Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2018, 11:08 pm

Programs: M&M SEN (*G), HH Diamond
Originally Posted by j.cerda
Since you are currently at the resort do you have more information on when the DBV renovations will be completed?
I am trying to find out which DBVs on the reef side of the island have the large plunge pool like in the posted picture.

Deluxe Beach Villa with large plunge pool
I will post more info on the DBV renovations in a later post, together with some pics.

Regarding the DBV pool shapes, see this pic I posted a while ago:

If I counted correctly, you should have the long rectangular pools at DBVs 125,127,128,129,134 (lagoon side) and 223,227,229,230 (reef side).

Pool sizes and shapes will not be changed as part of the renovations.

Last edited by goliath; Oct 17, 2018 at 11:20 pm
Old Oct 18, 2018, 7:24 am

Apologies, forgot to post this earlier -

High & Festive Seasons (01 Oct through 11 May):
Beach Villa to Superior Water Villa 73.92
Beach Villa to Deluxe Water Villa 474.32
Beach Villa to Retreat Water Villa 588.59
Beach Villa to Premier Water Villa 1448.84
Old Oct 18, 2018, 11:27 am

Presumably this year's rates and before all taxes? We're short on 2019 so just confirming.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 11:31 am

Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
Presumably this year's rates and before all taxes? We're short on 2019 so just confirming.
Correct, before all taxes. Rates are for Oct 2018 - May 2019
Old Oct 18, 2018, 12:38 pm

I mean when is your stay? What are the dates you were quoted the rates for?
Old Oct 18, 2018, 12:48 pm

family water villa vs two basic water villas?

All - could use some advise, having spent time on the wiki and studying the resort map. As way of review, family of four (kids are 16/18), late June travel, 3 night stay as we are using the resort largely to chill and get over jetlag before taking a two-week holiday in Sri Lanka. Both adults are Diamond members.

1) First inclination was family water villa, prepaid raise is around $1,100 USD including breakfast. So far, so good.
2) Noticed that I have a sufficient points balance to fund one water villa for the three night stay. Breakfast included as Diamond benefit. Figured, "ok, cool, I'll just book another water villa for <$500 prepaid and save some cash."
3) But, several things give me pause. First, does the FWV have one bathroom or two?
4) Second, the WVs look really close to shore and rather scrunched together. Is this truly the case? Plus there's the issue of units 325-327 which rest at an angle...though visiting in low season we might be able to confirm units 329/330?

I'm not looking to economize per se, but I'm also cognizant that I have virtually no other use for my 300k points. Any other suggestions for somebody taking their first visit here?

Thanks in advance - Jamie
Old Oct 18, 2018, 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by jgor123
Apologies, forgot to post this earlier -

High & Festive Seasons (01 Oct through 11 May):
Beach Villa to Superior Water Villa 73.92
Beach Villa to Deluxe Water Villa 474.32
Beach Villa to Retreat Water Villa 588.59
Beach Villa to Premier Water Villa 1448.84
the bolded rate seems a bit of an outlier for a peak season, no?
Old Oct 18, 2018, 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by jamienbaker
All - could use some advise, having spent time on the wiki and studying the resort map. As way of review, family of four (kids are 16/18), late June travel, 3 night stay as we are using the resort largely to chill and get over jetlag before taking a two-week holiday in Sri Lanka. Both adults are Diamond members.

1) First inclination was family water villa, prepaid raise is around $1,100 USD including breakfast. So far, so good.
2) Noticed that I have a sufficient points balance to fund one water villa for the three night stay. Breakfast included as Diamond benefit. Figured, "ok, cool, I'll just book another water villa for <$500 prepaid and save some cash."
3) But, several things give me pause. First, does the FWV have one bathroom or two?
4) Second, the WVs look really close to shore and rather scrunched together. Is this truly the case? Plus there's the issue of units 325-327 which rest at an angle...though visiting in low season we might be able to confirm units 329/330?

I'm not looking to economize per se, but I'm also cognizant that I have virtually no other use for my 300k points. Any other suggestions for somebody taking their first visit here?

Thanks in advance - Jamie
One bathroom.
Yes, pretty close together and very close to shore on the sunrise side, a little better on the other side (but the water is very shallow on the other side but have fish swimming round).
Doesn't matter what season, no way to confirm units so don't factor this into your decision.

Suggestion: Put the Rangali stay at the end of your trip, not at the beginning.....unless, that is, you stay in OWVs regularly. You'll most probably need to relax after 2 weeks in Sri Lanka.
Second suggestion: use the points to stay an extra 3 nights in a standard BV (they can accommodate 4 adults now, you'll have to pay for the extra person charge but that's not much) and do this at the beginning of your stay. It will be such a better experience and you might be pleasantly surprised and get upgraded to the FWV for those 3 nights.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 1:55 pm

One bathroom.
Yes, pretty close together and very close to shore on the sunrise side, a little better on the other side (but the water is very shallow on the other side but have fish swimming round).
Doesn't matter what season, no way to confirm units so don't factor this into your decision.

Suggestion: Put the Rangali stay at the end of your trip, not at the beginning.....unless, that is, you stay in OWVs regularly. You'll most probably need to relax after 2 weeks in Sri Lanka.
Second suggestion: use the points to stay an extra 3 nights in a standard BV (they can accommodate 4 adults now, you'll have to pay for the extra person charge but that's not much) and do this at the beginning of your stay. It will be such a better experience and you might be pleasantly surprised and get upgraded to the FWV for those 3 nights.
I appreciate the input. And the idea of tacking Maldives at the end of the Sri Lanka trip is a good one, save for the fact that we don't have much flexibility on flights (I'm originating in Paris, family starts in New York, and our return from CMB is in Qatar QSuites which we're all really excited about. Reversing the schedule simply doesn't work with the Emirates/Qatar flight schedules).

I'll check out the rates of the BV. Goal is to check the box on an overwater experience, since we've not done that yet.

Sounds like the FWV is much better location than the WVs. Pity about no second bathroom, but that's not a dealbreaker.

Thanks again!
Old Oct 18, 2018, 2:03 pm

You're welcome. Let me know whether you end up doing 6 nights and if you want recommendations for what to eat while there.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 2:12 pm

You're welcome. Let me know whether you end up doing 6 nights and if you want recommendations for what to eat while there.
I'm really 99.5% certain we're sticking with 3 nights. That said, I'd LOVE some input on dining. We arrive in MLE on a Wednesday, around 1530. So we'll presumably be on the last seaplane out, and will want dinner once we arrive. We are departing Saturday on a 1630 flight, so should have time for breakfast or even a somewhat early lunch assuming we can store our bags somewhere. We're not big breakfast eaters, but enjoy leisurely lunches and leisurely dinners. Adults are foodies and enjoy good wine, kids (16/18) are a bit less adventurous and would probably be happy taking one of their dinners in the villa...as the novelty of room service has yet to wear off for them. No budget for meals.

No obligation, but since we're tight on time AND since you offered, I'm perfectly happy letting you plan our culinary adventure!

Hope to repay the favor, let me know if you ever go to Bali. That's been our go-to family vacation place for ages.

Jamie
Old Oct 18, 2018, 2:26 pm

I mean when is your stay? What are the dates you were quoted the rates for?
Mar 12 - Mar 17, 2019
Old Oct 18, 2018, 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by jamienbaker
I'm really 99.5% certain we're sticking with 3 nights. That said, I'd LOVE some input on dining. We arrive in MLE on a Wednesday, around 1530. So we'll presumably be on the last seaplane out, and will want dinner once we arrive. We are departing Saturday on a 1630 flight, so should have time for breakfast or even a somewhat early lunch assuming we can store our bags somewhere. We're not big breakfast eaters, but enjoy leisurely lunches and leisurely dinners. Adults are foodies and enjoy good wine, kids (16/18) are a bit less adventurous and would probably be happy taking one of their dinners in the villa...as the novelty of room service has yet to wear off for them. No budget for meals.

No obligation, but since we're tight on time AND since you offered, I'm perfectly happy letting you plan our culinary adventure!

Hope to repay the favor, let me know if you ever go to Bali. That's been our go-to family vacation place for ages.

Jamie
Such a shame that you're arriving fairly late in the day however that won't affect your first night's dinner.

First question: Are you turned on or off at the thought of dining in Ithaa? If you're keen and have never had that kind of experience, then do lunch. The reason I suggest lunch is because a lot of the restaurants aren't open for lunch so if you do Ithaa for lunch that will open up a dinner slot for you at one of the other locations.

Here's what I would do;
Wed evening: Dinner at Mandhoo
Thur lunch: Ithaa (if not, then Rangali Bar)
Thur evening: Dinner at Vilu
Fri lunch: Mandhoo
Fri dinner: Sunset Grill
Sat lunch: The Quiet Zone

This way you'll maximize your F&B experience at the resort. Note that you'll want to book Ithaa, Mandhoo, Vilu and Sunset Grill at least a week out. No sense planning such a short stay and having your dining options limited by there being no tables because you didn't pre-book everything. Just email the Pre-Bookings Co-ordinator. The email is in the wiki.

Thanks for your offer to give advice on Bali. We haven't been there yet so I might take you up on that. :-)
Old Oct 18, 2018, 9:36 pm

Curious about the Sunset Grill as the hours posted online show that it opens at 1900 hrs. Today sunset happened at 1751 hrs, so why do they call it Sunset Grill if it opens an hour after sunset?
Old Oct 19, 2018, 5:43 am

I guess they're an hour ahead, so sunset happened at 18.51 for them. So only 9 minutes out

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.