Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2014 to 2017] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE 2014 to 2017] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2017, 6:36 am

Programs: OW Emerald - HH Diamond
I did receive a shark this past time (my 2nd shark) in October. Love the shark.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 9:28 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, NZ Gold, BA Gold
Originally Posted by jasdou
Are they still leaving stuffed sea creatures on your bed? There were reports earlier this year that the stuffed animals were no longer available.
We’re currently on day 6 and not a shark or stuffed animal to be seen! I will ask today and see what they say.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 6:00 pm

Hey Everyone.

I've read through pretty much this whole thread and am very interested in booking here for a 7 night trip in October 2018. My wife and I have flights on hold (Qatar J and Etihad F) and enough Hilton points, but I just can't get myself to book the flights and finalize everything.

Our other option is Conrad Bora Bora (can only find award flights in economy, have 7 nights booked on points currently).

Something about the Conrad Maldives just looks incredible and the flights would obviously be much more comfortable. However it is prime season in Bora Bora and Monsoon season in Maldives.

I'm curious what some of you might do in my shoes?

I also have a question about the catamaran. We have a small Hobie cat we sail here in Michigan so I am very experienced, does anyone know exactly where you are allowed to take the catamaran?

Appreciate the help.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 7:53 pm

I have been to French Polynesia twice and once at Bora Bora, I haven't been to Maldives yet...will be on January so I can't compare the two yet. However, the Conrad Bora Bora's location isn't the best for the iconic views of Bora Bora's lagoon and mountain...the prime spots are IHG Bora Bora Thalasso (where we stayed), Le Meridien, Four Season, and St. Regis.

if you do decided on Bora Bora, I recommend to combine with Moorea, the Hilton there is really nice as well, and you can purchase the multi island pass with Air Tahiti, similar price as a roundtrip to Bora Bora from Tahiti. You can check out the pics and trip report of the Hilton Moorea and IHG Bora Bora on my blog: http://www.missvacation.net/category/french-polynesia-travel/

I'll report back after our Maldives trip and compare the two destinations
Old Dec 12, 2017, 9:16 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by keggers1
I'm curious what some of you might do in my shoes?
You really do not need to bring any shoes if you go to the Conrad Maldives :P

The Conrad Maldives is its own private islands so you are kind of held hostage there but in a good way. There are lots of restaurants to try out so 8 days will not be enough to try them all out or try the specialty dinners they have on multi-nights of the week. Everything is better (particularly food quality) at the Maldives than Bora Bora (well except the postcard views of Mount Otenamu). That said, we are going back to Bora Bora in 93 days time as we can and its "Bora Bora" where its a destination on everyones bucket list. And we are planning to go back to the Conrad Maldives 12 months after Bora Bora.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 9:44 pm
SST

I have been to Bora Bora twice and and am sitting writing this on my third trip to the Conrad Maldives. Food is MUCH better here in the Maldives, and the rooms are in generally better repair here. Getting flights to PPT is troublesome, while flights to MLE are generally available. I can’t speak to the weather issue as I’ve not been here during monsoon season, but that would worry me. Hopefully someone else’s report will help. I love the staff friendliness here in the Maldives. Snorkeling right off any beach by just walking in is more interesting in Bora Bora, while the House reef side of Rangali has the better coral reef life. Bora Bora has a whole island full of nice dinner excursions (which makes up for the hotel fare perhaps), but I like the evenings here in the Maldives better. I think dinner in the Maldives is more expensive, on-property. ( which is the only choice in the Maldives).
They are both among our favorite destinations in the world. Tahiti is closer from the US. We have always stopped somewhere going/coming from the Maldives.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 7:37 am

Programs: AA EP/4MM, DL GM/1MM, HH ♦, Bonvoy LT PLT, Hyatt Globalist, AMEX Bus Plt
Maybe it isn’t fair to ask here in this forum as you might get biased opinions towards the Maldives but I’ll chime in after having been to Bora Bora Hilton (Presidential villa paid upgrade) and then the Maldives four times.

I think the Polynesian culture and the mountains of French Polynesia are a plus over the Maldives. Also, it was nice to either bring your own wine or buy some French wine locally to have with room service in villa. Having said this I am glad we went but we are one and done with Bora Bora. We also went to the Hilton Moorea and liked it a bit better but was nice to do both in one trip.

The Maldives we keep coming back to. The overall beauty of the water and beaches are unlike anyplace we have been. The underwater life/snorkeling is incredible although French Polynesia is pretty darn good too. The food is incredible considering how isolated it is here. Much has been said about the expense of the seaplane rides but I think it is worth it for the views and the great arrival. I can’t help but think of Mr Roarke (Ricardo Montalban) and Tattoo greeting us upon arrival.

Also consider that monsoon season in the Maldives isn’t near as bad as monsoon in French Polynesia. I have a friend who couldn’t leave his overwater villa for three days in Bora Bora due to nonstop heavy rains.

With your J/F flight options it would make an easy choice for me.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 10:04 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton - Diamond, IHG - Spire Amb
Originally Posted by MissVacation
I have been to French Polynesia twice and once at Bora Bora, I haven't been to Maldives yet...will be on January so I can't compare the two yet. However, the Conrad Bora Bora's location isn't the best for the iconic views of Bora Bora's lagoon and mountain...the prime spots are IHG Bora Bora Thalasso (where we stayed), Le Meridien, Four Season, and St. Regis.

if you do decided on Bora Bora, I recommend to combine with Moorea, the Hilton there is really nice as well, and you can purchase the multi island pass with Air Tahiti, similar price as a roundtrip to Bora Bora from Tahiti. You can check out the pics and trip report of the Hilton Moorea and IHG Bora Bora on my blog: French Polynesia ? Miss Vacation

I'll report back after our Maldives trip and compare the two destinations
We've been to FP (moorea/bora bora) 2x and will be back in January for 2 weeks. I think THE absolute best was the sofitel private island end of the pontoon panoramic OWB that we had this year (sadly only a couple of nights there). We did the Thalasso 2016 for 7 nights and while the view was great, we were a bit bored because the snorkeling there is horrible. Snorkeling is soooo much better either Hilton Moorea or Sofitel Private island Bora Bora. We tend not to eat fancy while we are there so the dining options really don't influence us much (although, back to Sofitel Private Island, we had room service of locally caught steamed parrot fish while dining on our deck viewing the mountain of Bora Bora and that was fantastic).

I plan for 2019 2 weeks at Conrad Maldives Rangali so I will be able to compare to the Conrad Bora Bora.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by keggers1
I've read through pretty much this whole thread and am very interested in booking here for a 7 night trip in October 2018. My wife and I have flights on hold (Qatar J and Etihad F) and enough Hilton points, but I just can't get myself to book the flights and finalize everything.

Our other option is Conrad Bora Bora (can only find award flights in economy, have 7 nights booked on points currently).
I was in a similar situation a few months ago, but the limiting factor in my case was hotel availability. I wanted to stay at a nice tropical resort during high season. Bora Bora, Tahiti, and Bali were all but impossible to book using points because I couldn't find 10 consecutive nights anywhere. The Conrad Maldives was wide open.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 7:30 pm

Just booked 3 nights in a water villa with points for my honeymoon next december. Now I just have to wait a year!
Old Dec 14, 2017, 11:11 pm

Programs: M&M SEN (*G), HH Diamond
Originally Posted by rox0825
Just booked 3 nights in a water villa with points for my honeymoon next december. Now I just have to wait a year!
How many points did you have to fork out for that?
I would consider booking a Beach Villa on points and then paying for an upgrade (I do value my points) and maybe extending your stay to more than 3 nights.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 11:38 pm

Programs: HHonors-Lifetime Diamond; AA: Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by goliath
How many points did you have to fork out for that?
I would consider booking a Beach Villa on points and then paying for an upgrade (I do value my points) and maybe extending your stay to more than 3 nights.
It looks like there may have been a change in points pricing recently, the wife and I are looking to go back for my 40th birthday and the points rate was the same (95k/night) for the Beach Villa and Water Villa for a 5 night stay (w/ 5th night free, so 380k for 5 nights in either beach or water villa, I chose the water villa given the higher nightly paid rate and hoping that might lessen the quotes/rates for upgrades). Granted it is for a July stay, but I was surprised to see the Water Villa "discounted" to the standard Beach Villa rate.

Last edited by curleydbr; Dec 15, 2017 at 12:00 am
Old Dec 15, 2017, 2:28 am

Programs: TK Gold, Etihad Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold, IHG Gold.
I just checked and was able to change my reservation for February 2018 to a water villa.

Thanks Curleydbr for sharing.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 4:13 am

Programs: VA
Originally Posted by curleydbr
It looks like there may have been a change in points pricing recently, the wife and I are looking to go back for my 40th birthday and the points rate was the same (95k/night) for the Beach Villa and Water Villa for a 5 night stay (w/ 5th night free, so 380k for 5 nights in either beach or water villa, I chose the water villa given the higher nightly paid rate and hoping that might lessen the quotes/rates for upgrades). Granted it is for a July stay, but I was surprised to see the Water Villa "discounted" to the standard Beach Villa rate.
nice find. I personally prefer the beach villas myself but it’s good to have options
Old Dec 15, 2017, 5:38 am

Originally Posted by curleydbr
I was surprised and excited to see water villas for 95k per night. Still a lot of points but the best you can do with Hilton points. I may add a 4th night when my free night certificate posts in May, pending availability. I don't have a ton of PTO from work but we'll be in Singapore so a quick trip to the Maldives is better than no trip to the Maldives.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.