Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2014 to 2017] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE 2014 to 2017] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2017, 8:17 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, TK Elite, Hilton Diamond
Just booked 5 reward nights for 380,000 in a Water villa for next Christmas. The cheapest, non refundable rate for a WV is currently USD 2,205++ for the dates (22-27 December 2018), so it represents excellent value for points.

We had such an amazing time there earlier this year, just can't wait to go back and didn't want to miss out after saving up all our points
Old Dec 26, 2017, 8:27 pm

Has anyone gone on the Whale Shark tour these past few weeks (Nov/Dec 2017) and saw these creatures?
Where do they bring you? Do they actually bring you all the way to Sun Island or Lily Beach water regions?
I heard Nov/Dec is statistically the best months to spot them even though they are technically around all year in South Ari Atoll

Was looking through old posts and it seems the last time this was discussed was by ScubaRoo and that was abt his trip in Q1 this year.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 10:43 am

Anyone have tips on traveling to Maldives from LAX?

Going for 5 days and is hoping to minimize as much travel time.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 1:45 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
Not sure this is appropriate for HH forum but…

If the thread doesn’t goes too far astray I’m fine with leaving it here. But too many off-topic replies will warrant those posts moving to another forum.Thanks for your cooperation.SqueakrCo mod HH

Originally Posted by ponickka
Old Dec 28, 2017, 11:03 am

Programs: AS 100K
For the poster upthread that was asking about WV upgrade prices, this is what I was quoted for April, 2018. Will probably circle back and try to negotiate for a slightly lower price.

Water Villa to Superior Water Villa USD316.62 including tax per night additional.

Water Villa to Deluxe Beach Villa USD678.83 including tax per night additional.

Water Villa to Retreat Water Villa USD1,222.14 including tax per night additional.

Water Villa to Deluxe Water Villa USD2,037.72 including tax per night additional.

Water Villa to Premier Water Villa USD4,346.49 including tax per night additional.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 7:18 pm

I guess it depends. Cathay and Aeroflot might be the worst if you're looking to maximize time in the Maldives and minimize time in transit. Cathay arrives into MLE at night and Aeroflot has a really long connection in SVO.

I would probably avoid Turkish.

Emirates, Etihad and Qatar fly one-stop runs to MLE and arrive between 7am (Emirates) and 2pm (Etihad). The resort will allow you to stroll around, but there's no guarantee that your room will be ready if you're there at 10am.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 10:49 pm

Originally Posted by hyperzulu
I guess it depends. Cathay and Aeroflot might be the worst if you're looking to maximize time in the Maldives and minimize time in transit. Cathay arrives into MLE at night and Aeroflot has a really long connection in SVO.

I would probably avoid Turkish.

Emirates, Etihad and Qatar fly one-stop runs to MLE and arrive between 7am (Emirates) and 2pm (Etihad). The resort will allow you to stroll around, but there's no guarantee that your room will be ready if you're there at 10am.
Why would you avoid Turkish? They arrive to Male at 2pm and are known from very nice planes and good service. Just wondering since I will be using them for my trip next year and did some good research on them
Old Dec 29, 2017, 1:02 am

Programs: SPG Plat, HH Dia, United Plat
Originally Posted by MJJW1985

Why would you avoid Turkish? They arrive to Male at 2pm and are known from very nice planes and good service. Just wondering since I will be using them for my trip next year and did some good research on them
Also agree they are a solid option for getting to Rangali from the west coast. Even if you have a long layover, they provide free tours of the city (touristanbul > How to apply ?) and have in IST one of the best lounges globally.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 2:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
What are the least expensive places at the resort to eat for lunch and dinner? For each, what might I expect a meal to cost without alcohol?
Old Dec 29, 2017, 2:23 am

Programs: M&M SEN (*G), HH Diamond
Originally Posted by SAT Lawyer
What are the least expensive places at the resort to eat for lunch and dinner? For each, what might I expect a meal to cost without alcohol?
I would say Rangali Bar. A few examples:

Beef Tenderloin 200g : USD 46++
Chicken Biryani : USD 34++
Beer: USD 10++
Soft drink: USD 7++
(drinks half price between 5PM and 7PM)

++ is 23.2% extra
Old Dec 29, 2017, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by MJJW1985

There were issues with US passport holders getting visas. Apparently this has now been resolved and US passport holders are once again able to obtain e-visas on arrival. I'm just risk averse in that regard, but it seems a non-issue at this point. My concern would have been over missed connections and cancelled flights. While you don't need a visa to transit through Turkey, if you were stuck in IST for 24 hours waiting for another flight, not being able to leave the airport would have been a major drag.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 10:11 am

Originally Posted by hyperzulu
There were issues with US passport holders getting visas. Apparently this has now been resolved and US passport holders are once again able to obtain e-visas on arrival. I'm just risk averse in that regard, but it seems a non-issue at this point. My concern would have been over missed connections and cancelled flights. While you don't need a visa to transit through Turkey, if you were stuck in IST for 24 hours waiting for another flight, not being able to leave the airport would have been a major drag.
Thanks for the information. My 1st choice if using Chase UR is the Emirate route. 2nd was with United via Istanbul layover.

Both seems to take atleast 27+ hours (layover included). sigh - was hoping something shorter
Old Dec 29, 2017, 12:07 pm

Thanks for the information. My 1st choice if using Chase UR is the Emirate route. 2nd was with United via Istanbul layover.

Both seems to take atleast 27+ hours (layover included). sigh - was hoping something shorter
Perhaps Singapore Air can book you from LAX to SIN on United metal and then on to MLE on SilkAir. Leave LAX at 10:50pm, arrive at SIN at 6:50am (+2), then catch a SilkAir flight at 10:05am to MLE. This puts you in the Maldives at 11:40am. I believe this is the shortest route with a layover include (around 24.5 hours travel time). Not really sure if this would work or how much it would cost compared to other options.
Old Dec 30, 2017, 8:11 pm

Hi, anyone has experience with the Adventure Snorkeling excursion? Is it suitable for beginner swimmer? How is it different from Snorkeling Safari and Snorkeling Hopping?
Thanks

Last edited by leokungkin; Dec 30, 2017 at 10:21 pm
Old Dec 31, 2017, 1:46 am

Has anyone had experience of Rangali booking management not being able to view updated Hilton status? I sent off an email and received a reply today advising me they cannot see my updated Diamond status (3 x weeks ago updated). I enclosed our reservation numbers with the email so I assumed they had access to clients accounts which my account definitely shows I'm Diamond?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.