Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2018, 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by speedlog
Does anyone have any recent experience with Diamond/Gold benefits on a second room booked from a elite account with points?
To the best of my knowledge there have been no changes to how the resort handles situations such as these, however if you are going to rely on option 1, it would be best to email them first so you are clear about everything.

On another note, the Conrad now has 2500 reviews on TA. Unfortunately they are still on 4.5 stars out of 5; something they had better watch because if they continue down this route of nutty cost-cutting and charging for water they might find themselves half a point lower in another year or so. The latest review is a good example.

Last edited by MaldivesFreak; Sep 29, 2018 at 2:37 pm
Old Sep 29, 2018, 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Is there a place to shower or lie down in the airport lounge for Conrad Rangali? I will have a 8 hour wait while the rest of my group arrives from 2pm-10pm.
Are you inbound or outbound? Regardless, the lounge is not ordinarily open until 10pm. You will need to make special arrangements with the resort if you intend to wait there for eight hours.

To your question - there are showers and comfortable lounging chairs. But there aren't any nap rooms, so you probably wouldn't be able to sleep unless you can do it with a face mask and earplugs.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 6:49 pm

Does anyone have any recent experience with Diamond/Gold benefits on a second room booked from a elite account with points?
OP here.

I ended up booking 2 villas using my own points, from my own account, with Diamond status. What i can tell you is that the Conrad agent did specifically note in his follow up email to me that at least one of the occupants in second villa must have Diamond / Gold status in order to receive the benefits.

So in other words, it doesnt matter who book the villa. It only matters who actually lives in the villa. Since i cant split myself into two, i ensured a second person with status is occupying the second villa.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 2:53 am

Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
To the best of my knowledge there have been no changes to how the resort handles situations such as these, however if you are going to rely on option 1, it would be best to email them first so you are clear about everything.

On another note, the Conrad now has 2500 reviews on TA. Unfortunately they are still on 4.5 stars out of 5; something they had better watch because if they continue down this route of nutty cost-cutting and charging for water they might find themselves half a point lower in another year or so. The latest review is a good example.
Originally Posted by gnomey
OP here.

I ended up booking 2 villas using my own points, from my own account, with Diamond status. What i can tell you is that the Conrad agent did specifically note in his follow up email to me that at least one of the occupants in second villa must have Diamond / Gold status in order to receive the benefits.

So in other words, it doesnt matter who book the villa. It only matters who actually lives in the villa. Since i cant split myself into two, i ensured a second person with status is occupying the second villa.
Thank you for following up and clarifying! I can gift gold status so that may be the route I take.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 8:32 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak

I'm surprised that a Honeymooning couple with free breakfast and happy hour and not eating and drinking lavishly would spend about $1000 a day on food and drinks, as the review claims.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by jphripjah
I'm surprised that a Honeymooning couple with free breakfast and happy hour and not eating and drinking lavishly would spend about $1000 a day on food and drinks, as the review claims.
Easy to do if you do Ithaa with drinks ($1K). Doesn't look like they had the free dinner for honeymooners at Mandhoo so 3 dinners, maybe at Vilu, Sunset Grill and maybe a beach dinner; easy to knock up $1500 there. Then there's the 'cheap bottles of wine' (compared to some of the stuff on their wine list for sale) which can cost what, $150++ each so that's close to another K. That's maybe 3200 to 3500. Then add a couple hundred for miscellaneous drinks between breakfast and Happy Hour and maybe some minibar items so his 'about 4K' (which is probably closer to 3500) is not surprising to me. Probably big eaters. And maybe his definition of lavish is different from what others would call lavish.
We have a starter each, a main each, a non-alcoholic drink each and one dessert and it costs us $300 at Vilu and Sunset Grill, sometimes $400 if I order a 400g or 450g tenderloin as my main. At $130++ (last year) I wouldn't call my tenderloin (or that dinner) lavish by any standard. Neither would we consider a beach dinner lavish (except for the Private Beach Dining option) and they aren't cheap. It's so easy to spend hundreds at dinner even without alcohol.

Last edited by MaldivesFreak; Sep 30, 2018 at 10:41 am
Old Sep 30, 2018, 10:51 am

Thank you for following up and clarifying! I can gift gold status so that may be the route I take.
That would certainly be the best option of you are planning on a cash stay. It's easy to go over the 100,000 base point limit when you have two rooms so splitting the rooms will avoid that.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 1:16 pm

We are staying in April and have booked a WV.
We would like one on the sunset side - so have read all the helpful wiki guides -thanks @MF and all who contribute.

Can I check my understanding - I should be asking for a sunset villa in the 315-330 range, but NOT 325/326/327 if possible as these 'sort of' face the spa?
And it seems the better ones are corners - so ideally 324/319/318/315 ?

Does that sound right?

Old Sep 30, 2018, 1:42 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by Subman
We are staying in April and have booked a WV.
We would like one on the sunset side - so have read all the helpful wiki guides -thanks @MF and all who contribute.

Can I check my understanding - I should be asking for a sunset villa in the 315-330 range, but NOT 325/326/327 if possible as these 'sort of' face the spa?
And it seems the better ones are corners - so ideally 324/319/318/315 ?

Does that sound right?

If you want to see what 327 looks like, you can see my post here from August. From the selection guide that MaldivesFreak created, 327 has the "worst" view in terms of looking out to the left at the edge of the deck and seeing the spa. That being said, we didn't have any complaints about the view looking out from our villa - you just see the water - or even when we were out on our deck - it still felt private. If it only gets better from 327, you can't go wrong in my opinion. ^
Old Sep 30, 2018, 3:57 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I think Maldives Freak said that 325/326/327 might have a view of other villas. I did some swimming/wading out past those villas and my best guess is that if you are on those decks, you see only water. I'm not sure though.

They are also a shorter walk to the boat dock than 315-324, and I think that's a good thing.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 4:09 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
You only see the the side privacy walls from 327 of the adjacent villas. If you walk about halfway out on the deck and look left you can see the spa in the distance. We only saw people out swimming in the distance two or three times, never anyone in front of our unit.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 4:20 pm

At resort this week. FYI, Vilu reopened yesterday, Sep 30, for breakfast. Afternoon tea and happy hour are now there, too.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 4:52 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, TK E+, Sixt Diamond
Originally Posted by pamdrew
At resort this week. FYI, Vilu reopened yesterday, Sep 30, for breakfast. Afternoon tea and happy hour are now there, too.
Breakfast at Vilu is stil free of charge for Diamondīs?
  • Daily full buffet breakfast at Atoll restaurant for cardholder + 1 guest
Not sure if the note on the website was there before also without Vilu
Old Sep 30, 2018, 5:00 pm

Programs: M&M SEN (*G), HH Diamond
We just boarded our flight to MLE - soon to be back in paradise. :-)

We will be there until Oct, 19 (5 nights BV, 13 nights DWV).
Old Sep 30, 2018, 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by pamdrew
Is afternoon tea serve yourself as much as you want or are they bring plates with one of each pastry like they were doing at Rangali Bar?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.