgrades and incidentals and this is poor value given the room quality for all the positives at Rangali.

I just now expect more of a Maldives Holiday accommodation than the Conrad is capable of supplying at anything like a worthwhile rate.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 2:44 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, BAEC
Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles

as you should this is not a destination for the cheap of wallet unless you want to be counting every penny when there and if that is your motivation there are far better places in the Hilton Network for you starting perhaps with the Conrad Samui.

Personally I could never stay at tne Rangali again after staying at the St Regis Vomuuli.

The Conrad rooms are just too small and basic compared to the better competition. Last time I stayed at Rangali I spent circa $12000 on upgrades and incidentals and this is poor value given the room quality for all the positives at Rangali.

I just now expect more of a Maldives Holiday accommodation than the Conrad is capable of supplying at anything like a worthwhile rate.
I don’t understand though how you can compare the SR to the CR. I just checked the rates for the SR and they are double the price of a DBV ....

edit: scrap that, I wasn’t including taxes when I looked at the SR. The SR 1 bed OW villa is triple the price of a DBV
Old Feb 12, 2019, 3:23 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles

To be clear, I know this isn't a cheap place. I'm aware of how much it costs just to get from MLE to this hotel as well as the fact that it's expensive once you are there. In a world without points at all, I doubt these places would even be on my list. But if points can cover $6000-7000 in room costs, then this is possible.

Just out or curiosity, what did you spend your $12k on? I assume some of that was excursions and such...were they good? Worth it in your opinion?

Originally Posted by pineapple_09
I don’t understand though how you can compare the SR to the CR. I just checked the rates for the SR and they are double the price of a DBV ....

edit: scrap that, I wasn’t including taxes when I looked at the SR. The SR 1 bed OW villa is triple the price of a DBV
I've seen several comments here and on other sites about how the St. Regis Vomuuli is one of the best hotels in the world. I totally believe that. It's getting acclaim that I usually see only for Four Seasons and other really private small luxury hotels. But it hasn't loaded its availability out past August and probably won't until Marriott Category 8 goes online. The cash prices for the OWV's there are definitely out of my price range. (I think by the time I got into that league, I'd just charter my own yacht for a week. )
Old Feb 12, 2019, 4:50 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
Is this Conrad considered the best hotel in the world to book a guaranteed overwater bungalow using a sane amount of hotel points, possibly with a sane amount of cash to upgrade? (By "sane", I'm accepting 95k for the base overwater villa plus the upgrade rates posted here if I want something better.)

I have plenty of Hilton and Marriott points to cover a 5-night stay. This is kind of a bucket list thing that will be part of a broader Asia trip, but being in the Maldives specifically isn't a requirement.
Now that the standard WV are on the standard award, this Conrad is the best and easiest way to guarantee an entry level OWV experience. Yes guests can add another $50-$150 per night and get into an upgraded [S/D/R/F/P]WV. That said, there are much better OWV elsewhere (such as using Marriott points for the St Regis Volumni) but using a sensible amount of points OR finding availability is going to be the hardest part.

Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
Yes there is also Bora Bora but standard rooms are Garden Suites, but from there it is a three room category jump before you get to any OWV. My review of the Conrad BB can be found here
Old Feb 12, 2019, 5:29 pm

Programs: delta, american, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by guy_listening
Would arriving at 3:15 PM from Doha give enough time to make the same day seaplane transfer? I know the wiki says guests with arriving flights until 4:00 PM, but it would be too close with bags, customs, etc.?
I would think so. We just arrived yesterday. Our Emirates flight was delayed due to rain (!) in Dubai. We arrived in Male at 320 and our seaplane departed at 545.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by alanslegal
Now that the standard WV are on the standard award, this Conrad is the best and easiest way to guarantee an entry level OWV experience. Yes guests can add another $50-$150 per night and get into an upgraded [S/D/R/F/P]WV. That said, there are much better OWV elsewhere (such as using Marriott points for the St Regis Volumni) but using a sensible amount of points OR finding availability is going to be the hardest part.
What specifically is it that make the St. Regis OWV's so much better? Just the service level from StR, the physical villas themselves, or the serenity of the atoll and natural surroundings?

I still think the St. Regis is probably out for me because I wouldn't be able to book it for several months after I'd need to have my flights in place. (Even if I can actually get the OWV with some huge number of Marriott points.) I like the fact that I can get the Conrad booked 1 year in advance and then book CX flights 30 days later, knowing that if I have to move it a day one way or the other I probably can. By the time StR opens up for booking, those CX J seats are probably long gone.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 3:08 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
What specifically is it that make the St. Regis OWV's so much better? Just the service level from StR, the physical villas themselves, or the serenity of the atoll and natural surroundings?

I still think the St. Regis is probably out for me because I wouldn't be able to book it for several months after I'd need to have my flights in place. (Even if I can actually get the OWV with some huge number of Marriott points.) I like the fact that I can get the Conrad booked 1 year in advance and then book CX flights 30 days later, knowing that if I have to move it a day one way or the other I probably can. By the time StR opens up for booking, those CX J seats are probably long gone.
I've never done the Maldives, but I'm booked up for November this year. 5 nights at the Conrad, and 3 nights at the new WA. If reviews of the WA aren't stellar by then, I have enough Marriott points to switch to the St Regis, or I may pay cash somewhere else.

For me, the Conrad is attractive for a number of reasons - Firstly, it costs around £1k a night for an OW villa at a 5* resort in the Maldives, so points save me £5k straight off the bat. Secondly, the snorkelling gets incredible reviews because of the location and the maturity of the reef around island - that's a big part of why I want to be there. Third, I'm not bothered about having a super luxury room - I'm there to be over the ocean and have the tranquillity that comes with that. I don't need mink curtains and a butler to tuck me in at night. A roof over my head if it rains and a comfortable bed is pretty much my entire list of requirements when I've got the ocean underneath me (BTW I understand the people who want absolute luxury at this price point and thus the Conrad doesn't meet their standard, but that's why these other resorts exist, because we're all different. I hate resorts that 'fuss', with butlers and people trying to polish my sunglasses on the beach. Other people love that stuff.).

So for me the Conrad has always been on my list. And being Diamond and having the free breakfast and afternoon snacks and stuff should mean I don't have to spend a fortune whilst I'm there (though obviously I'm aware it's not Eurocamp, either).

I get why some people may consider it a little 'rustic' - but for me that's exactly what I want.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 6:21 am

Agree. For somewhere like Conrad Koh Samui if the room is substandard or outdated I'd be much more concerned. Obviously it has to be in good nick and everything working. In the Maldives we go there to stare at the gradation of the colours of the lagoon and ocean, swim and snorkel, eat quality food, stare at the ocean some more when we eat, walk around the beaches, walk the paths - both night and day - that weave through the islands and admire the natural beauty of the whole place.....then stare at the lagoon some more from an infinity pool, take a jetski for a spin, then eat more great food. Then repeat. For us the room is 10, maybe 20%. When we go to CKS the room is 70, 80%. And hey, call me old fashioned but I'm the only one that cleans my sunglasses..... Furthermore I don't want a slave nor servant to attend to my every need. Makes me feel uncomfortable to be treated like a King.

Last edited by MaldivesFreak; Feb 13, 2019 at 6:34 am
Old Feb 13, 2019, 7:21 am

Programs: M&M SEN (*G), HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Wozza2404
I hate resorts that 'fuss', with butlers and people trying to polish my sunglasses on the beach. Other people love that stuff.)
But they do polish your sunglasses (at the pool) at Rangali!
Old Feb 13, 2019, 7:23 am

In addition to what others have said... I'm not a frequent traveler so have no status for any programs. The fact that I could sign up for a Hilton credit card and instantly get Gold status which gets me free breakfast is amazing. So between the points and free breakfast, it makes a trip like the Maldives possible for someone like me who couldn't normally afford literally anywhere else in the Maldives. I have Marriott points, but availability at the STR is slim, and I'd also be paying for breakfast each morning. And, I'd rather burn my Hilton points at the Conrad and save my Marriott points for plenty of other locations where Hilton doesn't have hotels.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 7:35 am

Originally Posted by goliath
But they do polish your sunglasses (at the pool) at Rangali!
Never had the offer, LOL. They must be sticking pins in my doll at TQZ as well, LOL.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 7:41 am

Programs: M&M SEN (*G), HH Diamond
We probably spent much more time at the (main) pool than any other guests at the time, so we got this service all the time. They do come by multiple times a day, even with a special solution that is flown in from "overseas".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.