Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Best Strategies for Receiving an Upgrade" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Best Strategies for Receiving an Upgrade" thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2019, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
Isn't there an alternative though, I am sure there used to be, there is also a discounted upsell to the Imperial Club.
I've heard about that as well, but I don't know if they still offer a discount for DIAs. But you can upsell and you can try to get a NOR1 to an Imperial room.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 12:05 am

Programs: HH Diamond, GHA Titanium
Originally Posted by ozztraveller
They can see how many nights you have stayed at their hotel and in fact any hotel in the chain.
That's interesting to know. I guess as a fake diamond (i.e. status challenge'd one) I'd better just take what I can get and not make a fuss when nothing comes my way

Having said that, I'm at 7 stays so far in the last 2 months and 100% on upgrades (3/7 suite) in south east asia.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 4:38 am
Moderator: Avianca, Travel Photography, Travel Technology & USA

Programs: Emeritus VIP Fromins Deli Encino grandfathered successor program - UA MM & HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ozztraveller
They can see how many nights you have stayed at their hotel and in fact any hotel in the chain.
In theory yes, in practice if they bother. I stay at an ES in the Atlanta area about 4 times a year, over the last decade. Every single check-in generates the same "Is this your first time at our hotel" question. I answered this week, "no, about 45 times", to the surprise of the agent. This lack of simple due diligence constantly irks me. They at least give the usual ungenuine thanks for being a diamond speil, while assigning me to a standard room (they do have about a dozen enhanced suites) .
arlflyer likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 7:05 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Moderator2
In theory yes, in practice if they bother. I stay at an ES in the Atlanta area about 4 times a year, over the last decade. Every single check-in generates the same "Is this your first time at our hotel" question. I answered this week, "no, about 45 times", to the surprise of the agent. This lack of simple due diligence constantly irks me. They at least give the usual ungenuine thanks for being a diamond speil, while assigning me to a standard room (they do have about a dozen enhanced suites) .
This irritates me as well when I am checking into somewhere I have stayed many times sometimes literally the last stay was just a few days or a week prior.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 12:44 pm

Programs: Airlines - Only in the pointy end on points, Hilton Diamond
Diamond upgrades are alive and well at the Hilton Vienna Plaza.

Booked a base King Room on a flash sale rate.

Now sitting on the balcony of the Penthouse Presidential Suite enjoying a few drinks from the local convenience store.

Walkthrough video if anyone is interested. I did miss the bathroom and one of the dressing rooms.

Sisosig and IndyHoosier like this.

Last edited by SponsorSFC; Aug 22, 2019 at 1:10 am
Old Aug 22, 2019, 1:08 am

So far this year I’ve got an upgrade at every (100%) stay in Europe, Japan and Singapore, none (0%) in Thailand, partially in other countries.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 5:47 am

Originally Posted by Moderator2
Every single check-in generates the same "Is this your first time at our hotel" question. I answered this week, "no, about 45 times", to the surprise of the agent.
I get this all the time, at both Hilton and Marriott properties.

Agent: "Have you stayed with us before?"

Me: "I checked out four days ago. You checked me in last week, too."

Agent: *Feigns surprise, looks at monitor* "Oh wow, you certainly travel a lot, X nights already this year!"

Me: "Yes, Monday to Thursday, like most people in my line of work. Just part of the job."

Agent: "Ok then, here are your keys."

Me: "Any chance at an upgrade? I see you have four different categories of suites for sale during the time I'll be with you."

Agent: "Uh, no, that's crazy, we've been sold out for weeks, erp..."

Me: "I'm looking at your app right now."

Agent: "Have a nice stay!!!"
Old Aug 25, 2019, 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by arlflyer
I get this all the time, at both Hilton and Marriott properties.

Agent: "Have you stayed with us before?"

Me: "I checked out four days ago. You checked me in last week, too."

Agent: *Feigns surprise, looks at monitor* "Oh wow, you certainly travel a lot, X nights already this year!"

Me: "Yes, Monday to Thursday, like most people in my line of work. Just part of the job."

Agent: "Ok then, here are your keys."

Me: "Any chance at an upgrade? I see you have four different categories of suites for sale during the time I'll be with you."

Agent: "Uh, no, that's crazy, we've been sold out for weeks, erp..."

Me: "I'm looking at your app right now."

Agent: "Have a nice stay!!!"

Empty rooms on the app are not the same as rooms available for upgrade. It looks like there were empty rooms, but the hotel's revenue management system was telling them not to release them for complimentary upgrade. There could be a number of reasons for that.
Old Aug 25, 2019, 8:58 pm

Originally Posted by retiredfromhilton
Empty rooms on the app are not the same as rooms available for upgrade. It looks like there were empty rooms, but the hotel's revenue management system was telling them not to release them for complimentary upgrade. There could be a number of reasons for that.
And which can easily be overridden, as you well know.
dc_traveler and arlflyer like this.
Old Dec 27, 2019, 6:01 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
New Diamond: Strategies for receiving room upgrades?

This is the first year I have recieved any status as I started a new job traveling every week. I am a Diamond Member. My question may seem silly but hey.

Do you have to ask to get room upgrade? I know some properties do not have upgraded rooms, but for those who do, is there a way to increase the odds of getting one?

Thanks
Happy New Year!
Old Dec 27, 2019, 6:22 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors Diamond
I would advise a couple things:

1) Check the mobile app sometime in the morning of your check-in. Sometimes you are already upgraded. In my experience, this seems to be the better run hotels that do this. I could be mistaken on the "why" part, but that is just my experience.
2) If you are not upgraded when you check on the app, do not do the mobile check-in (where you select a room). That, from personal experience and reading on here, seems to make the process of upgrading a bit more of a pain for the front desk, thus, it seems to reduce chances of an upgrade.
3) If you do not get one, it never hurts to say "Hey, I am just curious, is there any chance of getting a diamond upgrade?" when you are at the front desk. Being polite goes a long, long, long way. People love doing stuff for people when people really appreciate it. I think that is the best advice that I can offer.
4) Of course, there will be times when you do not get an upgrade. Depending on the types of hotels, locations, day of the week, events in town, etc., there may be times where you are not able to be upgraded.
5) Sometimes you will be surprised and get really good upgrades that are beyond the one-step upgrade (props to my favorite hotel in terms of service: The Walforf Astoria Chicago on this one!)
6) Bonus Tip - You will notice in the confirmation area that has a link for something in the line of "Hey, if available, would you pay $12 for X upgrade upon check-in?" - It seems the consensus is to skip this request unless you are fully willing to pay for the upgrade, which is weird because that is not a guarantee either.
7) A lot of times on these threads, people will say that the golden rule of upgrades is this: If there is a specific room type that you really want, the sure bet is to book that room type. Obviously free upgrades is awesome, so I understand the question. Just saying that people WILL give that advice on here for some situations where people are stressing about a specific upgrade (I know that is not what you meant though)!

I am sure I am forgetting a couple, but hopefully that helps. Have fun with your status! Wishing you all the best.
squeakr, rogo, BeckFly and 19 others like this.
Old Dec 28, 2019, 2:24 am

Programs: hhonors diamond
Originally Posted by wally5505
I would advise a couple things:

1) Check the mobile app sometime in the morning of your check-in. Sometimes you are already upgraded. In my experience, this seems to be the better run hotels that do this. I could be mistaken on the "why" part, but that is just my experience.
2) If you are not upgraded when you check on the app, do not do the mobile check-in (where you select a room). That, from personal experience and reading on here, seems to make the process of upgrading a bit more of a pain for the front desk, thus, it seems to reduce chances of an upgrade.
3) If you do not get one, it never hurts to say "Hey, I am just curious, is there any chance of getting a diamond upgrade?" when you are at the front desk. Being polite goes a long, long, long way. People love doing stuff for people when people really appreciate it. I think that is the best advice that I can offer.
4) Of course, there will be times when you do not get an upgrade. Depending on the types of hotels, locations, day of the week, events in town, etc., there may be times where you are not able to be upgraded.
5) Sometimes you will be surprised and get really good upgrades that are beyond the one-step upgrade (props to my favorite hotel in terms of service: The Walforf Astoria Chicago on this one!)
6) Bonus Tip - You will notice in the confirmation area that has a link for something in the line of "Hey, if available, would you pay $12 for X upgrade upon check-in?" - It seems the consensus is to skip this request unless you are fully willing to pay for the upgrade, which is weird because that is not a guarantee either.
7) A lot of times on these threads, people will say that the golden rule of upgrades is this: If there is a specific room type that you really want, the sure bet is to book that room type. Obviously free upgrades is awesome, so I understand the question. Just saying that people WILL give that advice on here for some situations where people are stressing about a specific upgrade (I know that is not what you meant though)!

I am sure I am forgetting a couple, but hopefully that helps. Have fun with your status! Wishing you all the best.
This is exactly the strategy I use and great advice.
MoodyB likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2019, 2:32 am

Agree with Wally, plus one addendum - have a dummy booking queued you in the app when you walk to the desk. Like for your exact nights, with results showing. That way you have what is needed to call them out when they pull the “We are booked solid” line - “Oh really, that is interesting, I see five categories of suites for sale on the nights I’ll be staying.” It isn’t the friendliest approach, but neither is them lying to you. It often leads to an embarrassed agent, a discussion with a manager, and an upgrade.
Old Dec 28, 2019, 2:59 am

Thanks folks. Been Diamond for a few months and yet to get an upgrade. Wasn’t sure what I needed to do. Thanks for the insight!
Emmett Ervin likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2019, 3:01 am

Thank you!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.