Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2014] DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Florida, USA {US-FL}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE to 2014] DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Florida, USA {US-FL}

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2004, 5:32 pm

Programs: Marriott:Plat Hilton:Diamond Starwood:Gold DL:Gold WN: Comp Pass
There is no way to go from the hotel in KW to the Sunset Key property on an upgrade, diamond or otherwise. The Sunset Key property in not even available on HH points ; this is a cash cow for HH and they want to keep it that way, especially since the lowest rack is over $500 a night...take the launch for lunch or dinner if you're at the Hilton property
Old Mar 23, 2004, 6:10 am

My wife and I stayed at the Hilton Key West in late January for 5 nights on points (had to use a GLONP (175K points) as nights X 5 would have been 200K points. Threw away the last night. At check in, we were upgraded to a suite in the building across from the one where we checked in (sorry, can't remember the room number). The suite was great with a living room with large tv and bathroom along with private balcony overlooking the shark tank in the aquarium next door and ocean views. The rooms on the other side of the building would have looked directly at the cruise ships that tie up there, sometimes more than once a day and sometimes more than one at a time. We could not see the sunset from our room, but because of the cruise ships, the rooms on the other side couldn't either. The bedroom was huge with king bed, bathroom, tv, desk, in-room safe, and another private balcony. The room was spotless. At check-in, we got 10 continental breakfast coupons, the value of which could be used for anything on the menu. We received two bottles of water and turn-down service with a mini-box of chocolates for each of us EACH DAY.
Old Mar 24, 2004, 10:25 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Wizard250:
My wife and I are going for our 1st year anniversary in late April. I booked us for 3 nights at the Hilton Key West Resort and Marina on HH points (I'm Diamond Status). I have since heard that the Sunset Key Guest Cottages are fantastic (also run by Hilton, but on a separate private island). I have 2 questions for FT readers: 1) Does anyone have any tips/reviews of the Hilton Key West Resort and Marina (e.g. good rooms/bad rooms, suites) and 2) Does anyone know what's the best way to try to get a Diamond upgrade to the Sunset Key Guest cottages (e.g. should I try calling in advance?) I know the hotel is booked solid for the weekend I'm going there, does that play in my favor? Any other tips on this property would be much appreciated!!</font>
I would say your chances of getting upgraded to the Sunset cottages are about nil...just like the previous poster mentioned, they are high dollar...but do take the launch and go eat on Sunset Key..the restaurant there is very good.

As far as upgrades, my guess during the time you're going would also be slim. I say this because I'm also Diamond, and my now husband and I stayed there for our wedding (and honeymoon) the week of November 10th of 2003. When I made the reservation (about 6 months in advance) the nice Diamond desk rep specifically put in our res that we were getting married and honeymooning there. We didn't get a room upgrade...we got "Oh, you're getting married, how nice.." (better than a sharp stick in the eye, I guess!) We did receive the breakfast coupons, and we used them every day...the view from the outside deck at Bistro 245 really is nice. (Provided there isn't a cruise ship blocking it!)

A co-worker of mine stayed there last August, and she and her husband (also Diamond status) didn't even get the breakfast coupons...

So, have fun, but don't be disappointed if you don't get an upgrade.

Edited to add...actually, my mistake...we DID receive an upgrade, just not to a suite...we got a "water view" room...and you could see the water, if you leaned out on the balcony a little...it was the least impressive "upgrade" I've ever gotten...so what I meant to say was "don't be disappointed if you don't get a suite.."

[This message has been edited by Kaiserin (edited Mar 24, 2004).]
Old Mar 25, 2004, 12:50 pm

sounds like i'm out of luck on the Sunset Key...i'll still try the idea of faxing the GM prior to arrival and cross my fingers! Thanks for all your help!
Old Mar 25, 2004, 3:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
This seems somewhat common within HH: hotels-within-hotels that are unattainable for upgrades or points. I know HHV has one (Ali'i Tower) and doesn't the Waldorf have one? How many total Hilton properties in the world are either entirely off-limits or have hotels-within-hotels that are off-limits?

I know Starwood has one or two that have kinda been taken off the board - they are still there, but the points to redeem are waaaaay off the charts compared to even their top published category. I don't know about Marriott: the Tier 2 Ritzes are not cheap, but I don't think any members of the chain are blocked out.
Old Mar 25, 2004, 3:51 pm

Programs: LH HON,BA GGL GfL,Hyatt LT Glob,Mrtt LT P,Hilt LT D,IC Amb,Acc P,GHA Tit,LHW Strlg,Sixt/Av/Hz D/Pres
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by pinniped:
This seems somewhat common within HH: hotels-within-hotels that are unattainable for upgrades or points. </font>
Same thing with the water villas in the Hilton Maldives.

Old May 4, 2004, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Does anyone have an update on the Doubletree Grand Hotel Biscayne Bay?

Thanks.
Old Jun 24, 2004, 9:33 pm

Hilton HHonors Properties in Key West

I'm taking my 8 yr old on a vacation to Key West in July for a week. Could anyone tell me which one is "best"--the Hilton or the Doubletree, etc., etc.

Thanks. If you could reply asap, i'd appreciate it, as i need to book my award reservation.

This thread is terrific.
Old Jun 24, 2004, 9:44 pm
Suspended

No question the Hilton Key West.
Hope you werent planning/hoping for July 4th weekend - the property is fully booked.

mike
Old Jun 24, 2004, 9:53 pm

Thanks for the quick reply

No, not the July 4th weekend; have already checked availability. Just wanted to get feedback on which property was the best since these are hard earned points...lol. Thanks again for the quick reply.

Originally Posted by MIKESILV
No question the Hilton Key West.
Hope you werent planning/hoping for July 4th weekend - the property is fully booked.

mike
Old Jun 28, 2004, 12:10 pm

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond,Continental Gold, Marriott Silver, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by randix
I'm taking my 8 yr old on a vacation to Key West in July for a week. Could anyone tell me which one is "best"--the Hilton or the Doubletree, etc., etc.

Thanks. If you could reply asap, i'd appreciate it, as i need to book my award reservation.

This thread is terrific.
I was in Key West last October, and stayed at the Doubletree Grank Key. There was a little snafu when we checked in, but the mgmt and staff more than made up for it. The property was beautiful. Your 8 yr old will love the pool. Enjoy Key West!
Old Jun 28, 2004, 1:00 pm

Programs: Marriott:Plat Hilton:Diamond Starwood:Gold DL:Gold WN: Comp Pass
Talking My K.W. choice

I have stayed at both the full service Hilton on the Mallory dock area and the DT Grand Resort. If it's kids, go to the DT, large pool, nice roomy property. DT is somewhat quiter and less hub-bub of the party-ing that comes from the duval St. area. if you have a car, they chg. $10 to self park, I think its a rip, but no choice in the matter. Gold/Diamond gets the breakfast too.

The Hilton is tops too but alittle more into the party scene. The pool area is smaller at the Hilton. Valet parking here, $$ I forget. Breakfast for Gold/Dia.

If the issue of getting to Duval Street from the DT is in your mind, there is a shuttle run by the DT to downtown (2 locations) or you can take the Bone Is. shuttle around the island. Forget cabs, $15-18 on the meter from the DT to Mallory area.

The other HH property on the island is a Hampton; forget it!

Enjoy! ^
Old Jun 28, 2004, 6:41 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Our family was just at the Key West Hilton! Oh my gosh ~ it is VERY family orientated. They have a Sunset Celebration every night where huge sailboats go by, a man juggling fire (on stilts!), the guy with the cats (that jump though fire rings) and Mallory Square is over a walk way. You are in the middle of everything at the Key West Hilton on Front street. GO to this property! You'll be very glad you did. I've stayed there five times now. It is within walking distance to the trains/trolly that goes through Key West. Many fine restaurants and other franchise restaurants such as Hard Rock Cafe, scooter rentals, everything that has anything to do with Key West. Cruise Ships come in from their Marina also. This past time we booked, I booked an ocean front room. Wasn't happy with the location. The rooms all seem the same but I booked ocean front and as a HH Gold was given a second floor room with two huge trees growing next to each other in front of our balcony and blocking at least sixty percent of the "ocean" view! I'd stay there again with hesatation though. Key West is so much fun....
Old Jun 29, 2004, 6:00 am

Programs: HH, NWA
We haven't stayed at the Hilton. Have been to the DoubleTree each winter for the last 3 years. The location of the Hilton is nice as it's downtown where all the action is. However the shuttle at the Doubletree can take you down there any time you want, and it's a beautiful property with a nice pool for kids. We like to go to Duval street and into town each day for dinner, shopping, lunch etc., but you can only take so much of it and we feel no need to stay down there. As Golds they've always given us coupons for continental breakfast, and for 3.50 you can upgrade to the full hot breakfast buffet. No charge for kids, so for 7.00 all three of us get a very nice breakfast each morning.

Definitely to to Mallory Square for Sunset Celebration. It's beautiful and some of the entertainers are great.

I agree about staying away from the Hampton - haven't been there but it doesn't look too good.
Old Jun 29, 2004, 8:37 am

I stayed at the Hilton with my girls, ages 6 and 8. We had a great stay. Lots of entertainment for the kids, and adults too for that matter. We had a waterfron room, which was great until the cruise ships pulled in abd blocked the view. Enjoy!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.