Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Best Strategies for Receiving an Upgrade" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Best Strategies for Receiving an Upgrade" thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2018, 7:37 pm

Programs: DL, Marriott & IHG Platty; HH Diamonte
Originally Posted by Phil the Flyer
Absolutely no problems for me securing upgrades at check-in. Virtually a 100% success rate.
Same here....for both gold and diamond status.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 7:54 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by pauleeepaul
What is that?

It's an actual piece of paper that, in my experience, hotel staff find it harder to ignore than an email (when you can actually find an email address for a particular property).
Old Mar 27, 2018, 8:12 pm

Programs: Delta DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite, Hyatt Globalist
Just posted in the Waldorf Astoria Park City thread, but was messaged from the hotel prior to our arrival tomorrow, thanked for being a diamond and was told I was upgraded to a two level 1 bedroom suite.

We've also generally had very good luck with upgrades. Recently received an upgrade to the Presidential Suite at Miramonte Resort (Curio Collection) and an upgrade to a junior suite at the Conrad Indianapolis.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 8:45 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
I don't travel to the US. I am told that I have been upgraded virtually all the time, but it is only a true upgrade about half the time (by which I mean either a suite or something substantially better than booked). The other half of the time it is just a marginally bigger room or nicer view.

My most recent stay at a Hampton, the front desk jokingly said they "upgraded" me by giving me what they said was the biggest room with more table space, and they said they will usually put Diamonds in that room unless there is a big family which books it
Old Mar 27, 2018, 9:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Marriott Gold is 50 nights, Hilton Diamond is 30 (as well as being available on 0 nights + the right credit card and spend).
Actually, Hilton Diamond is attained after 30 stays or 60 nights.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 2:30 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, TK Elite, Hilton Diamond
I have found that outside of the USA, we get some sort of upgrade almost every time, often with executive lounge access. We travel as 2 adults and 2 young children and sometimes I feel the upgrade at the front desk is out of pity when they see the 4 of us.

Overall, we have done very well as gold card holders (soon to be Diamond thanks to a challenge) and have no complaints.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 2:49 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by cblaisd
Same here. No complaints.
More or less the same experience here.

I also basically don't care about upgrades. Most of the time an upgrade just means space I won't use/don't need
Old Mar 28, 2018, 3:33 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I normally get upgraded, though it sometimes needs careful timing on the App check-in to either enable or disable the options. Here is the last thread I recall on Diamonds and upgrades:

Diamond yet never upgraded!

In it I tell an anecdote of a colleague of mine whinging he never got upgrades, when at that precise moment he had an upgraded key card in his hand. Some upgrades are more obvious than others.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 5:08 am

It's worth noting that length-of-stay also can affect upgrades. If your stay is 1 night, your chances of getting upgraded are greater than a multi-night stay because the hotel doesn't lose the opportunity of selling that upgraded room the following day(s).
Old Mar 28, 2018, 11:42 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
In the US, almost anyone with a pulse who has read a blog post in the last 12 months will have Diamond, so most of the griping comes from there.
Elsewhere it’s a different story and Diamond upgrades are plentiful. From what I’ve read for 2018, I get the feeling that Hilton is starting to widen the gap in treatment between Diamond and Gold (again, I’m talking about non-US properties here) and that this process is likely to continue.
I’d say it’s a lot less likely to get an (unrequested) upgrade as a Marriott Plat in Europe than as Hilton Diamond (by upgrade I mean given something more than a Club Room).
Old Mar 28, 2018, 12:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I normally get upgraded, though it sometimes needs careful timing on the App check-in to either enable or disable the options. Here is the last thread I recall on Diamonds and upgrades:

Diamond yet never upgraded!

In it I tell an anecdote of a colleague of mine whinging he never got upgrades, when at that precise moment he had an upgraded key card in his hand. Some upgrades are more obvious than others.
An upgrade *should* be obvious. We've all been to the hotel that says "congratulations on your upgrade to a Deluxe room!!" when they know that's like 15 square feet larger than a standard room. I consider that front desk trickery, not an upgrade.

The way I view it is this:
- The best non-suite, non-club room (high floor, good view, away from elevator, etc.) = basic table stakes for Gold/Diamond room assignment. I don't think of it as an "upgrade" because I didn't get the room next to the elevator with a dumpster view.
- Club Level (that is, your room on the same floor with the lounge and that room maybe having some modest amenity enhancements) = a minor, but obvious, upgrade
- Jr Suite = an obvious upgrade...a nice, appreciated part of being Diamond. This should happen when the rooms are available.
- Large Suite = not expected, but really nice when it happens
- Presidential Suite = never expected, and the Diamond member should be required to immediately go to Flyertalk and rhapsodize endlessly about how great this property is. (I promise to do this, really.)
Old Mar 28, 2018, 12:57 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by bse118
Most of the time an upgrade just means space I won't use/don't need
Yup. Just more space in which to forget and leave stuff behind.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 1:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by cblaisd
Yup. Just more space in which to forget and leave stuff behind.
I like to leave at least one cell phone charger in that space. Sometimes also a belt or maybe one sock.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 1:19 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I got one last weekend at the Hilton Toronto Airport. After checking my records, this was the first upgrade I'd gotten that wasn't to a BS named "Executive", "View Room" etc. since July, 2017. I'm usually one to defend Hilton Diamond and two years ago I was averaging 70% suite upgrades but it's certainly changed a lot. I might add that my average property is not a Conrad etc. but the kind of places you used to be able to count on upgrades.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Pi think part of it is like with airline upgrades being down. Hilton is selling upgrades dirt cheap.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.