Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2018, 11:12 am

I wonder if time would pass more slowly when by oneself. What have those who have been there by themselves experienced?
Old Aug 28, 2018, 11:20 am

Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
I wonder if time would pass more slowly when by oneself. What have those who have been there by themselves experienced?
it flew by for me, but then again I was only there for five nights.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by ukinny2000
I was there alone on my first visit in Feb 2014, and had a tremendous time. In fact, other than staying in the OWV it was hard to have any time to myself as everyone wanted to talk to me, no doubt due to curiosity as to why I was alone. Even staff would acknowledge me as the guy traveling alone when I would check into the meals etc... and (seemingly) pay extra attention to me. I was also lucky enough to meet on the first night two solo women, also from the US, traveling together, and one of them and I decided to make good use of my outdoor tub, the nightsky and a bottle of champers. Anyhoo, the point is, it is surprisingly fun to be there alone
Lol.

+1 to the fact that more people want to chat up with you when they realize you are alone. This happens everywhere, not just at resorts. Some will end up inviting you to join their dinner table.

It is natural, afterall, humans tend to be more apprehensive abt approaching a group to talk to someone new (for fear of rejection, ridicule or whatever), as opposed to approaching a single person.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 12:10 pm

Talking

Originally Posted by ukinny2000
I was also lucky enough to meet on the first night two solo women, also from the US, traveling together, and one of them and I decided to make good use of my outdoor tub, the nightsky and a bottle of champers.
Right, but you left out the interesting parts:

1. Are you more or less likely to get an upgraded room as a solo traveller?

2. Do they provide any sort of F&B credit to compensate you in lieu of the benefits you forfeit for not having a travel companion?

3. If you book a wine cellar event solo, will they let you sit at the head of the table?
Old Aug 28, 2018, 12:22 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
The closest resort with a dive operation I've seen is about an hour speed boat ride away. (Mirihi Island is apparently the closest resort. According to google it is 7 km away from the Rangali. They have a dive center, and the rates are cheaper than the Rangali, but then you'd have to pay to get there.) So my guess is it would cost you substantially more. I was there two years ago (my third dive trip to the Rangali). It was a new operation and we dived 3 dives a day. After about four days, they pulled out the speed boat and put us on it every subsequent day with no additional charge. The corals died off in 2015 IIRC and while there are soft corals and fast growing corals, the fish life has diminished (as it has practically everywhere).

I suppose my advice is if you are coming to the Rangali, don't ask the price, just do it. (And for heaven's sake, don't bring ramen.)

Originally Posted by Zanis520
Apologies in advance if this has been covered, but I couldn't find anything when reading through the thread. Are you allowed to use outside vendors/companies for scuba diving? I'm going in March and diving is a must. We will use the Conrad dive center if we have to, but was curious if we could save some money have use an outside service. Thanks.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 12:23 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
This should go on the wiki: there is no cheap way to do the Rangali. Or one that makes any sense.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by lhrhappy
Right, but you left out the interesting parts:

1. Are you more or less likely to get an upgraded room as a solo traveller?

2. Do they provide any sort of F&B credit to compensate you in lieu of the benefits you forfeit for not having a travel companion?

3. If you book a wine cellar event solo, will they let you sit at the head of the table?
1) I paid for my upgrade to the OWV, so couldn't say
2) nope
3) I remember visiting the wine cellar for a tasting, but don't recall there being a table to sit at, so *shrug* guess not?
Old Aug 28, 2018, 9:31 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by manneca
This should go on the wiki: there is no cheap way to do the Rangali. Or one that makes any sense.
I don’t wish to argue, but I think there is a cheap way to do it that can make sense. Stay on points/free nights, eat free breakfast taken late, skip lunch, free afternoon tea and happy hour, skip dinner a few times when the tea offerings are particularly filling. I would have no problem doing that, though my girlfriend wouldn’t like the dinner skipping thing.

I might even even bring my own Pringles to avoid the $7 minibar charge.

I wonder how often they get guests with a zero dollar bill aside from the seaplane transfer.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 11:43 pm

Originally Posted by jphripjah
I don’t wish to argue, but I think there is a cheap way to do it that can make sense. Stay on points/free nights, eat free breakfast taken late, skip lunch, free afternoon tea and happy hour, skip dinner a few times....
I believe manneca's talking about the diving site called The Rangali.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 5:34 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
I don’t wish to argue, but I think there is a cheap way to do it that can make sense. Stay on points/free nights, eat free breakfast taken late, skip lunch, free afternoon tea and happy hour, skip dinner a few times when the tea offerings are particularly filling. I would have no problem doing that, though my girlfriend wouldn’t like the dinner skipping thing.
Absolutely nothing wrong with that either; long/late breakfast, skip lunch, afternoon tea/happy hour .... that is do-able.

However one would "miss" dining/enjoying the ambience of the variety of restaurants / speciality dinners on offer.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by alanslegal
Absolutely nothing wrong with that either; long/late breakfast, skip lunch, afternoon tea/happy hour .... that is do-able.

However one would "miss" dining/enjoying the ambience of the variety of restaurants / speciality dinners on offer.
+1

The scorched earth, credit card blogger, "How I Took an $80,000 Vacation for $32.50" approach is only appealing until you arrive.

After you set foot on the island, those plans go out the window. You will let yourself breathe and eat a few nice dinners. Maybe even an excursion. It's unavoidable.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by alanslegal
Exactly. It's foolish to go to such a place and miss out on the majority of the F&B they have to offer just to save money. But there are some who think it's smart and that they're clever, or cool or whatever.....
Old Aug 29, 2018, 10:46 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
Exactly. It's foolish to go to such a place and miss out on the majority of the F&B they have to offer just to save money. But there are some who think it's smart and that they're clever, or cool or whatever.....
I had a $31++ pizza at the Quiet Zone and it was crap. With a $12 Tiger beer. I'd rather skip a meal and keep the $52.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 11:00 pm

I had a $31++ pizza at the Quiet Zone and it was crap. With a $12 Tiger beer. I'd rather skip a meal and keep the $52.
$52 for a $hit pizza and a Tiger beer is ridiculous. I have no problem paying premium for solid food and drink, but $50 for a $hit pizza and a Tiger is laughable. Please share something good about the food and beverage to keep me from moving over to the Park Hyatt.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 11:30 pm

First of all, you are comparing apples with oranges. The Quiet Zone (aka Rangali Bar, as the food comes from the same kitchen) is the 'worst' of the outlets, if you can call it bad in any way or form. Just because you think one item is bad at the least classy of the outlets and ignore the other 10+ dining options, no-one is going to take your post seriously.
Second, I will be honest here and say that in 5 years on this forum reading this thread nearly from the very beginning and reading every single review on TA, I have never ever seen anyone say the pizza was crap or similarly bad as you put it. Yeah, maybe you do think it was crap and that's your prerogative but it needs to be put in perspective.

When all is said and done, it's up to you to limit yourself and stick with The Quiet Zone / Rangali Bar and forego dinner by not going anywhere else but, as we all know, it's a pretty childish attitude to take just to save fifty odd bucks. You can get a dish at Mandhoo for that price so no need to generalize and try and make the resort look bad and skimping on F&B look good. It just doesn't fly in this topic.

Last edited by MaldivesFreak; Aug 30, 2018 at 12:04 am Reason: Added info

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.