Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Best Strategies for Receiving an Upgrade" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Best Strategies for Receiving an Upgrade" thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2020, 10:01 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Originally Posted by Cat88L3
This is exactly why I do my research on the hotel rooms beforehand. Trust and believe that I know the best rooms ( floors, wings, sections, views) for the room categories that I want. When I ask for an upgrade, I give some specifics. It's been working for me so far for the past 10 years.
I agree. It's because I already generally know the best views etc, but the check-in folks have that deer in the headlights look if you start talking about the actual direction the room is facing. They are just clueless.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 2:24 pm

Programs: MP, Marriott, HHonors
Originally Posted by arlflyer
Ever been to Germany? The post from craz upthread is spot on - they'll "upgrade" you to the same room with a robe and pair of slippers in the closet. That's the most I've ever gotten in weeks of Diamond stays, including during absolutely dead periods (e.g. at business hotels around the holidays).
But you need that robe when they only give you one bath towel! :-D
Global Adventurer likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by IAN-UK

The joy of Diamond and Hilton is you are more or less assured of a free breakfast whatever brand you stay at; and where lounges exist, you get no quibble access. The space may be filled with family groups picnicking on the cheap, and the food is likely of the low-end comfort variety, but at least you'll get a drink
In my 3 years (maybe 4?) of being a diamond, I've never seen a lounge that had food before, and the ones that had alcohol charged for it! But I travel mostly domestic....
Old Jan 24, 2020, 4:52 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
Well update. I have now had two upgrades. Both in Pa. One at a Embassy Suites in Philadelphia, and a Hampton Inn in Lebanon Pa. It is off season.

Karatelovr I have only been in one hotel that had executive lounge and it was in Houston. It served breakfast and had snacks throughout the day. You can get drinks throughout the day as well.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 8:04 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
Originally Posted by karatelovr
In my 3 years (maybe 4?) of being a diamond, I've never seen a lounge that had food before, and the ones that had alcohol charged for it! But I travel mostly domestic....
You need to travel across the pond my friend. Free canapés and alcohol beverages at most Hilton’s in Asia, diamond status is really amazing out here
IndyHoosier and DC9 like this.
Old Jan 25, 2020, 5:39 am

Originally Posted by KevTN
Well update. I have now had two upgrades. Both in Pa. One at a Embassy Suites in Philadelphia, and a Hampton Inn in Lebanon Pa. It is off season.

Karatelovr I have only been in one hotel that had executive lounge and it was in Houston. It served breakfast and had snacks throughout the day. You can get drinks throughout the day as well.
Welcome to PA! I live not far from those locations!
I'm headed to Houston in about a week and haven't booked a hotel for the weekend part of my trip. What is your suggestion?
Old Jan 25, 2020, 6:16 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles
Originally Posted by karatelovr
Welcome to PA! I live not far from those locations!
I'm headed to Houston in about a week and haven't booked a hotel for the weekend part of my trip. What is your suggestion?
Houston NASA/Clear Lake. Old Hilton but clean bed was comfortable. If you can get on the lake side good view. Safe travels.
Old Jan 25, 2020, 11:57 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
I find these Diamond upgrade threads to be humorous. In the last five years, after trying every conceivable strategy short of bribes and threats of violence, I have received exactly zero upgrades. Before that, I can think of exactly 5 times that I got an upgrade, three of those on the same road trip booked by Diamond Desk, and I have been Diamond for at least 10 years. I can't even get an Executive Floor upgrade. I think there is a banner that comes up on the booking screen that says, "Say, 'I'm sorry that is not available.' Repeat as necessary." Heck, I have had to go back down to the desk and get changed to a room type that I booked. I have been put in rooms with a Christmas party set up in the hall outside my door. I have gotten a room that backed up the the breakfast prep area. I have tried to check in on the app and seen the dreaded no rooms available for check in (regular or upgrade) and instructions to check in at the front desk. However, I am darned sure to get a "paid" upgrade come on at least half of the time.
Old Jan 25, 2020, 12:07 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
I find these Diamond upgrade threads to be humorous. In the last five years, after trying every conceivable strategy short of bribes and threats of violence, I have received exactly zero upgrades. Before that, I can think of exactly 5 times that I got an upgrade, three of those on the same road trip booked by Diamond Desk, and I have been Diamond for at least 10 years. I can't even get an Executive Floor upgrade. I think there is a banner that comes up on the booking screen that says, "Say, 'I'm sorry that is not available.' Repeat as necessary." Heck, I have had to go back down to the desk and get changed to a room type that I booked. I have been put in rooms with a Christmas party set up in the hall outside my door. I have gotten a room that backed up the the breakfast prep area. I have tried to check in on the app and seen the dreaded no rooms available for check in (regular or upgrade) and instructions to check in at the front desk. However, I am darned sure to get a "paid" upgrade come on at least half of the time.

​​​​​​In my 14 months as a Diamond member, I have been upgraded at each and every Hilton hotel that I have stayed in. I've only stayed at Hilton and Conrad brands. So the upgrade system does work. I've had about 7 different hotel stays all at different locations (domestic USA and international)
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2020, 12:29 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Cat88L3, Works for you.
Old Mar 3, 2020, 5:42 pm

I’m Lifetime Diamond and I rarely get upgrades. Suggestions?

Any suggestions? I place a note in the reservation to “ please upgrade, if available.” I also ask at check in, to no avail. Why have the status if the upgrades are rare?
Old Mar 3, 2020, 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by Emmett Ervin
Any suggestions? I place a note in the reservation to “ please upgrade, if available.” I also ask at check in, to no avail. Why have the status if the upgrades are rare?
Only you can answer that question. LD status is no different than regular Diamond status. Not sure what you’re expecting.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 2:49 am

Programs: HH Diamond, GHA Titanium
Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
In the last five years, after trying every conceivable strategy short of bribes and threats of violence, I have received exactly zero upgrades.
Originally Posted by Cat88L3
​​​​​​In my 14 months as a Diamond member, I have been upgraded at each and every Hilton hotel that I have stayed in. I've only stayed at Hilton and Conrad brands.
Zero upgrades in 5 years as Diamond really sounds a little unbelievable. Or maybe it's just that the hotels that you stay in just don't do upgrades? My experience as Diamond is the same as Cat88L3's: 100% upgrades* in Hilton / DoubleTree / Conrad (0% at HGI, but they don't have upgrades as an official perk anyway).

* Of course, "upgrade" can be as little as "high floor room" in some properties. But technically still an upgrade.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 6:23 am

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
in Asia, diamond status is really amazing out here
Also much harder to get, with no credit card giveaway and few of the cheaper HamptonInn possibilities (though some countries are cheaper than others

I also find better treatment in cities where there are multiple Hilton properties - if it's only one much higher proportion of elites. And many properties will treat their individual frequent stayers better than a first time Diamond.

And be carefully about pushing too hard with the front desk/ manager, you may end up being classified in the system as a demanding or difficult guest.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 9:03 am

Programs: AA LT PLT (3.6+ MM), UA 1K LT Gold, Hilton LT Diamond, Bonvoy Gold.
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
There is third option, which is when you start the check-in process, after you have chosen the arrival time,a room suggestion comes up immediately, which is an upgraded room and message to that effect. The room type is also visible at this point, and you can compare it to what you booked originally against Hilton.com's list of room types. There is a second option on that screen which allows you to choose another room, and there may well be other upgraded room options. Again the room type is specified and can be compared against what is booked.

For the two options you are referring to, if you "select own room" then again you should be shown the room type. Bear in mind that most upgrades are a single jump, so perhaps from a Queen Room to the Queen Deluxe - many people wouldn't notice the difference. But if you look at the Hilton.com room types there is a clear hierarchy laid out there.

If you instead use the floor map instead of the room tabular listing, you may notice a small up arrow symbol on available rooms, indicating they are upgrades. This is inconsistent, I've seen it come and go even in the same hotel a short time apart, so I suspect someone needs to correctly press particular buttons to make it happen.

Finally if you go to the My Stay tab, you will see the room type: this particular field will update to whatever the current upgraded room offering is, typically a day or so before arrival. This is a seamless change, so you need to recall what you booked or look at the original email booking to see whether this is actually an upgrade.

Just be aware of some "upgrades" are not what they seem - so for example going from a Queen to a Twin Premium room - this is an upgrade but not if you wanted the larger bed!

I have never seen that option. You must be special!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.