Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2018, 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by milgom
I asked and they said that they cannot say if they'll be renovated by December. They also cannot guarantee that the upgrade I booked in December will be a renovated DBV
That sucks. If its not a renovated DBV I would rather have the BV. I assume some have to be done by December because its high season and they can't have a good portion of their DBV out of commission. But looks like it will be luck of the draw on who gets a renovated DBV when they arrive.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 3:00 pm

Has anybody pre-paid $$ to cover expenses prior to arriving and get Hilton resort credit as one of the Hilton Aspire benefits? I know that HIlton report credit can be used here but wanted to know if people have pre-charge their Hilton Aspire prior to the arrival and gotten the HIlton resort credit.
According to Frequent Miler, this can be feasible but I have not seen many DP.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by captainamerica
That sucks. If its not a renovated DBV I would rather have the BV. I assume some have to be done by December because its high season and they can't have a good portion of their DBV out of commission. But looks like it will be luck of the draw on who gets a renovated DBV when they arrive.
If I had a new DBV I'd swap ya for a non-redeco'd one.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by lincoln boy
Has anybody pre-paid $$ to cover expenses prior to arriving and get Hilton resort credit as one of the Hilton Aspire benefits? I know that HIlton report credit can be used here but wanted to know if people have pre-charge their Hilton Aspire prior to the arrival and gotten the HIlton resort credit.
According to Frequent Miler, this can be feasible but I have not seen many DP.
What exactly are you getting at? Are you trying to double up and get $250 before your anniversary and another $250 after?
Old Oct 3, 2018, 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by lhrhappy
What exactly are you getting at? Are you trying to double up and get $250 before your anniversary and another $250 after?
Exactly.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by lincoln boy
Exactly.
Might as well try it. I won't myself because I've already used the credit this year (at CMRI), but it could work.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 3:20 pm

how do you know which DBV is renovated and which one is not? anybody know the villa numbers of the ones that are refreshed vs not ?
Old Oct 3, 2018, 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by lhrhappy
Might as well try it. I won't myself because I've already used the credit this year (at CMRI), but it could work.
When I make a reservation later this year, I will try and report back.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 11:41 pm

Originally Posted by gnomey
how do you know which DBV is renovated and which one is not? anybody know the villa numbers of the ones that are refreshed vs not ?
Nobody knows, except for 140. Asking for a list of which ones have been finished may well be fruitless as I have a hunch they are not allocating refurbished DBVs over standard DBVs upon request. Maybe they are but for special guests only.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 9:04 am

Programs: AA - Executive Platinum 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum
Water Villas are sold out for the dates I want in March. Does anyone know if it’s possible to waitlist?
Old Oct 4, 2018, 10:26 am

Not possible.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 11:20 am

Programs: M&M SEN (*G), HH Diamond
Ok, here is the update I promised.

Disclaimer: This is our fourth visit and we always came here with our daughter (now 7 years old), so we might look at things differently than "first-timers" (i.e. the novelty has worn off) and we don't have the same needs couples or honeymooners might have. While we appreciate a good meal, we are not really the "wine & dine" kind of people. We mainly come here to be away from the busy life at home, to completely wind down and because our daughter has always liked it here so much. We always stay on points and would not be willing to pay most of the rates the hotels asks for. I am listing many negative points here, but obviously there are still a lot of good things about this place, otherwise we would not continue to come back. This is by no means a comprehensive report, just some bits and pieces I thought noteworthy (at least for the bunch in this thread) during our first few days.

Confusing / missing / wrong information:
After our arrival, on the way from the landing platform to the reception we were given so much information verbally, I forgot at least half of it (new renovations, new restaurant opening times, new this and that). I don't even want to imagine what this would sound like for somebody that arrives here for the first time.

The leaflet with the Gold / Diamond benefits we were given at check-in lists the Afternoon Tea / Cocktail Hour as being held at Rangali Bar, while it is in fact held at Vilu.

There was nobody in the Conrad Lounge MLE to make Spa bookings with the added 30min extra. We were told not to worry, as this offer was valid at the resort as well if booked within the first 48h. We went to the "Spa desk" at reception and the lady (which was hard to understand) was giving us a firm "no, only if you book at the lounge". Only when we insisted, she would call the Spa and we were given the extra 30 mins.

Some / most (?) restaurants now seem to be closed two days a week. I don't remember which and when, and there is no info on this to be found anywhere in the documents we received or found in the room.

There are so many things and services nobody tells you about. We only found out before / during our last (third) visit that we were supposed the get a free kids meal when eating at the a la carte restaurants. This time we found out that kids can order from the regular menu for 50% off - but again, other guests had to tell us about this.

Internet:
The new internet system was advertised as a "new and improved, much faster system". However, it is painfully slow compared to previous stays. At most times, it's really impossible to get any work done remotely and browsing is a PITA. Let's not even try to stream anything...

I have just started downloading a Windows Update (15.9MB) and it is now at 24% after 10 minutes.

speedtest.net reports a download rate of 0.28mbit/s to a server in Male (that equals 2.1MB/min), I haven't tried an overseas server.

The new WiFi system now requires a login (room no. + last name). What for? It's not like there would be anybody on the island that should not be allowed to use the guest WiFi. Unless they wanna track our surfing habits - than it all makes sense. When changing locations (like going from your room to reception) sometimes you lose this connection and you have to go back to the login page and you will be connected without having to enter your room no. + last name.

I think I wrote after our last visit a year ago that the inernet speed had improved significantly. If it had improved 10 times until a year ago, it is now 50 times worse.

Buggies:
There are unusually long wait times or a buggy reserved previously at reception in person may not show up at all. We got to the managers reception at 6:15, because the buggy we requested for 5:45 never showed. I was told they have a total of 15 buggies to move guests, but only 3 drivers at the moment ("staff shortage"). I heard two Australian blokes asking at reception if they could rent a buggy to drive themselfes - and they were serious about it.

When asking for a buggy at Vilu after Cocktail Hour, other guests were told that "transporting guests with buggies is not part of their service and the concept of this island is to walk between places".

Adding to the buggy shortage is the fact the ferry dhoni between reception and Vilu has not been operating since we got here - with the exception of about 1h one afternoon. The reason given is the weather / waves. We also heard a story that one of the ferry dhonies sunk a couple of weeks ago in the lagoon.

Service in general:
You would assume they know that there are three of us and provide things like 3 bathrobes, 3 rain jackets or 3 umbrellas in the room, and not only when you ask for these items.

Afternoon Tea + Cocktail Hour:
Are now merged and have been moved to Vilu permanently. The choices are as before:

Afternoon Tea 4:00 - 5:00, self serve from the buffet, only house water now (I don't remember about last year, but previously it was Evian and San Pelegrino)
Cocktail Hour 4:30 - 5:30, order drinks from the staff, one small plate with fingerfood served to your table

The lazy guy in me likes the idea of having both events in one place now, but the move from Mandhoo to Vilu is a huge loss in atmosphere. I don't know what they have been renovating at Vilu - it still has the old worn furniture and scratched floors. Maybe someone else might spot something new looking at the picture below - a new counter maybe? When I asked an employee today I was told Vilu was previously closed due to low occupancy and for "deep cleaning"...

Managers Reception:
Nothing to write home about, very few managers present (GM absent, on holiday), the new Hotel Manager, Akinori Ito was there (he replaced Bobby Shankar some months ago), but he was in talks and I met some locals (from our home town and from a city close to us) and spent the rest of the event talking to them. Snacks served seemed to be smaller and fewer than on previous receptions.

The Muraka:
Sticks out like a sore thumb. See pics below, taken from the beach at 205 and from the quiet zone pool. We will try to get a tour once Stefano is back (don't know what the chances are, though).

Some pics - click on them for a larger view:

Aerial view of "SAii Lagoon Maldives, Curio Collection by Hilton" construction site:

Muraka aerial view:

Muraka view from quiet zone pool:

Beach view between 206 and 205 - with Muraka view (also notice the erosion, only a very small area of beach left here):

Afternoon Tea buffet at Vilu:

DBV renovation area fenced off on Rangalifinolhu island (high 100 room numbers):

Last edited by goliath; Oct 4, 2018 at 12:45 pm Reason: typos
Old Oct 4, 2018, 11:32 am

Programs: M&M SEN (*G), HH Diamond
If any FTers are here right now or will be by October, 18 and would like to meet up - please send me a PM.
(sorry, I lost track of who is or will be here during our stay )
Old Oct 4, 2018, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by goliath
"the concept of this island is to walk between places".
I wholeheartedly agree with this.

Originally Posted by goliath
We also heard a story that one of the ferry dhonies sunk a couple of weeks ago in the lagoon.
As long as no one was hurt, that is hilarious.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 11:44 am

Also, the Muraka looks like a James Bond villain's headquarters.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.