Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2019, 10:48 pm

Programs: HH D, MB G, IHG P, Nat'l EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by pineapple_09
No way would I drop a night at Rangali in exchange for an extra night in Sri Lanka.
Originally Posted by CHSDOC
Ok, so I will keep the 5 nights. I knew as much!

​​​​​​+1. Visited Sri Lanka for a week before going to the Maldives and definitely wouldn't trade a night at CMRI for another day in Sri Lanka, especially if it's a free 5th night.

Originally Posted by mdg197777
Regarding snorkeling, does the Conrad provide snorkeling equipment for both adults and children? Is it included or is it an extra cost? How is the quality of the equipment? We have our own mask and fins but really prefer not to use up our luggage space & weight on them. What has everyone else done? Thanks!
​​​​Snorkeling equipment is included and can be picked up your first day and kept for the duration of your trip. I'm not sure about equipment for children, but multiple sizes of masks are available for adults. I know nothing about snorkeling equipment, but the masks are Saekodive brand (maybe M-2203 or M-2206KS) and feel considerably nicer than what you'd get to use on a Key West snorkelling trip.I

ETA: Stopped by the dive center and confirmed they do have snorkeling equipment for children.

Last edited by ncSam; Feb 11, 2019 at 1:52 am Reason: Additional info
Old Feb 10, 2019, 11:05 pm

Originally Posted by CHSDOC
Ok, so I will keep the 5 nights. I knew as much!

1. Is now the time to contact hotel regarding paid upgrades?

2. If my departing flight from MLE is in the morning, at 925, would the seaplane transfer leave that morning early? It is just past the 0900 cut off on the wiki
Add an extra night or 2 if you can. You most definitely won't regret it.
Contact them anytime about upgrades but the earlier the better. See my post about upgrades (linked in my sig below).
Resort time is 1hr ahead of Male time so yes, you will in all likelihood leave that morning. Try and get a night flight out. You'll have a good half day more at Rangali and, as I have said above, you won't regret it. ^

@mdg197777 Snorkel gear is excellent for a resort and is changed every couple of years. Everything is FOC.

Originally Posted by Traveler Dave
Has anyone taken a cooking class at the Conrad? Any thoughts on the experience? Is there an age restriction?
We will be doing this on our 30-night stay. Should be awesome. Don't think there's any age restriction but I imagine infants will have to be babysitted.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 11:07 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat Amb
Does anyone know a link to find out sunset time at the hotel? We will be staying there from 3/3 - 3/10/19 and would like to make some dinner reservations. And if anyone plans to be there then, we would love to connect with you!
Old Feb 10, 2019, 11:55 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat Amb
I also wonder if anyone has done the whale shark excursion and could describe their experience. Does anyone know if they have been successful in spotting the whale sharks recently and what the cost is. Another poster mentioned that he was able to get $50 off pp for pre-paying for some excursion he was going to do. Is this usually the case?
Old Feb 11, 2019, 1:34 am

For 2 adults & 1 child (7 years) staying in a WV or SWV (waiting to see how much the upgrade costs) do they simply roll in a bed for the child or something else done? I am correct in believing there is no additional cost for the roll-away? Thanks.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 1:42 am

Originally Posted by konaflyer
Does anyone know a link to find out sunset time at the hotel? We will be staying there from 3/3 - 3/10/19 and would like to make some dinner reservations. And if anyone plans to be there then, we would love to connect with you!
Check out the wiki's Weather section. If you install the app I mention that gives you sunset and sunrise times although I think only a max of 10 days out. If you want info on that now you can go here: https://www.timeanddate.com/sun/maldives/male

As for Whale Shark excursions, you'd do well to search through the TripAdvisor reviews using whale shark as keywords as there are lots of mentions there, many more than here. Here's the link: https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Re...li_Island.html
Old Feb 11, 2019, 7:31 am

Programs: delta, american, Hilton Diamond
Regarding snorkeling, does the Conrad provide snorkeling equipment for both adults and children? Is it included or is it an extra cost? How is the quality of the equipment? We have our own mask and fins but really prefer not to use up our luggage space & weight on them. What has everyone else done? Thanks!
We are on our way there for the 2nd time. If you are a serious snorkeler and have your own equipment, bring it. I have no idea on the quality of the equipment that Rangali provides, but I DO have an idea of the quality of snorkeling available, and it is not to be missed. Don't let the chance for an equipment issue to interfere with the things you will see.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 7:40 am

Programs: delta, american, Hilton Diamond
I also wonder if anyone has done the whale shark excursion and could describe their experience. Does anyone know if they have been successful in spotting the whale sharks recently and what the cost is. Another poster mentioned that he was able to get $50 off pp for pre-paying for some excursion he was going to do. Is this usually the case?

My wife and I looked into the whale shark excursion last time we were there. The trip is geared towards getting you in the water with a whale shark, if one can be found. The rest of the trip is information on the whale shark project itself, which you may or may not find interesting. We decided not to go on the WSE because the emphasis was less on snorkeling and more on a lecture about the program, at least that is how it seemed to us. Instead, we went on the snorkeling excursions (which at the time were much cheaper) because they also tried to find whale sharks and put more emphasis on the snorkeling part of it. We were lucky, we got to spend almost an hour with a WS on our snorkeling trip. The people I talked to that went on the WS excursion that week never saw one.
Not sure when you are going, but some times of the year are better than others, and I have heard that the moon phase can help due to plankton breeding cycles. If there is a pre-pay discount on any of the excursions, I am unaware of it.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 8:51 am

This discount is the first I am hearing about this, let me know if you find out!
Old Feb 11, 2019, 10:20 am

Would arriving at 3:15 PM from Doha give enough time to make the same day seaplane transfer? I know the wiki says guests with arriving flights until 4:00 PM, but it would be too close with bags, customs, etc.?
Old Feb 11, 2019, 10:23 am

Upgrade Pricing 2nd Week April

Just received an email with upgrade pricing for 7 nights mostly during the 2nd week April

Upgrade from Water Villa to Deluxe Beach Villa US$ 148 + 10% service charge + 12% T GST per night.

Upgrade from Water Villa to Retreat Water Villa US$ 295 + 10% service charge + 12% T GST per night.

Upgrade from Water Villa to Deluxe Water Villa US$ 540 + 10% service charge + 12% T GST per night.

Upgrade from Water Villa to Family Water Villa US$ 880+ 10% service charge + 12% T GST per night. (2bedrooms)

Note that the original email did not offer an upgrade for the Superior Water VIlla. I wrote back asking if there was availability and for a quote and received this back:

We do have a couple of Superior Water Villas available during your stay at the moment.Upgrade from Water Villa to Deluxe Beach Villa US$ 75 + 10% service charge + 12% T GST per night.

I wrote back countering at $60++ per night which was accepted within an hour. Perhaps, I should have pushed harder... In any case, I am happy with the cost of SWV upgrade.

Hope this information helps some people out.

Last edited by mdg197777; Feb 11, 2019 at 10:26 am Reason: Formatting
Old Feb 11, 2019, 12:19 pm

Just received an email with upgrade pricing for 7 nights mostly during the 2nd week April

Upgrade from Water Villa to Deluxe Beach Villa US$ 148 + 10% service charge + 12% T GST per night.

Upgrade from Water Villa to Retreat Water Villa US$ 295 + 10% service charge + 12% T GST per night.

Upgrade from Water Villa to Deluxe Water Villa US$ 540 + 10% service charge + 12% T GST per night.

Upgrade from Water Villa to Family Water Villa US$ 880+ 10% service charge + 12% T GST per night. (2bedrooms)

Note that the original email did not offer an upgrade for the Superior Water VIlla. I wrote back asking if there was availability and for a quote and received this back:

We do have a couple of Superior Water Villas available during your stay at the moment.Upgrade from Water Villa to Deluxe Beach Villa US$ 75 + 10% service charge + 12% T GST per night.

I wrote back countering at $60++ per night which was accepted within an hour. Perhaps, I should have pushed harder... In any case, I am happy with the cost of SWV upgrade.

Hope this information helps some people out.

How timely! I just emailed for our April 8 arrival. 5 nights.

So if money is not an object, what room would be the ideal upgrade?
Old Feb 11, 2019, 12:33 pm

Programs: Priority Club Platinum & Ambassdor, Hilton Honors Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Wife and I are checking in this Friday and doing this excursion on Sunday, so I can let you know how it goes. From what I hear, they may contact other boats in area to see where the whale sharks are, so there could be multiple boats with people snorkeling, but have no idea and will just keep a positive attitude!

Also, we were given discount of $50, so $150 per person for this excursion.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 3:35 pm

Programs: AA EP/4MM, DL GM/1MM, HH ♦, Bonvoy LT PLT, Hyatt Globalist, AMEX Bus Plt
Beginning of our stay here now. Evidently no one has seen a whale shark for a week. Also, the water temp dropped 3 degrees fairly rapidly and the wind has picked up. Snorkeling was terrible our first day. Sand churned up and worst visibility I’ve seen here before. Mantas haven’t been seen for a while from the bridge at night either. Hope the snorkeling conditions improve. Our son and his wife are joining us this time and we had built up the quality of snorkeling which so far isn’t making me look too good. Early morning here now and the wind is still strong on the beach. Think we will do the smaller reef that is more sheltered on the 100 side of beach villas when day breaks.

Everything else is great though. Catching up with some of the same old staff regulars.

Last edited by texmanufan; Feb 11, 2019 at 9:24 pm
Old Feb 11, 2019, 5:34 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum
That was me, I had read another person had done it in advance so I figured I would try it since we were booking a couple of other excursions at the same time. No prepaying, here is what I received back...

Thank you for your email and apologies for the late response.

From the dive centre we run our Whale Shark Talk &Tour excursion three times per week (Wednesdays, Fridays and Sundays), starting at 0830 with an informative briefing about whale sharks, behaviour, and our code of conduct for swimming with them (please note that this is a snorkel activity!). We depart the island by speedboat at 0900 and reach the hotspot in approximately 20 minutes. Once we arrive there is a lot of searching involved to find them as the reef is over 30km in length and the whale sharks can be anywhere in the area. Once located we jump into the water with our experienced guides for a once in a lifetime experience. We return to the Conrad by around 1230. The cost per person is $200++ and the spaces are limited to 12 person per trip, however we are able to offer you a pre-booking rate of $150++ per person. Please note that we can only offer the excursion to guests over the age of 12 and that are good swimmers as this is paramount for in water safety on the excursion. The currents and ocean conditions can be a bit rougher sometimes and there can be high boat traffic with other snorkelers in the water around the whale sharks. These conditions are unfortunately out of our control. We do like to draw to everyone attention that whale sharks are wild animals so we cannot guarantee that we will for certain see them on the trip, there is also an element of luck involved. When conditions are good the chance to see them is approximately 80-90%; however lunar phases, wind and cloud conditions will reduce the odds. If conditions are such that we do not think there is a good chance to see whale sharks we will postpone the excursion at no charge.

I have reserved for you 2 spaces . Please do not hesitate to get back to us directly in case you have further questions.

We are looking forward to welcome you at the dive centre in April!

Kind regards,

Nicola

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.