Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2018, 7:34 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by onlysuites
My suggestion is from personal experience when my flight got delayed by an hour and we missed the last sea plane out. Only option was to wait around till 11pm for a Domestic flight to a nearby island and then a 45min transfer via a boat to Conrad in the middle of the night.

When I was waiting at the airport from 4pm till 11pm I tried my best to figure out a quicker and better way of getting there but there wasn't and the airplane and boat transfer ended up costing almost the same as a 45min sea plane.

Feel free to figure out a way to get to local islands and then to Conrad. Just saying that you won't save much with all the hassle that you will go through. Also what guarantee will you have that a local boat will pick you up from Conrad on the way back. What if they don't? You miss your flight from Male?

The kids are half price anyway for a sea plane. Take pot noodles and skip a couple of meals. That will save you more or less what you will save on the sea plane and trust me you will have a much easier stay.
What time was your plane supposed to arrive and what carrier were you on? Thanks for the info since we are scheduled to arrive at 2 PM on Etihad.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 9:56 pm

Originally Posted by konaflyer
@brodielayne. Thanks so much for the info the guests arriving on international flight until16.00 can get on the seaplane. I much prefer to go straight to th Conrad Maldives. MaldivesFreak had responded to my initial post by telling me to overnight in MLE. I don't know if he was just thinking of the most efficient way to go by getting there very early. I'd prefer to get there in the late afternoon and start my Maldives vacation especially because I have 7 days. Which carrier did you fy in on and what time did you arrive. One hour from airplane seat to the seaplane terminal seems amazing and the fruits of good karma.
I came in on Silkair in J and arrived at 11:50. We departed the seaplane terminal for Rangali a bit after 14:00.

@brodielayne. I forgot to ask if you had checked bags or just carryon?
We both had checked bags, which needed to go thru the x-ray machine prior to exiting the terminal. Carry on baggage was x-rayed as soon as you entered the terminal, prior to hitting baggage claim.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 10:12 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat Amb
What is the going price to upgrade to DWV form WV? I will be there for 7 days. I don't imagine that upgrades for Diamonds is the norm, and I'd like to guarantee the better room. MaldivesFreak said in his wiki that with a longer stay like ours one could negotiate the pre-paid upgrade price. Has anyone had any experience with this or just pre-paying for an upgrade. Thanks!
Old Dec 2, 2018, 11:14 pm

Programs: LH Sen, HH Diamond, IC RA
What time was your plane supposed to arrive and what carrier were you on? Thanks for the info since we are scheduled to arrive at 2 PM on Etihad.
The last few times and also on our upcoming stay we arrive with the same Etihad flight at 2pm. Never had a problem to catch a seaplane, even with checked luggage. Our longest wait in the seaplane lounge was 2 hours, so you may arrive at around 5-6pm Rangali time (Male +1h) at the resort.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 11:32 pm

Originally Posted by tom-schmitt

The last few times and also on our upcoming stay we arrive with the same Etihad flight at 2pm. Never had a problem to catch a seaplane, even with checked luggage. Our longest wait in the seaplane lounge was 2 hours, so you may arrive at around 5-6pm Rangali time (Male +1h) at the resort.
Thanks so much for your reply. I feel relaxed now!
Old Dec 2, 2018, 11:42 pm

Originally Posted by alanslegal
And not honor existing reservations; Hilton might have to "walk" me to a comparable resort in the Hilton portfolio such as the Waldorf Astoria (and pay for our transfer) ...... or is that wishful thinking?
LOL. Sounds like a plan. Luckily Hilton (will soon) have 2 more properties to walk us to.

FEI, when Hilton was given notice at Iru Fushi they were only given 24hrs notice but the new owners honoured existing reservations. I don't think any new outfit would cancel all existing reservations. That would be financial suicide. At least temporarily.
From what I read. those holding existing reservations who had not yet arrived at the resort were sent an email and given the choice of cancellation. I don't know how long the period was to confirm or reject / cancel their reservations or even if there was a timeframe. You could probably find out though if you did enough digging on the net. The resort's TA page would be a good place to start. Emailing Hilton USA and asking would probably be the best way to find out what the current procedure would be.

MaldivesFreak had responded to my initial post by telling me to overnight in MLE. I don't know if he was just thinking of the most efficient way to go by getting there very early.
Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
I advise you to overnight in Male, both for peace of mind and to maximize your time at Rangali.
First of all, your flight could easily be delayed an hour and if it was, it would be very touch and go.
You are there for 6N/7D, correct? 7 days will fly by like you wouldn't believe. If you do decide to get to MLE a day early and overnight there, you'll have approximately an extra 8hrs at the resort which works out to half a day of daylight. A bit 50/50, this one. The choice is yours.

One hour from airplane seat to the seaplane terminal seems amazing and the fruits of good karma.
Commonplace in the Maldives. Very small airport.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 11:49 pm

What is the going price to upgrade to DWV form WV? I will be there for 7 days. I don't imagine that upgrades for Diamonds is the norm, and I'd like to guarantee the better room. MaldivesFreak said in his wiki that with a longer stay like ours one could negotiate the pre-paid upgrade price. Has anyone had any experience with this or just pre-paying for an upgrade. Thanks!
When is your stay? Is the timeframe outside what's already mentioned in the wiki?
As far as negotiation goes, there are plenty of folks in this thread who have had success getting a little more off. But as you know. it does depend on a lot of factors though.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 1:18 am

[QUOTE=MaldivesFreak;30492690]
First of all, your flight could easily be delayed an hour and if it was, it would be very touch and go.
You are there for 6N/7D, correct? 7 days will fly by like you wouldn't believe. If you do decide to get to MLE a day early and overnight there, you'll have approximately an extra 8hrs at the resort which works out to half a day of daylight. A bit 50/50, this one. The choice is yours.

I understand your thinking now, MaldivesFreak. You were advising us to arrive in MLE a day earlier. Unfortunately, we can't because we have an amazing stay at Al Maha in the desert outside of Dubai from 2/25- 3/2/19. We planned on taking a taxi to Abu Dhabi after checking out, and the next morning at 8:40 AM taking Etihad to MLE. We are using AA miles to fly biz. I checked and Emirates has a 9:40 flight on 3/2/18 that gets to MLE at 3PM. They don't have anything later. We'd have to check out of Al Maha early & Emirates charges way more miles and taxes. Do you know another routing that could get us from DXB- MLE on 3/2/18? Even if possible, it might be quite a let down from Al Maha to stay in MLE overnight.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 1:24 am

@MaldivesFreak. I forgot to add that our CM stay is from 3/3- 3/10/19 (7 nights). Did the people who negotiated a cheaper upgrade price do it by email or phone? Any idea what would be effective to say? How much off did they get?
Old Dec 3, 2018, 3:29 am

Programs: LH Sen, HH Diamond, IC RA
@konaflyer:
If I were you, I would consider/ask for a very late checkout at Al Maha on 03/02 and would change my flight to EY260 03.03. from AUH to Male at 0:45am, which arrives at 06.10 am in Male.
This will save you an overnight stay in AUH. You will probably get the first seaplane to Rangali.
You can spent some time at nearby Yas Island before your flight.

The only inconvenience , ey260 is an A320( only recliner seats, no flat beds)
Old Dec 3, 2018, 5:27 am
soy

Programs: various
Originally Posted by Majuki
Typically when properties lose their affiliation to a rewards program they will announce the change before the booking window opens for current reservations. At the very least, current reservations are honored.
Agreed, current reservations are almost always honored in these scenarios, however elite benefits are a different story.....
Old Dec 3, 2018, 6:46 am

Originally Posted by soy
Agreed, current reservations are almost always honored in these scenarios, however elite benefits are a different story.....
Losing breakfast, tea, and happy hour would make me reconsider my reservation entirely. Bora Bora looks nice.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 7:41 am

We are booked for July (10th stay there) BUT worried re sale of resort. Would not stay there without earning HH points ....
Old Dec 3, 2018, 8:09 am
soy

Originally Posted by lhrhappy
Losing breakfast, tea, and happy hour would make me reconsider my reservation entirely. Bora Bora looks nice.
Not only that, there is also the points earning aspect. My last 2 visits coincided with a 3x bonus, so as a Diamond I earned 54points per $.
With a value of 0.5cent per HH point that equates to a 25% rebate. Not to be sniffed at when you consider what you wind up spending when visiting Rangali
Old Dec 3, 2018, 8:17 am
soy

Originally Posted by pineapple_09
Thanks so much goliath - they look great! Did they give any idea of when next year they would do the others? Are they doing the renovations from lowest to highest numbering or just random?
I believe they are going clockwise around the island. All the 100's are done and now they are around 223'ish. I expect they take a breather on starting further villa's until after high season

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.