Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi {MDV}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi {MDV}

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2019, 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by jphripjah
I guess I'm not a "foodie" as I've never paid anything like $388++ for dinner for one person, before drinks.
I like food. OK with paying a premium price for excellent food. But almost $500US for dinner (not underwater) excluding alcohol is absurd! I will be eating the $18 tacos and sneak a picture of us sitting in the “birds nest” when no one is looking.

TD
Old Jun 22, 2019, 5:13 pm

Does the $388 include tax, gratuity?
Old Jun 22, 2019, 6:02 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by iluvdoco
Does the $388 include tax, gratuity?
I can't imagine it does.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 6:08 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by alanslegal
Diamond benefits appear much better at the WA (breakfast, happy hour, afternoon tea vs just breakfast at Bora Bora).
WA doesn't have the one hour afternoon tea + one hour happy hour like at CMRI, correct?

Just 16:00 - 17:00? "afternoon delights" + drinks?
Old Jun 22, 2019, 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by mb123

It is common in most hotels, that breakfast is held at the biggest venue..and that’s very often the all-day-dining- restaurant.

I don’t understand your problem. Having the choice between 2 restaurants for breakfast as in Rangali is an exemption.

I'm not comparing the WA Ithaafushi to what is common at most hotels throughout the entire Hilton brand. I'm comparing it to Conrad Maldives Rangali Island, where I enjoyed the option to have breakfast at Vilu (or Mandhoo when Vilu is closed). It was a better atmosphere, nicer view, fewer children, and you could get items cooked to order. Much better than the main restaurant.

If WA Ithaafushi only offers one of its eleven restaurants for breakfast then this means that every single guest at the resort (300+ people?) while be eating breakfast there. This is a downgrade from what is offered at CMRI. The compression of afternoon tea and happy hour into one hour is also a downgrade from CMRI.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 6:34 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
If anyone is expecting a review from me of Terra in two weeks time, I must disappoint you now. As much as we love dining at (fine/gastronomy/inventive/named/awarded/hard to reserve table) restaurants there is no way we could justify paying that amount of money. For example, Terra's tasting menu is about 15% more than the best restaurant in the USA and around 40% more than the best restaurant in the world. Go figure.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 6:41 pm

WA doesn't have the one hour afternoon tea + one hour happy hour like at CMRI, correct?

Just 16:00 - 17:00? "afternoon delights" + drinks?
Yes you are correct - my mistake.

Also we would like take this opportunity to highlight the Hilton Honors benefits exclusively for Diamond members:

§ Complimentary breakfast at our all day dining restaurant, Tasting Table.

§ In-villa VIP welcome Champagne, sweet and savoury amenities

§ With a selected 60-minute massage, enjoy a complimentary additional 30-minute at Waldorf Astoria Spa

§ Complimentary daily afternoon delights with a fine selection of beverages crafted by mixologist and sommelier from 16:00 to 17:00 at Peacock Alley

§ 50% special offer on selected beverages at Nava Beach Club from 22:00 to 23:30.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 7:59 pm

Well, looks like I just got priced out of Terra. I can't justify $800+ for one dinner per couple.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 8:18 pm

This is from Anantara Kihavah. Personally I think the underwater experience is better than a "tree top experience". The menu at Anantara seems less "cliche" than the one at the WA.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 9:01 pm

Programs: Emirates Gold, United Silver, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Discoverist, Delta Gold
If anyone is expecting a review from me of Terra in two weeks time, I must disappoint you now. As much as we love dining at (fine/gastronomy/inventive/named/awarded/hard to reserve table) restaurants there is no way we could justify paying that amount of money. For example, Terra's tasting menu is about 15% more than the best restaurant in the USA and around 40% more than the best restaurant in the world. Go figure.
Alanslegal, no review of Terra. Come on man, take one for the team! (Kidding)
Wonder how my friends and relatives would respond if I iniated a “go fund me” campaign for Terra
Old Jun 22, 2019, 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by Moflav

Wonder how my friends and relatives would respond if I iniated a “go fund me” campaign for Terra
I will probably go to Terra. It's a splurge, but considering I got the room for "free". I don't mind. I was budgeting $35,000 for a 10 Maldives trip (3 people, April). Now I'm expecting to pay about 18-24. So psychologically I don't mind splurging.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 9:21 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond.
I will be staying in two weeks. I am a diamond. Will report back my stay.

I must warn you however that I am a Waldorf fanboy.

Really enjoyed reading this thread. Some great posters here at FlyerTalk.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 9:57 pm

Don’t worry, it’s still not as expensive as some restaurants (Masa in NYC) so it is justified. /s

Old Jun 22, 2019, 10:06 pm

Can you order a la carte at Terra? You know, just a salad. And split it. And bring your own bottles of water, course.

Old Jun 22, 2019, 10:17 pm

Originally Posted by Moflav
Ha ha ha I was thinking about a Go Fund campaign page too

I'll probably check out all the restaurants and make decisions where to dine when we are there. Based on price we are unlikely to go however IF we "feel" that the ambience/decor/setting matches the price point - we can be easily swayed. I don't want to be dining all alone in the sparse tree tops if you know what I mean.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.