Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Best Strategies for Receiving an Upgrade" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Best Strategies for Receiving an Upgrade" thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2020, 1:34 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry
I'm not sure how much it helps, but it sure can't hurt being there sooner vs later. If you roll in at 8pm, they probably handed out any available upgrades already.
m.photog likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2020, 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by arlflyer
Agree with Wally, plus one addendum - have a dummy booking queued you in the app when you walk to the desk. Like for your exact nights, with results showing. That way you have what is needed to call them out when they pull the “We are booked solid” line - “Oh really, that is interesting, I see five categories of suites for sale on the nights I’ll be staying.” It isn’t the friendliest approach, but neither is them lying to you. It often leads to an embarrassed agent, a discussion with a manager, and an upgrade.
I use the exact method, and get the same results

Most of the tips you will receive cut across status upgrades in all hotel chains.

Have the app available rooms ready to show them should they say nothing is available
If they say the app is broken or not updated, I always ask what will happen if I buy this higher class room?
I usually buy one level below what I want, when they say the category above mine is sold out, I push for the next level or a refund to the lower category.
If they give a fake upgrade, perhaps the same room on a higher floor or a category that they do not sell on the app, ask for the GM to call you ( get details) when he/she gets in. That always seems to get them motivated. In the few times I actually met with the GM , I always was successful in both the upgrade and having that ongoing contact to call if any issues come up in the future.
Don't feel embarrassed asking for your Diamond benefits, they set the rules not you.
Cat88L3 likes this.

Last edited by elusive1; Jan 2, 2020 at 2:31 pm
Old Jan 3, 2020, 3:43 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Originally Posted by Ryanardo_daVinci
Also, longer duration stays have an exponentially lower chance of getting an upgrade.

1 night - easy upgrade, very unlikely to sell that room
so why not give it out to someone who appreciates it.

2 nights - probably ok, especially if there are a few of each type available.

3+ nights, they will be banking on being able to sell the room in night 3 and onwards so even if there is availability they will be reluctant to give it out.

Also, I’m sure you’ve done your reading around the rest of the forum, but upgrades are waaaayy more common outside of the US. My travel is 50% UK, 40% Middle East, 10% Europe, usually 1 night at a time as I move around a lot, I get upgraded 80% of the time. 20% of the time it is a significant upgrade.
I have a 20 night stay at the Al Seef Heritage Hotel, Curio by Hilton in Dubai later this month, and I guess I probably won't receive an upgrade considering my stay is long term.

I'll be back to post my results, and also add my experience in the hotel specific thread for the hotel. The price I snagged was marvelous compared to the going rate, so if I'm snubbed, at least I know I didn't pay anything close to the average price since Hilton has the Middle-east sale going on. Another thing, it's right off the creek in old town, so I'm happy about that if nothing else.
wally5505 likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 9:32 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond
I can definitely attest that the nicest upgrades I have gotten have all been for one night stays. Once you get past two nights, the "upgrades" tend to be modest such as Executive level, higher floor, better view
linsj, IndyHoosier and KevTN like this.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 9:43 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Originally Posted by Miesque
I can definitely attest that the nicest upgrades I have gotten have all been for one night stays. Once you get past two nights, the "upgrades" tend to be modest such as Executive level, higher floor, better view
I don't recall ever staying in a hotel for just one night. It's always multiple nights. But, you are right, the only upgrades I've ever received were high floors and views, not an actual room type upgrade.
KevTN likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 7:06 pm

Programs: AA EXPlat, 2.4MM; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by sfgiants13
I've always wanted to try it but I've never had the stones to. Then again I seem to have slightly better luck with upgrades since my stays are shorter and on slower days. My usual "upgrade" at non Euro/Asian properties is an executive room. But in countries like China and Canada I get a suite upgrade almost every time. It really does have a lot to do with a specific property and I typically won't stay at properties that have a history of that BS approach to upgrades.
And of course U.S. properties are far stingier that those in other countries.
wizla, MoodyB and KevTN like this.
Old Jan 4, 2020, 4:54 am

Originally Posted by catcher1
And of course U.S. properties are far stingier that those in other countries.
Ever been to Germany? The post from craz upthread is spot on - they'll "upgrade" you to the same room with a robe and pair of slippers in the closet. That's the most I've ever gotten in weeks of Diamond stays, including during absolutely dead periods (e.g. at business hotels around the holidays).
redpalmetto likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2020, 6:59 am
Suspended

My personal experience is:

1, Don't do online check-in if you are counting on a random upgrade from front desk
2, Don't expect a meaningful upgrade as there are too many D (Diamond), MD (Matched Diamond) and CCD (Credit Card Diamond) around. Not to mention the ever growing population of bean counters hotel management around the globe.

Hilton used to be great. But with the 1, floating redemption (inflation!) 2, Continental breakfast and charge for hot breakfast crap and 3, Hiltons has below par executive lounges or removing lounges, I am going to stick with IHG now.
Old Jan 4, 2020, 6:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by chongcao
Hiltons has below par executive lounges or removing lounges, I am going to stick with IHG now.
Good luck with that strategy - unless, of course you are happy to pay for club access.

Intercontinental lounges are far, far nicer and much more classy than the Hilton equivalents. But you're invited to enter only if you are a Royal Ambassador: otherwise you pay.

Even if you are top of the roost Spire Royal Ambassador you don't get breakfast or lounge access at Holiday Inns or Crowne Plazas, whatever your status. There are rare but welcome exceptions to this, mostly in Asia.

The joy of Diamond and Hilton is you are more or less assured of a free breakfast whatever brand you stay at; and where lounges exist, you get no quibble access. The space may be filled with family groups picnicking on the cheap, and the food is likely of the low-end comfort variety, but at least you'll get a drink
Old Jan 4, 2020, 10:15 pm

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
....The joy of Diamond and Hilton is you are more or less assured of a free breakfast whatever brand you stay at; and where lounges exist, you get no quibble access. The space may be filled with family groups picnicking on the cheap, and the food is likely of the low-end comfort variety, but at least you'll get a drink
That's my main reason for being loyal to Hilton. Ain't nothing worse than waking up in the morning in your hotel room and deciding if you want to pay $15+ for breakfast at the hotel or wander around the area looking for something more reasonable.

It's just wonderful to wake up knowing you have breakfast waiting for you between 6am -10, so you can take your time getting ready for the day, and in the meantime drink some complimentary tea or coffee in your room.

The only IHG properties I book is Holiday Inn, just for the breakfast. No way I'm paying for breakfast on top of what I already paid for.

So, Hilton it is. And Marriott rates can be outrageous and still don't include breakfast. 🤪
Old Jan 5, 2020, 2:41 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
Good luck with that strategy - unless, of course you are happy to pay for club access.

Intercontinental lounges are far, far nicer and much more classy than the Hilton equivalents. But you're invited to enter only if you are a Royal Ambassador: otherwise you pay.

Even if you are top of the roost Spire Royal Ambassador you don't get breakfast or lounge access at Holiday Inns or Crowne Plazas, whatever your status. There are rare but welcome exceptions to this, mostly in Asia.

The joy of Diamond and Hilton is you are more or less assured of a free breakfast whatever brand you stay at; and where lounges exist, you get no quibble access. The space may be filled with family groups picnicking on the cheap, and the food is likely of the low-end comfort variety, but at least you'll get a drink
Thanks, I am well aware of that.

But my most travel places are USA, Asia and Australia.

In USA, Holiday Inn Express is perfect and generally cheaper than Hilton equivalent when using cash or points. In some of the Hilton I visited, the hotel charges for full breakfast for being diamond, or charge for alcoholic drinks in the lounge happy hour. I don't need that. It is like, yes I am give your free breakfast, but only the cold one. I will give you lounges, but this is $8 for a beer plus gratuities please. It spoils the game. Plus, since many US Hiltons are removing the lounges, yet no drinks voucher giving to compensate. It is increasingly become a lottery draw to guess which Hilton has a lounge (figuratively speaking). In that case, I would rather stay with someone I know I would get nothing in return which is far cheaper.

In Asia, being Spire and Ambassador, I get free Club lounge in CP and now Intercontinental in China is giving Ambassador a free breakfast. Holiday Inn bed and breakfast rate is far cheaper than a full service Hilton in where I travel to.

In Australia, well, you can count the number of Hilton hotels using one hand. The quality of lounges in Australia is not bad.

So, after balancing everything out, Hilton is a good second choice program. I found IHG is still better. I generally avoid IC brand as I know one would not get Club lounge unless pay for the lounge. But I am happy to choose Holiday Inn Express in USA, Holiday Inn with breakfast rate in Europe and CP in Asia. I don't go to ME that much as you, but from your report, I think Hilton is better in that region for guaranteed benefit.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 4:58 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
Well I am going to try out the no log in one night situation tomorrow. One problem it will be at a Hampton so it is a crap shoot if they have any suites, but I am going to give it shot and let you know. Next few weeks will prob. be at Hamptons because small towns in Ga, Pa, and Mi.

I would like to say thank you for everyone who gave their input. I do appreciate it.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 5:14 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by KevTN
Well I am going to try out the no log in one night situation tomorrow but I am going to give it shot and let you know. Next few weeks will prob. be at Hamptons because small towns in Ga, Pa, and Mi.

I would like to say thank you for everyone who gave their input. I do appreciate it.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the Hampton Inn properties don't even do upgrades for Diamonds
Old Jan 5, 2020, 8:17 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Hilton Honors, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Originally Posted by Cat88L3
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the Hampton Inn properties don't even do upgrades for Diamonds
It's not a stated benefit.

However, whenever I worked the morning shift and there were fewer Diamonds in standard Kings than available King suites, I'd just assign them the suites.

I've seen a fair number of posts indicating that upgrade chances are better at Hampton than at the other flags in the US.
Cat88L3 likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 11:27 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Cat88L3
In Hamptons that have upgraded inventory I have probably been upgraded 50% of the time over the last 10 years. I always put in the comments "Req Avl Dmd Upgrd. Thank you!" and if I am really hoping to get an upgrade to a particular room type (it's easy enough to see what sort of rooms they have when doing a booking) I specify that too -- and the day before check in opens I send a fax (yes, a fax) to the hotel nicely requesting.
Cat88L3, wizla and hhdl like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.