Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2014] DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Florida, USA {US-FL}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE to 2014] DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Florida, USA {US-FL}

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2002, 8:43 pm

Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan HiltonHhonors Diamond, Northwest Gold
Thanks all.

Believe it or not, despite reaching Diamond two years in a row (legitimately), I have never stayed at a HGI. There's always a first time, I guess. The rate on Orange Beach is too good to pass up.

I'm probably going to hotel hop since I'm not really on the vacation to do much of anything, want to explore as much as possible – and I could use the bonus booking points now that ALON and the like are increasing.

Humorous moment during my research: I call the Sandestin Hilton directly to ask what benefits a Diamond can expect to get. The woman at the front desk transfers me to the clueless Bell Captain, who promptly transfers me to Hilton's 800 reservations number.

Old Jan 8, 2003, 10:45 pm

Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan HiltonHhonors Diamond, Northwest Gold
Here's my trip report, to help out whomever might follow in my footsteps.

Night No. 1: Hilton Sandestin: The most expensive and worst stay on my trip. No upgrade. No apologies from the front desk about the lack of an upgrade. Two bfast coupons, however, good for the continental buffet only. $89 for the night plus our favorite extra: the $12 resort fee which includes free newspaper, free health club access, gated security at the entrance and discounts to activities around the resort. That's it. Oh boy. The indoor pool didn't have adult swim hours, which meant it was crawling with kids around midnight. The beach was OK, but nothing to write home about it. The worst part about the whole experience: When I checked out, the clerk never asked if everything was OK. And when I started to complain about the resort fee, saying I was paying for things that were already diamond privileges, he said coldly "everyone has to pay for it, sir." He basically cut me off when I tried to complain about the other stuff.

Night 2: Hampton Inn -- Fort Walton Beach off Santa Rosa Boulevard. A well-worn HI, as the previous poster said. In fact, I don't think I've seen one with older hallway carpets. The pool was incredibly small and outdoors. But there was very good customer service here. I actually took a wrong turn my first day and wound up at the HI. I went to the front desk, said I would be checking in tomorrow and as a Diamond was hoping for an oceeanview room. The woman reserved mine right then and there. It's a good thing too: Only five rooms in the hotel have an actual view of the beach, which isn't that great to look at but is still the beach. The breakfast, however, was the most ordinary spread I've ever seen at a HI. BTW, I got the HI touch with dasani and oreos. $62 a night.

HGI Orange Beach, Alabama: The best and cheapest of the bunch. For $43 a night, I got a top floor king-sized ocean-view room. They also gave me a free breakfast coupons and a coupon good for two waters from the pantry, but since they were out of water, they offered sodas or juice. The beach was beautiful, wide, totally litter-free and highly accessible. The front desk was extraorinarily helpful: they suggested restaurants that served royal red shrimp, a bigger rarer variety that tastes like lobster. One guy guy asked me later if I enjoyed the place. I did. I also enjoyed the hotel and the whole area, which was less commercial than Florida.

Hope this helps all future folks facing similar dilemmas about where to stay.
Old Jan 9, 2003, 10:24 pm

Sorry to hear about your BAD experience at SanDestin, but tried to warn you.

Maybe on your next trip you will be able to try the NEW Hilton at Pensacola Beach or the HI there. They certainly will be better than your experience at SanDestin, but don't know about your Alabama experience.

Nice report for others to read.
Old Jan 13, 2003, 9:19 pm

Can anyone recommend the DT - Ft Lauderdale Galleria?

I'm heading to FLL in April for a conference and the ES 17th Ave is already booked for that week.
Old Jan 14, 2003, 8:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Homewood Suites in Sunny Isles. This is a wonderful property, its a time share as well so you are getting a 2 BR place, with a nice deck, nice living room, fully equipped kitchen with full size appliances as well as the free internet access in the lounge area. Free Breakfast and a managers reception at night. I loved this place, the location was not so great but it is gated free parking so you can drive to SoBe in twenty minutes or less. I will go back her in a NY minute.

FLL Hilton; I had two stays there five days apart in early Jan and didn't like it. Fought for breakfast coupons, no lounge, the club floor is a dingy place, no u/g to speak of for this diamond. Two free drinks at the bar were nice. The attitude of the staff was not bad but it was pretty cold as well. Its a place where the cruise people stay and the lobby is full of luggage in the morning. I will look elsewhere next time but if I had too, I would do it again if the price was cheap. Definitely not a fan favorite.
Old Jan 14, 2003, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
The Hilton Marco Sialnd must have a new GM. I was given a preferred room, breakfast coupons, and welcome fruit amenity, without even asking and on a Priceline stay.

Although a bit old and a bit tatty, the Hiltom Melbourne does the same (no amenity) upgrading you to a very large corner suite if available.
Old Jan 14, 2003, 9:01 am

DT naples
Hilton naples
Hampton boyton beach-gateway blvd
hHmpton palm beach gardens
pleased with all of the above

HGI fort meyers-bad front desk- noise problem from sports team 2 nights in row -didn't handle well
Old Jan 14, 2003, 10:46 am

Key West Florida

Both Hilton and the new Doubletree are very nice.

Hampton Inn is getting a little dated.

But you can't beat Key West....like no other place in Florida.
Old Jan 14, 2003, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Hampton Inn & Suites Ft. Myers Beach on Summerlin Blvd. Excellent treatment as HH Gold - went out of their way to upgrade, provided free water/snacks as Gold amenity, very helpful and friendly front desk staff. Hotel isn't exactly in the "beach" part of Ft. Myers Beach (maybe 3-5 miles away) but good rate and great service made for a really nice stay.
Old Jan 14, 2003, 8:02 pm

Location: Louisville, KY, DL PM-MM, AA PLT, HH DIA, Marriott PLT, Avis CHM, Yada, Yada, Yada
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by mlsmn:

HGI fort meyers-bad front desk- noise problem from sports team 2 nights in row -didn't handle well[/B]</font>
Had a stay there last week with no problems. The front desk did everything right for a Diamond, 2 free waters, a snack, plus the $5 pantry coupon. They even had a masseuse set up in the lobby with free 2 minute massages.

Old Jan 15, 2003, 12:30 pm
Original Member

Programs: OnePass
Any intel on the Embassy Suites Fort Lauderdale 17th Street? Good, bad or indifferent?
Old Jan 15, 2003, 1:00 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Delta FO
Doubletree Naples is great - I stay there about twice a month - very reasonable rates, great staff, large suite rooms, and very clean - but make sure you ask for a room that does not have the a/c air handler in the bedroom - very noisy.
Old Jan 15, 2003, 2:33 pm

Programs: DL FO, HH Diamond, Hertz PC
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by IfItAintBoeing:

I'm heading to FLL in April for a conference and the ES 17th Ave is already booked for that week.
</font>
I stayed there a couple weeks ago (weekend). It is a bit run-down and has a 1970's feel to it. It was overrun with tourists. Excellent location, right on the water, 1/2 mile walk to the beach. There is a water taxi stop on the dock out back. They have an outdoor pool, lounge area, and white sand "beach". Was not offered breakfast coupons or upgraded (I am HH Gold). The bar did not have tonic water or Coke. There was something wrong with the lock on the door to my room - it took several trips back to the front desk (very slow elevators) to re-program the key (none of which seemed to make a difference) and I had to literally kick the door to open it for the rest of my stay. Room service did not bring Tabasco sauce. They charge you to park, whether valet or self-parking. I did get a warm bottle of water and a form letter welcoming me as a HHonors member. If you don't have high expectations and you can get an eastward-facing room, you'll probably be OK. It was quiet and the rooms were comfortable.
Old Jan 21, 2003, 7:36 am

Just back from a weekend stay at the Hilton Tampa Bay/North Redington beach resort and give it a thumbs up. I know it was mentioned before in this thread but not much in the way of specifics, so I thought I'd add: Very clean, gulf facing rooms had fabulous views,all rooms had balconies, pleasant and responsive staff, and the beach is just steps away.

I had three rooms with award points and all three were upgraded to gulf view (without asking) and included breakfast coupons. Sunday they serve a decent brunch and the regular coupons were applied towards the price so brunch netted $3.95 per person sans tax and tip.

Despite the cold weather down here in FL (I know - cold? , well, down here if it gets into the 30's at night it's a news event) we slept with the sliders open and the sound of the waves on the beach was wonderfully relaxing.

I'm sure to return.
Old Jan 21, 2003, 8:40 am

Programs: AA EXP / CK June 2018 (4MM - 15 years running) HH Lifetime Diamond
Hampton in Sunrise was fine, there is a new one being built by SawGrass Mills. A mall I really enjoy. Cheesecake factory and all.

CEP.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by IfItAintBoeing:

</font>

[This message has been edited by CoyoteExecPlatinum (edited 01-21-2003).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.