Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Best Strategies for Receiving an Upgrade" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Best Strategies for Receiving an Upgrade" thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2019, 3:41 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Since I posted over a year ago the upgrades I can recall are:

- HGI Detroit Metro Airport
- HGI New Orleans Convention Center
- Waldorf Astoria Orlando. This was the only one that really mattered as it was a suite upgrade on a three night stay.

Pretty dry out there.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 4:40 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold; IHG Spire Elite
Thumbs down Diamond downgrade

I was travelling with a tour group- I know I'm not entitled to anything.
We checked into the DT Yerevan and I was given a large king room on a high floor. As our group checked out I told the front desk I was Diamond. She said that I would get 1k points per night (which I did). I told her I was returning in a day for another two day stay. When we returned I was put in a small room with two twin beds on a low floor. Guess I shouldn't have mentioned my status. Seems like I was downgraded.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 7:41 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
In the past month, I've been upgraded at the Conrad New York Downtown (Deluxe King to Hudson River view suite ), the Conrad Koh Samui (Waterview Pool villa to Ocean Retreat Pool villa) , and the Conrad Centennial Singapore (Deluxe King to Centennial Suite). They exist.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 7:46 pm

Programs: HH Lifetime diamond. AA gold
No Upgrades Lifetime Diamond

Hi:

Rarely received an upgrade as a Diamond. No Acknowledgement as a Lifetime Diamond either. With over sixty nights last year only received one upgrade.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by Sterlingguy
I was travelling with a tour group- I know I'm not entitled to anything.
We checked into the DT Yerevan and I was given a large king room on a high floor. As our group checked out I told the front desk I was Diamond. She said that I would get 1k points per night (which I did). I told her I was returning in a day for another two day stay. When we returned I was put in a small room with two twin beds on a low floor. Guess I shouldn't have mentioned my status. Seems like I was downgraded.
What class of room had you booked? Did you ask for an upgrade?
Old Jul 31, 2019, 7:50 pm

Location: ATL - DL DM/3MM - HH Lifetime Diamond - Marriott Lifetime Plat
This isn’t really rocket science - whenever I pull up to a hotel, I go to the Hilton web site and see what rooms are available to be booked. If there is a nice upgrade I would want, I ask at the desk if there are upgrades available. 9 times out of 10, I am given an upgrade to what I’ve seen available on line.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 1:16 am

Programs: Velocity Gold, AIRNZ Elite, Qantas Silver ,Hilton Diamond
No upgrade

Originally Posted by Geneaudio
Hi:

Rarely received an upgrade as a Diamond. No Acknowledgement as a Lifetime Diamond either. With over sixty nights last year only received one upgrade.
USA hotel not Asia I assume ?
Old Aug 1, 2019, 8:04 am

Programs: HertzPresCircle, Virgin Atlantic Gold,Hil-Diam, Europcar Elite Vip, Emirates Gold, MarriottTitanium.
The question is; why do asian hotels do it right and make yu feel appreciated with either upgrades or just a nice gesture and in the USA they couldnt care less where as in Usa its always about customer satisfaction/service?
Old Aug 1, 2019, 8:09 am

Originally Posted by itisme
The question is; why do asian hotels do it right and make yu feel appreciated with either upgrades or just a nice gesture and in the USA they couldn’t care less where as in Usa it’s always about customer satisfaction/service?
Because there are fewer Golds and Diamonds in Asia.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 9:13 am

Programs: Velocity Gold, AIRNZ Elite, Qantas Silver ,Hilton Diamond
More gold and diamonds in the USA

Originally Posted by IndyHoosier
Because there are fewer Golds and Diamonds in Asia.
do you think the main reasons are
1: the American are wealthier
2: travel more
3: the hilton credit card
4: the americans are more loyal to one brand
5: American companies spend more on hotels
6: there are more hotels in the USA
7: hotels are cheaper in the USA so people use them more frequently
8: American use the hotels for day stays

Old Aug 1, 2019, 9:53 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
I stay mainly with Hilton in Asia and get upgraded 100% of the time-about 40% of the time to suites. In addition, for the destinations that I frequent, I find the Hilton properties nicer than Marriott or Hyatt at the same price point. Upgrades in Europe are harder, but I usually still get what I want.

In the US, I just don't care. I don't vacation in the US, and a Hampton Inn is fine for almost everything I need for a business trip. I have started to loathe the giant metropolitan properties in the US like the San Francisco Marriott Marquis or the Grand Hyatt in NYC-access to a club is just not that important. I very much prefer smaller properties now for business trips.

Originally Posted by brentyb

What I do appreciate is being able to book the cheapest/lowest class room and know that I will 95% of the time be moved to a more preferred room.
+1 This is me. I have to cover all of my expenses when traveling for business, so I really only care about getting a good room for an excellent price. What is very nice is that I often exploit the flash sales in Asia and, even though I may have paid only Yen 15,000-/nt for my room at the Hilton Tokyo, they will still upgrade me to an outstanding room and sometimes a suite-and this for a long stay of 10 nts or more.
Beano likes this.

Last edited by zombietooth; Aug 1, 2019 at 11:34 pm
Old Aug 1, 2019, 2:31 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG SA
Originally Posted by Beano

I would choice 3 maybe 2 as well
Old Aug 9, 2019, 7:25 am

Programs: UA 1.65M , Platinum, 1K Emeritus, UC Lifetime , HHonors Gold, Presidential Plus card holder
Originally Posted by Beano

9: Marketing - HHonors likely higher percentage of western membership
10: Marketing - which platforms are Hilton hotels on, do they have a good position on local booking platforms
11: Marketing - how is it sold, who is it sold to & is it sold as a familiar space in a foreign culture ( I want to immerse myself in this unfamiliar culture - until its time to go to bed)
12: Marketing - Corporate sales (and relationships) versus family sales

Upgrades are a function of availability and demand - A United top Premier has a higher chance of an upgrade flying out of Charleston SC than that same Premier out of San Francisco
Old Aug 15, 2019, 1:20 pm

This likely has been asked already, though can't readily find the discussion:

Can hotels see if you're Diamond via nights or Diamond via AmEx?

Also, having trouble even getting a room on a high floor.

Thanks for any input.

-MB
bhrubin likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 2:11 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
Diamond is a Diamond desk could care less

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.