Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2019, 12:06 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, BAEC
Originally Posted by lhrhappy
This is the same resort that rented an entire island to the Kardashians and let them host a concert with fireworks, other guests be damned.

This is the same resort that erected a James Bond villain residence in the middle of the ocean, absolutely wrecking the views to the East.

This is the same resort that continues to cut costs at any price, limping along with only an undersea restaurant to differentiate it from others.

I can understand why Golds and Diamonds still make award bookings, but I can't fathom why anyone would pay dollars when there are so many great alternatives.
What alternatives would you suggest though? I have a soft spot for Rangali and we ain’t going on points ... if I like something, I just tend to stick with it. If we went elsewhere, it might disappoint, hence my reluctance to look elsewhere.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 12:36 pm

Programs: Priority Club Platinum & Ambassdor, Hilton Honors Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
I’m sorry for everyone currently at resort that had to experience the fiasco today. I’m checking in tomorrow am so will be interesting to see the aftermath, and hoping the cruise ship is gone.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 12:39 pm

Programs: LH Sen, HH Diamond, IC RA
It seems the shitstorm already went viral:

https://onemileatatime.com/conrad-maldives-cruise-ship/

also here at TripAdvisor:

https://www.tripadvisor.de/ShowUserReviews-g298325-d300676-r652302784-Conrad_Maldives_Rangali_Island-Rangali_Island.html?m=19905

Last edited by tom-schmitt; Feb 14, 2019 at 12:45 pm
Old Feb 14, 2019, 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by tom-schmitt
It seems the shitstorm already got viral:

https://onemileatatime.com/conrad-maldives-cruise-ship/
Naturally, that guys trolls FT and Reddit looking for content. There are only so many credit cards to pimp.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 12:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Random question: has anyone here booked their flights to VAM (Villa Airport Maamigili) and taken a boat from there? A local airline serves it and charges about $250 R/T from MLE. Looks like about 10-ish miles in a water taxi or chartered speedboat from the airport to the hotel.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by pineapple_09
What alternatives would you suggest though? I have a soft spot for Rangali and we ain’t going on points ... if I like something, I just tend to stick with it. If we went elsewhere, it might disappoint, hence my reluctance to look elsewhere.
Literally anywhere. I don't know what's important to you, but do a search on TripAdvisor. Narrow it down to your price range, sort by the average review, and investigate which have the amenities most important to you -- F&B, snorkeling, excursions, proximity to MLE, distance from MLE, butlers, themes, international chain vs. independent vs. owned by the locals, etc.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 12:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
The Kardashian thing could happen anywhere. Marriotts and Starwoods have certainly done the same thing. I've also stayed at other resorts that hosted a film shoot (and usually took pride in it and had lots of photos in their lobby of the crew, actors, set, etc.) The Hotel del Coronado has a mini-museum that includes a long list of films that were set (or partly set) there.

But I'm concerned at why a hotel has to cut costs when they're hauling in $1000/nt. for most of their units. I'm sure operating a resort on an atoll has high expenses, but if they can't make money at those levels then I guess I just fundamentally don't get the hotel business at all. Something doesn't seem to add up.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 1:24 pm

It does add up, I'm afraid. New management have been penny-pinching, nickel-and-diming, cost-cutting, you name it to save - read make more money. Now that they have started renovating the DBVs, built The Muraka and are planning on renovating or replacing all the OWVs on Rangali Island, they have had, and are going to continue having, a serious drop in earnings / cashflow and think they can get away with anything to bring in more cash.
You know, this is something I'd expect in mainland China (where I happen to have been living for a looooong time). You get this kinda crap pulled everywhere and often by corrupt officials. If you didn't know any better, anyone would think management are pocketing this extra income for themselves like they do over here. Obviously it's not the case with Rangali but bloody hell, it's absolutely inexcusable. And especially considering Rangali is still the crown jewel in Hilton's portfolio - at least until the Waldorf opens. What the hell were they thinking?!?!
Old Feb 14, 2019, 1:37 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, BAEC
Anybody on Instagram? A user called napicgram just
posted up a photo of the cruise ship. It’s blocking the Muraka’s view! Can you imagine if you’d booked the Muraka and that was what you had to look at?!
Old Feb 14, 2019, 1:50 pm

Hotlink the pic
Old Feb 14, 2019, 1:54 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Gold, HHonors Gold
Anybody on Instagram? A user called napicgram just
posted up a photo of the cruise ship. It’s blocking the Muraka’s view! Can you imagine if you’d booked the Muraka and that was what you had to look at?!
Wow, that's a good sized cruise ship!
I would be furious. This sucks for the staff who must be overworked. Management is very shortsighted. I hope they come to their senses as peace and tranquility is what people expect in Maldives.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 2:01 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titainum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Delta Diamond
chances are it'll be gone in a week right? cause thats when i'm there. i cant imagine a cruise ship staying more than a week in one place
Old Feb 14, 2019, 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
Hotlink the pic
Instagram Photo of Cruise Ship
Old Feb 14, 2019, 2:06 pm

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by guy_listening
​​​​​​​What's with the fake jetskis in front....
Old Feb 14, 2019, 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by ElliottMB
​​​​​​​What's with the fake jetskis in front....
No idea, could be a fake...Just posted a hotlink from the instagram user someone stated above - I did not find the source.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.