Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2018, 4:27 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Majuki
I have to echo this. I gave a higher gratuity to our host than I would typically give the concierge or bellhop at the desk upon check-in. Aside from running into the host once or twice, he didn't make an appearance until our time of departure. I don't know if one typically works through the host to book meals, etc., but we had made reservations for all of our meals prior to arriving at the resort.
Our 7 night stay we booked everything via our host; most of the times he would try and contact us and if we weren't available, there would have been a short letter in my mail box to make sure everything was OK and if there was anything we needed/wanted, he was able to assist. For such a large resort we bumped into him several times and he always knew where we have dined and always sought our feedback to make sure we were enjoying ourselves.

Regardless of whether you booked your restaurants; there is time in moment feedback, there are other tours and activities your host can suggest and/or encourage you to go on, and generally to make sure everything is going well during your stay.

We didn't tip at check-in, nor at check-out, but coming from a non-tipping culture country (Australia) and more importantly for me anyway, the expectation that staying at this higher end resort, the type of service we received should be expected automatically - irrespective of any tipping or gifting.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 5:00 am

Programs: OW Emerald - HH Diamond
I say hi to the host - good to see you again - and I'll see you when I leave. Don't need him/her and, subsequently, I don't tip. And I'm sure she appreciated the oil, but did you expect she'd say the gift sucked?
Old Dec 5, 2018, 8:55 am

Programs: Delta, Hilton Honors, SPG, Marriott, Hyatt
Hello,

Currently at the property for an 8 night stay. We're wrapping up our 2 night stay in a Water Villa and will be moving to a beach villa for the rest of the stay. I have a couple of confusions here. One is just an observation and the other is an actual confusion. I was told at quick in by our host that THIS particular island is 1 hr ahead of every other island. My mind immediately jumped to them using that as an excuse to get people out of their rooms before the actual check out time. I didn't really care when i was told.
Now, my biggest confusion... We were told that we've have to check out of our room at 11am tomorrow. Check out time on Conrad's website says 12PM. In essence, they're making us check out 1hr before the stated check out time and 2 hrs before the official time in MALČ. This is not an issue NOW, but will become an issue when it's time to leave this place.
Our flight is at 6:30ish PM. If the property insist we check out before the stated check out time on their website, how does one handle that? Also, host scheduled our seaplane for 3:45pm which is actually 2:45pm in MALČ. That won't make much sense because they're asking people to check out earlier than they're supposed to (to my knowledge) and booking seaplane spots for times well after check out.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 9:16 am

Originally Posted by brodielayne
.....have seen far too often where people think they know what staff would appreciate, only to come up incredibly short.
Yes, I imagine there would be that happening. People don't think as much as they used to.

Originally Posted by brodielayne
Now if you are a return guest, having spent some time to get to know the staff, I'm sure a personal gift outside of cash would go a long way. However, for the random traveler one must keep it simple
Our experiences have been to the contrary. Linda we had never met before. The look on her face when she opened the bottle, scooped out and ate some chili in front of us was priceless. You don't have to meet someone beforehand for them to be elated someone they had never met had thought of something that they couldn't get anywhere else except for thousands of miles away, were eager to try and that they thought was awesome. Later I learned that she finished off the whole 1kg bottle in a few days. Not having known that people from that part of the world often eat chili like Nutella I felt bad for not bringing more. Keeping things too simple gets appreciated for what it (the cash) can buy, but for an emotional creature like a human being it doesn't go nearly as far as when thought, effort and often inconvenience has been put into the gift. Then again, if you're tipping a native of the Amazon rainforest you aren't exactly going to get raves for giving them rechargeable batteries no matter the quality or cost nor how far you have brought them to their mud hut.

Last edited by MaldivesFreak; Dec 5, 2018 at 12:11 pm
Old Dec 5, 2018, 9:27 am

Originally Posted by Membersince2013
Hello,

Currently at the property for an 8 night stay. We're wrapping up our 2 night stay in a Water Villa and will be moving to a beach villa for the rest of the stay. I have a couple of confusions here. One is just an observation and the other is an actual confusion. I was told at quick in by our host that THIS particular island is 1 hr ahead of every other island. My mind immediately jumped to them using that as an excuse to get people out of their rooms before the actual check out time. I didn't really care when i was told.
Now, my biggest confusion... We were told that we've have to check out of our room at 11am tomorrow. Check out time on Conrad's website says 12PM. In essence, they're making us check out 1hr before the stated check out time and 2 hrs before the official time in MALČ. This is not an issue NOW, but will become an issue when it's time to leave this place.
Our flight is at 6:30ish PM. If the property insist we check out before the stated check out time on their website, how does one handle that? Also, host scheduled our seaplane for 3:45pm which is actually 2:45pm in MALČ. That won't make much sense because they're asking people to check out earlier than they're supposed to (to my knowledge) and booking seaplane spots for times well after check out.
Relax. When you leave they will never ask you to check out before 12 noon unless your seaplane is a morning or early afternoon flight then you will need to check out based on your seaplane departure time (which is not controlled by the resort). They need time to check your room for items, minibar etc, do checkout formalitiles and the seaplane operator asks that guests be ready at least 60 (or possibly 90) minutes before scheduled departure.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
Relax. When you leave they will never ask you to check out before 12 noon unless your seaplane is a morning or early afternoon flight then you will need to check out based on your seaplane departure time (which is not controlled by the resort). They need time to check your room for items, minibar etc, do checkout formalitiles and the seaplane operator asks that guests be ready at least 60 (or possibly 90) minutes before scheduled departure.
Thanks for your reply! I was getting worried that we'd have to spend 3+ hrs waiting at the airport.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 10:00 am
soy

Programs: various
Hello,

The time zone thing is not some sort of scam to get you out of your room early, actually they are quite good about that.

Just speak to your host. Worst case you have to check out at 12 Rangali time and end up having to use the fitness center showers to change/freshen up before getting on the seaplane.
FYI - The airline decide when you leave, not your host
Old Dec 5, 2018, 10:48 am

Originally Posted by soy
The time zone thing is not some sort of scam to get you out of your room early, actually they are quite good about that.

Just speak to your host. Worst case you have to check out at 12 Rangali time and end up having to use the fitness center showers to change/freshen up before getting on the seaplane.
FYI - The airline decide when you leave, not your host
Sorry, im from NY. My mind works like that. Now im more fixated on the taxation. It seems outrageous! Romance spa for $520 has turned into $640. I'll be calling in the morning. Would call now because im most likely going to be up all night here and sleep almost all day but they're probably gone for the day.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 10:58 am

Programs: SAS Eurobonus Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Sorry, im from NY. My mind works like that. Now im more fixated on the taxation. It seems outrageous! Romance spa for $520 has turned into $640. I'll be calling in the morning. Would call now because im most likely going to be up all night here and sleep almost all day but they're probably gone for the day.
All prices quoted are ”++”, which means that service charge and GST are added to the original price. This adds up to roughly 23%. Please have a look at the excellent wiki for further details.

Last edited by Dachshund; Dec 5, 2018 at 11:01 am Reason: spelling
Old Dec 5, 2018, 11:01 am

Much appreciated! i'll take a look.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 12:10 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by alanslegal
Our 7 night stay we booked everything via our host; most of the times he would try and contact us and if we weren't available, there would have been a short letter in my mail box to make sure everything was OK and if there was anything we needed/wanted, he was able to assist. For such a large resort we bumped into him several times and he always knew where we have dined and always sought our feedback to make sure we were enjoying ourselves.

Regardless of whether you booked your restaurants; there is time in moment feedback, there are other tours and activities your host can suggest and/or encourage you to go on, and generally to make sure everything is going well during your stay.

We didn't tip at check-in, nor at check-out, but coming from a non-tipping culture country (Australia) and more importantly for me anyway, the expectation that staying at this higher end resort, the type of service we received should be expected automatically - irrespective of any tipping or gifting.
We received no acknowledgement from our host during our stay other than the couple of random encounters we'd have near the main reception or seaplane terminal during the day. In fact, our one "special" request of having a set of the stuffed animals was almost jokingly dismissed. After reiterating the seriousness of my request we received two, saying they were out of stock of the others. (I did spot others during the stay there, however.) Other Conrad properties have proactively offered the iconic stuffed animal or gladly provided one upon request. As I had mentioned before, we booked all of the dinners in advance. The only additional activity I did there was the Jetblade, which I booked directly with the desk by the pool. Our host briefly resurfaced upon checkout time to tell us the arrangements of our departure but then left us with another colleague.

If we were to return, I doubt we'd tip outside of the housekeeping service.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 12:31 pm
soy

There is no give with the taxation so calling up is not going to change anything.
Its approx 10% tax and 10% service charge. Look on the brightside you do not have to tip here - as a American you would likely have to tip 15-20% if doing this in the US (and sales tax would be added also). Also if this was in the US, there would also be an obscene resort charge just to gouge you a little more
Old Dec 5, 2018, 12:41 pm
soy

Not sure I have seen this in the thread and I certainly did not know about it before my recent visit, but they offer a complimentary 30min pro photo shoot that you pre-book. There are 6-7 slots every day and it seems a great way to get top class photos to mark your visit.
I believe they will take 100+ photos at various locations around the resort. Once done, you get to pick 5 to keep. You pay for any beyond that. Think someone said it was +$10 for additional, with some sort of deal as you want more. There is an option to get the full set for $150 and it seems most people go for this. Its run out of the Dive Center.

I don't have more specifics as I did not find out about it until 2days before we left so could not get a booking. Would definitely have done it had I known earlier.

Was this always on offer, or is it new?
Old Dec 5, 2018, 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by Abidjan
I say hi to the host - good to see you again - and I'll see you when I leave. Don't need him/her and, subsequently, I don't tip. And I'm sure she appreciated the oil, but did you expect she'd say the gift sucked?
I don't even bother with a host anymore. On our last few visits I've asked for one not to be assigned, not because they aren't good but after spending a lot of time getting to know Rangali before our first visit - and booking everything beforehand - I figure they could use the resources elsewhere. I just call reception if I need anything.

Originally Posted by Splotly
I would say that most people find the venues on the island are where they’ll choose to spend their evenings - all 3 bars are excellent - so I suspect you might find you spend less time actually in the villa together than you may imagine.
+1

Currently at the property for an 8 night stay. We're wrapping up our 2 night stay in a Water Villa and will be moving to a beach villa for the rest of the stay.
Always wanted to catch someone doing villas in this order and ask them after their stay whether they thought water villa first then beach villa second would be their preference next time round.....or would they do beach villa first then water villa second. Could you do me a small favour and post back after your stay and tell me what you think. Cheers and enjoy the rest of your stay! I'm sure it'll be perfect!
Old Dec 5, 2018, 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by soy
Not sure I have seen this in the thread and I certainly did not know about it before my recent visit, but they offer a complimentary 30min pro photo shoot that you pre-book. There are 6-7 slots every day and it seems a great way to get top class photos to mark your visit.
I believe they will take 100+ photos at various locations around the resort. Once done, you get to pick 5 to keep. You pay for any beyond that. Think someone said it was +$10 for additional, with some sort of deal as you want more. There is an option to get the full set for $150 and it seems most people go for this. Its run out of the Dive Center.

I don't have more specifics as I did not find out about it until 2days before we left so could not get a booking. Would definitely have done it had I known earlier.

Was this always on offer, or is it new?
I've never heard of it being free. Maybe manneca, tom-schmitt, goliath and other multiple repeaters can pitch in here.
But it's certainly being used of late as there are a few mentions over on the TA reviews.

FEI, the photographer's name is Ismail.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.