Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2014 to 2017] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE 2014 to 2017] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2017, 9:15 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by lhrhappy
My tippling sense just tingled!

I hear ya. I'll be on the lookout for ya when we're at the Conrad. Overpriced cocktails are on me. Ozzie Ozzie Ozzie!
I'll take you up on that offer You will not miss me if I wear my Aussie flag like a cape at Rangali Bar
Old Dec 9, 2017, 12:00 am

Originally Posted by hyperzulu
Yes. I don't remember dealing with mosquito bites while there last time though, and I didn't even use any repellent. I don't work for the CDC, but it seems the majority of cases involving birth defects for some inexplicable reason seem to be disproportionately higher in Brazil. Plenty of cases of Zika in places like Mexico, but even of those cases where a woman was pregnant, only a small percentage have resulted in birth defects in the fetus. Women are still getting pregnant in Mexico. They're still getting pregnant in Brazil. If taking precautions means you have to move to Alberta, then I think I might as well give up on children entirely. Presumably so should everyone living in the tropics.

In my opinion if one is going to be super concerned about catching Zika, they should choose another destination. Not because your fears make you a magnet for Zika-carrying mosquitoes, but more so I think you'll just ruin your vacation. I would likely be more worried about her out and about, day to day, driving in LA traffic.
This is going to get slightly off topic but as a parent you do whatever you need to do to protect your children. If there's even the slightest of risks that they will be born with devastating and life changing defects and it's within your control to remove that risk then you do. A trip to the Maldives to spend some Hilton points kind of pales into insignificance when you consider what could happen. I'm a new Dad (my daughter is 2) and it's amazing how your outlook changes when you realise that you're completely responsible for the well being of a little person. It's a steep learning curve and one I'm still adjusting to but their best interests have to come first every time. In the first year of having our daughter we cut back our long haul travel but thankfully there's still lovely easy to reach places like the Cote d'Azur that we were able to go to instead. Since turning 1 she has done a huge amount of travel with us and loves every second of it but I'm still glad that we put her interests first whilst my wife was pregnant. Whatever you choose to do becoming a parent is incredible and your life changes in the most amazing way imaginable.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 12:26 am

Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
jonparr comes out of the woodwork, LOL!
Haha! Actually I hadn't been on the thread for a couple of years until just now! Hope you're keeping well and still enjoying your trips to Rangali!
Old Dec 9, 2017, 6:01 am
SST

Originally Posted by MissVacation
I contacted the hotel regarding drone policy as I m planning to bring one for aerial photos (not other guests of course) and here are the details:

At the time of arrival you will be briefed by designated GSA drone operation policy of the resort.

Drones are allowed to fly from designated location and that is the supply jetty area.

Drones flown for any aerial view of the resort and its surrounding lagoon should be flown at or above 50 meters from the ground.

Safety & Security Manager or his designated will issue all drone flying permission and for such request guest should be contacted by Guest Service Agent (GSA) or senior front office member.

Drones are not allow to fly:

Above guest Villa

Beach in front of guest villa.

Public beach of the resort.

these may may be the rules, but I am sorry to report that a neighbor was out with a drone at sundown tonight, on the beach in front of the beach villas. So much for communication and enforcement of this “policy”.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 8:52 am

Originally Posted by jonjparr
This is going to get slightly off topic but as a parent you do whatever you need to do to protect your children. If there's even the slightest of risks that they will be born with devastating and life changing defects and it's within your control to remove that risk then you do. A trip to the Maldives to spend some Hilton points kind of pales into insignificance when you consider what could happen. I'm a new Dad (my daughter is 2) and it's amazing how your outlook changes when you realise that you're completely responsible for the well being of a little person. It's a steep learning curve and one I'm still adjusting to but their best interests have to come first every time. In the first year of having our daughter we cut back our long haul travel but thankfully there's still lovely easy to reach places like the Cote d'Azur that we were able to go to instead. Since turning 1 she has done a huge amount of travel with us and loves every second of it but I'm still glad that we put her interests first whilst my wife was pregnant. Whatever you choose to do becoming a parent is incredible and your life changes in the most amazing way imaginable.
I agree it's not really a topic to go into great detail on this thread. Congrats to you and your wife though!
Old Dec 9, 2017, 10:08 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
Hi all
please try to contain your comments involving other races and their appropriateness for staying at this property. Thanks.
SqueakrCo-mod Hilton Honors
Old Dec 10, 2017, 7:47 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, NZ Gold, BA Gold
Today

As someone who is currently here on our honeymoon, we’re having an absolutel blast!! I will report back in a few days but we’re already planing our return visit
Old Dec 10, 2017, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It seems perfectly reasonable to report the behaviour of certain types of guests if that is a common occurrence and their behaviour detracts from the pleasure of the resort. It certainly would be an element of guidance. I doubt there would be many objections if a resort had a particular tendency to attracts profiles of guests who create an uncomfortable atmosphere in the face of say LGBT persons.

Racism is just an excuse to shut it down.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by jonjparr
Haha! Actually I hadn't been on the thread for a couple of years until just now! Hope you're keeping well and still enjoying your trips to Rangali!
Great thanks. We will be making a 30 or 35-night trip to Rangali at the end of next year if all goes as planned.

And happy that everything is well and good with the new baby. Any videos of your trip(s) to Cote d'Azur by any chance? Surely there's another jonparr special vid lurking around in that woodwork I mentioned.....
Old Dec 10, 2017, 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
Any videos of your trip(s) to Cote d'Azur by any chance? Surely there's another jonparr special vid lurking around in that woodwork I mentioned.....
Of course! Here's a link to a couple of my latest videos!

Chateau Saint-Martin & Spa, Private Villa
link:

Four Seasons at the Surf Club, Miami Beach
link:
Old Dec 10, 2017, 5:16 pm

Programs: UA, AA, AS, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hilton Diamond
I did a search of this thread and saw only one post regarding using gift cards. Someone mentioned that Hilton gift cards are not accepted at the Conrad Maldives? Is this true? AMEX Offers has a promo now where you can get $10 back on $50 Hilton gift card purchases up to 4x, so I thought I would get a few of them to use in Jan at the resort during check-out.

Can anyone confirm that the Conrad Maldives really doesn't accept any Hilton gift cards for room/incidental/restaurant payment? Thanks for any info!
Old Dec 10, 2017, 7:47 pm

Programs: AA,CX, BA, Priority Club, SPG, Hilton
Originally Posted by glu800
I did a search of this thread and saw only one post regarding using gift cards. Someone mentioned that Hilton gift cards are not accepted at the Conrad Maldives? Is this true? AMEX Offers has a promo now where you can get $10 back on $50 Hilton gift card purchases up to 4x, so I thought I would get a few of them to use in Jan at the resort during check-out.

Can anyone confirm that the Conrad Maldives really doesn't accept any Hilton gift cards for room/incidental/restaurant payment? Thanks for any info!
Last year I tried but failed to use. The front desk even called to back office to see if they could accept. She tried to swipe... etc... didnt work out.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 9:41 pm

Thanks for that data point, Fly2Where. I'll add that to the wiki.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 12:25 am

Programs: UA, AA, AS, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hilton Diamond
Thanks Fly2Where! That's disappointing to hear If anyone else has any data points about using Hilton gift cards in 2017, please let us know! Thanks.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 6:27 am

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by noddie09
As someone who is currently here on our honeymoon, we’re having an absolutel blast!! I will report back in a few days but we’re already planing our return visit
Are they still leaving stuffed sea creatures on your bed? There were reports earlier this year that the stuffed animals were no longer available.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.