Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2018, 2:36 pm

Programs: M&M SEN (*G), HH Diamond
Originally Posted by aysoo
which brand shower is it? hansgrohe ?
I have no idea.

Originally Posted by itsj0nathan
Are you saying that you could stay at the Hilton, but go visit and eat at Hard Rock?
Take a look at their website:

This unique, enchanting hotel gives you the sanctuary of staying on a private island while shopping, dining, entertainment and event space are just across the footbridge at The Marina @ CROSSROADS
Then have a look at the Crossroads website.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 3:11 pm

How far are water villas from superior/deluxe water villas?

All - was just about to book a family water villa for 3 nights. Family of four, kids are 16/18. I like the location of the family water villas, though a bit put off by single bathroom.

Then realized a) I have a free night cert and b) I'm long points.

Therefore, considering putting the kids in water villa for "free" (cert + points), and booking Mr & Mrs into either Superior or Deluxe water villas.

Now, my kids are fully functional, I'm not worried about safety, we typically book them their own rooms in hotels and don't obsess what floor they're on. However, the point of this holiday is to be together.

So, how much of a haul is it between villas types? Also, would Mr & Mrs villas have enough room that the four of us could relax together in the mornings/evenings between activities?

My kids prefer the independence of their own villa. But I also love the idea of the four of us being in the same villa, though again, the bathroom is an issue.

Thoughts? Mr and Mrs both Diamond so would probably book parent + child /parent + child in the event that helps with perks.

Thanks in advance! - Jamie

Last edited by jamienbaker; Dec 4, 2018 at 3:18 pm
Old Dec 4, 2018, 3:52 pm

Programs: BA OWE, SQ*G, HH Diamond
The staff is so nice and why not bring some presents. It's not for expecting any better treatment it's just humanity culture exchange . And while we have holdiay they are working. I also bring chocolates for cabin crews because I know they love snacking during their private times in the cabin kitchen

Tea and nuts is good idea. We ll travel from the Nordics (Finland ) this time. Might bring some salmiac or liquorice. And tea to flush down the flavour
Old Dec 4, 2018, 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by jamienbaker
Therefore, considering putting the kids in water villa for "free" (cert + points), and booking Mr & Mrs into either Superior or Deluxe water villas.
[...]
So, how much of a haul is it between villas types?
See post #4257 for an accurate map of the individual villas, then head to Google Maps to measure the exact distance. @:-)
Old Dec 4, 2018, 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by goliath
See post #4257 for an accurate map of the individual villas, then head to Google Maps to measure the exact distance. @:-)
Well sure, I COULD do that, but sort of figured somebody kind on this thread could weigh in with. “Oh, yeah, we did that, it was no more than a 5 minute walk. Kids enjoyed their independence, as did parents”.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 4:34 pm

Yeah, it's no more than a 3 to 8 minute walk, depending on the villas you pick.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by goliath
Yeah, it's no more than a 3 to 8 minute walk, depending on the villas you pick.
Thank you. Still haven’t decided. FWVs appear as they have both sunset AND sunrise views. Really torn about all this.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 6:19 pm

This unique, enchanting hotel gives you the sanctuary of staying on a private island while shopping, dining, entertainment and event space are just across the footbridge at The Marina @ CROSSROADS
i.e. Fly halfway around the world to the nearly literal middle of nowhere and be accosted by tourists blinded by the search for the perfect handbag.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 7:32 pm

As far as gifts for staff, nothing will ever resonate more than cash. Take all the above mentioned, add in some cash, and ask the staff to make their choice. Cash will always win out by a large margin. As travelers we are different, and some of us are searching for some culture to bring home to help us appreciate and recall our great vacation.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 10:48 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by brodielayne
As far as gifts for staff, nothing will ever resonate more than cash. Take all the above mentioned, add in some cash, and ask the staff to make their choice. Cash will always win out by a large margin. As travelers we are different, and some of us are searching for some culture to bring home to help us appreciate and recall our great vacation.
Serious but true - some person reported on this forum that they gave their host a wad of cash upon arrival (you know that "rule/notion/premise/cultural expectation" that you tip in advance and it pays for great service moving forward) ..... 10 or so days later, that host was never seen in the past 240 hours HA HA HA HA HA
Old Dec 4, 2018, 11:23 pm

Originally Posted by brodielayne
As far as gifts for staff, nothing will ever resonate more than cash. Take all the above mentioned, add in some cash, and ask the staff to make their choice. Cash will always win out by a large margin.
Don't fool yourself. Maybe in a big city and maybe to Westerners / Americans (who value the almighty dollar above everything else), yes. But in a place like the Maldives and to the locals your statement couldn't be further from the truth. As an example, the old pastry chef Linda who was South American absolutely loved the huge bottle of chili I gave her (which she wouldn't have been able to get anywhere else in the world except in the small city from which it came) and words that came from her mouth were to the effect of "There's nothing better you could have given me!". In a place where staff work in the middle of nowhere, have to keep out of sight for the sake of the guests, work long shifts and hardly ever get a holiday but earn a very decent wage and where cash is not the be all and end all, we saw plenty of the above.

Last edited by MaldivesFreak; Dec 4, 2018 at 11:58 pm
Old Dec 4, 2018, 11:34 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by alanslegal
10 or so days later, that host was never seen in the past 240 hours
I have to echo this. I gave a higher gratuity to our host than I would typically give the concierge or bellhop at the desk upon check-in. Aside from running into the host once or twice, he didn't make an appearance until our time of departure. I don't know if one typically works through the host to book meals, etc., but we had made reservations for all of our meals prior to arriving at the resort.

Our room boy on the other hand hustled and practically waited outside our villa every morning. We always returned to a clean room after breakfast. It was fantastic.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 11:51 pm

The whole tipping culture (tipping with cash) ultimately makes the money is everything mindset worse and worse. There's zero thought involved. I spent a few days thinking about and going out and buying the gifts I took that particular time. Not to mention wrapping some of them and carrying the 45x45x45cm box I packed them in 4000km. People appreciate the thought and time taken. That is priceless.

Last edited by MaldivesFreak; Dec 5, 2018 at 12:28 am
Old Dec 5, 2018, 12:25 am

Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
Don't fool yourself. Maybe in a big city and maybe to Westerners / Americans (who value the almighty dollar above everything else), yes. But in a place like the Maldives and to the locals your statement couldn't be further from the truth. As an example, the old pastry chef Linda who was South American absolutely loved the huge bottle of chili I gave her (which she wouldn't have been able to get anywhere else in the world except in the small city from which it came) and words that came from her mouth were to the effect of "There's nothing better you could have given me!". In a place where staff work in the middle of nowhere, have to keep out of sight for the sake of the guests, work long shifts and hardly ever get a holiday but earn a very decent wage and where cash is not the be all and end all, we saw plenty of the above.
I'm not fooling myself, I assure you. I am well traveled and have seen far too often where people think they know what staff would appreciate, only to come up incredibly short. Now if you are a return guest, having spent some time to get to know the staff, I'm sure a personal gift outside of cash would go a long way. However, for the random traveler one must keep it simple.

"Maybe in a big city and maybe to Westerners / Americans (who value the almighty dollar above everything else), "
That comment is even more broad brushed than my cash recommendation.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 1:23 am

Programs: BA GGL; Virgin Gold; HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by jamienbaker
All - was just about to book a family water villa for 3 nights. Family of four, kids are 16/18. I like the location of the family water villas, though a bit put off by single bathroom.

Then realized a) I have a free night cert and b) I'm long points.

Now, my kids are fully functional, I'm not worried about safety, we typically book them their own rooms in hotels and don't obsess what floor they're on. However, the point of this holiday is to be together.

So, how much of a haul is it between villas types? Also, would Mr & Mrs villas have enough room that the four of us could relax together in the mornings/evenings between activities?

My kids prefer the independence of their own villa. But I also love the idea of the four of us being in the same villa, though again, the bathroom is an issue.

Thoughts? Mr and Mrs both Diamond so would probably book parent + child /parent + child in the event that helps with perks.

Thanks in advance! - Jamie
The SWV/DWV are no distance at all from the WV - a few hundred yards. Close enough that if the kids tell you it’s too far then they simply don’t like you! (The end DWV to the furthest WV is maybe 5 minutes, but I’d imagine, as they know you’re together, they’re highly likely find 2 that are fairly close - closest you could get might be less than 100 yards. However some of the SWV nearest the WV are close to the spa which means the view and privacy isn’t as good as the others.). If you’re going in the months that are lower prices/occupancy then there’s a very good chance they’ll simply upgrade your kids from a WV to a SWV next to you, which maybe you’ll want or prefer not.

The decks outside in the WV/DWV/SWV will seat 4 in the evening without any problem but won’t be roomy with 4. You’ll struggle to be inside the villa together though as there’s no really the seating inside for 4.

The FWV have more room for you all on the deck outside and to some extent inside too. The bathroom is in the middle of them (between the 2 bedrooms) and is effectively completely open plan with glass.

As you’ve realised from you question I think - the FWV are quite a way from the WV, enough that you’d have to make an effort to go between them.

I would say that most people find the venues on the island are where they’ll choose to spend their evenings - all 3 bars are excellent - so I suspect you might find you spend less time actually in the villa together than you may imagine.

The Sunset water villas are pricey in peak periods but can often be got for a pretty reasonable upgrade price at other times - obviously more in total than 2 x cost of other villas, but if you’re determined to spend time in the villa together then they have the facilities and would be awesome for it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.