Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2014] DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Florida, USA {US-FL}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE to 2014] DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Florida, USA {US-FL}

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2003, 8:56 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond USAirways CP Hertz Pres Cir
Avoid the Doubletree Club Miami Airport!

Great location, but crappy hotel. Older, refurbished, but some furniture in the room is still old, and overall the rooms have the feel of a cheap hotel.

Instead, pay up for the regular Hilton Miami Airport (next door), or go down the street to the Radisson, which is fantastic (although you won't get HHonors points -- for me, I'd skip the points to avoid the DT Club Miami Airport).

[This message has been edited by elbidercni (edited 01-21-2003).]
Old Feb 23, 2003, 10:52 am

Rather than post a new topic and half of my question deals with the Hilton in Key West, here are my questions.

1. My wife loves looking for shells on the beach. I hear Marco/ Sanibel are two of the best. Any insight?
2. Anybody stay at the Hilton Marco Island recent?
3. Where did you fly into?
4. Key West & Hilton sounds sweet

I am debating between Key West and Marco Island for a quick 3-4 day get away in early May. I don't want to tear up a whole day flying. We have never been to either location. Key West / E. Hemingway holds a lot of personal appeal, but Marco sounds more relaxing. Not sure which one is easier to fly into.

Thanks,

G
Old Feb 23, 2003, 11:34 am

I think I can help with question 1.

Sanibel does have a good beach for shells, but as so many people go there to pick them up, I'd recommend looking for them in the early morning. Later in the day and only the broken ones are left.

Correct me if my geography is incorrect, but I think Sanibel is up near Fort Myers....not really near Key West.
Old Feb 24, 2003, 7:58 pm

Programs: DL FO, HH Diamond, Hertz PC
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Gandalf:
Rather than post a new topic and half of my question deals with the Hilton in Key West, here are my questions.

1. My wife loves looking for shells on the beach. I hear Marco/ Sanibel are two of the best. Any insight?
2. Anybody stay at the Hilton Marco Island recent?
3. Where did you fly into?
4. Key West & Hilton sounds sweet

I am debating between Key West and Marco Island for a quick 3-4 day get away in early May. I don't want to tear up a whole day flying. We have never been to either location. Key West / E. Hemingway holds a lot of personal appeal, but Marco sounds more relaxing. Not sure which one is easier to fly into.

Thanks,

G
</font>
Sanibel has a better repultation than Marco for shells, but either would be better than Key West.

Unless you are flying directly into Key West, you are looking at a 3-hour drive down US-1 from the mainland on a 2-lane road with infrequent passing zones. Either nice and relaxing or slow and frustrating, depending on your point of view. Not many airlines offer flights directly to EYW from their hubs - at one time DL did from ATL on Comair RJs, but not sure if that's still available. Another option is to fly into FLL and take American Eagle down to EYW. 45-minute flight on a turboprop - last time I flew it was about $150. If you only have 4 days, I would fly directly - you are going to lose half a day or more driving from the mainland.

The closest airport to Marco Island is probably Ft. Meyers, but could easily be driven to in a few (2-3) hours from FLL, MIA, TPA, PBI, or ORL (on interstates).

If you want a relaxing beach vacation, Marco Island is the way to go. If you want the Hemmingway experience, go to Key West.

One last thing - Key West does not have much of a beach, though some hotels may have some sandy areas (not sure what the Hilton has). Also, the water can be very shallow in most places. With Marco Island, you can walk for miles on a real beach and go swimming in the Gulf.
Old Feb 24, 2003, 8:15 pm

Programs: AA PLT and that's that!
Wow, I consider the drive to Key West one of the most beautiful drives in the country. I lived there before the re-built the bridges and loved it even then. Marco would be more relaxing though and is much better for finding shells.

[This message has been edited by tazi (edited 02-24-2003).]
Old Mar 11, 2003, 11:45 am

HGV in Sarasota-Bradenton

Thinking this would be a more economical use of my HHonors points than staying for 2 or 3 days at the Hilton Long Boat Key. Will be looking at real estate during the day. Its the first week of June, so it will be at the new points rates. The HGV is a 2 and the Hilton will be a 5. Just want to know what this place is like. Nice rooms, free breakfast for a Gold, things like that.
Old Mar 11, 2003, 12:06 pm

Found an Hampton Inn Sarasota on I-75 that is also a #2, but there's an Hampton Inn Sarasota/Bradenton, near the airport that's just a #1. This would be great if it were clean and safe. Anyone know?
Old Mar 11, 2003, 12:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP-1.6MM, Hilton Diamond, ManU & Chicago Bears #1 Fan
lorra,
I've never stayed at either property, but they both are fairly new. The area around the airport is so-so, especially the further south you go on 41. The one off I-75 is right by the Doctor's hospital. There are many of the regular 'touristy/highway' restaurants around. Both locations are a drive to any beaches. I suppose if you are just there to sleep at night, either one would be ok. Good luck on your hunt for the house!!!
Old Mar 11, 2003, 3:53 pm

andrzej: Thank you for the info. This is just a scouting trip. We've visited before & liked all the things to do in that area & thought that it might be a good area for a small vacation place. We had stayed at the Long Boat Key Club, but we don't want to spend much money, or points, on this. We're using time added to a business trip to keep down airfare & rental car.
Old Mar 11, 2003, 4:39 pm
Suspended

If you're set on Hamptons, I would stay at the I75/BeeRidge one. Although it's what I call 'interstate exit' hotel, it's newer and more centrally located if your interests are Sarasota, and not Bradenton. The neighborhood is more interesting, and I guess somewhat safer. Good Luck!
Old Mar 11, 2003, 9:02 pm

Lorra:

Tell me about the Longboat Key Club relative to the Hilton! I need to take my wife away for her birthday and the Hilton looked a little run down from the pictures I could find. Also, what about the Ritz in Sarasota, is that an equivalent option.

thank you very much,
marc
Old Mar 12, 2003, 3:31 am
Suspended

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Marq:
Lorra:

Tell me about the Longboat Key Club relative to the Hilton! I need to take my wife away for her birthday and the Hilton looked a little run down from the pictures I could find. Also, what about the Ritz in Sarasota, is that an equivalent option.

thank you very much,
marc
</font>
Although I live on Siesta Key, I have not been to Longboat key in years. So can't tell you anything about the Hilton there. Rit-Carlton is a new property, but it's not located on a beach. It is beautiful. About 6 months ago they started on a beach club on Lido Key, but I'm not sure if it's done, or if they allow beach excess just yet. They will have a shuttle run back and forth for the guests. Just call and ask. There are public beaches a short drive from the hotel.
There is also a new Raddisson on Lido Key, located directly on the beach. Seems like a nice place.
If you really want to have a romantic weekend with your wife, try this place on Siesta Key:
http://www.turtlebeachresort.com/
This is a whole different experience then the bigger hotels, so I'm not sure it's what you're looking for.
Have a great trip!

Old Mar 12, 2003, 5:03 pm

Thanks for the link to turtle beach resort. However, we kind of like to get pampered when we travel. Do you know anything about the Resort at Longboat Key? Saw it in my book from Virtuoso; just don't know anyone that has stayed there.

marc
Old Mar 14, 2003, 9:10 am

About the Long Boat Key Club. Got a discount from somewhere and paid only $69/ a night. Our room overlooked a little boatyard type thing. It was a great room. My son was about 13(it was 4 years ago). He slept on a pull out couch in the room. There was a small, galley kitchen. We swam in the Gulf and the pool and had great Pina Coladas poolside. (virgin for my son). Played tennis also(we are terrible at tennis). Played for free and no one bothered us. Very nice people at the pro-shop. The boys went to Sarasota & took a charter out, deepsea fishing & I took the Club tram back and forth to St. Armand's Circle for shopping and lunch. I was the only one on both ways and it was great. The place is gated & we felt safe enough to leave my son with dinner and videos while we went dining and dancing one night.
Old May 23, 2003, 1:01 pm

Programs: LH HON,BA GGL GfL,Hyatt LT Glob,Mrtt LT P,Hilt LT D,IC Amb,Acc P,GHA Tit,LHW Strlg,Sixt/Av/Hz D/Pres
Florida: Fontainebleau or Marco Island - which is better?

Title says it all - thanks for your advice!

(And yes - I have done a few searches, but would appreciate some current opinions .)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.