Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2019, 12:58 am

Programs: HH Diamond, BAEC
Originally Posted by jsteinberg
I am in a DBV close to the Mandhoo spa (all the way at the end before the boardwalk) .. Was out on the beach in our chairs and moved back to the DBV pool as they were loud and flying a drone over the over water villas on main island... Eventually a lifeguard came over and shut that down... Not sure how many people I'll walk over to the main pool in a bit and see if I can guess... I'll take some pics
This drone thing is really becoming a nuisance. I don’t like the idea of them at all. Glad to hear the lifeguard shut it down. Are you in a renovated DBV?!
Old Feb 14, 2019, 12:59 am

Originally Posted by pineapple_09

This drone thing is really becoming a nuisance. I don’t like the idea of them at all. Glad to hear the lifeguard shut it down. Are you in a renovated DBV?!

Yea, just renovated love the location as we are at the end, no unit on 1 side

Tried to upload a pic doesn't seem to be working ..
Old Feb 14, 2019, 2:02 am

Programs: HH D, MB G, IHG P, Nat'l EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jsteinberg
I am here now as well, today there is a cruise ship anchored offshore and they are shuttling alot of mostly asian people to conrad as a day excursion .. Not sure if this is a new thing but definitely makes a beach day less peaceful...I don't remember reading this in previous posts. Thru some Google searches I believe the ship is the ms World
It is MS The World, which is apparently a residential yacht. The residents looked mostly American to me, but are from 45 countries according to wikipedia. I asked one staff member who said they have cruise ships come from time to time, but that this one comes once a year. The resort does feel much more crowded with the ship's residents here. Every chair was taken at both pools when I walked by in the afternoon.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 2:19 am

Hmm....."Average occupancy is 150–200 residents and guests". Ugh. Sounds like a very unwelcome invasion, especially with the drones. Can someone there please find out from management if the ship is a regular and comes to Rangali at the same date every year? That would be useful info to have. TIA!
Old Feb 14, 2019, 2:29 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond; Royal Ambassor
A Cruise Ship full of millionaires..., hopefully a good revenue for the hotel.
Probably no one complaining about the missing free drinking water, discussing the green tax and haggling about upgrade prices.
Interesting to know how long they will stay, as the ship normally stays for a few days at each location.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 2:30 am

The residents and captain decide on the route they’ll take every year apparently (here’s the website):

https://aboardtheworld.com/journey/

So it could change from one year to the next.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 2:42 am

So 2 of the passengers started walking up our path from the beach with a gopro while we were in the pool ... They made it about half way up and then turned around .. Called our host, he was sending "security"

I told my host I would have stayed at a different island had I known it was going to be a ship port stop...

2 people we met here apparently complained at the concierge desk as there were no free water sports available (kayaks, paddle boards) as they were all taken... Apparently the GM was coming to their room.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 2:43 am

Hi, everyone. I created an account just now to discuss the conditions of the resort since my wife and I are here to celebrate Valentine's Day in this oasis for a second time (third trip to CRI). The rumors are facts. "The World" has courriered approximately 80-100 of its guests to the resort today and guests are FURIOUS.

99% of these cruise guests are actually American (as am I) and are being very loud, very invasive and worst of all, they are taking capacity of a resort that is already at 105% occupancy (according to hotel staff at the front desk) given Hilton employees have reservations that can be bumped if revenue/points spending guests also book to 100%.

Conrad guests have not been able to secure spots in public areas including both pools, lounge areas and staff are drowning (fugratively).

I spoke to a manager who was neither informative nor apologetic, and worst of all, she was completely ineffective at resulting any change.

I called Stefano Ruzza, the hotel's General Manager, just now. I was as polite and professional yet direct as I could be. He was apologetic, but even he seems to be having a hard time corralling the circus.

Simply stated, Conrad Rangali is one of the last true oasis's in the world. But today, on Valentine's Day, it has become a cruise terminal

If the ownership of the resort doesn't hold the same superlative regard for the ambiance and quality of the resort as the guests, they of course should not have the privilege of my business.

To Stefano's credit, he offered to arrange dinner for my wife and I but I flatly told him I prefer peace, quiet and an experience I am already paying dearly for as opposed to a nominal afterthought gift over one hour.

So far, the drones, selfie sticks, bad manners and loud voices are over-powering him, his staff and the resort.

Extremely, extremely extremely disappointing. I might post pictures later. Right now I am too busy holding down my spot at the Quiet Zone pool as more than 30 cruise guests surround us.

It's something I don't think I ever would have expected in my wildest dreams.

Last edited by jmhintonjr; Feb 14, 2019 at 2:48 am Reason: typos
Old Feb 14, 2019, 2:52 am

OMG, that is bloody ridiculous. Completely unacceptable. Thanks to both of you for posting. I can’t believe some of them tried to walk up the path to your DBV pool!! .... I would have been furious. It’s one concern my hubby raised when I said we’d be staying in a DBV this time and he asked “but would people not walk up into our back yard then where the pool is?” And I said no of course not, people know not to do that! Bloody hell have I been proved wrong.

A cruise ship should not be allowed dock there at all.

Did the GM say how long this “invasion” was going to last for? What a way to ruin your holiday
Old Feb 14, 2019, 2:57 am

Programs: AA EP/4MM, DL GM/1MM, HH ♦, Bonvoy LT PLT, Hyatt Globalist, AMEX Bus Plt
I’ve pretty much avoided that chaos thus far since we decided to spend most of Valentine’s Day at the spa and Ithaa tonight but there was a hazard caused by these cruise passengers droppping all their scuba gear on the bridge right where you board the Dhoni between the islands. Had to climb over and around bags to getting to where you load/unload. Staff doesn’t seem to be aware the danger of this.

Hopefully they didnt shove extra tables in Ithaa for them tonight. Hoping they’ll be gone tomorrow too.

Last edited by texmanufan; Feb 14, 2019 at 3:05 am
Old Feb 14, 2019, 3:00 am

Programs: HH D, MB G, IHG P, Nat'l EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mb123
Interesting to know how long they will stay, as the ship normally stays for a few days at each location.
The front desk staff told me they are leaving tomorrow.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 3:02 am

That's terrible. Is this another way of increasing revenue for the resort? Whoever thought of this needs a good butt-whipping! Please do post pics if you guys can. I think us regulars will need to keep an eye on this cruise ship's route in the future and perhaps email the resort before making bookings to see whether any similar kind of invasion is scheduled to coincide with our stays.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 3:03 am

Heading to diamond happy hr will report back any updates
Old Feb 14, 2019, 3:08 am

Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
That's terrible. Is this another way of increasing revenue for the resort? Whoever thought of this needs a good butt-whipping! Please do post pics if you guys can. I think us regulars will need to keep an eye on this cruise ship's route in the future and perhaps email the resort before making bookings to see whether any similar kind of invasion is scheduled to coincide with our stays.
If you click on the link I posted, you can see their itinerary for the rest of 2019.

2020 is actually there too:

https://aboardtheworld.com/journey/2020-journey/

Apr to Jun next year they’ll be around there. Any ideas how long it would take to travel that distance as per the map above?!
Old Feb 14, 2019, 3:11 am

Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
I think us regulars will need to keep an eye on this cruise ship's route.
Good luck, hey don’t publish their route.

To others, the ship is scheduled to leave at midnight.

Staff are working double shifts. There are men in speedos sitting deep inside Rangali bar, others have their snorkeling equipment up on the bar.

It’s is a freaking zoo.

As another guest stated eloquently, it takes years to build a reputation, and hours to destroy it.

Put yourself in our shoes. Is it worth traveling so far, spending so much, and giving up so many other options to subject yourself to this?

Ita getting worse by the minute...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.